ajnrules

The Baseball Thread

Recommended Posts

I haven't met a lot of Bronies who are fans of the American pasttime, but if you happen to be one then sound off here!

We're now in the home stretch of the 2016 regular season and there are some promising storylines in the final few weeks.
-Who will win the Wild Card spots?
-When will Clayton Kershaw come back and resume his onslaught of 300 wins?
-Will this finally be the Cubs' year? Or will the Giants' Even Year Madness win out?

Discuss!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was born in Carson. That's a suburb of Los Angeles, so I'm a Dodgers girl. It's good to hear they overtook the Giants in the NL West race, and I'm hoping this is their year.

 

But my fiancée, who was born and raised In Minnesota is a diehard Twins fan, so he's been down in the dumps about their horrible records this season, and now he's giving his postseason support to the Rangers out of all people. Love is kinda hard sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I live in Norway, I have always been fascinated with baseball, sadly you don't get a lot of news about it here in Europe since well here it's all about Football/Soccer, people just look at you funny if you mention baseball.

 

So as someone who is definitely interested in the game but sorely lacks information on where to gain more knowledge on teams and plays and all that good stuff, where would one go to acquire it?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Askre said:

Although I live in Norway, I have always been fascinated with baseball, sadly you don't get a lot of news about it here in Europe since well here it's all about Football/Soccer, people just look at you funny if you mention baseball.

 

So as someone who is definitely interested in the game but sorely lacks information on where to gain more knowledge on teams and plays and all that good stuff, where would one go to acquire it?

Have you tried MLB.com?

 

If that doesn't work, I'm sure I can tell you everything you might need to know about the majors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately my team is about 12 games out of the wild card (Milwaukee)...so I'm sort of on the Royals, Astros, Indians and/or even Cubs bandwagon.

 

Though I wouldn't have a problem with the Giants continuing their weird even-numbered year dynasty either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SNESChalmers said:

Unfortunately my team is about 12 games out of the wild card (Milwaukee)

Has Jonathan Lucroy REALLY been failing to give the Brewers enough offensive support? I thought an all star catcher like him would make his team shine brighter rather  than them being that far down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

300 wins in today's game with the status quo of 5 man rotations is pretty much impossible now.  Kershaw's got 125 wins over 9 seasons with an average of 16 per.  He'd have to average 17.5 wins in each of the next 10 years to reach 300 and with his pitching style (he's not the finesse type like Greg Maddux was) I just don't see it happening.   Greinke is actually surprising me a lot more with his mediocrity with the Diamondbacks. 

Wild Card situation in the AL is pretty tight, especially in the AL east where hitting is at a premium given the nature of all of the ballpark.  I'd also like to see what the new CBA will hold.

As far as the Cubs are concerned baseball playoffs are such a crapshoot after 162 games that it wouldn't surprise me if the cubs got crushed like they did last season. Winning 100 out of those 162 is very impressive but baseball has such low winning %'s compared to other professional spots and you won't see top seeds absolutely crush weaker seeds nearly as much.  Seattle in 2001 won 116 games and that didn't help them.  Baseball, like others games, is a game of runs and streaks and you can win 110 games but if you go cold at the wrong time you're going to be out in 5 or 7.

3 hours ago, Aurora Wolf said:

Has Jonathan Lucroy REALLY been failing to give the Brewers enough offensive support? I thought an all star catcher like him would make his team shine brighter rather  than them being that far down.

Offense is contagious and when you put an offensive player on a team with lots of good hitters already it relieves a lot of that pressure.  Putting an all star catcher on a team like the Brewers isn't going to really pay dividends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, "User" said:

300 wins in today's game with the status quo of 5 man rotations is pretty much impossible now.  Kershaw's got 125 wins over 9 seasons with an average of 16 per.  He'd have to average 17.5 wins in each of the next 10 years to reach 300 and with his pitching style (he's not the finesse type like Greg Maddux was) I just don't see it happening.   Greinke is actually surprising me a lot more with his mediocrity with the Diamondbacks. 

Wild Card situation in the AL is pretty tight, especially in the AL east where hitting is at a premium given the nature of all of the ballpark.  I'd also like to see what the new CBA will hold.

As far as the Cubs are concerned baseball playoffs are such a crapshoot after 162 games that it wouldn't surprise me if the cubs got crushed like they did last season. Winning 100 out of those 162 is very impressive but baseball has such low winning %'s compared to other professional spots and you won't see top seeds absolutely crush weaker seeds nearly as much.  Seattle in 2001 won 116 games and that didn't help them.  Baseball, like others games, is a game of runs and streaks and you can win 110 games but if you go cold at the wrong time you're going to be out in 5 or 7.

Offense is contagious and when you put an offensive player on a team with lots of good hitters already it relieves a lot of that pressure.  Putting an all star catcher on a team like the Brewers isn't going to really pay dividends.

Yeah, I know, but still I thought Lucroy is the best player on the Brewers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Aurora Wolf said:

But my fiancée, who was born and raised In Minnesota is a diehard Twins fan, so he's been down in the dumps about their horrible records this season, and now he's giving his postseason support to the Rangers out of all people. Love is kinda hard sometimes.

What's the matter with the Rangers? They're not a bad team. They play hard and has been pretty good for the past couple of years (with the exception of 2014). Plus they play in the American League so it's not like they'll bother the Dodgers much, unless the two end up meeting in the World Series. (Of course, I'm probably biased because I've been a die-hard fan of the Rangers since I moved to Texas in 2009.)

 

5 hours ago, Aurora Wolf said:

Has Jonathan Lucroy REALLY been failing to give the Brewers enough offensive support? I thought an all star catcher like him would make his team shine brighter rather  than them being that far down.

Baseball is unique sport in that an offensive star is going to have a limited effect on a team's overall performance. It's not like basketball or football where a star player can carry a team. A hitter gets up to bat only one in nine plate appearances, so they won't be able to do much if the hitters around him keep making outs. It's like how Mike Trout the best player in the game right now but his team the Angels made the playoffs only once out of his five full seasons and are on pace for their second losing season in those five seasons. Of course it doesn't help that the Brewers traded Lucroy to the Rangers at the trading deadline, so they went from 47-56 (9 games out) to their current record of 59-76 (11.5 games out.) (Thanks for that, by the way. Lucroy has been terrific for the Rangers. XD)

 

8 hours ago, Askre said:

So as someone who is definitely interested in the game but sorely lacks information on where to gain more knowledge on teams and plays and all that good stuff, where would one go to acquire it?

I'm not sure what specific detail you need to learn about the plays or the rules of the game you want to learn about, but as Aurora Wolf says MLB.com is a good site to learn about the 30 teams in Major League Baseball and keep track of up to date scores. They also have places to learn about the rules of the game and the history of the game, but honestly if you want to learn about the history of the game Baseball Reference is the best site for that. It's got information about players dating back to the beginning of professional baseball in 1871 to now, and updates daily at the conclusion of every game. It's a great site for a baseball nerd although may be information overload for somebody trying to learn about the game. The best place to get direct information is probably in a chat. (And I know a good one connected to EQD where you can ask User or me any questions you want about the game. Check the Patreon. ;))

 

1 hour ago, "User" said:

300 wins in today's game with the status quo of 5 man rotations is pretty much impossible now.  Kershaw's got 125 wins over 9 seasons with an average of 16 per.  He'd have to average 17.5 wins in each of the next 10 years to reach 300 and with his pitching style (he's not the finesse type like Greg Maddux was) I just don't see it happening.   Greinke is actually surprising me a lot more with his mediocrity with the Diamondbacks.

Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and Randy Johnson have all pitched in the five-men rotation and the age of the specialized bullpens but they still managed to reach 300 wins. Studies have shown that what best determines whether or not a pitcher can reach 300 wins is not how much a pitcher can win early in their careers but how they do in their 30s and 40s that is the best predictor of 300 wins. Clemens went 208-116 after turning 30 and pitched until he was 45. Maddux went 196-120 and pitched until he was 42 etc. I feel the limiting factor may very well be every pitcher's worst nightmares: injuries. Kershaw was on a great pace but he's missed half a season due to his back. CC Sabathia was on a great pace but he hasn't won double digits since 2013 because of issues with his knees. Greinke and Felix Hernandez have both missed significant time this year due to injuries. It's not going to completely disqualify them from 300 wins, but it is going to make it a lot harder. But who knows, somebody might pitch well through their 30s into their 40s and surprise us with 300 wins. Heck, if Rick Porcello can prove this year wasn't a fluke and go on to win 20 games for the next four to five seasons then he'd be at 200 wins at the age of 32 and would be a great candidate for 300 wins.

Edited by ajnrules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ajnrules said:

What's the matter with the Rangers? They're not a bad team. They play hard and has been pretty good for the past couple of years (with the exception of 2014). Plus they play in the American League so it's not like they'll bother the Dodgers much, unless the two end up meeting in the World Series. (Of course, I'm probably biased because I've been a die-hard fan of the Rangers since I moved to Texas in 2009.)

Nothing, really. I was just REALLY HOPING that my fiancée would support the Dodgers just for me.

 

Turns out he's pretty stubborn about the American League and their precious Designated Hitters. He's still in my heart though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ajnrules said:

Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and Randy Johnson have all pitched in the five-men rotation and the age of the specialized bullpens but they still managed to reach 300 wins.

These pitchers all also started their careers in the 80s when racking up wins was far more common then today and in the case of Clemens was a PED user (and pitching that effectively for him into his 40's should have raised eyebrows).  So much shit was going on in baseball right after the players strike that they let people get away with because MLB needed to boost their sport after the major publicity hit it took.  I'm thankful though that the 80s/90s roid era is largely contained, at least I hope it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, "User" said:

and pitching that effectively for him into his 40's should have raised eyebrows

Hey, this guy struck out 301 batters at the age of 42, and then threw no-hitters at 43 and 44 and nobody was raising eyebrows. I don't doubt that Clemens used PED (although I think his go-to agent was HGH and not anabolic steroids) but as you said it was such a wildly unregulated environment that perhaps we shouldn't flagellate users like we've been doing. Heck, even the late Pud Galvin (1856-1902) who was the first pitcher to win 300 games (128 years ago today on September 4, 1888) was known to try the Brown-Sequard Serum made out of animal testicles to increase his performance. I don't think you'll ever get PEDs out of the game. Why, it was during Babscon that the news broke that Dee Gordon was suspended for using PEDs. And Bartolo Colon is a folk hero today four years after his PED suspension. It will be a continued battle to keep the game on a level ground, and I think a lot of it has to come from the Player's Association. I think this upcoming negotiation will be very important.

10993410_10101974247494006_5347449128690

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now