Silver Rain

If there was a Season Zero of the show, would you be interested?

Season Zero?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want one?

• Yes, a full 26 episodes, with a two part opener and finale.
    • Yes, a full 26 episodes, with a two part opener only.
    • Yes, a full 26 episodes, with a two part finale only.
    • Yes, a full 26 episodes, all single part episodes.
    • Yes, 13 episodes only, with a two part opener and finale.
    • Yes, 13 episodes only, with a two part opener only.
    • Yes, 13 episodes only, with a two part finale only.
    • Yes, 13 episodes only, all single part episodes.
    • No.

If it's only a year before, then no. If it was a full-out prequel detailing the events that led up to Luna's banishment, perhaps interactions between the sisters and Starswirl, then that would be something I would watch.

• Like 2

Only a year prior?  No thanks.  Maybe a single episode, showing Celestia planning everything that would be set in motion, but not an entire season.

Give me a series set thousands of years ago, when Celestia and Luna were ruling Equestria, and sign me up. 

Focusing on the mane 6...eh? The start of the series is where the most interesting things begun to happen. I'm not particularly interested in what they were doing a year before, especially since they wouldn't have much interaction with each other anyway.

Set in the Wayback, though, seeing episodes based around backstory stuff - Luna's banishment, the rise of Discord, some Starswirl shenanigans, that kind of thing - I'd be all for it.

That would be a really interesting concept.

I say either:

• a one off special episode
  • a standard episode of the current season but with flashbacks and such
  • six full or special length episodes, one for each of the mane 6.

You'd get to see so much!

Twilight being totally un-friendship in Canterlot. Maybe even getting to see her family and tons of interaction with Celestia.

Pinkie Pie starting work at the Cakes maybe?

Rainbow Dash... doing Rainbow Dash things..

Actually it might be a little boring with many of the Mane6. Might be a few things they can do I guess. But it'd just be standard sort of stuff. It's not like Twilight changed them all drastically beyond going off on adventures. And since we see them all in Slice of Life 22 episodes out of 26, before Twilight will be pretty samey.

No wait, We'd get to see Rarity opening her first store, that'd be pretty awesome.

This took some thought. And now it looks like I voted for an option that hasn't been voted on yet. :P 

When I first saw the topic my thoughts went strait to the Mane 6 and what they were doing prior to the pilot. Or, the Mane 6 minus Twi at least. It can show when they each moved to Ponyville, and met each other. And, given Celestia knew who they each were before the pilot's Summer Sunset Celebration since she assigned them each a task for it, it can show their rise in popularity and how Celestia came to know them. There could be subtle references to Twi among Celestia's staff, maybe as "Celestia's favorite student" or something. And then in the season finale it's finally revealed who that student is! :happy_twi:

As much as I'd totally love love LOVE a season showing the era before Luna was banished, I think that would have such a different feel to it, it would be a different series or at least sub-series. And it would need more than one season. ;) It could be called "My Little Pony; Equestrian Rule" or something.

A Season Zero?

That's a very interesting idea, specially considering that there is no official announcement of Season 7 yet, and the Season 6 finale sounds like the connection between the show and the movie.

It would be like a single season "spin-off", taking stories that would expand the lore about Equestria. But in that case, I don't like the idea of only one year before Season 1, I'd like to see Equestria's origin, something about Alicorns' land, Starswirl with Celestia and Luna, the story of the element of harmony, Luna Banishment, Discord reign and defeat, Sombra backstory and attack over the Crystal Empire, backstory of Chrysalis, etc. I know some of them were kind of covered by the comics or some short flashbacks in the show, but I'd like to see an expanded and better quality version of them.

PS: And between the options, I think 13 episodes would be enough (especially because 26 single episodes between Season 6 and the Movie with the proper hiatus would be too much to fit). In case of 26, make them all of them two parters!

A season Zero would definitely be awesome regardless of how long they make it.

Perhaps a prequel focusing on the days before Luna's banishment with the trials the Royal Sisters had to overcome to instate their rule in Equestria. It could start from Discord's fall and go through all the major events in pony history up until Luna's banishment. 

Another option would be the time period of the recently ascended Princess Cadence and Sunset Shimmer still in her apprentice days. A season expanding on their characters along with Celestia would be fascinating, you could even include a few adventure episodes where the two of them are sent to missions to prove themselves.

If it does happen it definitely should be focused on other characters and treat the Mane 6 as background characters at best, as they wouldn't be relevant to the story at that stage.

Sounds good. I like the other peoples' ideas about pre-Twilight Mane 5. Oooh! Better yet, make one half of the season that, and the other focus on the Celestia/Luna origins! Combine both in one!

No, it honestly sounds like a huge waste. Things about their backgrounds could be easily done through flashbacks and character studies. Dedicating an entire season to that just sounds like a huge waste when they can put those resources and effort into their progression

If there was a season zero, I would like to see twilight actually training with Princess Celestia in Canterlot. Possibly showing us how she became Celestia student in the first place. It would give us a little more character development knowing Twilight backstory.  

This does sound like a very interesting concept. I would love to see a bit about the Mane 6's lives before they met Twilight and probably also Twilight's life before she met the Mane 6. To be fair, it would probably be pretty boring on Twilight's part, since she'd be doing nothing but studying.

Maybe it would be interesting if it focused on somepony else, like Celestia or Luna.

If set a year prior, there aren't many characters it can feature that we know (and if we don't know them then why not just make the stars of their own show?). It could still tie into the plot of course, but there's not much plot to tie into at that point in time.

I suppose one or two of the Mane6 of older characters we know could work to achieve some sort of goal, encountering the younger Mane6 members individually along the way, although I'm not sure how far this idea could be stretched, and can't really see it working for a full season.

I suppose Shining Armor and Cadence would make a lot of sense as main cast members, they're established, have room for development, and give us an excuse to have Twilight Sparkle appear. And, hey, the only big villain notably active at the time would be Chrysalis, so that ol' rivalry could be a focus, with Chrysalis as the main villain.

As for other characters... I guess Cadence's bridesmaid Lyra, and the other Unicorn Gang who used to hang with Twilight would make a lot of sense. (And of course, that means more Moondancer.) And let's throw Maud Pie in there too, because she's awesome.

I'd want a prequel series that started after Dash's first Rainboom and maybe continues up until everything is in place for FIM.  That's the interesting prequel timeframe for me, not the ancient history which only has 2/3 characters we actually know.  Cadance is the new Alicorn in Canterlot.  Twilight and baby Spike are adjusting to being Celestia's student (and suddenly being super-powerful).  Shining Armor is starting with the guard.  Applejack deals with the passing of her folks and her new little sister.  Pinkie leaves the farm and moves to Ponyville.  Fluttershy convinces her parents she wants to live on the ground.  Dash drops out of flight school.  Rarity works to make the Carosel Boutique a reality.  Celestia counts down the days until her sister's return, and since the arrival of Twilight has newfound hope as she does what she can to get everything in place.

That would be my ideal Season Zero.