WanderPony

How would YOU write a Celestia episode?

This is something that fans have been begging for since...I don't know when.

So, let's say you are hired on the show's writing team, and are given a chance to write the long-awaited Celestia episode. What happens in it?

I would have it be a cute and silly little story about Celestia and Luna doing sisterly things at home together.

Just a fun little story about her trying to have a day off, have fun, relax, maybe even a day where she just casually hangs around town.

Give her a day to be an actual character instead of a plot device/exposition dump

If Celestia ever got an episode, I'd do everything in my power to keep Luna as far from it as possible to avoid it becoming about Luna through Celestia. So I guess I failed at your requisites... I want a "Celestia episode", not a "Celestia AND Luna" episode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Metemponychosis said:

If Celestia ever got an episode, I'd do everything in my power to keep Luna as far from it as possible to avoid it becoming about Luna through Celestia. So I guess I failed at your requisites... I want a "Celestia episode", not a "Celestia AND Luna" episode.

27 minutes ago, BasementPony16 said:

I have to agree.

The only mention of Luna (if at all) i want in a Celestia Episode is Celestia saying:" There is nothing my little sister can do." That's all.

Luna is after all the least person that a Celestia Episode for Celestia should include.

Okay, so what would this "Celestia minus Luna" episode be about? How would it hold up without Luna?

I would give her a epic story worthy of a ruler of Equestria.
Most preferably a 2 parter.
Her age, power and wisdom would be the only thing that could possible save equestria.
Not Luna, not Discord, not the Mane 6, ONLY Celestia.

If it were me, I'd probably do a simple day-in-the-life kind of episode, just to show what she does, she's the focus the entire time obviously, no other major character get as much spotlight, maybe it could tie-in to another episode be a flip in perspective? I don't know.

Nothing too epic, maybe down the line in another Celestia focused episode.

Mostly I'd just like an episode that just gives her a lot of character and personality mostly.

At the start I was hoping to have an episode where she's felt guilty over sentencing her sister to the moon for 1000 years, but kept it all to herself all this time because she didn't want her feelings negativing impacting those around her. Over the course of time it's slowing been eating at her little by little to the point she has a lot of difficulties bottling it in any more. I was thinking about going with a Elric Brothers effect ( Full Metal Alchemist ) approach like you see after they discover the meaning behind the date in his watch and how Ed truly felt in regards to imprisoning his brother in the suit of armor sort of speak.

Whiling writing down how she would approach her sister Twilight stumbles upon one of the notes and decides to try and help her Teacher. Mainly because another thing I've been wanting to see is how close they truly are to one another. We've seen a lot of it from Twilight side regarding Celestia, but not as much from Celestia's side regarding Twilight. Eventually Twilight helps Celestia get enough confidence to approach her sister over the matters. Also hoping that in the end she whispers before entering to herself "Thank you Twilight, for being one of my best friends in the time we've spent together".

But... It might be a little too late in the show time frame to really have her holding issues like this by now, at least towards her Sister. Maybe it could be in regard's to Sunset Shimmers reunion instead?

1 hour ago, WanderPony said:

Okay, so what would this "Celestia minus Luna" episode be about? How would it hold up without Luna?

I think that Celestia needs to be shown as what we are supposed to see her. I mean that Celestia is the ruler that never rules, the teacher that never teaches, the guardian that never protects... You see where I'm going. Now the problem with this is that any episode needs to conform to the show's formula, so it must have an easy to follow moral and it probably demands the presence of certain characters (of which Celestia is certainly not a part of).

Back in the day, people used to say that if Twilight dropped the ball, Celestia would catch it. Seeing that would be fine for me, mostly because the cartoon has no qualms about showing the inverse. After all, Twilight is the closest thing this cartoon has to a main character... But the way I see it, everything that happens in this cartoon feels undermined because Celestia doesn't seem to be that impressive. For example: villain X defeated Celestia. So what? She folds like wet tissue every time we see her fight. And yet we know from "lore" that Celestia is not to be trifled with. There seems to be two Celestias: the one that is the badass ruler/defender of Equestria when we're not looking and the stepping stone for every villain when we are looking. And that is if we're lucky enough to see her even mentioned in the episode. I want to see the other Celestia too.

The problem with Luna is that she's too popular and we're too used to seeing Celestia making way for others. It would be too easy for the writer to use Celestia as a crutch to talk about Luna some more. But I also don't want to see the opposite. I want an episode that acknowledges Celestia as the character that she is, because of her, not despite Luna, or because of her. It seems that Celestia's defining moments are when Luna does something or when Discord does something, or Sombra, or Discord. Celestia, right now, is not a character. She's a plot device that sets up the stage for those characters to do their things.

For example, Luna's dream magic. Celestia needs something like that, where she can function independently so I know that she has her "uses" that are what she brings in when she's helping others. So, Luna has shown her value for herself and to others. Celestia, because I never saw her show her value for herself, feel like she's more of a liability because she never seems capable of doing things by herself. The keyword is "SEEMS".

I think it was "Stranger than Fanfiction", where Twilight can't go to Daring Do's convention with Dash because she's busy with Celestia at some important "diplomacy stuff". I want to see leaders shutting up and listening to Celestia when she speaks because she's the 1000+ years old ruler of a nation that seems to be the most stable and happiest one in that mess of a world they live in, even though a bunny stampede can cause panic. People have this weird notion that an episode about that premise would be boring... Diplomacy is fertile ground for social faux pas and political powerplay. If I'm the only one that can see a great moral and funny comedy from this, I need to quit my job and jump on a freelance writer career. Or maybe see Celestia actually helping ponies with stuff. Teaching Twilight how to make to disagreeing parties on a court session come to agreement simply by listening to them and providing insight. Let them butt heads till they're tired of disagreeing and then show them how stupid they were. Or just see Celestia blow shit up, because she seems to be the only princess that never does any of that. Honestly, anything that SHOWS that Celestia occupies a tangible place and has actual importance.

• Like 1

Play CK2, collect events, string them together into a story and release it no matter what comes out.

May the hand-chopping and face deforming commence.

A slice of life story about Celestia taking a day off has been done in the comics.  While, I wouldn't mind the show following suit, I think the show has done enough damage to the character that she needs to finally get an episode to let loose her power and show why she was able to keep the country safe on her own for a thousand years. 

Both she and Luna have been portrayed as damsels in distress far too often in the show.  Luna at least has gotten some episodes to offset this, but not Celestia.  Even in "Do Princess Dream of Magic Sheep", and episode that should have been all about Celestia and Luna's relationship, Celestia was not included because it was far more important from a narrative point of view to show things like Big Mac turning into a Princess.  And the show has had other opportunities.  Having her and Luna get captured in the S4 premiere, and instead of them telling the mane 6 about their backstory, the backstory is delivered to Twilight only via magic mcguffin juice, was a big missed opportunity.

Celestia needs an episode that showcases her power.   And to be honest, I don't expect it to ever happen. 

It's like if Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter had never let Gandalf or Dumbledore do anything.  Which would still be an improvement, because at least they weren't in distress and needing of rescue all the time.  Gandalf got captured once, and escaped in part because of his own cunning.  He sure didn't need Frodo to come help him.

An episode loosely in the style of Slice of Life where the Mane 6 are fighting something large back in Ponyville, but instead the focus is on Celestia and Luna. A show of their daily schedule, some throwbacks to the comics and their big sister / little sister dynamic would definitely be a big part of it. Dealing with annoying nobles and ambassadors in court, lunch breaks, toying with the castle staff, sibling rivalry, reminiscing over the past, finding hidden areas within their own castle they've forgotten, that kind of fluff. Anything to add more character to both of them really, especially Celestia.

On 13/9/2016 at 10:15 PM, Skyrazer said:

An episode loosely in the style of Slice of Life where the Mane 6 are fighting something large back in Ponyville, but instead the focus is on Celestia and Luna. A show of their daily schedule, some throwbacks to the comics and their big sister / little sister dynamic would definitely be a big part of it. Dealing with annoying nobles and ambassadors in court, lunch breaks, toying with the castle staff, sibling rivalry, reminiscing over the past, finding hidden areas within their own castle they've forgotten, that kind of fluff. Anything to add more character to both of them really, especially Celestia.

Sound good episode to me if it was real. 

But oh yeah I have seen the comic where Luna replace Celestia for one day and Celestia taking as normal pony in secret.