Lunar Holiday

What would you guys think of a small Minecraft server? (No, wait! Come back!)

A Server poll!  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a small, vanilla Minecraft server would be cool?

• Heck yeah!
    • Only if dedicated, you handsome devil!
    • If it has server protections on, then yes!
    • If it is only PURE vanilla, then yes!
    • Only if I can lock down all of my belongings!
    • No! (But you're still such a wonderful person, Lunar!)

So, I was ruminating on my past actions and thought processes in my usual corner and I thought of something,

"What if there was a minecraft server up in here!?"

Now, now, hear me out: what I'm picturing is just a (mostly) vanilla server where everyone here can just have a little bit of fun!

You know, instead of the usual HUGE mini-games and PvP-Faction-Mech-Wars it's just a few people making a little hole in the ground.

It'd be nice to see friends spazzing out in the chat because I accidentally blew up my basement again!

Here you have David, building the town an excellent water fountain, and over there you've got Marky, labouring in the mines to get material for an expedition to The Crevice, and last but not least, we have Marry! Dumping her bodies into said crevice!

I don't really have any ideas, but I thought I would just be a neat little thing!

So, what do you guys think? Do you guys think it would be cool? Because I certainly do!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

I'm fine with this and would play, but where would it be hosted and what version?
(i.e. If you're hosting it, where are you located generally?)

I'd guess that it would be held on the latest version, just for convenience and all, but where it would be hosted?

I have no idea!

Evolve comes to mind as a platform for everyone to connect to the server on, but then everyone has to download the client, set up an account, etc.

Besides, holding a dedicated server would be a tad scary, since playing on the server would be more like a friday night D&D session rather than one continuous game!

As for physical location, I'm usually on the west coast here in the US, but for now I think that's the least of the complications!

Discussions about this have been had multiple times over in the FiG Discord. While we do have someone who can host a Minecraft server for the US, there's some things that are up in the air. There should be a thread about that some time soon to test the waters for what games people want to possibly have servers for and if enough people are interested some servers can be set up.

1 minute ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

Fair enough. I need something to kill time in that isn't Elder Scrolls Online.

You can say that again, I'm running out of things to do in Skyrim .-.

Well, I'm thoroughly excited to see what pops up!

Although, I always was more of a PvE kinda guy, so I hope it's something close to that : P

I love to know what people are thinking of it! 

I'm stupidly impatient for things, so expect much of me plotting and scheming!

I think one of the servers I frequented is starting to sputter out. It was a sort of quasi Nation RP/Faction fantasy RP server. Or at least the Skype chat I was in for it lost the admin when he decided to quit with someone. To replace it I was considering opening up my own server like it, but with a clean slate and unfucked rules.

Of course if I was to do it then I would make a dedicated server which costs money. I would need to talk to a friend of mine to see what sort of service he used for his own private family and friends server. 

1 minute ago, AaronMk said:

I think one of the servers I frequented is starting to sputter out. It was a sort of quasi Nation RP/Faction fantasy RP server. Or at least the Skype chat I was in for it lost the admin when he decided to quit with someone. To replace it I was considering opening up my own server like it, but with a clean slate and unfucked rules.

Of course if I was to do it then I would make a dedicated server which costs money. I would need to talk to a friend of mine to see what sort of service he used for his own private family and friends server. 

Yeah, that's gonna be one prominent hurdle, the dedicated server!

Unless, of course, someone hooks up a commodore onto life support and tells it kind words so it may be the most dedicated server out there!

Even if there was a dedicated server, I tend go on and offline really sporadically so I might not even be able to play as much as I'd like  :applebelch:

Dedicated servers really aren't all that expensive. I'm getting more hardware than I need for $40/month and running 3 TF2 servers and 3 or 4 mumble servers off that.

But I must get everything dirt. Cheap.

No, but really, that sounds pretty impressive! For me, though, there's always still the setup.

may have made a little bare-bones bukkit server out of impatience that greets everyone with a tiny message involving The Family, but that's the best I could do!

(That and some silly messages to make sure no one feels like they're being put through a meat grinder just like everyone else)

I've even put in some minor plugins and stripped (more like hid) them of all but their minimum commands,  to help maximize !!Fun!!

The only commands left are something alongs the lines of: tp, home, and a kit that gives you one block of dirt that you can use once every two years

Though, I did this to only really preoccupy myself and to see what kinds of things that, I as a person, felt made certain servers a little mechanical so that I may fix them

And, it works! No one's joined it but me, but it works!

In theory, it's my ideal server! Apart from that horrifying red font I get from opping myself and the social isolation, it would seem pretty good place for a town!

I even kept re-rolling my world to get a flat-ish area with interesting terrain to the distance, encompassed by those classic old oak trees!

Seriously, if anyone just wants a crappy server-to-go I'll send it to ya!

4 minutes ago, Galacter said:

Always wanted to try it but never got around to it, I did get the substitute in one Terraria though. Does that count?

So long as you had the fun, friend, it counts! Very much so!

3 hours ago, Lunar Holiday said:

So long as you had the fun, friend, it counts! Very much so!

Verily. The mechanical monsters are my favorite boss monsters to beat, probably because of my connection to technology.

Just now, Galacter said:

Verily. The mechanical monsters are my favorite boss monsters to beat, probably because of my connection to technology.

Personally, I love the blood moons and goblin sieges since it's like a nice little gang war!

3 hours ago, Lunar Holiday said:

Personally, I love the blood moons and goblin sieges since it's like a nice little gang war!

I am also excited about the holiday events as well. They bring so many together as you lay waste to holiday horrors. ;)

2 minutes ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

The new bosses they added on expert mode. They're crazy, but fun.

1 minute ago, Galacter said:

I am also excited about the holiday events as well. They bring so many together as you lay waste to holiday horrors. ;)

Man! Now all this make me want to try out the new update again!

1 hour ago, Steamworks said:

Dedicated servers really aren't all that expensive. I'm getting more hardware than I need for $40/month and running 3 TF2 servers and 3 or 4 mumble servers off that.

The service my friend was using wasn't very much, and a thirty-person server is probably more than enough for everyone here. I think it was about around there but I'll need to check.

The thing is I got my hours cut way back and what days I work are so all-over it's difficult to grab a second job to make up for it. I can maybe work it in if it's low enough, or pan handle.

30 person from NFO (which isn't the cheapest option) is $19/month. If you can handle Linux, you can get a VDS with 3 CPU cores and 3GB of RAM (aka should clear 30 players on MC) and have total control over the whole thing for $24/month.

44 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

The service my friend was using wasn't very much, and a thirty-person server is probably more than enough for everyone here. I think it was about around there but I'll need to check.

The thing is I got my hours cut way back and what days I work are so all-over it's difficult to grab a second job to make up for it. I can maybe work it in if it's low enough, or pan handle.

"Pan-handle 4 pones! You give us cash, we'll have a blast!"

40 minutes ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

I'm barely making it as it is and I have college to worry about. I have good enough hardware, but my dl/ul speeds are far less than adequate.

God, yeah! Or maybe just get yourself a new "school project" :rdwink:

PS. Lunar does not condone the stealing of the local college's connection veins 

40 minutes ago, Steamworks said:

30 person from NFO (which isn't the cheapest option) is $19/month. If you can handle Linux, you can get a VDS with 3 CPU cores and 3GB of RAM (aka should clear 30 players on MC) and have total control over the whole thing for $24/month.

Okay, that sounds pretty alright! Although the mystic force "Linux" is unbeknownst to one as simple as I

38 minutes ago, Galacter said:

Careful planning and wise choices solve all, it will come in time. :D

One can only hope! But fun will come out on top as well, I can just feel it!