WanderPony

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

I said I'd start a separate thread for this on the comic strips thread, so I'm going to do so now.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn is a comic strip by Dana Claire Simpson, the author of Ozy and Millie. It started out as a webcomic called Heavenly Nostrils in 2012, before being moved to the newspapers with its current title in 2015.

It's about a nine year-old girl named Phoebe who befriends a narcissistic unicorn named Marigold Heavenly Nostrils, and the adventures the two have together.

You can read the first strip here.

I think it's cute and enjoyable. It's been compared a lot to Calvin and Hobbes, and that's actually the reason I got into it (I'm a huge C&H fan). At the same time, there's enough differences to feel like its own product. It's not as great as C&H, but for what it is, it's a pretty good strip. Not all the jokes get a laugh out of me, but enough do. 

So, what do you think of the comic?

Thank goodness MLP doesn't have to deal with issues like this...:awesomecheer:

2mzefm1.jpg

I love this comic, and do think the comparisons to Calvin and Hobbes are accurate, though Phoebe isn't a jerk like Calvin was.  Also love her going with A "The Last Unicorn" like design for Marigold.

Ah, my aunt lives in america so she got me one of the comic books from NYC comic con. I extremely love the comic, and the author/artist's interpretation of a unicorn is just so UNIQUEcorn. (ignore me. I love bad puns.)

I've talked to Dana Claire Simpson on Twitter a few times. Not only am I following her, but she started following me back! (Probably because my username is Hobbes the Tiger, my icon is of Hobbes, and she appears to be a Calvin and Hobbes fan, judging by the obvious C&H influence in P&HU).

Anyways, shortly after getting into the strip, I asked her if she was considering getting into animation. She said it's something she's explored, and told me to stay tuned. Much later, I asked her if she was as opposed to licensing as Bill Watterson was. She said no, she's fine with licensing as long as the strip's integrity isn't lost in favor of making money. (She followed me right after I asked that question.)

That makes me wonder if she's considering animating her strip sometime. I think it would be really cool if it was done in a style emulating the classic Peanuts and Garfield specials, complete with similar music style.