AaronMk

So, where were you?

Well, it's September 11th. You know what that means: we mourn the end of an era.

On the 11th of September Al-Qaida hijackers seized control of passenger aircraft. Two were flown into the original World Trade Center, one the Pentagon, and another crashed in Stoneycreek Township in Pennsylvania after passengers martyr'd themselves in an attempt to retake the airplane leading to its early crash. The day marked the end of the era, contemporary historians naming 9/11/2001 as the end of the nineties as a cultural period, America entered two wars with one still unresolved. But the politics aside the real question hangs: where were you?

To begin with myself: when I think about where I was and where I should of been I think my memory is beginning to be hazy. While I have distinct memories of being in the sixth grade at the time trying to add up the years only means I was at the time ten years old. But I seem to vividly remember walking into class - especially computer skills - and the teachers having on the TVs constant news coverage of the aftermath muted. There was always that looming over the day.

And for weeks after the skies were absolutely dead.

At the time I was 7, I remember my parents acting horrified as the news was being broadcast on TV, even one whole ocean apart the horror of it all was striking, I didn't really understand at the time but I have a few hazy memories of a news reporter going crazy as the second plane crashed in the tower, as my mother screamed (Wow got a few shivers there as I remember this). I remember drawing a lot, I would play a flight simulator on my PC and the NY map would have the twin towers still in the game, so I drew a plane flying in front of the NY skyline and of course I drew the towers, my mother kindly told me I probably shouldn't draw them, after asking why as once again I didn't fully understand she told me it was inappropriate.

That's what seems to have remained stamped in my brain, of that time.

I was waking up, about to head to my first class of the day at community college. I want to say it was Philosophy 110, not Ethics or Introduction to Logic, but it was definitely in that department. The TV was on in the living room and it took me a few minutes to process what was going on. Reluctantly, I got dressed at the last minute and headed to class anyway. Turns out everybody else had done about the same thing, including the instructor.

The old building housing the class had an AC unit right over this classroom on the roof, and it always turned on with a loud "thud" that nobody paid any mind to until that morning, when the entire class held a breath in and looked around nervously.

• Like 1

I was a Junior in high school, at a woodworking class. I had no idea what was going on at the time, just that there was an announcement made over the intercom. I remember going to the media center (library) and saw footage of what was happening. One of my schoolmates was having a small panic, saying he thought World War III was imminent. The whole experience to this day remains surreal to me.

I had just turned 1 when the attacks happened. My mom was watching it on TV and she was like "What kind of a world did we bring our child into?" And my dad was working at a steel mill at the time, and he and his coworkers saw it live on Television. And my grandmother, (When she was still alive.) Was about to go bowling on a military base. But when the second tower got hit, They started to shut everything down.

Oh, right it's that time of year again. :newspaper:

Where was I? That's a good question, if I recall correctly I was having early dinner and watching TV at the time. I remember the normal broadcasting was interrupted for a special live report on the attacks and there was coverage for the next hour or so. I don't remember how my parents or anyone else reacted to it, honestly at the time I didn't really care or understand the whole ordeal. Things went on as usual after that, albeit there were a lot of news reports, meetings and political turbulence for the remainder of the year.

Since I live extremely close to New York City, I was only 3 when it happened, so I was in daycare being a little shit and obviously, my mom is extremely concerned for me and my brother. She gets me out of daycare and calls the entire family to a bridge in town where you can see the Manhattan skyline very clearly. Mom is recording what is happening over in NYC while I cannot recall what I was doing as a little kid. 

"But..the footage. What happened to it?" Mom's lawyer has it and it's probably impossible to retrieve. 

I also live close to a major airport and there were no planes in the sky, which was very much like the winter storm that hit last winter. It's kind of weird since I'm so used to hearing the sound of nothing but planes every minute. 

I was an hour or two into my first day at college when someone random messaged me on ICQ (old school chat app) saying what happened.  I didn't think too much of it until I left an hour or so later and was driving home.

The world has never been the same again.

I certainly don't want to forget that day. It always makes me sad remembering it, but I see it as a "healthy" type of sad, so it's ok.

I was 24 and was living with the parents at the time in New Mexico. I woke up to my younger brother yelling to my mom to "come listen to this" as he listened to his radio while getting ready for class. I got up hoping to take a nice power walk before heading into work and met my mother in the living room watching TV. I went out there to put my running shoes on, and the first thing I saw was what looked like a giant smokestack from a factory or something. But in a matter of moments, I realized what it really was, and asked my mom what was going on. She told me in a nutshell what was happening. I was shaken, but I really wanted to go out to walk, so I grabbed my walkman and headed out. But I couldn't find a single up-beat song playing on any of my favorite radio stations- they were all airing news about what was happening in NYC. I couldn't bring myself to power walk to that. So I came back home, and for the next hour I sat with my mom in the living room and watched what was unfolding on the TV screen. I heard of another hijacked plane crashing into the Pentagon. I remember thinking it was unreal, this had to be a dream, there was no way this was really happening! I remember hearing about another "possible" hijacked plane and felt so terrified. And then heard it crashed in PA. And I watched live as the second tower fell, and just started sobbing.

I did NOT want to go to work, I was too scared. But I went, and it was a very slow day, everyone seemed to be in a daze or something. We had a meeting in the break room and no one was listening because the break room TV was tuned to the news. So our manager in disgust got up and turned the TV off and I remember thinking How insensitive! And I too remember feeling very distracted over the course of the next few weeks as almost nothing but coverage was being aired on TV and on the radio. It seemed to take forever before we got to regularly scheduled programing, and I finally felt like the healing process could begin.

As an afterthought, I was terrified that my brother would be drafted, forced to go to war, and be killed. The following year was scary, and I especially was so relived when he never got that call.

I was in 2nd grade when 9/11 happened. I remember being picked up from school by my brother and we went right home, since it was still happening and wasn't known if we'd be under attack as well. (I lived in Toronto, Canada at the time, so not very far away from New York.

At the time I didn't know what had happened because I was still pretty young, but looking on it now it's definitely something horrific to have happened in my lifetime.

I was just barely 13, and my woodshop had studyhall in a classroom, because our machines were down for maintenance.
The front office called every classroom, so the teacher turned the TV on, and we saw some of the coverage.

I wasn't even a year old when it happened, so even though I was alive for months before the incident, I can't remember any of the aftermath. Although, one of my family members was in the other Twin Tower when it happened. She must have been terrified. It's a real shame what happened... :(

I was getting ready to go to school in Pennsylvania when my aunt called and told us to turn on the TV.  I watched as the second plane hit on live TV.  My dad was away for flight training so we made a few calls to make sure he was safe.  Then seriously reconsidered moving to New York later the next month...  All in all, what affected me most was the incredible response to the aftermath.  The police, fire, military... and the volunteers.  I joined a SAR team on the principle that was demonstrated by all on that fateful day.  So That Others May Live.  I even had the opportunity to train with several of the dog team personal that trained several of the K9 teams that were deployed.  It was a great honor and yet so many lost so much.  Even if I were to be the only one... I will never forget.

• Like 1

I was only about 7 years' old at the time. I can hardly recall the day it happened as I was far away from the East Coast. It's very hazy and foggy, but I would guess I was in the local elementary school. I cannot recall the initial reaction, who was and if the teacher acknowledged it. 

Related: (Warning: Country/Religious mention)

I just want to tune out the most popular places on the Internet today. All the willful ignorance, arrogance, hatred and toxic attitudes regarding this day. Not browsing imgur, it'll be full of twin tower meme posts, if I browse Derpibooru the same, 9/11 memes out of disrespect. 'Like don't go between them' edit one. Where one comment was from someone personally affected. I was not personally affected by this tragedy, however for the people who were, those people who cannot take a joke for a very understandable reason. They say laughter is the best medicine, but for the people who were personally affected, there is no laughter about it. I say the memory of this day should be respected, the tragedy should be mourned, but the positive developments from that day, of the heroes to respond and risk their lives in doing so, should be celebrated. What should not be celebrated is the tragedy itself occurring. Many more people got cancer and such from being in the immediate area, especially those who went into the rubble. And cannot forget the Pennsylvania plane crash that was diverted, the attack on the Pentagon too. Also, the anthrax sent in many mailing letters. Irrevocable and unforgivable acts of violence on our home soil. Terrorists deserve no mercy, for they shall give none in turn. No quarter, why should we give them it? Turning a blind eye is easy enough, I was raised to turn the other cheek and forgive. If only I could do that for such terrible acts of violence and chemical warfare. For this, the Boston Marathon bombing, the Pulse night club shooting, there will be no forgiveness for these evil acts. I deeply resent it.

• Like 1

I was seven years old and in second grade. I remember my mother telling me just before we left for school. My father had called her from work earlier saying it was on the news, but my mom didn't allow me to watch it. At the time, I had a friend who was from New York. She had some relatives there, so I was told to wait until her parents talked with her about it first before bringing it up. Thankfully, none of her family members were victims of it. 

I remember feeling a little sad about the attacks, but I was too young to fully comprehend the entire situation. I don't remember how the people at my school were reacting to it. 

Just a couple months shy of 16. Was in gym when it started. Saw the gym teach and driver's ed teacher talking about something. Dismissed it as nothing major. Chemistry was next period, right around when the 2nd plane hit. Spent the rest of the day watching news.

Mmm... lets see I was I was 7 at the time so at that age I would have been in my room not really caring about the situation away from my toys... such a sorrowful event though. But I hardly knew it existed since my parents never explained anything of the sort to me.

2 hours ago, Peridot said:

Although, one of my family members was in the other Twin Tower when it happened. She must have been terrified. It's a real shame what happened... :(

Dang.. Was she ok? :(

I have a cousin who worked in one of the towers and was about to enter the building when the first plane hit. He had to duck under a truck to escape the falling debris moments afterward.

@ZeBronyCaptain and @Canyon Light, excellent posts. Thank you.

I was in 4th grade...so I was 10 years old, was about an hour into the school day when it happened. I had heard rumors about something awful happening out on the East Coast, but didn't actually find out what had happened until I got home from school that afternoon.

I was one when it happened so it wasn't that big to me. 

However that changed when the 7/7 bombing happened back in London. I saw the news and heard people compare it as the "english 9/11" so out of curiosity when at school I looked it up.

On that day I saw heartbreak but it was the first time world stood together as whlie  

I was probably seven or eight when it happened, I don't recall where I was but I just remember seeing it on television and my entire world as a child being shattered because being that young I thought I was living in a country where nothing like this could happen.....