InklingBear

Any episodes that seemed real bad to you?

Problem with "Rainbow Falls" is that the entire conflict of the episode is totally at odds with the opening of the episode.

In the episode, Rainbow Dash is faced between propping up a weak Ponyville team, or joining a winning team. 

Will her desire to win outweigh her loyalty to her friends.

So what happens in the opening of the episode?  We learn that Rainbow Dash voluntarily joined the weak Ponyville relay team to help them, rather than compete on her own, or on a stronger Ponyville team with a better chance at gold.  Rainbow Dash overcame her challenge in the first 60 seconds. 

You know what? After how S6 has treated Dash I've actually grown to appreciate Rainbow Falls more.

While it's not a good episode I do feel like there was some effort put into it, or at least had good intentions.Conflicting loyalties is a good conflict for RD, but it was executed no where near as well as it should've been. It was a mistake, but one that felt like an honest goof(and I really hope that the nasty backlash didn't scare Corey Powell away from the show or the fandom, as she seemed to really enjoy her time early on. It'd be really heartbreaking)

However, episodes like 28 Pranks Later and Newbie Dash on the other hand have absolutely no reason to exist(or at least, exist the way it was in case of Newbie Dash), and feel like they only exist solely to shit on Rainbow Dash. 28 Pranks Later is pretty much the Mysterious Mare Do Well 2 Electric Scootaloo(minus its good parts), so much so that it's baffling that no one in the staff thought and said "hey this sounds a lot like MMDW, that episode everyone hated. Are you sure this is a good idea?". Fuck, it feels like it goes out of it's way to write RD being shitty, just so it can try to justify shoving a rusty pike up Rainbow's sphincter. And of course that didn't matter because "LOL ZOMBEEZZZ!!!11!". Literally the last episode she needed, especially after what came a few episodes before. Not to long before was the episode that went out of it's way to completely destroy a moment that many fans have been waiting for since literally the first damn episode. Newbie Dash we saw Rainbow Dash finally achieve her lifelong goal, the episode should've been an easy classic. Then they announced it was being written by a new writer, and it all goes downhill from there. Instead of the writers giving it their all, Rainbow Dash joins the 'bolts in the most anticlimactic, unsatisfying way possible, and the rest of the episode spends its entire time humiliating her, making her look like a complete dumbass, brings Rainbow to her lowest only to drive her further down instead of letting her climb back up, makes the bolts like a bunch of bullies(when they, once again, needed it the least) and really comes off as them actually trying to say "hazing is cool!", throw away 5 seasons worth of build up and development for the sake of a stupid joke, and more or less destroying her entire character arc in one fell swoop(with no satisfying way to continue). And for those who say "lol Rainbow needed a reality check!" no, fuck you. Rule no.1 of character development, you do not end a character arc that way. How would you feel if the CMC got their cutie marks by telling Pipsqueak to be just as shitty as Diamond Tiara during their school elections because he'll win, or if they got it by telling Diamond Tiara to suck up her mom's abuse "so she knows how it feels". How would you feel if Rarity sucked up Sassy Saddle's shitty business strategies, and sacrifice creativity and inspiration "because it makes her more money"? You wouldn't because that would be stupid and insulting, and that's what these episodes were. These were episodes that they should've though long and hard about, or should've never gotten past brainstorming, but it felt like they did not have a care in the world when writing these.

Rainbow Falls may have been a poor episode, but these two debacles were insulting. By comparison, Rainbow Falls is a goddamn masterpiece

/end salty as fuck rant

• Like 4

There have been a few episodes of FiM that I feel were truly awful (as Megas said above, Newbie Dash and 28 Pranks immediately come to mind), but none are worse than Owl's Well That Ends Well, which I consider to be the second worst piece of FiM media (in my opinion, of course), only slightly better than the 2015 EQG Holiday Special comic.

What makes it so bad?

• The Mane 6 are all out of character, and treat Spike's genuine concerns as a "fit of jealousy" rather than treat him like the friend they claim he is
  • Owlicious is obnoxious and annoying for most of the episode
  • Twilight is more OOC than anyone. In fact, I'd go as far as to say this is her worst appearance in FiM. Remember that Twilight is essentially a mother figure to Spike. She raised him since before he was even born. She is more than just a friend to him. Twilight treating him as a replaceable sidekick and dismissing his sadness is wrong and wildly out of character for someone as caring as Twilight. Spike felt genuinely hurt by the way his "mother" treated him, and Twilight never fully apologized for her actions, even after Spike ran away from home and almost died. Spike should have never apologized because he had good reason to feel upset
  • The Mane 6 try to claim that they're not trying to replace Spike, and that he's still special to them, yet they treat Owlicious like a superstar from the moment they meet him. They ignore Spike, and Rarity even gives Owlicious the same bow tie that she gave Spike. That tie was special to him, and to see it handed out to someone she just met made him feel replaceable, and for fully understandable reasons
  • Twilight said that Owlicious was only there to "help during the night", yet most of the episode takes place during the day
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Problem with "Rainbow Falls" is that the entire conflict of the episode is totally at odds with the opening of the episode.

In the episode, Rainbow Dash is faced between propping up a weak Ponyville team, or joining a winning team. 

Will her desire to win outweigh her loyalty to her friends.

So what happens in the opening of the episode?  We learn that Rainbow Dash voluntarily joined the weak Ponyville relay team to help them, rather than compete on her own, or on a stronger Ponyville team with a better chance at gold.  Rainbow Dash overcame her challenge in the first 60 seconds. 

A "Double-Whammy" I believe it's called.

One thing about Rainbow Falls is, it's made a big deal that all the other pegasi are tied up in other events and Dash has to participate in the relay team. Then, when she fakes her injury, they get Derpy to replace her in, what, two minutes of screentime?! If it was that easy to get a replacement in the first place... :applejargh:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

One thing about Rainbow Falls is, it's made a big deal that all the other pegasi are tied up in other events and Dash has to participate in the relay team. Then, when she fakes her injury, they get Derpy to replace her in, what, two minutes of screentime?! If it was that easy to get a replacement in the first place... :applejargh:

It makes no sense they just choose Derpy 

48 minutes ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

It makes no sense they just choose Derpy 

A choice out of a hurry I'm sure. :?

Pony Point of View.

This... is one of the weakest Rashomon stories I've seen in a long time. And Rashomon stories are a dime a dozen. What makes it painful is that there were things IN the episode that I LIKED. But then at the end, I'm left with this ehhhhhhhhhhhhh face.