Personally I think that maybe the Directors or who does the work of choosing writers, maybe should choose different writers for the next seasons, writers that never had worked on MLP series, I think that would give some Spice to the soup and then MLP Fandom will be like 3 years ago. What did you think?

There are always people who say the fandom is dying. Always. Even before I became a brony myself, during 2012, people I knew were saying the fandom is dying. 

I think it's a load of horseapples! 

And to answer your second question, I think that there have been too many new writers, and too many of the best writers from the past seasons are currently swept away from writing more quality episodes for the show. But personally, the main thing that probably affects the quality of all the seasons is that 22 minute/episode limit, outside of finales and season openers which are a different thing altogether anyway. Too many times, especially during the last two seasons, have I wished some of the episodes to be much longer. Some of the most promising episodes, plotwise, have had a feeling that they could've been so much more if they weren't forced to use one-minute solutions all the time. Even 30 minutes/episode would be a turn for the better, even if it meant the in-between season hiatus has to be much longer. 

4 hours ago, Apple Brony said:

Someone says that the fandom is dying because My Little Pony: FiM is loosing his touch, what you think about it?

Generally speaking, what people actually mean when they say things like this is: "The artists and analysts where were already established when I joined the fandom have now left".

The fandom is getting younger. A lot of the really intense content creators and analysts were in college during season 2 (When the fandom exploded) and they have now reduced their output because they now have families or have other things taking their time. The creators and analyst that are replacing them are often younger because MLP is now more mainstream, so the people who are joining it are less experienced when it comes to art or analysis. They just need time and practice before they can produce things like Picture Perfect Pony, but once they do things will liven up.

There are a lot of really promising comic book creators now. Back when EQD first started a lot of the comics were one pagers, now look at how many new artists are producing 50 page comics of near professional quality.

The fandom is not dying. It's just reached a sort of plateau phase. It's neither growing nor decreasing in size, in my opinion. That was bound to happen at some point. There was no way it could just have kept growing indefinitely.

Just now, Purple Smart said:

The fandom is not dying. It's just reached a sort of plateau phase. It's neither growing nor decreasing in size, in my opinion. That was bound to happen at some point. There was no way it could just have kept growing indefinitely.

It's definitely getting younger now that MLP is more mainstream.

The percentage that's in college is going down and the percentage that's about 14-16 is going up, which is probably why the amount of ultra high quality fan content is going down. The older fans were already established in their art, the newer fans are still in getting to grips with things.

I think that we've also seen the end of the phase where the fandom is close to the age of the cast\crew on the show.

2 minutes ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

It's definitely getting younger now that MLP is more mainstream.

The percentage that's in college is going down and the percentage that's about 14-16 is going up, which is probably why the amount of ultra high quality fan content is going down. The older fans were already established in their art, the newer fans are still in getting to grips with things.

I think that we've also seen the end of the phase where the fandom is close to the age of the cast\crew on the show.

Yeah, I think I see what you mean. I'm not sure whether there are more younger fans now than before, though. The younger fans have always been present.

11 minutes ago, Purple Smart said:

Yeah, I think I see what you mean. I'm not sure whether there are more younger fans now than before, though. The younger fans have always been present.

MLP really exploded during season 2 due to its popularity on 4Chan. There were a lot of art boards that were popular with people of college age, or at least the last year or so of high school. Which is where a lot of the early fandom found out about the show.

Since then MLP has become more mainstream and it's picked up a much wider audience as people are becoming aware of it from sources that have wider age ranges.

45 minutes ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

MLP really exploded during season 2 due to its popularity on 4Chan. There were a lot of art boards that were popular with people of college age, or at least the last year or so of high school. Which is where a lot of the early fandom found out about the show.

Since then MLP has become more mainstream and it's picked up a much wider audience as people are becoming aware of it from sources that have wider age ranges.

I am well aware of the fandom's origins. I still have the original /co/ threads saved on my computer. But I agree with you there. The fandom may have started on 4chan, but it soon picked up a more mainstream audience, especially thanks to Equestria Daily, which was created by Seth, who frequented /co/ back then.

3 hours ago, Purple Smart said:

I am well aware of the fandom's origins. I still have the original /co/ threads saved on my computer. But I agree with you there. The fandom may have started on 4chan, but it soon picked up a more mainstream audience, especially thanks to Equestria Daily, which was created by Seth, who frequented /co/ back then.

What I'm basically saying is that the fandom started out as a counter culture experience among 18-24 year olds, but as time has gone on more people have joined the fandom and it's been seen as more socially acceptable to be part of it without thinking of yourself as being part of a counter culture or worrying about what other people might think and being scared off. MLP isn't a niche fandom anymore it's gone mainstream and is now more akin to the fandoms for shows like Adventure Time, Steven Universe and Gravity Falls.

The ratio for content creators and content consumers has shifted a lot, so there is a much larger proportion of the fandom that primarily consumes official material and only a small amount of fan material, and who doesn't create much fan material of their own.

One consequence of this is that it's also attracted more "geeks" who are "all about the canon" which is why so many people vociferously refused to accept that EQG was set in the same universe as MLP, and who considered it to be a separate spinoff universe with no effect on the main universe.

Early fans who are used to having 3 seasons of the show and 50 million fanfics are often less concerned about canon and more concerned about having more pony.

49 minutes ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

One consequence of this is that it's also attracted more "geeks" who are "all about the canon" which is why so many people vociferously refused to accept that EQG was set in the same universe as MLP, and who considered it to be a separate spinoff universe with no effect on the main universe.

Early fans who are used to having 3 seasons of the show and 50 million fanfics are often less concerned about canon and more concerned about having more pony.

I don't know about that. I think early fans are exactly the ones who are the most opposed to EqG. Don't forget that Faust herself was opposed to that idea.

Even show staff have commented that EQG is pretty much its own thing. I mean, other than a couple of Flash Sentry cameos, when has EQG ever even been brought up in the main show?

On 06/09/2016 at 7:19 AM, Apple Brony said:

Someone says that the fandom is dying because My Little Pony: FiM is loosing his touch, what you think about it?

Without even reading the other answers, I can say that this is wrong. The fandom isn't dependent on the cartoon and feeds itself. In fact, I think that the cartoon only got where it is because of the fandom.

Now, after reading the other answers, if the cartoon ended this week and Hasbro came out and said that MLP-FIM is dead, the fandom would keep going because the content creators (fanfics, fanart, music) can keep it fed for a long time and in my opinion have been shown doing a better job at it than the cartoon itself.

What I'm trying to say is that the fandom isn't dependent on the cartoon's success. Every episode could turn into a repetitive mess of recycled ideas (some people think that it already is) and the fandom would keep sites like Equestria Daily and FIMFiction.net going.

22 hours ago, Steamworks said:

Even show staff have commented that EQG is pretty much its own thing. I mean, other than a couple of Flash Sentry cameos, when has EQG ever even been brought up in the main show?

Well, I'd have to make two things clear here, firstly Hasbro themselves requested that Flash be included in those cameos, and secondly almost nothing that happens in the show is ever referenced again at any time in the show.

99% of events are forgotten as soon as the episode ends.

Also Megan McCarthy said herself on her Twitter feed that MLP and EQG both happen in the same universe. The Twilight from MLP and the Twilight from EQG are the same pony.

That Tweet is part of a longer thread.

She didn't mean that it was segmented off. She meant that they weren't merging the two plot lines.

The important thing is that MLP and EQG are both just different threads of the same story. Which means that Hasbro clearly does not seperate it's media by default.

This single statement has significant meaning for MLP canon across different media types.

When combined with the earlier statements about the books also being canon to the show and the fact that Hasbro appointed a single team to oversea all MLP media it's actually massive.

It's like the time that they decided to make Beast Machines a direct canonical squeal to Beast Wars, which was in turn a canonical continuation of Transformers G1. That's amazingly rare in children's media.

If the plot lines aren't merged, how is that not keeping them separate? They can operate independently of each other (especially if Human!Twi takes the spot of Pony!Twi from this point forward). Same universe but 0 effect on each other. Like, Mork & Mindy and Happy Days are both the same universe but don't ever really affect each other. 

I think the fandom is growing up more than anything. A lot of people I know that started this are now in their late 20's with college out of the way and full time careers.

The kids growing into the pony world are primarily over on Youtube now. You can see it pretty clearly browsing the comments there on some of the episode links that get 500k- a million views before hasbro shuts them down. Kids absolutely flood this stuff. Unfortunately they don't venture far in to some of the more traditional pony sites like EQD

• Like 1

The fandom definitely isn't as active as it used to be, but on my feeds alone it's still very active. Though some of the creativity is kind of gone from the MLP music community in my personal opinion.

8 hours ago, Steamworks said:

If the plot lines aren't merged, how is that not keeping them separate? They can operate independently of each other (especially if Human!Twi takes the spot of Pony!Twi from this point forward). Same universe but 0 effect on each other. Like, Mork & Mindy and Happy Days are both the same universe but don't ever really affect each other. 

I think it's all in the phrase "keeping them separate".  If I recall correctly, Megan was simply speaking about the first EQG film and Season 4 of FIM, which she had overseen all of the scripts for.  The movie happened to Pony Twilight, but it wasn't referenced in any of the scripts written for the following season of the show.  But there has never been a promise to *keep* them separate, to my knowledge.  

21 hours ago, Steamworks said:

It's actually extremely important. It speaks to Hasbro's intent.

Nobody at Hasbro approached DHX and said "we forbid you from doing this". In fact they actually instructed them to put Flash Sentry in several episodes.

Most plot lines in MLP are never mentioned again. In season one there was some loose links between episodes which mentioned the Gala, but in season 2 and 3 it became highly unusual for any episode to ever mention anything that happened in any other episode. It wasn't until season 4 that episodes began referencing each other again with the Equestria Games.

Hasbro didn't demand that DHX delink episodes.