Lunar Holiday

What Kind of Forums do you prefer?

So, I've been hopping around forums for a little while, always checking up one something.

I'm going to say this right now, I haven't been here for as long as most here, but I can say for certain these are my favorite forums,

there just isn't something with a warmer feel than The Family

Maybe I'm biased or something, but it just feels a little more organic here!

And this made me wonder, do you guys prefer huge forums with tons of action? Or do you like small, more tightly-knit forums?

I have to admit, there is a certain appeal in going on, say, something like a small server and running into familiar faces. You get to know each other a tad easier, you know?

Sure, all the larger servers have more going on and have bustling towns and fancy warps, but I always kinda liked the quaint little "villa" feeling going on!

It was just you, your little motley crew, and the world! Nothing felt more free!

Now, friends, tell me your thoughts, and share with the other friends!

I prefer smaller forums like this one. When it comes to larger forums I always get nervous knowing that there are lots of people on it, some of them not very nice, and usually worry myself till I end not posting anything. I suppose this forum being an MLP forum helps a lot relying the friendship and being nice and everything.

Anyway that's just me and I don't like big crowds of people for the same reason, sooo that may also have something to do with it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jet Streak said:

I prefer smaller forums like this one. When it comes to larger forums I always get nervous knowing that there are lots of people on it, some of them not very nice, and usually worry myself till I end not posting anything. I suppose this forum being an MLP forum helps a lot relying the friendship and being nice and everything.

Anyway that's just me and I don't like big crowds of people for the same reason, sooo that may also have something to do with it.

ARRRGHH. I know what'cha mean, Jet! Large crowds are waaaay too scary for me. It certainly does help having a forum of a show based on friendship and not being a total jerk! Thing is, I just don't see people lashing out too much in smaller groups, it really does make me feel like a special snowflake to be part of something big, yet small!

4 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

321613__safe_twilight+sparkle_animated_i

Reveal hidden contents

I kid.

Close Family best family

I like smaller forums like this; It feels like one big family! I go on the DeviantArt forums as well, but they're kind of...split. Like their most notorious section, the Politics section, is pretty toxic and usually joked about a lot. Funnily enough, I used to play Blockland a lot in 2010 and frequent their forums, and eventually got myself kicked out because everyone hated my guts (Mind you, I was only 11. Perhaps I was actually trolling them pretty good?)  :ajlol:

2 minutes ago, ChibiDashie said:

I like smaller forums like this; It feels like one big family! I go on the DeviantArt forums as well, but they're kind of...split. Like their most notorious section, the Politics section, is pretty toxic and usually joked about a lot. Funnily enough, I used to play Blockland a lot in 2010 and frequent their forums, and eventually got myself kicked out because everyone hated my guts (Mind you, I was only 11. Perhaps I was actually trolling them pretty good?)  :ajlol:

Agreed! I just think the main issue with smaller forums is sometimes the "inactivity" (More like my impatience!), since this is basically my only was to socialize ohgodwhatismylife

Especially on that RP sub-forum! I go here and there to find some neat RP, and whoa! I'm plunged into this epic confrontation lying on the horizon that decides the ultimate victor of the three great factions in the Northern Dunes, wrestling for control over the Yuox particles left by a black smoke which covered the land 132 years ago! Or maybe one with decades worth of lore put into this one RP thread that started waaaayyy back in 2014 and is somehow still chugging along, in which the ponies made contact with the PLANE PONES and have merged cultures and technology to create THE ULTRA MECHA-DEATH HORSE 4000. 

Well, it's either that, or good ol' Slice of Life RP.

Me? I just want a casual "Here's your motley crew, here's the treasure; work it out. It's gonna be silly, you're gonna be silly" kinda thing

Aaaaaannnnd just like that I have derailed my own thread. Just as planned

Definitely the smaller, friendlier ones. Here and the Tavern of Souls have been my favourite forums in a long time.

6 minutes ago, Arix said:

Definitely the smaller, friendlier ones. Here and the Tavern of Souls have been my favourite forums in a long time.

Yes, the general consensus seems to be for the smaller forums, and I could not agree more!

I always have several tabs open for each forum I frequent, so I get a nice mix of big/fast-moving and smaller/slower ones.

This made me go back and revisit the first forum I ever joined. 2002! The forums are still up kind-of, but nobody can register new accounts and the site itself is withering away because Webcomics just aren't the new hotness anymore. Still, there's a lot of history on that site. Steven Universe's Ian J. Quartey made his debut there!

10 hours ago, ABronyAccount said:

I always have several tabs open for each forum I frequent, so I get a nice mix of big/fast-moving and smaller/slower ones.

This made me go back and revisit the first forum I ever joined. 2002! The forums are still up kind-of, but nobody can register new accounts and the site itself is withering away because Webcomics just aren't the new hotness anymore. Still, there's a lot of history on that site. Steven Universe's Ian J. Quartey made his debut there!

I'm glad! Even though it seems to be kinda fading, it still sounds pretty neat (the forums, I mean!) And while I never actually watched Steven Universe, I can definitely tell that it's slightly more than "a little popular"  Real interesting stuff, though!

4 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

I like smaller forums because people stand out more. Like a small town, everypony seems to know everypony.

Yeah, it's always a treat to get to know everyone's little quirks, like "Oh, that's just Greg, him and his boats" or "Ah! You never cease to bring a smile on my face, Marry! You and your murder!"

3 hours ago, Lunar Holiday said:

"Ah! You never cease to bring a smile on my face, Marry! You and your murder!"

Mary we need to talk...

These forums have the right mix of joking around and caring about each other. When I've posted in here I've thought about it will make people feel and is the right thing than just to react to a joke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I'veBeenCalledE said:

Mary we need to talk...

These forums have the right mix of joking around and caring about each other. When I've posted in here I've thought about it will make people feel and is the right thing than just to react to a joke.

This made me gag, in all the right ways.

PS. SEND HELP

Small forums can be nice if they're active. From what I've seen, this place is rather active so it gets a thumbs up from me.

I just mainly enjoy forums where there is something going on. When a forum is dead or quiet, I lose interest.

2 hours ago, Nile Komnenos said:

Small forums can be nice if they're active. From what I've seen, this place is rather active so it gets a thumbs up from me.

I just mainly enjoy forums where there is something going on. When a forum is dead or quiet, I lose interest.

Yes, it is fortunate that these forums are so lively!

I'm active on another forum. I hate the censorship and family friendly verdict of it, the community there besides the off topic is absolute cancer and childish. It is a really big forum. I hated how they removed sections a few years ago to support the family friendly ness for little kids when the mature, adult, and politeness of the older community is shut out.

• Like 1

Just now, StarlightGlimmer said:

I'm active on another forum. I hate the censorship and family friendly verdict of it, the community there besides the off topic is absolute cancer and childish. It is a really big forum. I hated how they removed sections a few years ago to support the family friendly ness for little kids when the mature, adult, and politeness of the older community is shut out.

A darn shame! Sometimes some of the community-based things just change so much when they grow larger D:

Just now, Lunar Holiday said:

A darn shame! Sometimes some of the community-based things just change so much when they grow larger D:

It is the Minecraft forums. I used to play minecraft way back when I was younger and dumber, I've totally lost interest in it and I view it as cancer now a days. I have the same user name on there and have 1,400 posts or something like that.

Another thing is that there are 5 or 6 individuals on there that put no effort into their posts, always sarcastic, always make no sense, and are always bashing me for events that went down in 2015 when I had my old account. I hate that. I might just quit that forum, but I am active on an RP on there.

1 minute ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

It is the Minecraft forums. I used to play minecraft way back when I was younger and dumber, I've totally lost interest in it and I view it as cancer now a days. I have the same user name on there and have 1,400 posts or something like that.

Another thing is that there are 5 or 6 individuals on there that put no effort into their posts, always sarcastic, always make no sense, and are always bashing me for events that went down in 2015 when I had my old account. I hate that. I might just quit that forum, but I am active on an RP on there.

Argh! I get what you mean, that place is just so huge! And for some reason the entire game just has a downright terrible rep when it comes the the playerbase.

But I'd think I'd stay there too if there was a decent RP thing going on! Absolutely dying for something small and silly!

Though, I have real fond memories of minecraft, back when it was in super early alpha and the grass made your eye bleed, those were the days!

And then the beta rolled around and there was all this new stuff to it! I have the best memories from playing on a super small vanilla server with real nice people, all just building our homes and going on adventures!

And then the Adventure Update came in and everyone was super hyped for that, too! But for some reason the later updates to minecraft just seemed...bland-ish? There was so much more to do from that point on, and so many places to go, but for some reason the game took a hit in the atmosphere department for me :/

Slowly lost interest in it, but all this rambling is giving me nostalgia for that vanilla server again!

This is a fairly small place, fit for a fairly small server, isn't it?...

3 minutes ago, Lunar Holiday said:

Argh! I get what you mean, that place is just so huge! And for some reason the entire game just has a downright terrible rep when it comes the the playerbase.

But I'd think I'd stay there too if there was a decent RP thing going on! Absolutely dying for something small and silly!

Though, I have real fond memories of minecraft, back when it was in super early alpha and the grass made your eye bleed, those were the days!

And then the beta rolled around and there was all this new stuff to it! I have the best memories from playing on a super small vanilla server with real nice people, all just building our homes and going on adventures!

And then the Adventure Update came in and everyone was super hyped for that, too! But for some reason the later updates to minecraft just seemed...bland-ish? There was so much more to do from that point on, and so many places to go, but for some reason the game took a hit in the atmosphere department for me :/

Slowly lost interest in it, but all this rambling is giving me nostalgia for that vanilla server again!

This is a fairly small place, fit for a fairly small server, isn't it?...

I partially quit minecraft due to the horrible community and losing my account and generally losing interest in it. I have nostalgia for it but not as much as I did a year ago. I like this place because it is small and active, not huge, inactive and out of control like the minecraft forum. LOTS of people left due to the staff shutting down a few sections.

I partially quit minecraft due to the horrible community and losing my account and generally losing interest in it. I have nostalgia for it but not as much as I did a year ago. I like this place because it is small and active, not huge, inactive and out of control like the minecraft forum.

Amen!

They removed a section called PPNS, it was a horrible mistake as many users have left since then. 

What was PPNS all about? I mean, it surely must have been pretty big if that happened!

Just now, Lunar Holiday said:

What was PPNS all about? I mean, it surely must have been pretty big if that happened!

Politics, Philosophy, News and Science. It really brought mature users to the forum, but when it was closed they packed their bags and left the forum, and now it is big, out of control and basically cancer besides that 1 RP I play in.