Revanche

Weirdest Pony Name

quibble_pants__2_vector_by_pink1ejack-da

What sort of a parent names their child Quibble Pants? Really now, that names just asking for trouble!

Anyway, due to pony naming "conventions" there are a lot of weirdly named ponies out there, going all the way back to G1, and this here Earth Pony got me thinking: "What is the weirdest pony name of them all?"

If you know of any weird pony names, please share them. For science.

What about Thorax?  I know he's technically NOT a pony. But still...  I find it odd that none of the other ponies thought it odd.  Reminds me of a chicken I once had... called Nugget ^_^

I've ceased being weirded out by Pony names since their naming convention seems to be all over the place, sometimes, especially for supporting characters the name mysteriously ties to their natural talent, at other times it is rather ambiguous and at other times it's clearly done just for the sake of a joke.

All Pony names are weird, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :twitwitch:

36 minutes ago, Askre said:

I've ceased being weirded out by Pony names since their naming convention seems to be all over the place, sometimes, especially for supporting characters the name mysteriously ties to their natural talent, at other times it is rather ambiguous and at other times it's clearly done just for the sake of a joke.

All Pony names are weird, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :twitwitch:

Pony names are the one of the better spots to point at MLP and say, "Why is this like this? Because of the writers." Forget about in-universe explanations. It's the writers. Just go with it.

I'm surprised no one has brought up Joe / Pony Joe / Dounut Joe. When you consider the usual pony naming schemes, what kind of a pony name is Joe?

latest?cb=20150630185710

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Pony names are the one of the better spots to point at MLP and say, "Why is this like this? Because of the writers." Forget about in-universe explanations. It's the writers. Just go with it.

Well now you're just taking all the fun out of it. :yapok:

1 hour ago, WonkyStallion said:

Well now you're just taking all the fun out of it. :yapok:

No. I'm being pragmatic and realistic. I'm not gonna tie myself into metaphorical knots over a naming convention which boils down to, "Hmm, this matches with the pony. Call up Marketing."

4 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

I'm surprised no one has brought up Joe / Pony Joe / Dounut Joe. When you consider the usual pony naming schemes, what kind of a pony name is Joe?

You're right. His name might just be the weirdest pony name out there.

3 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

No. I'm being pragmatic and realistic. I'm not gonna tie myself into metaphorical knots over a naming convention which boils down to, "Hmm, this matches with the pony. Call up Marketing."

Well, there are certain in-universe trends, like Earth Ponies tending towards having food-related names (which make historical sense for their culture).

Besides, everything is ultimately decided by what the writers and marketing want.