InfinityDash

Worried about Brazil airing affecting Netflix viewership?

Maybe I'm just thinking about this too hard, but I'm a little bit worried that when we get Legend of Everfree on Netflix on October 1st, the viewership numbers will be significantly less due to people having already watched the Brazil airing. (That is assuming it airs in English which I've heard it likely will using SAP, and also that someone streams/uploads it, but that's pretty much a given). I know Netflix doesn't release viewership numbers, and I know that the entire point is that you can watch whenever you want, but I feel like many/most people who watch the movie from the Brazil airing will probably not then immediately re-watch the movie on Netflix a week later. Maybe they will further down the line, but not right after it's released.

My concern is that this could affect any future negotiations between Netflix and Hasbro regarding continuing MLP/EqG if things go south with Discovery Family (of course this is all just speculation based on rumor). I mean, I know I'll probably have a hard time waiting until October 1st if there's a nice, HD, English version of the movie waiting for me, a whole week earlier (in just 2 days from now!)... and, just speaking in general, if I own/have the actual video file (of any thing) I tend to watch that instead of streaming it, since it's just less hassle. (Just double click and you're watching, as opposed to having to open up Netflix and then worry about internet connection/streaming quality etc). But I might be fairly unique in doing that.

Anyways, thoughts? Am I being overly concerned here?

Netflix doesn't even make viewership numbers and ratings public, we wouldn't even notice if it happened. We'd just have to ride on the hopes Brazilian Portuguese dubbing is inferior.

That said, Netflix's lack of airing show ratings at all is probably a bigger issue than whether or not its airing elsewhere will effect it. But it's not like Brazil is a huge market, unlike China which could heavily skew the numbers on account of its national girth.

I doubt Netflix really cares about that release, though the fact it's happening is a bit odd. Either way, the one thing that does worry me is the Spoiler tsunami that's going to be brought upon people. I don't really care for spoilers, but there's enough spoilerphobic people who throw a fit because they can't read tags it's ridiculous.

I'm just more worried about it affecting uploads on YouTube like the leaked episode did a while back since i neither have Netflix nor live in the US.

If the Brazilian version is uploaded to YouTube i hope it's in English and not dubbed.

I don't really think it's anything to worry about. I'm sure there will be people that watch the Brazilian airing (assuming it's simulcasted in English), but I'm sure a lot of people will wait for Netflix.

21 hours ago, InfinityDash said:

Maybe I'm just thinking about this too hard, but I'm a little bit worried that when we get Legend of Everfree on Netflix on October 1st, the viewership numbers will be significantly less due to people having already watched the Brazil airing. (That is assuming it airs in English which I've heard it likely will using SAP, and also that someone streams/uploads it, but that's pretty much a given). I know Netflix doesn't release viewership numbers, and I know that the entire point is that you can watch whenever you want, but I feel like many/most people who watch the movie from the Brazil airing will probably not then immediately re-watch the movie on Netflix a week later. Maybe they will further down the line, but not right after it's released.

My concern is that this could affect any future negotiations between Netflix and Hasbro regarding continuing MLP/EqG if things go south with Discovery Family (of course this is all just speculation based on rumor). I mean, I know I'll probably have a hard time waiting until October 1st if there's a nice, HD, English version of the movie waiting for me, a whole week earlier (in just 2 days from now!)... and, just speaking in general, if I own/have the actual video file (of any thing) I tend to watch that instead of streaming it, since it's just less hassle. (Just double click and you're watching, as opposed to having to open up Netflix and then worry about internet connection/streaming quality etc). But I might be fairly unique in doing that.

Anyways, thoughts? Am I being overly concerned here?

To each their own on the thought process but I do not think we anything to fear in the long run, although Hasbro does seem to have gotten.................touchy, with fan base works in the very least.

Let us hope for the best.;)

On 9/23/2016 at 5:01 AM, PinkiePie97 said:

I don't really think it's anything to worry about. I'm sure there will be people that watch the Brazilian airing (assuming it's simulcasted in English), but I'm sure a lot of people will wait for Netflix.

Now that it's aired, I guess we will wait and see (or not... since as stated numerous times Netflix doesn't release viewership numbers). I can say I definitely didn't expect a front page "Watch English Version of Legend of Everfree Online Now On Youtube!" EQD post. EQD has really inconsistent rules regarding copyright... in their new comment rules they specifically state:

14.) Do not post info about sites facilitating downloads of pirated or illegal content. This includes links, torrents, and descriptions of where to download such content. Note: Links to YouTube are acceptable. Links to downloads are not.

Yet on this article they have a direct download link (Google Drive) for the movie... Plus, they always post links to the episode streams, but when an episode leaks (releases early on iTunes or whatever) they barely mention it. Oh well, whatcha gonna do. Plus I understand this is the only option for people who don't have any other way of watching the episodes.

And I guess this is different than a leak, since it was an official Hasbro-sanctioned airing of the movie, broadcast in English on the second audio channel. How could they not expect it to immediately be available all over the internet? I still haven't decided if I'll watch this one or wait a week for Netflix... either way, I'll be sure to at least put it on in the background on Netflix so it will count towards viewership. I'm still a little worried about the show's future since Season 7 hasn't been confirmed while all previous seasons had been confirmed this late into the season before it. And I think if Hasbro/DiscoFam relations fall apart, Netflix is the second best location for MLP. 

Whatever, I worry too much. 

I watched it on equestria daily, it was ok but a lot like the other 2, I dont think it will really affect the viewership because people who want to see it are still going to watch it when it gets released in the USA

On 9/25/2016 at 10:46 PM, crazytwilight said:

I watched it on equestria daily, it was ok but a lot like the other 2, I dont think it will really affect the viewership because people who want to see it are still going to watch it when it gets released in the USA

On Netflix, incidentally.

I held out for Netflix, and so did a lot of others. I hope we see some view numbers for it, but I think it was already showing up under popular stuff as well as new, so it's getting plenty of watches. Pretty nice to have a 4 films conveniently just seconds away.