WanderPony

Will the next season be moved to Netflix?

People have said that the reason they haven't officially announced Season 7 yet is because they're thinking of moving pony to a different channel. Many have suggested Netflix, since Legend of Everfree will be premiering there.

Well, I'm not sure how I feel about the idea, since Netflix series usually post the whole season all at once, and I liked it better when we had to wait for each episode individually. What do you think?

I had been wondering that myself... A new network is really the most likely reason to keep from announcing that a new season is in production.  (Assuming one actually is...)

Netflix does seem like the most likely choice for Hasbro...  I think it would be appealing to both parties, more than any other choice.  I've had the same fear about what releasing all of the episodes at once would do for the fandom.  At the very least, I would hope that Netflix would release them in smaller batches multiple times a year (as they seem to be doing with the current season, releasing it in two halves.). 

Of course, the other fear with Netflix (or any new station) would be fewer episodes per season in total.  They usually only do 13 or fewer episodes for their show's seasons.

i really hope that applies to more than just the US.
here in Norway, we're still only on season 1-4, not long ago we only had s2 and 3 only.

my only way of watching new episodes otherwise are either downloading from youtube or dailymotion.

I don't think put it in Netflix as exclusive is a very good idea, specially since Netflix catalog is very limited in other countries, and the amount of countries in which is available is limited too.

But they should put every episode there 24 hours later than it airs on TV like they do with iTunes and Google.

And it's possible for Netflix to do that: http://www.popsci.com/netflix-will-stream-new-star-trek-series-worldwide

But anyway I think they will have to change the channel, and maybe that's the reason they haven't announced it yet. Another reason could be a big Status Quo change in the finale, so they don't want to ruin the surprise (especially is the season in works is not exactly "FiM Season 7")

On 10/9/2016 at 9:26 AM, KimOlsen87 said:

here in Norway, we're still only on season 1-4, not long ago we only had s2 and 3 only.

my only way of watching new episodes otherwise are either downloading from youtube or dailymotion.

Same here in Argentina. And it's not easy or free by-passing it with VPNs anymore.

Definitely something which on the surface seems very possible, especially with LoE premiering first on Netflix this go-around. Hasbro understands better than most companies that more and more families and children are consuming their media online vs television.

However, there are still a few questions and doubts as to if they were, and a few qualms I have if they do. 

Firstly, Hasbro still does own a large stake of Discovery Family. Even if it's not 50/50 anymore, I think they still have a 40% stake?  Now, unless they are planning on unloading more or all of that stake (a definite possibility, of course), I do have doubts that they would want to remove one of the networks top performing shows.  Discovery Family has definitely been doing a lot more promotion for the show than last season, so maybe they're trying to keep a Hasbro on. 

The next point. While digital is definitely the way more and more people are watching, especially kids, it's not the only way. Why would Hasbro axe the television premieres of the show when they are already putting the episodes online (Netflix, etc) anyway? They are already getting the best of both worlds, so cutting off the people who still do watch the show live on air seems to be pointless. Those that watch online already can. The best course here would maybe somehow get the episodes on Netflix quicker. We are already seeing them do this in season 6 with the first half of the season going up right at the start of the mid-season hiatus. 

Now, I also have some personal qualms with the Netflix route, with more how it affects the fan base vs show or Hasbro itself. 

As others have mentioned, Netflix shows tend to be released all at once, instead of an episode a week. I think this really harms shows on the service from development engaged fan bases. Or at least limits their potential. For shows which have a huge overarching plot like Stranger Things, it can work. But for more episodic shows like MLP, it's horrible. 

Releasing all of the episodes at once limits a lot of things. First, it completely takes away from those who like to watch the episode premieres together. There are still a ton of MLP live episode streams and chats. With any sort of Netflix premiere, these more or less all go away. Sure, some could potentially get together at a set time to watch, but for the most part this ends. I know this is a large part of the fandom, and would really have a negative affect. 

The othe problem is again with the all-at -once nature of Netflix. This really, really limits fandom discussion and interaction for one simple reason: everyone is on a different page. Spoilers can already be a big problem as is, but can you imagine a situation where every person is on a different page as to where they are in the season?  This would be horrible and really hard to manage for those who facilitate discussions of the show. 

Worse off, the hiatuses would get ridiculously long. Right now showing an episode a week would make a season last at minimum 22 weeks. And with our normal mid-season hiatus now, even longer. Now, imagine all the episodes being released at once. Guess what? Hiatus starts then!  Could be another year to the next season. 

Of course, you don't have to watch the entire season at once. You could still personally watch one episode a week as normal. But that's when the previous issue comes into play.  While you could do that, it severely limits you ability to discuss the show and its characters, and makes you highly susceptible to spoilers. So everyone is going to be in a rush to finish the season ASAP so they can discuss and avoid spoilers, leading to huge hiatuses for most.

Plus, consuming so many self-contained episodes at once severely limits your ability to enjoy any of them indivisually; it's hard for any to stand out!  Again , for shows like "Stranger Things" which have a large, overarching story, it's not a big deal (or movies like Legends of everfree). But for Pony, with its self contained slice-of-life episodes, it would be bad to consume them all so quickly. 

So, in conclusion, I really hope they don't move to Netflix and ditch the TV premieres. I don't think it benefits the show any more than what they have now, and would really hurt the fan base. I think they would be better off premiering  on DFC, and get the episodes onto Netflix much quicker. Like the week after they premiere. It also wouldn't hurt if they streamed the episodes for free after they aired. I know for a while the Hub (rip) was putting the episodes online to stream for free as soon as the same day they premiered!  Hasbro really needs to consider doing that again. Slap some ads on there and make a little cash, rather than having a large portion of the viewers resort to unofficial copies on a YouTube. Sure, it would probably be region locked, but at least US viewers would have an option for that. 

Thoughts?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ScientistDog said:

Same here in Argentina. And it's not easy or free by-passing it with VPNs anymore.

true, netflix has become harder on blocking out those who try and bypass their regional locks.
well, i wouldn't mind if those new episodes comes to iTunes shortly after airing, but since iTunes don't offer any shows either, it's a no go for now.

4 hours ago, RainShadow said:

Definitely something which on the surface seems very possible, especially with LoE premiering first on Netflix this go-around. Hasbro understands better than most companies that more and more families and children are consuming their media online vs television.

However, there are still a few questions and doubts as to if they were, and a few qualms I have if they do. 

Firstly, Hasbro still does own a large stake of Discovery Family. Even if it's not 50/50 anymore, I think they still have a 40% stake?  Now, unless they are planning on unloading more or all of that stake (a definite possibility, of course), I do have doubts that they would want to remove one of the networks top performing shows.  Discovery Family has definitely been doing a lot more promotion for the show than last season, so maybe they're trying to keep a Hasbro on. 

The next point. While digital is definitely the way more and more people are watching, especially kids, it's not the only way. Why would Hasbro axe the television premieres of the show when they are already putting the episodes online (Netflix, etc) anyway? They are already getting the best of both worlds, so cutting off the people who still do watch the show live on air seems to be pointless. Those that watch online already can. The best course here would maybe somehow get the episodes on Netflix quicker. We are already seeing them do this in season 6 with the first half of the season going up right at the start of the mid-season hiatus. 

Now, I also have some personal qualms with the Netflix route, with more how it affects the fan base vs show or Hasbro itself. 

As others have mentioned, Netflix shows tend to be released all at once, instead of an episode a week. I think this really harms shows on the service from development engaged fan bases. Or at least limits their potential. For shows which have a huge overarching plot like Stranger Things, it can work. But for more episodic shows like MLP, it's horrible. 

Releasing all of the episodes at once limits a lot of things. First, it completely takes away from those who like to watch the episode premieres together. There are still a ton of MLP live episode streams and chats. With any sort of Netflix premiere, these more or less all go away. Sure, some could potentially get together at a set time to watch, but for the most part this ends. I know this is a large part of the fandom, and would really have a negative affect. 

The othe problem is again with the all-at -once nature of Netflix. This really, really limits fandom discussion and interaction for one simple reason: everyone is on a different page. Spoilers can already be a big problem as is, but can you imagine a situation where every person is on a different page as to where they are in the season?  This would be horrible and really hard to manage for those who facilitate discussions of the show. 

Worse off, the hiatuses would get ridiculously long. Right now showing an episode a week would make a season last at minimum 22 weeks. And with our normal mid-season hiatus now, even longer. Now, imagine all the episodes being released at once. Guess what? Hiatus starts then!  Could be another year to the next season. 

Of course, you don't have to watch the entire season at once. You could still personally watch one episode a week as normal. But that's when the previous issue comes into play.  While you could do that, it severely limits you ability to discuss the show and its characters, and makes you highly susceptible to spoilers. So everyone is going to be in a rush to finish the season ASAP so they can discuss and avoid spoilers, leading to huge hiatuses for most.

Plus, consuming so many self-contained episodes at once severely limits your ability to enjoy any of them indivisually; it's hard for any to stand out!  Again , for shows like "Stranger Things" which have a large, overarching story, it's not a big deal (or movies like Legends of everfree). But for Pony, with its self contained slice-of-life episodes, it would be bad to consume them all so quickly. 

So, in conclusion, I really hope they don't move to Netflix and ditch the TV premieres. I don't think it benefits the show any more than what they have now, and would really hurt the fan base. I think they would be better off premiering  on DFC, and get the episodes onto Netflix much quicker. Like the week after they premiere. It also wouldn't hurt if they streamed the episodes for free after they aired. I know for a while the Hub (rip) was putting the episodes online to stream for free as soon as the same day they premiered!  Hasbro really needs to consider doing that again. Slap some ads on there and make a little cash, rather than having a large portion of the viewers resort to unofficial copies on a YouTube. Sure, it would probably be region locked, but at least US viewers would have an option for that. 

Thoughts?

Well said, my friend. You summed it up better than I could.

I hope not, I'm going to be pretty mad if they do, as I'm buying the seasons through Amazon Video and have really don't want to have an incomplete collection and have to pay a subscription on a different service to access the rest of the series.

Maybe? Who knows.

I'm sure it will still air on Discovery Family, they probably have a contract to air them. However, it's very likely they'll release episodes at the same time on Netflix as it's become very prominent over the last few years. Legends of Everfree will be airing in Brazil first and then on Netflix 6 days later, no theatrical release this time around, so Netflix is more or less getting an exclusive.

On 10/9/2016 at 10:26 AM, KimOlsen87 said:

Same here.

To be honest, we don't usually get proper confirmation of the next season until the current one has ended. So there's nothing really to speculate about at this stage.

I doubt it'll purely go to Netflixs. Surely there's more money in showing in a channel and then putting it on Netflixs later. 
Currently they get all ad revenue from showing it on Discovery Kids and then Netflixs fees.
If they only went with Netflixs, they'd be getting less money, unless this prompted more people to get Netflix accounts. Which I doubt unless Netflix is able to get the show simucast. Living in the UK, if the show was officially available on Netflixs in the UK at the same time as it is in the US, i'd hands down get a Netflixs subscription.

As for it going to another channel all together. No idea to be honest. Discovery Kids pretty much relies on it.

3 minutes ago, Rothstein said:

To be honest, we don't usually get proper confirmation of the next season until the current one has ended.

That's what I kept pointing out! But no one believed me.

• Like 1