Sign in to follow this  
NightRogue

Kind of having an issue with Waifu's

I know this may seem silly to some people but please hear me out. So, we all know that sometimes we feel attached to fictional characters and have ’waifu’s for fun, nothing serious. That’s with me. I had the EQG characters as waifu’s because I thought it was fun to entertain this idea. Nothing too extreme. Of course I still do like real women, but this was something I enjoyed having on the side. I’m 18 and I just started uni and I’ve been kind of feeling a little bothered that I won’t be able to still enjoy this fun as the EQG are 17 and in HS and I’m starting uni and I liked having waifu’s that weren’t creepy. It doesn’t give me angst or depression or anything but i do worry a little that now I’m too old to still have this little fun. I know it seems trivial but what do you guys think? Am I too old being 18 and going into university?

Well for one: she's not real. So as long as you don't come public with it no one will judge you. Or you more appropriately frame the answer to the question under, "My favorite is..."

We can take this further and assume you're pressed on the waifu question, of which you answer with the pone-world equivalent. But then you run the gamet of being called out on bestiality fetishes. Which if the sexual aspect of having a waifu in the main source of concern then welcome to the horse world, pick one of two: horse-fucking or statutory rape. Pick one.

At least with the later it's legally overlooked so long as  you do not acquire carnal knowledge of the subject; but may still be socially questioned.

porkey.jpg

• Like 1

Having a crush on a fictional character is fine so long as you don't use it as a replacement for real people.

Also, you watch a show intended for 8 year old girls. You should have dropped those concerns about being too old for things long ago. 

• Like 2

I think the fact that you're aware that potentially fetishizing highschool age girls (even though you know they're fictional and you still value real people) is a problem and you're worried about it, kind of says something about your issue in the first place. I don't think you have anything to worry about. 

Like Lunar Holiday said, waifu's are usually for fun and to be ridiculous. Just because your waifu is a fictional, colorful horse-girl does not increase your chances of actually being creepy with real highschool girls when you're aware of why that's creepy. And as the old saying goes, "If you're not having fun, what's the point?" If having a EQG as a waifu for yourself makes you uncomfortable or worry too much, maybe it's time to find something new. There's plenty of waifu's in the sea that are coded as being older/more mature. Riza Hawkeye, Tsunade, Satsuki Kiriyuin, and Rose Quartz come to mind, but those are also just my preferences.

Listen, back in the day girls were considered "adults" as soon as they were able to conceive children. As a modern, civilized human being, that is f-ing horrifying. However, nowadays legal adulthood has been given an arbitrary number. To me, a person is an adult when they are fully capable of making informed, responsible decisions. The level of maturity necessary for this is DIFFERENT for every person. Obviously this is not the case, legally speaking, but what you're asking about is not whether being attracted to a 17 year old is legally wrong, but morally wrong

So, the question becomes whether the EQ Girls are mature enough to make adult life decisions. To that, I would have to say.... Most of them? Obviously, Sunset's age is a controversial subject but she's obviously older than the rest. Rarity is practically ready to open her own business like her Equestrian counterpart. Fluttershy, while emotionally fragile, has shown herself to be responsible, thoughtful person. And Applejack is Applejack for crying out loud.

That leaves Pinkie, Rainbow and Sci-Twi.

Rainbow doesn't exactly strike me as fully developed, but that could just be her grandstanding brashness coming across as immature. When it comes to Twi, just being smart doesn't mean you're ready to be an adult. And Pinkie Pie is, as always, a wildcard. Who can say how much of her carefree attitude is just an act. After all, her pony self is Pinkie "Responsibility" Diane Pie.

Many waifus, 31, and never had a date? Are you using waifus to replace real human beings? I mean, some people are fine being eternally single, but it's not exactly typical.

On 9/13/2016 at 4:10 AM, ShadowSJG said:
I know this may seem silly to some people but please hear me out. So, we all know that sometimes we feel attached to fictional characters and have ’waifu’s for fun, nothing serious. That’s with me. I had the EQG characters as waifu’s because I thought it was fun to entertain this idea. Nothing too extreme. Of course I still do like real women, but this was something I enjoyed having on the side. I’m 18 and I just started uni and I’ve been kind of feeling a little bothered that I won’t be able to still enjoy this fun as the EQG are 17 and in HS and I’m starting uni and I liked having waifu’s that weren’t creepy. It doesn’t give me angst or depression or anything but i do worry a little that now I’m too old to still have this little fun. I know it seems trivial but what do you guys think? Am I too old being 18 and going into university?

Seems innocent enough to continue to enjoy, so long as it stays innocent of course. ;)

As you can see, ShadowSJG, you're not alone in your waifu problems.

In fact, I'd like to come forward and admit something. I, ABronyAccount, have a waifu problem. And the first step to overcoming it is admitting its existence.

It started out innocently enough, when I was young and stupid. I was an adolescent, and Sailor Moon would air in the mornings. Ami was... is adorable. She had the looks, she had the brains, she had this way of being humble and modest. I started to imagine her and myself together at the library, doing research, holding her bag when she had to go fight pretty people in bad glam costumes... It was just a fun diversion at the time.

But it's not a diversion if you never give it up. If you become dependent. And Ami was my gateway waifu. It wasn't long before I started moving on to harder stuff; Rogue in the original X-Men series, Batgirl in Batman: TAS, Elisa Maza in Gargoyles, Daria Morgendorfer from... Daria, I just couldn't say no. It got so bad I was ditching school to freebase Tara Boumdeay out of a spoon with a candlestick I'd keep hidden behind a dumpster. I didn't have a life outside of waifus!

But now I'm gainfully employed and I can buy all the cartoons I want, so I guess everything worked out in the end. I forgot where I was going with this. The point is, just say NO to waifus probably!

:spike101:

3 hours ago, ABronyAccount said:

As you can see, ShadowSJG, you're not alone in your waifu problems.

In fact, I'd like to come forward and admit something. I, ABronyAccount, have a waifu problem. And the first step to overcoming it is admitting its existence.

It started out innocently enough, when I was young and stupid. I was an adolescent, and Sailor Moon would air in the mornings. Ami was... is adorable. She had the looks, she had the brains, she had this way of being humble and modest. I started to imagine her and myself together at the library, doing research, holding her bag when she had to go fight pretty people in bad glam costumes... It was just a fun diversion at the time.

But it's not a diversion if you never give it up. If you become dependent. And Ami was my gateway waifu. It wasn't long before I started moving on to harder stuff; Rogue in the original X-Men series, Batgirl in Batman: TAS, Elisa Maza in Gargoyles, Daria Morgendorfer from... Daria, I just couldn't say no. It got so bad I was ditching school to freebase Tara Boumdeay out of a spoon with a candlestick I'd keep hidden behind a dumpster. I didn't have a life outside of waifus!

But now I'm gainfully employed and I can buy all the cartoons I want, so I guess everything worked out in the end. I forgot where I was going with this. The point is, just say NO to waifus probably!

:spike101:

Innocent when controllable my friend.

• Like 1

I'm almost there where WAMBurt is, 2 and a half years away from 31, never had a gf yet.
Mostly because no one seems to be interested (ok, SOME have shown the "hanky panky" interest), probably because i don't really like socializing and hardly ever goes out and meet people.
Only one i do have my eyes on is a black girl over in the US (which i've talked with ALOT, over 21.000 messages in a convo).
That aside: waifus, isn't that just something similar to, like, a childhood crush?
Atleast some of you had it towards some fictional disney princesses.
MLP ponies can't be that much different other than being shaped differently, they're still sentient, critically thinking entities with strong personalities (and super adorable too).
Me myself see myself waifu'ing Fluttershy since we both share a love for animals and nature (i must admit, i am kinda shy too).
And how could a waifu replace the real thing?

It's not like these MLPonies are real anyway.

On 13/9/2016 at 9:25 AM, Steamworks said:

Having a crush on a fictional character is fine so long as you don't use it as a replacement for real people.

Actually it's better than having crushes on real people, i mean we never know what intentions other people might hide behind their pretty faces, so waifus are comparatively harmless in that regard while falling in love with real persons always involves some degree of hazard.

I would say that people shouldn't try getting a couple until they're sure they're able to deal with all the consequences both physically and emotionally (and financially too!).

And "replacing" real people isn't really an issue as you're only "replacing" one form of relationship which is just one among many others that we stablish through life. We still can have friends, extended family, workmates, etc. A "real" couple is not essential to anybody's life unless you make it to be.

You're replacing real intimacy (both emotional and physical) with fantasy. It's also literally impossible for your waifu to love you back. There's also an element of unhealthy obsession with waifus. 

Edit: 

http://metro.co.uk/2010/03/09/man-marries-pillow-154906/ This is clearly an example of perfectly healthy behavior. 

10 hours ago, Steamworks said:

You're replacing real intimacy (both emotional and physical) with fantasy. It's also literally impossible for your waifu to love you back. There's also an element of unhealthy obsession with waifus. 

Edit: 

http://metro.co.uk/2010/03/09/man-marries-pillow-154906/ This is clearly an example of perfectly healthy behavior. 

I just want to clarify that I do not want to take my 'crush' that far. I want to be able to still have it while being attracted to girls in real life as well

15 hours ago, Steamworks said:

You're replacing real intimacy (both emotional and physical) with fantasy.

And nobody gets harmed in the process, so it's not something bad in my book. On the other hand, real people can eventually harm you, so i would say there are dangers and advantages in both ways, a "real" relationship may seem more rewarding, but the risks are also higher.

There are health benefits to being in a relationship with a real person: http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2012/11/14/study-married-couples-live-longer-healthier-lives-than-singles/

If you are that risk averse that spending your life hopelessly obsessed with a fantasy is preferable to the risk of a broken heart, therapists and councilors can help you work on that.

On 21/9/2016 at 6:59 PM, Steamworks said:

There are health benefits to being in a relationship with a real person: http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2012/11/14/study-married-couples-live-longer-healthier-lives-than-singles/

If you are that risk averse that spending your life hopelessly obsessed with a fantasy is preferable to the risk of a broken heart, therapists and councilors can help you work on that.

Funny how i was watching a report about a girl killed by her husband, i wonder if studies like that would be useful to comfort her relatives.

I don't need to spend money on anybody's "help" and i'm not saying that being obsessed is a good thing, i'm just saying that fantasy isn't evil and that it's up to anybody to decide whether or not to engage in any kind of relationship. We don't need other people to choose for us which way of life is the best.

You do have this bizarre expectation that relationships are nothing but evil. You keep seeing the exceptions to the millions of happy couples out there. I'm not aware of any psychological professional who would agree that marrying a fictional character to the exclusion of real connections with real people is psychologically normal and healthy. 

3 hours ago, Steamworks said:

You do have this bizarre expectation that relationships are nothing but evil. You keep seeing the exceptions to the millions of happy couples out there. I'm not aware of any psychological professional who would agree that marrying a fictional character to the exclusion of real connections with real people is psychologically normal and healthy. 

Relationships can be evil, or they can be good. That means there's a risk. Taking that risk or not is a decision people have to take by themselves and it's their problem if they decide that it's not worth the effort.

FUUUUUUUUUUUCK psychologists and their tyranny over people's lives! As long as you don't put anybody else's life or integrity at risk with your behaviour, you don't need them.

On 9/21/2016 at 3:59 PM, Steamworks said:

Getting a little too real there as well as personal don't you think?

Relax, dude. I'm in the California Highway Patrol and am working on an EMT certificate and i still have waifus. Sure, other people might think it's creepy, but guess what? OTHER people also don't think it's creepy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

On my point, when I turn 19, will it become weird then?

Why do you care? I'm pretty sure I do a lot of things considered weird to others, and I'm simply referring to things I do in every day life, like what I eat, or my style of humour. Who cares what you do in your personal time? Just enjoy whatever you do.

Put it this way. I find the whole idea of waifus to be weird, ridiculous, absurd, stupid, and a whole bunch of other negative adjectives (exaggerating for effect). There, now that I've made this statement, do you feel any different for reading it? You shouldn't, because who is this random internet stranger telling you something you like is bad? What value is my opinion to you? Logically speaking, if you still watch this show, despite countless others on the internet making worse statements about the show and its adult audience, what anyone else says should be irrelevant.

My opinion? Weird is good. It is a change from the normal and boring. That's all it is. Hakuna Matata!

• Like 1