StarlightGlimmer

What are your thoughts on Starlight Glimmer and Trixie

3 hours ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

What if she didn't reform and never time traveled?

Seems like she would have a bit of a recurring role much like Ms. Lulamoon. 

What if she actually took over? Would the end of equestria really result?

Most likely not. Unless you mean like an alternate timeline back in their match.

I mean the latter

Possibly then. Not something that would remain permanent but it's a possibility.

What would she do with all that power?

Rule over Equestria in an equality like-way if she remained the way she had been when ruling that small town of hers.

What if there was a rebellion or something?

A fifty-fifty chance of succeeding, due to it being an alternate timeline it's not very relevant if it's successful or not. 

By the end of 'Every Little Thing she Does', I kinda wanted Starlight to die. I hate her. I loathe her. I find her to be odious and disgusting.

"Don't hold back, Striker!" :P

Well, yeah. Basically, fuck her. I've had it with her, I've had it with her basically being the poster child for 'Karma Houdini'.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Galacter said:

Let's let it progress first before the judgment becomes out of hand.

I will, but only out of obligation by this point. While I don't share Striker's... enthusiasm for wanting to see Starlight be stuffed in a woodchipper Fargo style, I can't really do much to not sympathize with those who feel the same way. The way the season has played out so far, the means of driving this character from "insufferable douche-canoe" to "remotely likable" are, at least IMO, insanely limited and, I know ABronyAccount and The Doctor have disagreed with me, but I can't see the writers having the skills to go down said paths, either with the season finale or in later seasons.

5 hours ago, WaterPulse said:

I will, but only out of obligation by this point. While I don't share Striker's... enthusiasm for wanting to see Starlight be stuffed in a woodchipper Fargo style, I can't really do much to not sympathize with those who feel the same way. The way the season has played out so far, the means of driving this character from "insufferable douche-canoe" to "remotely likable" are, at least IMO, insanely limited and, I know ABronyAccount and The Doctor have disagreed with me, but I can't see the writers having the skills to go down said paths, either with the season finale or in later seasons.

I won't disagree that it seemed quite sudden to go from "Villainess" to "Mane Hero" but for the time being I believe they're on the straight and narrow. For now being the two key words here. ;)

On 9/26/2016 at 5:44 PM, StarlightGlimmer said:

How would you re do her as a villain?

Plan out her redemption arc better.  Don't rush it in a 30 second song at the end of the season finale.  Discord's been slowly working on becoming a better pony, but Starlight doesn't seem to care.  She sees friend as something she HAS to have.  She doesn't seem to really want friends.  It's just an assignment to her.   It feels like she's just been shoehorned into episodes, and that the writers didn't want to take the time to actually develop her as a character. 

Look, that S5 finale song was in case Season 6 didn't happen so Starlight would have some closure. The show staff have admitted they try to make sure every season finale can work as a series finale (because they rarely know when writing the finale if another season is happening). I actually have been growing fonder of Starlight with her every appearance this season. Even in light of her most recent screw-up. I'm not surprised the ex-villain who was known for manipulation would reach for the mind-control magic. (She was not aiming to make them zombies, just make them listen to her. It's clear the combination spell was way more powerful than intended.) That seems to be one of Starlight's main coping mechanisms, to make the problem go away with magic. When Sunburst left she seems to have closed herself off to everyone else and in Our Town everyone went along with what she wanted. She seems to genuinely not understand how to deal with conflict. (And since this episode revealed she'd been actively avoiding her friendship lessons, it kind of explains why we've not seen much of her. She'd been studying magic and not much else.)

• Like 1

On 9/27/2016 at 6:12 PM, WaterPulse said:

Oh, please. i don't wanna feed her into a woodchipper!

That's too quick! :P

I kid, I kid... sorta. In all seriousness, Starlight has almost entirely blown her opportunities for me to buy her becoming a hero and/or even being a good person in any sort of organic or natural way. I don't give a damn what the writers tell me. Although to be kinda fair, I've never given a damn what any sort of people in charge have 'told' me how I'm supposed to feel about fictional characters. I take it how I see it. And right now, I see Starlight as someone who's paying the barest lip service to morality or even decency.

3 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Plan out her redemption arc better.  Don't rush it in a 30 second song at the end of the season finale.  Discord's been slowly working on becoming a better pony, but Starlight doesn't seem to care.  She sees friend as something she HAS to have.  She doesn't seem to really want friends.  It's just an assignment to her.   It feels like she's just been shoehorned into episodes, and that the writers didn't want to take the time to actually develop her as a character. 

The writers need to plan stuff out and develop the show better

• Like 1

To be frank, this could be about the show in general since around Season 3. It's only until now that I think this issue has been catching up to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

The writers need to plan stuff out and develop the show better

37 minutes ago, WaterPulse said:

To be frank, this could be about the show in general since around Season 3. It's only until now that I think this issue has been catching up to them.

I'll third this.

10 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Oh, please. i don't wanna feed her into a woodchipper!

That's too quick! :P

I kid, I kid... sorta. In all seriousness, Starlight has almost entirely blown her opportunities for me to buy her becoming a hero and/or even being a good person in any sort of organic or natural way. I don't give a damn what the writers tell me. Although to be kinda fair, I've never given a damn what any sort of people in charge have 'told' me how I'm supposed to feel about fictional characters. I take it how I see it. And right now, I see Starlight as someone who's paying the barest lip service to morality or even decency.

1. I'd disagree with you about a woodchipper being too fast, but then I remembered the scene in LIcence To Kill where Benicio del Toro's character was tossed in a similar device and was turned into a powdery paste in 10 seconds tops. :D

2. While the finale has yet to air, let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the writers blew it. I think the ultimate failure, as many have pointed out by now, is that Starlight hasn't really learned anything. In a story like this, in order for her change to work, there has to be a point where the character has to come to grips of what he/she has done. Look at, say, the first Toy Story movie. The actions of the movie revolve around Woody's jealousy of Buzz seemingly being the center of attention of his fellow toys and their owner, Andy. The turning point for Woody's character comes when the two are trapped in Sid's room the night before Sid plans to blow up Buzz with a rocket. It's here where Woody realizes that his actions have ticked off his friends, led to the possibility that the two will never see Andy again and that his desire to see Buzz taken down a peg has left Buzz, a toy who had done no harm to anyone, an emotional wreck at the worst possible moment. It's this point where Woody stops seeing Buzz as a means to reunite with Andy and regain the favor of his fellow toys and starts seeing him as a friend and, for the rest of the movie, does what he can to get the two back home.

I know this is an unfair comparison, but Starlight Glimmer's arc is nowhere near as well structured or satisfying as the plot of Toy Story. Not even close. The writer's may have given Starlight a fear of rejection, along with a manipulative impulse to get what she wants, but, for the direction they want to take, they haven't made her face the consequences of her past actions, her "Buzz strapped to a rocket" moment, if you will. There may have been moments that could have led to this, but the writers have yet to fully commit to it. The only way I can see Starlight's role in the season finale work is if the plot has her go to this moment in, as Striker put it, a natural way and the way it's gone so far, the writers have painted themselves into a corner to the point where, unless they realized this and fixed it when they were working on this season finale, then this risk they took would be a failure, even if the show goes on and Starlight becomes the nicest pony in Ponyville (assuming the writers keep her as a recurring character).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WaterPulse said:

1. I'd disagree with you about a woodchipper being too fast, but then I remembered the scene in LIcence To Kill where Benicio del Toro's character was tossed in a similar device and was turned into a powdery paste in 10 seconds tops. :D

2. While the finale has yet to air, let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the writers blew it. I think the ultimate failure, as many have pointed out by now, is that Starlight hasn't really learned anything. In a story like this, in order for her change to work, there has to be a point where the character has to come to grips of what he/she has done. Look at, say, the first Toy Story movie. The actions of the movie revolve around Woody's jealousy of Buzz seemingly being the center of attention of his fellow toys and their owner, Andy. The turning point for Woody's character comes when the two are trapped in Sid's room the night before Sid plans to blow up Buzz with a rocket. It's here where Woody realizes that his actions have ticked off his friends, led to the possibility that the two will never see Andy again and that his desire to see Buzz taken down a peg has left Buzz, a toy who had done no harm to anyone, an emotional wreck at the worst possible moment. It's this point where Woody stops seeing Buzz as a means to reunite with Andy and regain the favor of his fellow toys and starts seeing him as a friend and, for the rest of the movie, does what he can to get the two back home.

I know this is an unfair comparison, but Starlight Glimmer's arc is nowhere near as well structured or satisfying as the plot of Toy Story. Not even close. The writer's may have given Starlight a fear of rejection, along with a manipulative impulse to get what she wants, but, for the direction they want to take, they haven't made her face the consequences of her past actions, her "Buzz strapped to a rocket" moment, if you will. There may have been moments that could have led to this, but the writers have yet to fully commit to it. The only way I can see Starlight's role in the season finale work is if the plot has her go to this moment in, as Striker put it, a natural way and the way it's gone so far, the writers have painted themselves into a corner to the point where, unless they realized this and fixed it when they were working on this season finale, then this risk they took would be a failure, even if the show goes on and Starlight becomes the nicest pony in Ponyville (assuming the writers keep her as a recurring character).

I don't think that's an unfair comparison to make. Not one damned bit. Hell, the fact that a two-hour movie managed to have the character arc be much better structured than Starlight's over... god, what, two fucking seasons?! Remember. She debuted in the season-five premiere.

As for consequences, god no. You're right. I mean, at the end of the Cutie re-Mark. Everyone forgave her. including, most damning if all for her arc, the residents of Our Town. She's pretty much gotten away with everything scott-free. Guilt doesn't cut it, what little she may or may not feel, considering how callous/thoughtless we've seen her with her magic.

I think the final, irrecoverable straw for me, though, is Every Little Thing She does. I've pretty much had it with her. I've had it with the half-assed attempt to sell her/cram her down my proverbial throat.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2016 at 1:17 PM, The Doctor said:

While I somewhat agree about the shoehorned part, I feel the opposite has also occurred. I can see a couple of episodes where its concept would have been more interesting had Starlight been the focus. For example, the moral of adults not listening in "The Cart Before The Ponies". Instead of Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Rarity interacting with the Cutie Mark Crusaders with a go-cart race, why not have, say, Starlight interact with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon with a tea/birthday party while their parents are away? Just transfer Rarity's ruined childhood motive to losing a design competition with Starlight's first tea/birthday party without Sunburst and, being that Starlight is essentially a selfish manchild, uses that as an excuse to try and fix that ruined moment, only to have it blow up in her face and upset Tiara and Spoon. After a while of denial, Starlight realizes she messed up big time, sees that they're as sad as she was all those years ago, and tries to make it up to the two. It would give Starlight some development in empathy and put Tiara and Spoon in a different spin, with them being the straight men (er, ponies) dealing with a jackass this time.

Then again, maybe it's me being irked about there not being a Starlight/Diamond Tiara/Silver Spoon episode.

• Like 1