Anyone else on here that likes retro games? I thought it would be a cool thing to have a thread for it considering we already have individual categories for Nintendo, Playstation and Xbox.

Do you have any favorite old games you really like playing? Maybe want to share a story about it, or maybe you like collecting stuff? Post it all here!

My favorite consoles are probably SNES, N64, Playstation and Gamecube. (Not really sure if I would call GC retro but yeah, definitely not current)

retro_video_games-1592.jpg
Edited by ArcticEight
  • Like 2

I should get my small collection together sometime and show it off. APF TV Fun Model 401 (I think, it might be 401a) is my oldest, and I have a 6 switcher Atari 2600 that, according to the date inside it, was likely one of the last 6 switchers to roll out.

Stop calling the SNES retro. I shouldn't have memories of retro consoles from my youth.

Yep, I like to collect, though lately I haven't done much because I'm trying to save my money. I usually go for SNES and N64 stuff, and I want to start getting Genesis stuff sometime soon.

I also love to go back and replay. I just got done with a Final Fantasy VII playthrough actually. 

Goldeneye 64 and a number of other great N64 games...so much fun when I was younger. Those first few Medal of Honor games were also quite fun.

Before that generation, I have fond memories of Road Rash, Sonic, and other games for the Sega Genesis.

I'm really fond of the original trilogy of Donkey Kong Country series, especially the second and third game. Still playing these games from time to time.

One of the first games I solely owned was Super Mario Bros 3 for NES. There was hardly a moment where I wasn't playing that (and killing off Mario so I can play as Luigi).

So I recently got my Super Nintendo and NES (Top Loader version) back from RGB modding, and the quality is superb.

It looks super crisp, almost like emulator quality but on the actual consoles. I got a chip called NESRGB installed in the NES to override the video output from the console without replacing the PPU (Picture Processing Unit) with a Playchoice-10 (Basically the arcade counterparts to the NES) PPU. Those usually cost a lot, and with this alternative I got to keep my original PPU.

The Super Nintendo on the other hand; It's the SNES Mini / Jr. version that basically comes with what most people consider to be the best video chip in any SNES version.

Only problem is that it never had any RGB by default, only composite and RF (?) so it had to be modded, I got the guy modding it to do the external RGB amp method.
What that basically means is that there's an external amplifier chip, well, amplifiying the video signal before it passes through the multi-out port, giving it a brighter and much cleaner look.

Both consoles are modded with composite sync (raw sync) as well, basically the best kind of sync you can have. Most cheap cables you buy off the internet come with sync on composite video, rather than composite sync. It might sound very similar, but it's actually very different. You'll most likely end up with artifacts if you use that sync method, such as vertical lines and a weird checker board effect all over the screen, making everything look overly dark and saturated.

Here are some pictures of my SNES running Killer Instinct through RGB with clean sync on a Sony PVM 20L4.

Sony PVM (Professional Video Monitor) and BVM (Broadcast Video Monitor) monitors are by some people considered to be the best CRT monitors available when it comes to both quality as well as little to no input lag whatsoever. They were originally not meant to be of commercial use. BVMs were often used in TV studios in the late 90s / early 2000s and PVMs used for surveillance cameras as well as in hospitals. They used to be really expensive, but they have seen exponential price drops as of late, considering they're so old by now and most companies have moved over to newer equipment.

Edited by ArcticEight
Fixing a few things~

One day this post will be almost as retro as these consoles/games kappa

I should get a controller for PC so I can play emulated games more comfortably.

I love retro games. My first console was a Nintendo, that my parents bought in 1989. I played games like Air Fortress, Wall Street Kid, P.O.W., Mission: Impossible, Silent Service, Hunt For Red October, and so so so many more. Of course, my favorite system was the Super Nintendo, which I bought with my own money in 1994 (I got a job just so I could buy one). It came with the system, a Killer Instinct hat, the Killer Cuts CD, and the game itself. I owned other games like Sunset Riders, Donkey Kong Country, Pilotwings, Star Trek: TNG, and so many more. I think it will always be my favorite system, even though better ones have come along.

I used to own a Famicom and an SNES back in the days.

Had a Super Gameboy, SMW, Mario Allstars, Street Fighters II Turbo, and Ken Griffy Major League Baseball.

For some reason I still have my Super Scope 6

2548841-super_scope_sfc.jpg

And for the Famicom.

I had Castlevania, Contra, Super C, Megaman 5, Double Dragon 2, 1944, and Final Fantasy II(not the FF4).

I am all about the retro games. I currently own an NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Mega Drive, and a PS1 and 2, along with various handhelds. I also have quite a number of rare gems in my collection.

I remember a friend once "giving" (he took it back later) his Gameboy, and I played Batman on it. This was back in middle school, when Gameboys were brand new and crazy awesome. I had so much fun with that thing. I miss it.

Just now, LotusTeaDragon said:

I remember a friend once "giving" (he took it back later) his Gameboy, and I played Batman on it. This was back in middle school, when Gameboys were brand new and crazy awesome. I had so much fun with that thing. I miss it.

Before the Game Boy and during most of its life.

These were the "Poor Man's GB"

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tiger+handheld&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCpO7s-ODOAhUL9WMKHWnzAdUQ_AUICCgB

Just now, Lord Seraph said:

Before the Game Boy and during most of its life.

These were the "Poor Man's GB"

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tiger+handheld&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCpO7s-ODOAhUL9WMKHWnzAdUQ_AUICCgB

Now THERE's some nostalgia. I owned so many of those. My favorite one is still the Top Gun tiger handheld. I played that thing so much the buttons eventually broke.

Just now, LotusTeaDragon said:

Now THERE's some nostalgia. I owned so many of those. My favorite one is still the Top Gun tiger handheld. I played that thing so much the buttons eventually broke.

Nintendo also had a foot in that market.

Game and Watch handhelds.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=game+%26+watch+hand+held&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjd96W0-eDOAhVV72MKHdV5D0YQ_AUICCgB

One of the designs inspired the DS dual screen design.

Speaking of Game and Watch. I still have my Game and Watch Gallery 1game.

57630_front.jpg

13 minutes ago, Lord Seraph said:

Nintendo also had a foot in that market.

Game and Watch handhelds.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=game+%26+watch+hand+held&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjd96W0-eDOAhVV72MKHdV5D0YQ_AUICCgB

One of the designs inspired the DS dual screen design.

Speaking of Game and Watch. I still have my Game and Watch Gallery 1game.

57630_front.jpg

I did not know Nintendo had played around in that market. Also, that Game & Watch gallery looks awesome. Oh, to have that back in the day!

Here's a Japan only exclusive.

tumblr_niuhh1gjQU1rtobu5o2_540.jpg

From the same makers of River City Ransom and Supr Dodge Ball on the NES.

This game is basically basketball, with a fighting/beat'em up martial arts element to them.

• Like 1

I'm pretty much obsessed with retro games. I have every Sega console on my goal of owning every Sonic game, which led me to getting a lot of games for each console along with those, so it kind of just happened XD Though my N64 gets use sometimes. I'd use the NES/SNES/N64's more if I had more then a handful of games for them all combined, but the decent games are pretty costly today. I beat one, buy another. Just stuck on the ones I do own atm. My Gamecube gets so much use I'm surprised it hasn't blown up yet lol, though I did have 2 overheat in the past ^^;

• Like 1