Lunar Holiday

What Kind of Forums do you prefer?

Just now, StarlightGlimmer said:

Politics, Philosophy, News and Science. It really brought mature users to the forum, but when it was closed they packed their bags and left the forum, and now it is big, out of control and basically cancer besides that 1 RP I play in. 

Huh, I never could imagine that having a forum for that! But it can't all be bad, right?

There's gotta be some people who stayed that look for a nice place to chat politics! 

1 minute ago, Lunar Holiday said:

Huh, I never could imagine that having a forum for that! But it can't all be bad, right?

There's gotta be some people who stayed that look for a nice place to chat politics! 

There are some people on there that were around and still are around, but are mostly inactive. Most of the off topic section there is inactive besides forum games and forum support.

Just now, StarlightGlimmer said:

There are some people on there that were around and still are around, but are mostly inactive. Most of the off topic section there is inactive besides forum games and forum support.

Man, that kinda blows!

At least there's always RP!

Just now, Lunar Holiday said:

Man, that kinda blows!

At least there's always RP!

Yeah there is but thats the only reason I am still there. I am active on several other forums and at least those aren't like the minecraft forum and are small and mature

2 minutes ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

Yeah there is but thats the only reason I am still there. I am active on several other forums and at least those aren't like the minecraft forum and are small and mature

Well, you know what they say, the only reason to get the trail mix is for the fun of STARING DOWN YOUR ENEMY AS YOU TOSS HIM AWAY LIKE THE HORRID RAISIN HE IS

I've been in both and I'd take the smaller forum any day. A tightly knit community is better than a large mass where you're a nobody.

You can stand out in a smaller community since everyone knows everyone else and your voice isn't drowned out in the masses of people that come in on a daily basis. That's part of the reason why I never comment on places like EQD or Fimfiction. Your voice over there hardly means anything since you're just another person in the crowd, unless someone there knows you and might care about your opinion.

We expected that to happen here after the EQD merger, but not enough regulars stuck for that to actually come true.

2 minutes ago, Skyrazer said:

I've been in both and I'd take the smaller forum any day. A tightly knit community is better than a large mass where you're a nobody.

You can stand out in a smaller community since everyone knows everyone else and your voice isn't drowned out in the masses of people that come in on a daily basis. That's part of the reason why I never comment on places like EQD or Fimfiction. Your voice over there hardly means anything since you're just another person in the crowd, unless someone there knows you and might care about your opinion.

We expected that to happen here after the EQD merger, but not enough regulars stuck for that to actually come true.

Well, it certainly is nice to be heard! Especially by people you've at least seen before!

I'm also all for the smaller, more intimate forums. I've always only been a part of forums dedicated to animation or a particular show. I joined CartoonBrew a decade ago, but never felt at "home" there. It was just way too big, responses were pouring in faster than anyone could keep up with them. Aside from the admins and any members going back to the early days who were still active, no one knew each other. And I very rarely wrote anything because I knew there was little chance of anyone even seeing what I had to say. I only checked in to catch up on any news, and lurked.

My favorite forum was one dedicated to one of Lauren's older shows; Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. The show ended 7 years ago and it's sadly dead now, but man, during the show's heyday that place was the bomb! Everyone knew everyone, strict rules and admin who upheld them maintained a healthy environment. We ended up friending a lot of other members on FB, calling/video calling, meeting some in person (and not only at cons!), sending each other gifts, flying cross country to see each other (one actually visited from across the planet). Friendships were made for life. Not to mention, when everyone knows everyone and they "live" their lives on the forum, things can get entertaining in other ways. I'll admit it's fun watching personal drama unfold as long as I wasn't involved, lol. We had a couple who became romantically involved for a few years. Watching that was... interesting, haha. Good times. :)

This forum is still a baby and finding its footing. We're going to have a lot of members join, lose interest after a few weeks, and then never come back. But those who become regulars and are still around after a year or two have the potential to make this forum a grand place, too. :cloppa:

5 minutes ago, Dublyn Tea said:

I'm also all for the smaller, more intimate forums. I've always only been a part of forums dedicated to animation or a particular show. I joined CartoonBrew a decade ago, but never felt at "home" there. It was just way too big, responses were pouring in faster than anyone could keep up with them. Aside from the admins and any members going back to the early days who were still active, no one knew each other. And I very rarely wrote anything because I knew there was little chance of anyone even seeing what I had to say. I only checked in to catch up on any news, and lurked.

My favorite forum was one dedicated to one of Lauren's older shows; Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. The show ended 7 years ago and it's sadly dead now, but man, during the show's heyday that place was the bomb! Everyone knew everyone, strict rules and admin who upheld them maintained a healthy environment. We ended up friending a lot of other members on FB, calling/video calling, meeting some in person (and not only at cons!), sending each other gifts, flying cross country to see each other (one actually visited from across the planet). Friendships were made for life. Not to mention, when everyone knows everyone and they "live" their lives on the forum, things can get entertaining in other ways. I'll admit it's fun watching personal drama unfold as long as I wasn't involved, lol. We had a couple who became romantically involved for a few years. Watching that was... interesting, haha. Good times. :)

This forum is still a baby and finding its footing. We're going to have a lot of members join, lose interest after a few weeks, and then never come back. But those who become regulars and are still around after a year or two have the potential to make this forum a grand place, too. :cloppa:

Christ, that sounded like quite the story! I remember Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends real nicely, and to think they had forums such as those is real nice to hear!

Sounded like a blast!

I remember a time, back before you could replace 20xx with 201x, when there was a massive online forum that was still slow enough in certain sections to be friendly.

Where you could discuss philosophy, theology, political ideology, or science day in and day out.

Where you could have five separate characters, each in their own RP thread, each with their own customizable avatars.

Where the spammers were mostly lured to one honeypot forum and contained enough for civil discourse.

That was back in the good years. Back when "the battle system is coming" was still an unfulfilled promise by the devs. Back when inflation was relatively stable in single digit multiples each half-year.

Now all is desolation and despair. The promise of youth is gone, the golden times of camaraderie and discourse long overshadowed. Are there any yet who still hold within their hearts those years of decency and substance? Who will weep for the fungus-bewebbed husk of Gaia Online?

On 9/15/2016 at 5:27 PM, Lunar Holiday said:

So, I've been hopping around forums for a little while, always checking up one something.

I'm going to say this right now, I haven't been here for as long as most here, but I can say for certain these are my favorite forums,

there just isn't something with a warmer feel than The Family

Maybe I'm biased or something, but it just feels a little more organic here!

And this made me wonder, do you guys prefer huge forums with tons of action? Or do you like small, more tightly-knit forums?

I have to admit, there is a certain appeal in going on, say, something like a small server and running into familiar faces. You get to know each other a tad easier, you know?

Sure, all the larger servers have more going on and have bustling towns and fancy warps, but I always kinda liked the quaint little "villa" feeling going on!

It was just you, your little motley crew, and the world! Nothing felt more free!

Now, friends, tell me your thoughts, and share with the other friends!

Definitely one's where it's easy to breathe like here though knit-tight enough to keep things to an appropriate level of security.

9 minutes ago, ABronyAccount said:

I remember a time, back before you could replace 20xx with 201x, when there was a massive online forum that was still slow enough in certain sections to be friendly.

Where you could discuss philosophy, theology, political ideology, or science day in and day out.

Where you could have five separate characters, each in their own RP thread, each with their own customizable avatars.

Where the spammers were mostly lured to one honeypot forum and contained enough for civil discourse.

That was back in the good years. Back when "the battle system is coming" was still an unfulfilled promise by the devs. Back when inflation was relatively stable in single digit multiples each half-year.

Now all is desolation and despair. The promise of youth is gone, the golden times of camaraderie and discourse long overshadowed. Are there any yet who still hold within their hearts those years of decency and substance? Who will weep for the fungus-bewebbed husk of Gaia Online?

An impressive husk it must be! One with more history than can be conveyed in a single post! Maybe one day a nice little boy will come and break off a tooth from it and make a neat little necklace, in a wholehearted way, of course!

7 minutes ago, Galacter said:

Definitely one's where it's easy to breathe like here though knit-tight enough to keep things to an appropriate level of security.

Yes, sometimes the better things in life are the smallest.

Ladies? :smugtrixie:

3 hours ago, Lunar Holiday said:

An impressive husk it must be! One with more history than can be conveyed in a single post! Maybe one day a nice little boy will come and break off a tooth from it and make a neat little necklace, in a wholehearted way, of course!

Yes, sometimes the better things in life are the smallest.

Ladies? :smugtrixie:

Oh ho ho ho, the pink one has a deeper side than shown it would seem. ;)

• Like 1

THAT JUST MEANS IT WORKS FASTER

I'll be sure to record so you can begin your album Miss Pinkis. ;)

We're gonna be famous, just you wait, friend!

I must admit I have been interested in the tools of musical profession.

Friend, soon these tools will be just like another arm to you!

Probably both figuratively and literally I again guess for.

You have guessed correctly, friend!

Wisdom and age are more enjoyable than most believe, but that is coming from an immortal. ;)