Lunar Holiday

What would you guys think of a small Minecraft server? (No, wait! Come back!)

A Server poll!  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a small, vanilla Minecraft server would be cool?

• Heck yeah!
    • Only if dedicated, you handsome devil!
    • If it has server protections on, then yes!
    • If it is only PURE vanilla, then yes!
    • Only if I can lock down all of my belongings!
    • No! (But you're still such a wonderful person, Lunar!)

The $19 price point doesn't require any OS knowledge. You pretty much just do everything through a control panel on the NFO site.

Technically I have enough junk lying around from old builds to muster up a pretty decent server, Dual core CPU with 4-6GB RAM that can run 24/7. Internet isn't bad either, it's 65mbps and the dl/ul speeds are in the 6mb/s / 4mb/s range. However I'm in the EU and shipping out to college in 1 week, so I won't be able to keep one up.

4 minutes ago, Skyrazer said:

Technically I have enough junk lying around from old builds to muster up a pretty decent server, Dual core CPU with 4-6GB RAM that can run 24/7. Internet isn't bad either, it's 65mbps and the dl/ul speeds are in the 6mb/s / 4mb/s range. However I'm in the EU and shipping out to college in 1 week, so I won't be able to keep one up.

I had already found out the answer at "EU"

(Oh god what have I done?)

2 minutes ago, Lunar Holiday said:

I had already known the answer at "EU"

Well, ideally you want a host that's in the UK. It's the middle ground where both the people on the East Coast and the ones in the EU have decent ping.

2 minutes ago, Skyrazer said:

Well, ideally you want a host that's in the UK. It's the middle ground where both the people on the East Coast and the ones in the EU have decent ping.

Hey, that's not a bad idea! Not one bit!

Now, if only they could get to work on a secret international server room built into an ancient oil rig...

I was talking to a friend of mine about how I would set up a Minecraft server and this is what it'd be like, if anyone's interested:

Setting up the server I'll probably set it up as a strictly private server so the ground-work in it can be laid out. Like building a tutorial village/island/town or whatever to serve as a common safe-space and central point in the server for everyone. A location for people to get their bearings and learn a thing or two since this'll be an RP server. After, this first generation - with the blessings of the abilities to work in survival and creative however they will - will scatter about the server. Preferably after some nice, long travel to start building a big world we'll settle down and start work on other cities. National capitals for the future to come.

Either during initial construction or late into I'll open it up to the public and to here and elsewhere. By this point anyone who "joins" will pledge themselves to any of the handful of now existing (on paper, at least) nations and can build their own homes, towns, villages, castles, forts or cities spreading out from the capital. Future borders will be drawn when shit starts getting close based on the middle-point between nearby settlements or the nearest naturally generated features (mountains, shore-lines, rivers, streams).

The expeditionary force that sets this up would act as local lore-masters and sorts to keep an organized theme or concept going. But at any time anyone can split off and build new "nations" in the frontier. These would invariably represent newer or less developed entities and I won't be extending survival privileges to these persons (at least not immediately). I will however let anyone else join between them.

At some advanced stage I could perhaps even launch a Wiki to; as I told my friend, "to record our autism if we want". This is only fitting I think from an RP perspective to keep trivia and themes in one spot in the event something breaks server or game side and we loose stuff. And between my friend and I we were involved in a couple projects similar.

If I ever get into mods, I'll probably want to keep it simple. I don't want to overboard it with crazy things. I'll probably toss in a plug-in for a dynamic map if not already available at least. And maybe something that makes big sailing ships if that won't lag the game/server (one of the projects my friend and I were involved in included plug-ins to make airships but those were terrible and they murdered the latency/frame-rate.

What's good to me is my friend has said he'd be interested in dampening the coast. Now I need to corner my other buddy and grill him on what server provider he used to run his own for a while.

5 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

I was talking to a friend of mine about how I would set up a Minecraft server and this is what it'd be like, if anyone's interested:

Setting up the server I'll probably set it up as a strictly private server so the ground-work in it can be laid out. Like building a tutorial village/island/town or whatever to serve as a common safe-space and central point in the server for everyone. A location for people to get their bearings and learn a thing or two since this'll be an RP server. After, this first generation - with the blessings of the abilities to work in survival and creative however they will - will scatter about the server. Preferably after some nice, long travel to start building a big world we'll settle down and start work on other cities. National capitals for the future to come.

Either during initial construction or late into I'll open it up to the public and to here and elsewhere. By this point anyone who "joins" will pledge themselves to any of the handful of now existing (on paper, at least) nations and can build their own homes, towns, villages, castles, forts or cities spreading out from the capital. Future borders will be drawn when shit starts getting close based on the middle-point between nearby settlements or the nearest naturally generated features (mountains, shore-lines, rivers, streams).

The expeditionary force that sets this up would act as local lore-masters and sorts to keep an organized theme or concept going. But at any time anyone can split off and build new "nations" in the frontier. These would invariably represent newer or less developed entities and I won't be extending survival privileges to these persons (at least not immediately). I will however let anyone else join between them.

At some advanced stage I could perhaps even launch a Wiki to; as I told my friend, "to record our autism if we want". This is only fitting I think from an RP perspective to keep trivia and themes in one spot in the event something breaks server or game side and we loose stuff. And between my friend and I we were involved in a couple projects similar.

If I ever get into mods, I'll probably want to keep it simple. I don't want to overboard it with crazy things. I'll probably toss in a plug-in for a dynamic map if not already available at least. And maybe something that makes big sailing ships if that won't lag the game/server (one of the projects my friend and I were involved in included plug-ins to make airships but those were terrible and they murdered the latency/frame-rate.

What's good to me is my friend has said he'd be interested in dampening the coast. Now I need to corner my other buddy and grill him on what server provider he used to run his own for a while.

Now that sounds like quite the adverture-y server! Definitely something I'd want to try out at the very, very least!

Just now, Lunar Holiday said:

Now that sounds like quite the adverture-y server! Definitely something I'd want to try out at the very, very least!

Well you'll have to wait until I not only get the world set up, but I also see if I can organize the whole server. I'll need to ask questions and read the literature first.

3 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

Well you'll have to wait until I not only get the world set up, but I also see if I can organize the whole server. I'll need to ask questions and read the literature first.

Yes, I don't expect something such as that to be easy!

Just now, recentteen14 said:

Personally, I'd be interested, but I'd want MCMMO if we do get a server going. Vanilla MC gets too boring too quickly, adding in stats is a good way to keep me around.

Hell, I just want a place to play and relax with The Family!

So I got with my friend for the  host system he used and I'm looking at the plans and prices.

Before I actually do anything though I want to know exactly how many of you are going to actually commit? Before I figure out what'll be the best for the cost and what not and work out how I'm going to keep this afloat I'm going to need if anyone's serious about it before I go ahead.

45 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

So I got with my friend for the  host system he used and I'm looking at the plans and prices.

Before I actually do anything though I want to know exactly how many of you are going to actually commit? Before I figure out what'll be the best for the cost and what not and work out how I'm going to keep this afloat I'm going to need if anyone's serious about it before I go ahead.

Hell, I'm in! Sure, my free time is uh...fluctuating...but I'm certainly in!

Now, what exactly are you asking everyone to commit to, again?

Just now, Lunar Holiday said:

Hell, I'm in! Sure, my free time is uh...fluctuating...but I'm certainly in!

Now, what exactly are you asking everyone to commit to, again?

Whether or not they'll be there. I can downgrade or upgrade accordingly at any time. But knowing how many people will be there to play on it will be a good place for me to start.

1 minute ago, AaronMk said:

Whether or not they'll be there. I can downgrade or upgrade accordingly at any time. But knowing how many people will be there to play on it will be a good place for me to start.

Ah! Then, again, yeeep! Count me in!

It'd be very interesting to see, and I'm sure many here would agree!

But I'm curious, how many people do you think it would take to start all these kingdoms and settlements later down the line?

6 hours ago, AaronMk said:

Count me in. Won't have a ton of free time after next week, but here's always some to waste.

I would love to play modded again, but most people I meet seem to be purists when it comes to Minecraft.

However, I personally feel like there's more to do if you have mods, because the game just overall lasts longer.

... That and I kind of want to use fancy stuff, like decocraft and machines for instance. :3

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ArcticEight said:

I would love to play modded again, but most people I meet seem to be purists when it comes to Minecraft.

However, I personally feel like there's more to do if you have mods, because the game just overall lasts longer.

... That and I kind of want to use fancy stuff, like decocraft and machines for instance. :3

Oh man, I had so much fun with Buildcraft when it first came out! I made so many underground quarries and everything!

2 hours ago, Lunar Holiday said:

Oh man, I had so much fun with Buildcraft when it first came out! I made so many underground quarries and everything!

Pffft. Redpower was where it was at.