Harwick

How do the Mane Cast rank by personal fame?

Fans have long been a bit annoyed that the Mane Six don't seem to get much respect despite saving their homeland many times over.  So it got me to thinking, just how famous are they collectively and individually?  Equestria seems to have limited mass media:. No television, no radio, but we have seen newspapers, magazines, photography and even films.  Manehattan didn't seem to give a rat's ass about a Princess needing a taxi.  The fashion world briefly fell in love with Fluttershy.  Dash was recognized as a great flier in Rainbow Falls even before joining the Wonderbolts.  Applejack has some rodeo circuit success under her hat.  Rarity was the Cosmare cover girl.  Pinkie connects with everyone and throws life-changing parties.  Spike's the hero of the Crystal Empire. They're all immortalized in stained glass in Canterlot... But how well are they known in other cities?

So what's the order of the Mane Cast in terms of fame, in your estimation?  How do other ponies compare... Say DJ Pon-3, Octavia, other princesses, the two princes, pony pop stars, the other Wonderbolts, Trendermane...?

I would say that Twilight has gained more respect over the past couple of seasons, although even then I can't imagine Fancy Pants going off on Princess Celestia or Luna the way he did Twilight in "Princess Spike".

Likewise, Rarity's star has risen considerably these past two seasons, after the opening of her Canterlot and Manehattan boutiques.

Beyond those two, their fame is of a more local or specialized nature. 

15 minutes ago, Jerry Modene said:

I would say that Twilight has gained more respect over the past couple of seasons, although even then I can't imagine Fancy Pants going off on Princess Celestia or Luna the way he did Twilight in "Princess Spike".

Likewise, Rarity's star has risen considerably these past two seasons, after the opening of her Canterlot and Manehattan boutiques.

Beyond those two, their fame is of a more local or specialized nature. 

I am often left wondering how Equestrians think of Alicorn Princesses based on how Twilight is treated.  I mean, for the better part of 1000 years there was only Celestia to most ponies.  Then Cadance had to come along, and that must have been a major deal.  Then Luna returned.  Then a few years later Twilight was coronated.  Then Flurry Heart was born.  In real life, Apollo 11 was the first mission to let a man walk on the moon, yet by Apollo 13 television networks were already declining to cover live broadcasts from space because it was boring to viewers.  Is seeing Twilight as the third new princess to come along in a decade or so making her kind of humdrum as well?

i agree that their fame varies greatly depending on location.  At the start of the show, Applejack seemed to perhaps be the most famous in Ponyville.  Her family founded the town, and there were multiple Applejack appreciation celebrations held by the mayor.  I might say that her fame has grown the least... Maybe hers and Pinkie's.  All of them are famous in Ponyville now.

I'd say that after Twilight, Rarity, Dash and Spike have measurable popularity.  Spike might have the most popularity of any of them in the Crystal Empire, and zero influence most anywhere else.  Rarity is indeed the pony everypony should know in Canterlot, and a well-known name in fashion at this point.  Dash's celebrity is likely to grow the fastest now that she's an active Wonderbolt.

Jee, that's a tough question!

But to be honest, it's all too minute for me to follow correctly, so sometimes I like to think the end of Equestria is a mildly bad Thursday for most ponies

If we just ignore their "Elements of Harmony" status, then we can work things out:

• Twilight is a new Alicorn Princess, she is the most famous.
  • Rarity owns several boutiques, and is on the cover of many famous magazines and known by celebrities, she is second.
  • Applejack would likely be known for business relations and trade as she shares the Apple name with relatives across Equestria.
  • Rainbow Dash is the Equestrian equivalent of a Blue Angels flyer, in reality everybody knows the Blue Angels, but not everyone knows their names.
  • Pinkie Pie knows everypony in Ponyville. Her relation with those outside of Ponyville however is shaky.
  • Fluttershy intentionally keeps to herself.

This is just in my perspective though. I struggled to position Applejack and Rainbow Dash, swapping them a bunch of times.

7 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

If we just ignore their "Elements of Harmony" status, then we can work things out:

• Rarity owns several boutiques, and is on the cover of many famous magazines and known by celebrities, she is second.
  • Applejack would likely be known for business relations and trade as she shares the Apple name with relatives across Equestria.
  • Rainbow Dash is the Equestrian equivalent of a Blue Angels flyer, in reality everybody knows the Blue Angels, but not everyone knows their names.
  • Pinkie Pie knows everypony in Ponyville. Her relation with those outside of Ponyville however is shaky.

This is just in my perspective though. I struggled to position Applejack and Rainbow Dash, swapping them a bunch of times.

Well, they were the Elements of Harmony, not sure if that title applies anymore since they've been returned to the tree. Maybe "The Friendship Council" is a more accurate title?

That is pretty much how I would rank them too, except throw in Spike in between Rainbow and Pinkie as he's a pretty big deal over in the Crystal Empire (and was Dragon Lord for a whole 60 seconds, but no one really knows about that). 

1 hour ago, Skyrazer said:

Well, they were the Elements of Harmony, not sure if that title applies anymore since they've been returned to the tree. Maybe "The Friendship Council" is a more accurate title?

That is pretty much how I would rank them too, except throw in Spike in between Rainbow and Pinkie as he's a pretty big deal over in the Crystal Empire (and was Dragon Lord for a whole 60 seconds, but no one really knows about that). 

I do wonder how much fame the whole "saving the world" thing actually brings with no television to plaster their faces in front of the populace for multiple news cycles.  While I am imagine most ponies know about Nightmare Moon returning, I imagine the vast majority would say "Oh, I remember reading about that... Was that you?" if confronted with one of the Mane Five.  Gladmane recognized AJ and Fluttershy (I can talk about that now, right?), but then he seemed to claim that he took a special interest in Friendship (which maybe he did so as to better be able to exploit it?  It is interesting knowing he wasn't an overly big believer in the practice.)

9 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

I think I would likely switch them back to having Dash above AJ...  I get the Blue Angels analogy, but with the ponies they actually *are* the planes, so to speak, and not just the pilots.  I think they would be much more recognizable, especially if they're the best in the world at flying... At least in Cloudsdale.  And Fancypants and the upper crust of Canterlot seemed to know them by name from the Derby.

Applejack is from a famous family in a way, but as we've seen it's a huge, sprawling one.  Her personal fame is probably not very high.

I'm curious if they'll ever reference Fluttershy's modeling days again.  If nobody ever recognizes her, I'd say her fleeting flame never got very far despite being a brief sensation.  But if they do bring it up again through another pony remembering that career then I might bounce her up from the bottom of the list.

And I would put Spike above all but Twilight based on the fervor with which the Crystal Ponies treat him.  By sheer number of Crystal Ponies, he probably has the biggest and most devoted fan club so far.  He probably surpasses Twilight in that "excited devotion" category, but she's instantly recognizable by most of Equestria by this point simply by being an Alicorn.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2016 at 0:54 AM, Harwick said:

So what's the order of the Mane Cast in terms of fame, in your estimation?  How do other ponies compare... Say DJ Pon-3, Octavia, other princesses, the two princes, pony pop stars, the other Wonderbolts, Trendermane...?

I think that MLP isn't very good at delivering this sort of information, mostly because the characters'fame seem to fluctuate wildly with the necessity of the plot. Though I think this is getting less random with later seasons.

I get the feeling that the Princesses are kinda like celebrities. Ponies don't really think about them unless it's very relevant to the situation. Really not something I'd expect with those that are supposed to be the rulers/guardians of Equestria. So i think that the Mane Six and princesses are kinda famous and will be recognized, but that doesn't really matter unless the ponies aren't worried about something else. For example... Spike seems to be more famous than all of them in the Crystal Empire and gryphons, yaks don't give a damn about them.

I think it's an artifact of how the cartoon works. If it was up to me, ponies would be stopping everything and paying all their attention as soon as a princess or one of the Mane Six are spotted nearby. Octavia, DJ Pon3, Shining Armor, Blueblood, wonderbolts... I don't know enough to make an educated guess.