Revanche

Weirdest Pony Name

4 hours ago, WonkyStallion said:

Well if you say so. I'm just enjoying this for what it is.

Go right ahead and enjoy it. Just please realize that, for some of us, it's just better to go the straightest and most straightforward route.

2 hours ago, Revanche said:

Well, there are certain in-universe trends, like Earth Ponies tending towards having food-related names (which make historical sense for their culture).

Besides, everything is ultimately decided by what the writers and marketing want.

Yeah, but some things are workable from in-universe. Other things, like pony names? Just easier/better to go, "That's what the writer chose."

6 minutes ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Go right ahead and enjoy it. Just please realize that, for some of us, it's just better to go the straightest and most straightforward route.

Fair enough. I can deal. ^_^

Aaaaanywho, to get back to the point, I always thought Pursey Pink was a weird name. Pursey Pink is a pony in the toyline, had a blind bag in wave 11 and a brushable out now. She was also a contestant in Manehattan fashion week in Rarity Takes Manehattan. But...that name...it feels like something a 4 year old made up. XD

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the theory that ponies can change their names during their cute-ceanera to something that suits their talents better. I suppose no one did cuz it wouldn't explain the foals, but some names being changed and some being "I like this thing cuz it's related to my name, what if it's what I was meant to do?", or destiny *cough*awriterdidit*cough* sounds slightly better than a blanket A Writer Did It...right?

Also, Pursey Pink is a weird name. Does she make/design purses? :cute:

2 minutes ago, Jerry Modene said:

Don't forget the ponies with more than one name - like Dr. Hooves/Time Turner or Bon Bon/Sweetie Drops or Carrot Top/Golden Harvest.

Or Derpy Hooves/Muffins/Ditzy Doo/Bright Eyes. XD

13 minutes ago, WonkyStallion said:

Well, that's Hasbro's fault.  Interesting, though, that when they finally named her "Muffins" (which the fandom has dismissed as quickly as that story about how Clark Kent's glasses hypnotize everyone into seeing him as older and less attractive than Superman), they gave her only the singular name, whereas most ponies have two names.

3 hours ago, Animekitty47 said:

I suppose no one did cuz it wouldn't explain the foals, but some names being changed and some being "I like this thing cuz it's related to my name, what if it's what I was meant to do?", or destiny *cough*awriterdidit*cough* sounds slightly better than a blanket A Writer Did It...right?

If Celestia can see the future, whose to say some ponies don't visit a pony with a crystal ball, or just get a "freling" about what their foal should be named?

3 hours ago, WonkyStallion said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCSM_b9T8lo

Though this weekend gave us a foal named Petunia with a talent for archeology. Wonder if she'll adopt a nickname that fits better when she's older or just be the oddball?

3 minutes ago, TaliaKirana said:

Though this weekend gave us a foal named Petunia with a talent for archeology. Wonder if she'll adopt a nickname that fits better when she's older or just be the oddball?

I hope she doesn't. Just stick with Petunia, kid.

And the credits say her name is Petunia Paleo. :sadface: So it still fits the usual (baffling) naming convention after all. 

Also, good point Revanche! :sunset:

1 hour ago, Dublyn Tea said:

At watching reruns yesterday, AJ mentioned "Stinky Bottom's Hat Imporium". 

Uh.... Stinky Bottom? Really? :applebelch:

Oh yeah, how could I have forgotten that one?! That poor guy, he must've been teased relentlessly as a colt. :flutterdear: