Revanche

The Mysteriously There-and-Gone Starlight Glimmer

On 9/9/2016 at 2:36 PM, AaronMk said:

Or she has her own room in which she studies friendship n' shit.

1189731__safe_book_starlight+glimmer_mer

Twilight isn't as present as usual either. It's safe to say both have their own duties and Twi being Glimmies' teacher then one of those duties is to teach Glim-Glam the secret of friendship, for for Glimmer to learn.

It's not particularly complex, and after Starlight being exposed as a fraud her village probably melted away.

As a poster on DB described the book:

I hadn't gotten around to getting the book yet as much as I wanted to, but I do love how these books take on 'episodes we should of had'. Now I'm even more anxious to read it lol

To me it really seems like many completely missed the setup that Starlight had both last season and this season. The writers set up very clearly things which nicely explain why she isn't around 100% of the time. 

It all started in last season's finale, with Twilight stating that she wanted Starlight not to join their Mane 6, but to create her own.  That alone should have been enough to see the direction they were taking with her, and that she wouldn't be around the mane 6 all the time. 

The writers went even further in the season 6 premiere, which focused on Starlight almost exclusively. Throughout the episode Starlight was doing things on her own (and with Sunburst), without intervention with Twilight or the Mane 6. 

The episode then ends with Twilight stating that she feels like she had nothing to do with Starlight learning a friendship lesson, to which Spike wisely states how Twilight learned under Celestia. Twilight then decides that she should let Starlight learn a similar way, by letting her have time on her own to learn lessons and make friends herself. We see this furthered in the trixie episode, where Starligt befriended her offscreen. 

And that's what she's doing.  She's not part of the Mane 6, she's forming her own just like Twilight did. So no, she's not always going to be around the Mane 6 the entire time. This was a good move by the writers, cause due to what they set up in the opener, they don't have to shoehorn Starlight into episodes where she isn't needed. They can allow her and her development to stand on its own. 

And look how many Starlight episodes we've had so far this season! I believe she's had more episodes focused on her than any other individual character this season. (Two-part Opener, A Hearths Warming Tail, the trixie one, and if you've delved into spoiler territory, you know what she has coming up!)

I personally love how they've utilized her. Allowed her to stand in her own episodes, have impacts, but not try to force her into every other episode nor make her a 7th member.  She's standing on her own and building her own group of friends, just like Twilight did as Celestia'a pupil. 

12 hours ago, RainShadow said:

To me it really seems like many completely missed the setup that Starlight had both last season and this season. The writers set up very clearly things which nicely explain why she isn't around 100% of the time. 

It all started in last season's finale, with Twilight stating that she wanted Starlight not to join their Mane 6, but to create her own.  That alone should have been enough to see the direction they were taking with her, and that she wouldn't be around the mane 6 all the time. 

The writers went even further in the season 6 premiere, which focused on Starlight almost exclusively. Throughout the episode Starlight was doing things on her own (and with Sunburst), without intervention with Twilight or the Mane 6. 

The episode then ends with Twilight stating that she feels like she had nothing to do with Starlight learning a friendship lesson, to which Spike wisely states how Twilight learned under Celestia. Twilight then decides that she should let Starlight learn a similar way, by letting her have time on her own to learn lessons and make friends herself. We see this furthered in the trixie episode, where Starligt befriended her offscreen. 

And that's what she's doing.  She's not part of the Mane 6, she's forming her own just like Twilight did. So no, she's not always going to be around the Mane 6 the entire time. This was a good move by the writers, cause due to what they set up in the opener, they don't have to shoehorn Starlight into episodes where she isn't needed. They can allow her and her development to stand on its own. 

And look how many Starlight episodes we've had so far this season! I believe she's had more episodes focused on her than any other individual character this season. (Two-part Opener, A Hearths Warming Tail, the trixie one, and if you've delved into spoiler territory, you know what she has coming up!)

I personally love how they've utilized her. Allowed her to stand in her own episodes, have impacts, but not try to force her into every other episode nor make her a 7th member.  She's standing on her own and building her own group of friends, just like Twilight did as Celestia'a pupil. 

Very good point! Also, Spike states during The Times are a Changeling, that Starlight and Twilight spend a lot of time in the castle studying (and that explains why we haven't seen that much of Twilight neither).

But, even considering Starlight as Twilight's student (and no as Mane7), learning about friendship and forming her own group of friend, I still think she doesn't have enough episodes focus on her (neither Twilight with her role as teacher). There were lots of episodes, that even if they were good, they are just filling, they had nothing to to with the Season 6 arc, they are more Season 5 (like the map episodes), or even Pre-Season 5/4 (like 28 Pranks later or the Cart Before the Ponies).

7 hours ago, ScientistDog said:

Very good point! Also, Spike states during The Times are a Changeling, that Starlight and Twilight spend a lot of time in the castle studying (and that explains why we haven't seen that much of Twilight neither).

But, even considering Starlight as Twilight's student (and no as Mane7), learning about friendship and forming her own group of friend, I still think she doesn't have enough episodes focus on her (neither Twilight with her role as teacher). There were lots of episodes, that even if they were good, they are just filling, they had nothing to to with the Season 6 arc, they are more Season 5 (like the map episodes), or even Pre-Season 5/4 (like 28 Pranks later or the Cart Before the Ponies).

I'm definitely all for more Starlight episodes! :)

But I also think that Haber and co don't want to stray too far from the show's origins, and want to make sure other characters have opportunities for episodes. After all, once you take out the premiere and finale, a season only has 22 episodes to work with, with a lot of characters and stories competing for that time. I'm making guesses here, but I believe when the season is all said and done, Starlight will have had around 7 episodes which focus on her, which is pretty decent amount. 

And by "stray too far from the show's origins," I mean more self-contained slice-of-life episodes. That's what the show was built on, and what many people love. Having a ton of episodes not relating to the season's arc(s) isn't anything new. 

On 9/13/2016 at 9:49 AM, RainShadow said:

I personally love her but I don't really like how there is no explanation of how she isn't there, all we can do is speculate.

It sometimes feels a little odd.

We go from her being a major part of the cast in an episode, to her vanishing.
I always thought it'd be nice to have her at least in all scenes where all the mane 6 are together. Though, thinking about it, it's cheaper to just imply, as what's the point paying her VA to say a couple of lines that don't add anything to an episode just to make her feel more part of the group.

Probably been said but still rather annoying how she ONLY in an episode if Twlight invovled. Yeah she had the finale all to herself with Spike probably and other but still kind of miffed me how she not just put in the background. She doesn't need to talk or anything just have her there. What is she a shut in like post FIM twilight?

On 9/17/2016 at 1:12 PM, StarlightGlimmer said:

I personally love her but I don't really like how there is no explanation of how she isn't there, all we can do is speculate.

As I mentioned in my post, they did explain it in the season opener pretty clearly. Twilight is allowing her to find friends and friendship lessons on her own. She's letting her learn like Celestia did for Twilight. Twilight wasn't always around Celestia either. 

6 hours ago, RainShadow said:

As I mentioned in my post, they did explain it in the season opener pretty clearly. Twilight is allowing her to find friends and friendship lessons on her own. She's letting her learn like Celestia did for Twilight. Twilight wasn't always around Celestia either. 

Yeah, hopefully we see more of that