Steamworks

S6 - Episode 19 - Discussion

Where to watch:
(Some of the pages have the episode title in them already. If you can't bear to even know that, you should probably avoid them until it's time for the episode.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/4c13r3/mlpfim_season_6_episode_streams/

(No Second Prances, Newbie Dash, and A Hearth's Warming Tail are airing as a run up to the new episode.)

DailyMotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4sulza_my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-609-the-fault-in-our-cutie-marks_animals

YouTube: (Copyright bots seem to already be on top of this one)

http://newhorse.vman315.com/

(Yes, this one was leaked with Polish audio and later subtitled. I'll be linking full English videos as usual once available. Others should feel free to post the leaked versions.)

I'm glad I waited for the episode to air in order to watch it versus the leak. CONTINUITY. And avoiding early spoilers too.

Gabby is alright, she has so much high energy like Pinkie Pie. Energetic and cheerful and hopeful while helping out everyone. Refreshing for a griffon but at the same time feels odd. However most will probably like Gabby anyways than outright hate her on her debut in this episode. It feels like the overarching plot is coming together soon after this. Was great seeing all the call backs and Twilight being all book-horsey again. And on the opening, holy cow the CMC have a growing emporium of reputation and literally helping ponies find their purpose or career.

I really liked the episode.   Very cute, and they made a really smart decision NOT to get Gabby a Cutie Mark in the end.  I think it would have brought down the episode.  I think they could have made Gabby a bit less of a Mary Sue.  She didn't have to be good at literally everything.  But, while she's a textbook Mary Sue, that doesn't mean the character can't still be enjoyable.

I did watch the leak, and one thing I will give it.  Gabby had a better voice.  She wasn't nearly as shrill as the English voice was.  Here's the Polish version of the song.

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I really liked the episode.   Very cute, and they made a really smart decision NOT to get Gabby a Cutie Mark in the end.

I agree with this. I think it was best to not give her an official one as well.

Over all I loved the episode from start to finish though. Only thing I wanted to see that didn't happen was Twilight Reaction after she found out it was a ruse that the Griffin got a cutiemark lol.

I enjoyed the episode wholeheartedly! Songs are almost always a plus for me. Gabby reminded me of my love with her helpfulness and kindheartedness, which bumped her up in my charts a lot, and the overall feeling throughout the episode was warm. 9/10 would and will watch again.

25 minutes ago, SunsetCurls said:

Doesn't Zecora who is a zebra have a cutie mark?

While it's speculated to be a cutie mark, they've never actually stated that it was in fact as far as I've heard. May even be possible to be considered something similar, but different.

To be fair though, Zebra's are pretty much just another variant or type of pony. I mean, Zecora's is pretty much just an earth pony with stripes essentially. Twilight might also been meaning species like dragons and griffins which aren't considered related to horses or ponies, just badly worded in the way she said it.

Gabby was almost a bit too much for me. And that's saying something, since I love Pinkie Pie. I suppose if she has a second appearance I might change my mind. I'm glad she didn't get a real cutie mark, that would have been a little odd. Despite all that though, I suppose we have an unofficial fourth (since she has a matching emblem with the CMC) or is it fifth since Babs Seed might also be considered one despite not having a matching cutie mark?

Just now, WonkyStallion said:

I doubt she was, I was only thinking out loud since her cutie mark is different from the core CMC.

Well her membership seems to be up in the air for me at least because of the episode where the core CMC all had nightmares and sent her a care package at the end. Also earlier in that same episode, they said something about her being able to be a CMC member anymore due to having a cutimark.

1 minute ago, Suroguner said:

Well her membership seems to be up in the air for me at least because of the episode where the core CMC all had nightmares and sent her a care package at the end. Also earlier in that same episode, they said something about her being able to be a CMC member anymore due to having a cutimark.

Well, they were having their doubts at the part in the episode. I'm pretty sure they lost all that doubt at the end.

Just now, Rothstein said:

Learn what a Mary Sue is. :applejargh:

A Mary Sue can be a likable character, but Gabby was the textbook definition of a Mary Sue.

New character that instantly befriends everyone and is good at absolutely everything. 

Just now, The Doctor said:

A Mary Sue can be a likable character, but Gabby was the textbook definition of a Mary Sue.

New character that instantly befriends everyone and is good at absolutely everything. 

That's not what a Mary Sue is.

A Mary Sue ruins story by avoiding obstacles by contrived uninteresting, often story breaking, means. 

Actually really liked the episode, song was pretty good and I thought it was an interesting twist on what the CMC normally deals with.

I also thought Gabby was a nice side character.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rothstein said:

That's not what a Mary Sue is.

A Mary Sue ruins story by avoiding obstacles by contrived uninteresting, often story breaking, means. 

I will admit this, with the sheer amount of potential cutie mark tasks they gave her ( looked to be around 20-30 ) and then showcasing that she was literally good at every single one of them might have been a bit over kill. It would have been better if they showcased or hinted/stated that there were at least a few ( preferably the ones that would be more difficult, like the cake baking one for instance or the base ball one ) that she did poorly at. They literally said that she's good at practically every single one of them in the show. If it were fewer or just all simpler tasks ( helping Grany Smith walking the street for instance ) it would have less problematic.

It's a minor complaint on my end honestly, as it was obviously just trying to be a push that it wouldn't be as simple to find her mark and not to showcase that's she's literally incredible at everything. But it is something they could have done.

Also, she only seems to be hyper active when she's really excited, in future episodes I just hope they don't over play it all the time with her. At least towards the end she seemed more calm down ( before they gave her those cutie marks, the party and made her a member for the CMC mind you ).

• Like 1

CMC counseling adults on cutie marks. Awesome.

It's just butt bones, mom.

Archaeologist cutie mark would be pretty sweet.

Cutie interventions are things now.

Sweetie, you jinxed it.

The CMC has a fangirl. They should be excited.

Gabby better not meet Pinkie. Even worse if there's sugar involved.

Gabby is Derpy.

Gabby is pedestaling the CMC hard. She's gonna be devastated.

"What the apples" needs to be a thing now. Apple Bloom does seem to be using "apple" a lot this time 'round. Is that her or an Apple clan thing?

Are tattoos a thing in Equestria? Can they just tattoo something on her butt?

Gabby, you launched the wrong song. "Try Everything" from Zootopia might fit well here instead of the CMC's song.

I think Gabby would be pretty annoying. Too perfect.

Did she get a butt tat? I think she got a butt tat.

Twi must science this gryphon cutie mark at once!

Apple Bloom, I think the apples are going to your brain.

Man, it's just painted on. Butt tat would've been more amusing.

So have the ponies kicked off a cultural revolution in Griffonstone?

I'm not sure that I would consider Gabby a Mary Sue, personally.  One, it seems that most other griffons find her annoying, which is part of why she was on this quest for a cutie mark anyway.  Two, her being good at everything she tried was actually portrayed as a problem (and ultimately a failing when it came to what they were trying to accomplish.). And three, even to the CMC her hyper-enthusiasm was considered a bit much, whether they were waiting for her to calm down enough to actually talk to her or being crushed in a hug. Plus, in the end, she didn't really solve the CMC's issues (although she had tried and got caught for it), but they did end up helping her achieve her dream, so she didn't really usurp the existing heroes' roles.

It's probably just splitting hairs and up to however one personally defines a Mary Sue though.