Revanche

The Mysteriously There-and-Gone Starlight Glimmer

Throughout Season Six, Starlight Glimmer has gained fans and haters, but both can agree on the inconsistency of her appearances. Sometimes she's the star of an episode, other times it's easy to forget that she's joined the "main" cast at all. What are your thoughts on this? Where do you think she disappears to, what do you think should have been done with her in the episodes where she simply disappears and do you think we should be seeing more of her at all?

This has been the weirdest thing about the season for me. It's like they wanted to forget it for some episodes, and like in buckball she wouldn't have a place being there to start with. But many episodes could of slipped her in to learn...SOMETHING about friendship, supposedly. The season shouldn't be 90% about her or anything, but we had so much build up to...well, nothing. She hasn't really done, or had to learn anything. Even something small here and there, that can't be too hard when for a few seasons you had 6 characters all lesson-learning constantly. Her turn became more of a missed opportunity. I know the finale will involve her, but she could of been sprinkled in throughout the season instead of mostly ignoring her all together :/

3 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

She probably goes back to her village to help and maintain there.

That... actually makes a lot of sense. You should write for this show.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Itcheeee said:

This has been the weirdest thing about the season for me. It's like they wanted to forget it for some episodes, and like in buckball she wouldn't have a place being there to start with. But many episodes could of slipped her in to learn...SOMETHING about friendship, supposedly. The season shouldn't be 90% about her or anything, but we had so much build up to...well, nothing. She hasn't really done, or had to learn anything. Even something small here and there, that can't be too hard when for a few seasons you had 6 characters all lesson-learning constantly. Her turn became more of a missed opportunity. I know the finale will involve her, but she could of been sprinkled in throughout the season instead of mostly ignoring her all together :/

Yeah, they didn't even acknowledged that she wasn't around half the time, and at the very least you'd think she'd learn something from all the other ponies who've learned so much about friendship. She probably knows less about it than the CMC, despite being the Princess of Friendship's student.

I think it would have made a lore more sense from a narrative point of view for her to remain in her village.  She hasn't had one appearance this season that would have required more than a minor scrip change to re-write as her coming to visit Twilight.  Having her live in the castle, then not be there most the time just makes it seem weird. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I think it would have made a lore more sense from a narrative point of view for her to remain in her village.  She hasn't had one appearance this season that would have required more than a minor scrip change to re-write as her coming to visit Twilight.  Having her live in the castle, then not be there most the time just makes it seem weird. 

That castle is weird anyway. Maybe it'll turn out to the season finale antagonist and get blown up... I can dream.

It feels like a lot of the s5 and s6 scripts were written at the same time. Some of them must have been written before they were sure of what was going to happen with Starlight in the s5 finale. (Or were written as S5 scripts and delayed.)

• Like 1

Well, all of the mane group have episodes where they're entirely absent. No need to shoehorn her into every episode.

• Like 1

Maybe that "Secret Suite" chapter book had it right, and Starlight retreats to a room removed from space and time in between appearances.

Maybe if they ever define her character enough to have interests, likes and hobbies then she'll stop dropping out of existence constantly.

On 9/8/2016 at 10:37 PM, Nova S. Aurora said:

Basically this. She'd do more good in that village than anywhere else. Or at the very least she'll have a place where she belongs in, instead of being completely out of place in most of her appearances in Season 6.

I don't see her as part of the main cast. A secondary character? Sure. Her road will likely end this season, she's no shining example of friendship or anywhere close to 'element of harmony', or even Princess material even a full season after that abysmal reformation song. Especially after her brainwashing exploits, vengeance plots, reckless use of powerful magic and the subsequent hundreds of lives lost in several parallel timelines. Oh, and let's not forget there have been absolutely no repercussions for any of that. You can already tell I don't like her, can't you? 

But after all that she could, at the very least, become a decent person.

2 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

Oh, and let's not forget there have been absolutely no repercussions for any of that.

Repercussions could well be incoming...

Besides, she had to take part in that reformation song.

I don't know...  I'm about 50-50 on whether they "finish" her story with the finale and she moves on or not.  Either way, I still think that she'll be free to pop up again, but not be lingering in Ponyville any longer if she goes.

On the "she's staying" side: They did bother to add her to that group shot in the opening credits (although simply reverting back to the old credit picture wouldn't be hard to do.)

'On the "she's moving on" side:. No indication of her being in the movie.  It would be narratively easier to shuffle her off doing her own thing and not need to explain who she is or why she isn't in the film.

On 9/8/2016 at 3:37 PM, Nova S. Aurora said:

Or she has her own room in which she studies friendship n' shit.

1189731__safe_book_starlight+glimmer_mer

Twilight isn't as present as usual either. It's safe to say both have their own duties and Twi being Glimmies' teacher then one of those duties is to teach Glim-Glam the secret of friendship, for for Glimmer to learn.

It's not particularly complex, and after Starlight being exposed as a fraud her village probably melted away.

As a poster on DB described the book:

To be honest I enjoyed it as much as some FiM episodes. Starlight is really solid here and basically the lost "teacher and student" episode that should’ve happened in the show. A must read if you like Twilight and Starlight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AaronMk said:

1189731__safe_book_starlight+glimmer_mer

Mystery solved.

5 hours ago, AaronMk said:

It's not particularly complex, and after Starlight being exposed as a fraud her village probably melted away

If I recall, there was a scene that Glimmer was in where she greeted and apologized to her town-mates, I forget what episode this was in though.

10 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

If I recall, there was a scene that Glimmer was in where she greeted and apologized to her town-mates, I forget what episode this was in though.

It happened during the season five finale reformation song.

If Trixie shows up in Las Pegasus (doing a magic show at the pony equivalent of the Mirage or Luxor) next week, I imagine Starlight will be with her.  Even as a cameo scene, it would establish that she does indeed not spend all her time in Ponyville.  

But really, I don't think she was ever intended as a main character anyway, just another cast member on the level of Big Mac or Zecora or the Cakes.  We don't see them every week, either.

On 9/8/2016 at 4:13 PM, Revanche said:

Yeah, they didn't even acknowledged that she wasn't around half the time, and at the very least you'd think she'd learn something from all the other ponies who've learned so much about friendship. She probably knows less about it than the CMC, despite being the Princess of Friendship's student.

Excactly! How can the student of the *Princess of Friendship*, not to mention, it's Twilight - be learning nothing? x.x; I'd think Twi would be cracking down pretty hard on her, books and all. At this point the CMC's totally could be princesses of friendship-in training XD

23 hours ago, AaronMk said:

That's if you even consider these books canon. This Magic Friendship Learning room sounds like yet another shortcut the staff are taking, instead of actually exploring Starlight's progress into learning Friendship. We've really reached a new low if the most important story arc of a new character is completely ignored by the show and instead left to a second party book.

I have no idea what the season finale's going to do with her, but whatever it is, it just won't feel justified. Starlight has't had enough character progression to warrant her doing anything amazing. Her only accomplishments this season have been becoming friends with a reclusive nerd and an egotistic showboat, neither of who actually have any other friends. Everything the show does with her ends up being rushed, from her defeat and reformation, to her studies and character development.

If the show really wanted to sell Starlight, it should have explored her studies, her hardships in trying to make friends, guilt over past misdeeds and proper attempts to start over as a new pony. Starlight's friendship studies should have been a global story arc for this entire season, that would have at the very least provided some noticeable character development and build-up to the finale. Instead we get a few measy appearances and a full season of slice-of-life episodes, and people wonder why there's a lack of interest in S6.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skyrazer said:

We've really reached a new low if the most important story arc of a new character is completely ignored by the show and instead left to a second party book.

Huh, I didn't realise this was a Pinkie Pie book. :partycannon:

On 8/9/2016 at 1:18 PM, Revanche said:

Throughout Season Six, Starlight Glimmer has gained fans and haters, but both can agree on the inconsistency of her appearances. Sometimes she's the star of an episode, other times it's easy to forget that she's joined the "main" cast at all. What are your thoughts on this? Where do you think she disappears to, what do you think should have been done with her in the episodes where she simply disappears and do you think we should be seeing more of her at all?

It also bothers me. I thought first this season was going to be about her. Well, the season premiere and finale plus a few key episodes are about here. I know all the seasons are like that (every ark includes only the two parters plus a few key episodes, and the rest is filling) but in the rest of the episodes she doesn't even exist. But Jim Miller said now she is a recurring character, not main cast (now, he didn't wanted to answer that after Season 5 finale). Maybe she will fully join the main cast the next season (if there is one).

On 8/9/2016 at 8:51 PM, TaliaKirana said:

It feels like a lot of the s5 and s6 scripts were written at the same time. Some of them must have been written before they were sure of what was going to happen with Starlight in the s5 finale. (Or were written as S5 scripts and delayed.)

Yeah, I think the same. Lots of episodes from this season feels like there were scraped from older seasons (in the writer meetings), and that also explains why some characters behave immaturely in those episodes.

On 9/9/2016 at 5:57 PM, Harwick said:

I don't know...  I'm about 50-50 on whether they "finish" her story with the finale and she moves on or not.  Either way, I still think that she'll be free to pop up again, but not be lingering in Ponyville any longer if she goes.

On the "she's staying" side: They did bother to add her to that group shot in the opening credits (although simply reverting back to the old credit picture wouldn't be hard to do.)

'On the "she's moving on" side:. No indication of her being in the movie.  It would be narratively easier to shuffle her off doing her own thing and not need to explain who she is or why she isn't in the film.

It could be both possibilities. But if they make her move away, I'll be 100% sure that it'll be because there isn't any season 7, and they want to tie the season 6 finale with the movie (in which Starlight isn't present).

If there is a season 7, make her move away would be just plains stupid, why inluded her and then throw away all the work and make the Status Quo go back to season 5? In any case, she will be even more important in Season 7, joining the main characters, or becoming a mane character in her own spin-off (well, in that case, she can move away, but to turn the focus on her).

On 9/9/2016 at 6:36 PM, AaronMk said:

Twilight isn't as present as usual either. It's safe to say both have their own duties and Twi being Glimmies' teacher then one of those duties is to teach Glim-Glam the secret of friendship, for for Glimmer to learn.

It's not particularly complex, and after Starlight being exposed as a fraud her village probably melted away.

Well, but it was stated in some episodes that they spend a lot of time studying together. 

And the Mane4 from Our Town said they will keep living there, since it was their home since them. And they were there when she went to apology.

On 10/9/2016 at 7:15 PM, Skyrazer said:

That's if you even consider these books canon. This Magic Friendship Learning room sounds like yet another shortcut the staff are taking, instead of actually exploring Starlight's progress into learning Friendship. We've really reached a new low if the most important story arc of a new character is completely ignored by the show and instead left to a second party book.

I have no idea what the season finale's going to do with her, but whatever it is, it just won't feel justified. Starlight has't had enough character progression to warrant her doing anything amazing. Her only accomplishments this season have been becoming friends with a reclusive nerd and an egotistic showboat, neither of who actually have any other friends. Everything the show does with her ends up being rushed, from her defeat and reformation, to her studies and character development.

If the show really wanted to sell Starlight, it should have explored her studies, her hardships in trying to make friends, guilt over past misdeeds and proper attempts to start over as a new pony. Starlight's friendship studies should have been a global story arc for this entire season, that would have at the very least provided some noticeable character development and build-up to the finale. Instead we get a few measy appearances and a full season of slice-of-life episodes, and people wonder why there's a lack of interest in S6.

I've just finished reading the book, it was nice <SPOILER>the problems they have studying together and being roommates</SPOILER>, though it's a shame they hadn't done something similar in the show. But the episode 20 <SPOILER>Every Little Thing She Does, it's about Starlight studying friendship lessons with Twilight, so we will see more character development there</SPOILER>. And there were a few references to her and Starlight studying together (like in The Times They are Changeling). But yeah, I was kind of disappointed with this season, even if it has amazing episodes, there was a lot of filling that they could have replaced with more Starlight and Twilight.

it's ok.
we don't see Celestia, Discord nor Luna every episode either, and they are indeed pretty important characters.
and we're getting atleast 3 more episodes where she is more or less the main character, episode 21: Every Little Thing She Does and the finale.