StarlightGlimmer

What are your thoughts on Starlight Glimmer and Trixie

10 minutes ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

I'd rather have Starlight be Twilight Sparkle 2.0 than everything being the same. The Mane 6 need to change in someway like they aren't the main focus all the time.

:smugtrixie:

On 9/17/2016 at 3:39 PM, Skyrazer said:

Trixie is an egotistic showboat with no redeeming characteristics aside from being able to feel petty for her every time she fails. The only reason I can think of for someone liking her is their need of a dominant female figure in their life.

Actually I like her as a character because she's so well-done in terms of her over-the-topness. She's supposed to be someone whose ego grates on you, and she's remarkably good at doing that. Not every character has to be "likeable" in the sense that you would like to hang out with them. Sometimes a character is likeable in that they're well-done in their role. For me, Trixie fits that bill. Would I want to be around Trixie IRL? Nope. Do I think her character adds some interest and texture to the show? Yep.

On 9/17/2016 at 3:39 PM, Skyrazer said:

Starlight on the other hand is a wonderful example of a perfectly good villain being absolutely destroyed via "Reformation". She made a great cult leader in the S6 premiere but since then she's gone so downhill I can't even fathom it. Her motives are weak, her backstory is pathetic, her reformation was abysmal, she's needlessly overpowered for the sake of making her relevant, the show has tried too hard to make her likable, every episode and story arc since the first episode of the S6 finale she's been in has been horribly rushed and the few redeeming characteristics she's had so far have been petty, meme faces and sarcasm.

I disagree (except on the perfectly good villain part). First of all she's had very few appearances by which to judge her yet: a 2-part premiere, a regular episode, and a story-within-a-story episode. That's not much to go by, but what we've seen has been pretty consistent. What we're seeing in this season is her struggle to fit into a new path that's entirely the opposite of how she's lived before, to redefine herself outside of her past.

In The Crystaling she had one of her built-up delusions blown away. In No Second Prances she's both struggled to succeed at making friends AND found out that her existing friends aren't always right. A Hearth's Warming Tail was not so much a Glimmer episode as a Glimmer-Allegory so it didn't really expose us to much about her as a character that wasn't already known from the previous season, which really just provides some contrast between where she was and where she wants to be.

So I haven't seen a reason to write her off as a character yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABronyAccount said:

Actually I like her as a character because she's so well-done in terms of her over-the-topness. She's supposed to be someone whose ego grates on you, and she's remarkably good at doing that. Not every character has to be "likeable" in the sense that you would like to hang out with them. Sometimes a character is likeable in that they're well-done in their role. For me, Trixie fits that bill. Would I want to be around Trixie IRL? Nope. Do I think her character adds some interest and texture to the show? Yep.

I disagree (except on the perfectly good villain part). First of all she's had very few appearances by which to judge her yet: a 2-part premiere, a regular episode, and a story-within-a-story episode. That's not much to go by, but what we've seen has been pretty consistent. What we're seeing in this season is her struggle to fit into a new path that's entirely the opposite of how she's lived before, to redefine herself outside of her past.

In The Crystaling she had one of her built-up delusions blown away. In No Second Prances she's both struggled to succeed at making friends AND found out that her existing friends aren't always right. A Hearth's Warming Tail was not so much a Glimmer episode as a Glimmer-Allegory so it didn't really expose us to much about her as a character that wasn't already known from the previous season, which really just provides some contrast between where she was and where she wants to be.

So I haven't seen a reason to write her off as a character yet.

I agree with all of what you have to say

5 hours ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

I agree with all of what you have to say

As expected Miss Glimmer. ;) To put it shortly they are definitely to be admired for their resolve, not only when they were on the "Bad" side, but also for their determination to make things right and to be accepted the honest way.

10 hours ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

I'd rather have Starlight be Twilight Sparkle 2.0 than everything being the same. The Mane 6 need to change in someway like they aren't the main focus all the time.

What do you mean? Do you mean to say that the cartoon has exhausted what it can do with the Mane Six?

Or do you just want to see Starlight Glimmer shining? Because she doesn't need to steal the Mane Six's thunder to do that.

3 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

What do you mean? Do you mean to say that the cartoon has exhausted what it can do with the Mane Six?

Or do you just want to see Starlight Glimmer shining? Because she doesn't need to steal the Mane Six's thunder to do that.

I'd say that cartoon exhausted what it can do with the Mane 6. We know they always win, they need too kinda 'Step down' from the main focus. I know they probably do have plans for them, but I'd say they are getting old. I would like to see a new set shine. Perhaps the one I mentioned on one of the other pages.

I loved Starlight Glimmer when she was the villain at the start and end of Season 5, she was the perfect type of insane.

However her "good guy" portrayal in season 6 is horrible, she just isn't strong enough of a character to support being a "friend" or sidekick or whatever you want to label her as.
She was clearly designed of being bad, so when the choice was made to put her in as not evil, she just had nothing new to bring to the table.

It was a horrible mistake, I am not sure if it was because Hasbro wanted to sell toys of her or what, but I really hope she leaves at the end of this season and doesn't come back.

14 hours ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

I'd say that cartoon exhausted what it can do with the Mane 6. We know they always win, they need too kinda 'Step down' from the main focus. I know they probably do have plans for them, but I'd say they are getting old. I would like to see a new set shine. Perhaps the one I mentioned on one of the other pages.

That might end up being the case once they have released the movie for next year, perhaps sooner.

Trixie's my favorite character from FIM and third overall for the franchise. I think she got screwed in Boast Busters and overall a pretty raw deal. She's done less damage while under the mind-control/corruption of the Alicorn Amulet than several members of the Mane Six without that excuse, and it pisses me off.

Starlight? She was fine as a villain... then came the Cutie Re-Mark, or "How to turn someone into a Karma Houdini". To say I find her backstory pathetic and lame is ye old water is wet metaphor. Starlight? I've lost friends, too. Just about everyone has. And you go out, found pony-Jonestown and almost break the fucking timeline! Lock her up, take away her magic and throw away the damned key. instead... personal student of Twilight Sparkle, that rage-inducing montage, she gets her friend back,and as we see at the beginning of No Second Prances, she's still a jackass!

I hate her. Almost as much as I hate Discord at this point.

5 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Trixie's my favorite character from FIM and third overall for the franchise. I think she got screwed in Boast Busters and overall a pretty raw deal. She's done less damage while under the mind-control/corruption of the Alicorn Amulet than several members of the Mane Six without that excuse, and it pisses me off.

Starlight? She was fine as a villain... then came the Cutie Re-Mark, or "How to turn someone into a Karma Houdini". To say I find her backstory pathetic and lame is ye old water is wet metaphor. Starlight? I've lost friends, too. Just about everyone has. And you go out, found pony-Jonestown and almost break the fucking timeline! Lock her up, take away her magic and throw away the damned key. instead... personal student of Twilight Sparkle, that rage-inducing montage, she gets her friend back,and as we see at the beginning of No Second Prances, she's still a jackass!

I hate her. Almost as much as I hate Discord at this point.

I wish she stayed the villain. As much as I like her being a protagonist, she suits the villain better.

On 19/9/2016 at 5:09 PM, Jack Pipsam said:

I loved Starlight Glimmer when she was the villain at the start and end of Season 5, she was the perfect type of insane.

However her "good guy" portrayal in season 6 is horrible, she just isn't strong enough of a character to support being a "friend" or sidekick or whatever you want to label her as.
She was clearly designed of being bad, so when the choice was made to put her in as not evil, she just had nothing new to bring to the table.

It was a horrible mistake, I am not sure if it was because Hasbro wanted to sell toys of her or what, but I really hope she leaves at the end of this season and doesn't come back.

I personally always liked Starlight, villain or good, so I hope they keep her around. 

Oh, and I actually read somewhere that the writers wanted Starlight to became good, not Hasbro. But maybe I'm wrong. 

Trixie is fun now and then, and I do like her friendship with Starlight.  Starlight I like when she's got someone to play off of.  I don't think she's a strong character on her own, but give her a foil like Sunburst or Trixie, and it works well. 

I do think Starlight should not have moved to Ponyville.  Her absence in episodes is really odd with that being her new home.  I think they should have had her live in her own town, trying to improve things there.  No episode this season with her would have required more than the most minor of change to the opening of the episode to have Starlight come to visit. 

25 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Trixie is fun now and then, and I do like her friendship with Starlight.  Starlight I like when she's got someone to play off of.  I don't think she's a strong character on her own, but give her a foil like Sunburst or Trixie, and it works well. 

I do think Starlight should not have moved to Ponyville.  Her absence in episodes is really odd with that being her new home.  I think they should have had her live in her own town, trying to improve things there.  No episode this season with her would have required more than the most minor of change to the opening of the episode to have Starlight come to visit. 

Perhaps she is doing friendship lessons? I think we need to see an explanation of why she is absent in some episodes.

27 minutes ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

Perhaps she is doing friendship lessons? I think we need to see an explanation of why she is absent in some episodes.

Well that's why I think she should have been written from the start as living back in her own town, trying to repair relationships with the ponies there while learning by mail or visit. 

After all, Twilight corresponded with Celestia that way. 

On 9/20/2016 at 6:07 PM, The Doctor said:

Going ahead an putting a big giant asterisk on this post after seeing the preview for Saturday's episode.  Context might clear things up and not make it look like Starlight needs to have her horn cut off and be banished from Equestria.

LkDVxdC.png

15 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Going ahead an putting a big giant asterisk on this post after seeing the preview for Saturday's episode.  Context might clear things up and not make it look like Starlight needs to have her horn cut off and be banished from Equestria.

LkDVxdC.png

Where is the preview?

Starlight is like, the opposite of Sunset. She was a fantastic villain that was utterly destroyed in the Cutie Remark, between her laughably bad motive/backstory, terrible redemption and that insulting montage of everything handed to her on a silver platter. And the show has done a terrible job of getting people to care about her with her being completely absent for most of the show and barely doing anything not involving Twilight. The preview for Every Little Thing She Does really doesn't do her any favors either. And this is the character we're supposed to root for in the finale!

And Trixie 

don't about her 

Screw her

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Megas75 said:

Starlight is like, the opposite of Sunset. She was a fantastic villain that was utterly destroyed in the Cutie Remark, between her laughably bad motive/backstory, terrible redemption and that insulting montage of everything handed to her on a silver platter. And the show has done a terrible job of getting people to care about her with her being completely absent for most of the show and barely doing anything not involving Twilight. The preview for Every Little Thing She Does really doesn't do her any favors either. And this is the character we're supposed to root for in the finale!

On the one hand, I wouldn't mind had Starlight stayed a villain. It would have been nice to have given Twilight a sort of Moriarty to her Sherlock Holmes. 

One the other hand, I also wouldn't mind Starlight not being a villain anymore.. at least I wouldn't if the writers weren't keen in blowing every opportunity in developing her character. From her weak backstory, to solving the issue with her former cult in literally five seconds (which was the most offensive part of that montage), to putting her only half-decent story in a book, to this episode, which should have been done earlier this season, not later when Starlight by this point should know better. The Siege Of The Crystal Empire arc from the comics is the only other story from this franchise I can think of that reaches this level of poor writing.

6 hours ago, WaterPulse said:

On the one hand, I wouldn't mind had Starlight stayed a villain. It would have been nice to have given Twilight a sort of Moriarty to her Sherlock Holmes. 

One the other hand, I also wouldn't mind Starlight not being a villain anymore.. at least I wouldn't if the writers weren't keen in blowing every opportunity in developing her character. From her weak backstory, to solving the issue with her former cult in literally five seconds (which was the most offensive part of that montage), to putting her only half-decent story in a book, to this episode, which should have been done earlier this season, not later when Starlight by this point should know better. The Siege Of The Crystal Empire arc from the comics is the only other story from this franchise I can think of that reaches this level of poor writing.

I'd say she should have had a longer more thought out transition. Like she would gradually reform over several episodes and we could see parts of her backstory we didn't see in flashbacks or something. I would have preferred her to have more appearances in episodes so we can see her develop more.

There is also another issue I have with her: Those unexplained vanishes, like how she is in one episode and not in the next.

Trixie is 100% fine in my view, shes a good character.

On 9/19/2016 at 8:09 AM, Jack Pipsam said:

Quite the hit but to each their own, I think they just need to define her a little more. Hence the upcoming 2017 movie....