SUP3R Toastr

Should EqD be reporting so much on the recent episode leak?

I made this point in the EqD comments but it's probably been buried in the sands of time, at least here it should get read.

Anyway, i think it was a cool thing that the staff over at EqD warned us about spoilers after the leak, i have no problem with that, however do they have to keep reporting on it any more?

What i mean is that it's already going to be hard enough to avoid spoilers without EqD reporting on them like they're doing. For example, there's absolutely no need to have posted those screenshots especially on the post detailing what happened for the episode to be released so early, i don't think anyone would've activated their spoiler shields that early and it was the most spoilery thing they've released so far!

As for the fan art thing, i hope they hold them back until after the episode airs on Saturday and not post them with the ordinary Drawfriends. The reason being, aside from the spoilers for people who haven't blocked S6 content, is that people who have spoilered the tag will miss out on the Drawfriends and that's just unfair for the people who's art was submitted alongside the spoiler art.

I know a lot of you are going to be saying "why don't you just block the S6 tag then?" and comments of the like, i even mentioned it in the last paragraph, but the problem is that some of us don't like to spoiler the tag because we like to see minor spoilers like episode clips and announcements to hype ourselves up for the upcoming episode! I have no problem with them posting the clip when or if it releases later and i look forward to seeing it, something i probably couldn't do if i spoilered S6 posts.

So, what do you guys think of the situation? Do you think they should cut down on posting leaked info regarding the latest episode or don't you mind it at all?

If anyone from the staff is reading this i'd like to know your opinion too.

Thanks!

51 minutes ago, Revanche said:

I'd give an opinion, but I've managed to avoid this leak thus far, myself.

Go ahead, voice your opinion if you want.

I've managed to avoid spoilers too so far as well, however i have a feeling the 2 days running up to the episode is going to feel like an eternity! :twitwitch:

32 minutes ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

They're a news outlet. They should report anything that is news.

They can still pick and choose the stories that are suitable for the site. They used to post a lot more drama and controversial topics but they stopped doing it so much now, they only usually give it a mention and move on. I really don't want to blow this out of proportion but i believe in my opinion that this is one of those controversial, and potentially drama causing incidents, that they should report on once then move on. Instead we got at least 3 posts (i don't know if there's any more, i haven't been on EqD since this morning), one with some unnecessary major spoilers in the form of screenshots in it!

Besides, the staff of EqD themselves have admitted that they'd rather be referred to as a fan site rather than a news site/outlet like you suggested.

Personally I've never thought as EQD as a news outlet.  More a collection of what every is currently trending within the community.  IF they wanted to be a news site there would be a lot more topical articles and a lot less compilation posts.  That said, I'm disappointed with the way the staff choose to handle this episode leak.  One post making us aware of it was fine.  Posting links and screenshots in a later post is not.  I don't use the spoiler tag because I shouldn't have to.  I want to see preview clips and the like but only so far as what was properly released by the studio.  Maybe if they came up with a leak tag that we could choose to block that would work.  Otherwise there isn't much I'm going to do other than avoid the site until after the episode airs.

2 hours ago, ZeBronyCaptain said:

Personally I've never thought as EQD as a news outlet.  More a collection of what every is currently trending within the community.  IF they wanted to be a news site there would be a lot more topical articles and a lot less compilation posts.  That said, I'm disappointed with the way the staff choose to handle this episode leak.  One post making us aware of it was fine.  Posting links and screenshots in a later post is not.  I don't use the spoiler tag because I shouldn't have to.  I want to see preview clips and the like but only so far as what was properly released by the studio.  Maybe if they came up with a leak tag that we could choose to block that would work.  Otherwise there isn't much I'm going to do other than avoid the site until after the episode airs.

Exactly!

I can't remember who said it now, it might have been Seth, but someone on the staff outright said what you said about EqD being a fan hub not a news site.

But overall, i totally agree with you, they've not handled this leak very well. I was just as... peeved (:flutterdear:)... when they posted those screenshots on that post as there was just no need for them!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SUP3R Toastr said:

Instead we got at least 3 posts (i don't know if there's any more, i haven't been on EqD since this morning), one with some unnecessary major spoilers in the form of screenshots in it!

You can turn off Season 6 spoiler info by hitting the gear at the top right and checking "Hide Season 6 Posts."
Edit: Oh, my bad, missed that.

use_your_spoilers_by_aaronmk-dah4clj.jpg

Problem solved until Saturday.

EqD may require better filter systems, perhaps add a "leak" tag and allow that to be filtered. Then this can be completely irrelevant outside of initial announcements X has been leaked and any article that may use media from the leaked content between the initial leak and release can be hidden from the individual's view. It doesn't have to be as all-out as Derpibooru's:

db_filters_by_aaronmk-dah4csl.jpg

7 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

You can turn off Season 6 spoiler info by hitting the gear at the top right and checking "Hide Season 6 Posts."

Did you read my other posts?

I said i don't want to do that because i want to be kept in the loop of season 6 info but NOT have the episodes outright spoiled like this, i don't want to resort to this out of principal.

18 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

use_your_spoilers_by_aaronmk-dah4clj.jpg

Problem solved until Saturday.

EqD may require better filter systems, perhaps add a "leak" tag and allow that to be filtered. Then this can be completely irrelevant outside of initial announcements X has been leaked and any article that may use media from the leaked content between the initial leak and release can be hidden from the individual's view. It doesn't have to be as all-out as Derpibooru's:

db_filters_by_aaronmk-dah4csl.jpg

That's the thing, i don't want to have to do that just to hide from one type of post. I agree though that there needs to be a separate leak tag for people like me who want MLP info without the fear of having episodes outright spoiled.

------

On a different note, that's a pretty comprehensive list of things you block on Derpibooru! XD :nsfw:

So why are spoilers such a huge deal? Is total surprise at an episode's happenings really that important to the enjoyment of it? Like, do you enjoy episodes less every time you rewatch them? Or do you only watch them once? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SUP3R Toastr said:

On a different note, that's a pretty comprehensive list of things you block on Derpibooru! XD :nsfw:

Not really, there are people who have a more comprehensive hidden tag list. I can hide images of certain tags when they hit a certain dislike level for instance, but I don't like to do that because then I won't be able to find the latest Crystals1986.

335577__safe_oc_pinkie+pie_anthro_human_

This horror, for instance.

That said, I do like to try and keep a cut of fetishes out of my viewing experience because I'm either not interested, or at the worse totally repulsed.

7 hours ago, Steamworks said:

So why are spoilers such a huge deal? Is total surprise at an episode's happenings really that important to the enjoyment of it? Like, do you enjoy episodes less every time you rewatch them? Or do you only watch them once? 

To answer your questions, i try to rewatch my favourite episodes when i can get a chance but i mostly only watch them the once. I usually don't have the time to watch them again or i'd rather be watching something else. I'll probably rewatch S6 when it gets shown over here on UK TV.

And of course it ruins the episode for me if the surprises are spoiled beforehand, i think the majority of people hate a movie or TV show spoiled before they watch it so i don't think i'm alone there, of course it depends on what the surprises are.

5 hours ago, SUP3R Toastr said:

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?! :why:

Crystals1986. He was some guy who had for the longest time some sort of fetish for long fingers. Or maybe it was more of a fascination since a friend of his had some kind of genetic abnormality/disease that stretched out his fingers. He drew humanized versions of the ponies in hospital environments being treated for the same disease, via crystals. Except the treatment didn't do anything but make it worse.

He added VERY elaborate descriptions explaining the equipment and the sometimes insane procedures they were going through (like a shot of crystal solution straight into the spine) that suggested he was very aware and versed with medical procedures. But the execution of everything else was sort of adolescent in nature.

He stopped doing art some time ago and I check into his DeviantArt now and then to see if he made something to post to Derpibooru that someone overlooked, but he's been silent on that front.

To be me, my fascination with him is this crazy three-way disconnect between logical reality (even for magical horse-person world), the depth of the descriptions, and the scene portrayed. And the shocked bemusement and concern of the people who look at his pictures. Really, it's more for the comments than any thing, and I don't want to not read them.

On 9/9/2016 at 3:30 PM, Steamworks said:

And that's another reason why i hate the leaks: because people have already started uploading the episode Hasbro (or more likely YouTube) has activated the copyright bots early, now i can't watch it on YT! :anger:

If an episode isn't leaked, normally the copyright vultures stay off the episodes for the entire weekend but because it leaked they have to damage control early! Now i have to resort to Daily Motion, i bloody hate Daily Motion, it's crap!

Speaking as somebody from a country where MLP episodes come out significantly later than they do in the US I find it almost impossible to avoid spoilers as that would mean avoiding any new Memes and episode based parody comics as well.

Pretty much the entire show is spoiled for me (Well, in a Spoilers kind of way) and it's totally unavoidable.

For this reasons I actually come to EQD specifically when there are leaks, previews and spoilers. Coming when there is content that's "new" to the US, but isn't an episode review or recap, is pretty much the only way that I can be involved in the hype at the same time as most other fans of the show. It's new to you and new to me.

Otherwise when I'm hyped about just having seen a new episode everybody else is already tired of talking about it and has gone on to something different.