Dennis Abernathy Harrison

Twitter is for sale

Twitter is for sale  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who should buy Twitter?

• Microsoft
    • Verizon

So Twitter is now going up for sale.

Who should buy it? Microsoft just bidded 30 billion. Honestly, I don't like Microsoft, but I'm hoping they win. I'm afraid Google will kill it. I also don't trust Salesforce or especially Verizon either though, but don't let that sway your vote.

Also, please vote only if you're active on Twitter.

Microsoft for sure, they can make something of it and they're extreme about security matters. They'll do a much better job ensuring no one is hurt be it mental via the internet or physical should things escalate.

• Like 1

Sheesh, Microsoft is stepping up their game. First they acquire mojang, now they want twitter.But in my opinion, Microsoft should definetly purchase twitter, as they know to run things without destroying them. I don't want google, because honestly I'd rather have a repeat of YouTube+.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gragonelite said:

Sheesh, Microsoft is stepping up their game. First they acquire mojang, now they want twitter.But in my opinion, Microsoft should definetly purchase twitter, as they know to run things without destroying them. I don't want google, because honestly I'd rather have a repeat of YouTube+.

Well said little pony. :) Microsoft will ensure safe browsing and chatting on Twitter and that's how it needs to be.

3 hours ago, David Coleman said:

Is that.... sarcasm?

Oh absolutely not. I'm quite serious considering the horror tales I've seen/heard about things getting out of hand (hoof?) on Twitter.

• Like 1

Ok. Just wondering.

I agree. That just brought up another point on why Google shouldn't get Twitter: YouTube.

YouTube Heroes is Google saying they've given up. They no longer will have their staff on YouTube, but leaving it the community.

If Verizon or Salesforce get ahold of it, they'll neglect it. It'll die within 2 years. Google however would kill it within 6 months. Google is professional at bad decisions.

3 hours ago, David Coleman said:

Ok. Just wondering.

I agree. That just brought up another point on why Google shouldn't get Twitter: YouTube.

YouTube Heroes is Google saying they've given up. They no longer will have their staff on YouTube, but leaving it the community.

If Verizon or Salesforce get ahold of it, they'll neglect it. It'll die within 2 years. Google however would kill it within 6 months. Google is professional at bad decisions.

Considering the new policies that Youtube has begun implementing it's an even worse decision for them to get a hold of it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Galacter said:

Well said little pony. :) Microsoft will ensure safe browsing and chatting on Twitter and that's how it needs to be.

Yeah, hopefully Microsoft might be able to land a hand (or is it a hoof?) So twitter can get some much needed safety updates.

3 hours ago, Gragonelite said:

Yeah, hopefully Microsoft might be able to land a hand (or is it a hoof?) So twitter can get some much needed safety updates.

Much so. ;)

Oh man, Twitter is for sale? Damn, just when I'm out of popcorn. 

Honestly I don't care who buys it, as long as it's not Microsoft or Facebook, they've ruined enough things already.

3 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

Oh man, Twitter is for sale? Damn, just when I'm out of popcorn. 

Honestly I don't care who buys it, as long as it's not Microsoft or Facebook, they've ruined enough things already.

Less of the several evils though my friend. ;)

With what Google did to YouTube, I wouldn't trust them with Twitter...because they'll probably make me sign in with some unpopular Google service. Perhaps they'll make another policy that just totally ruins it for everybody, like the recent YouTube monetization thing...

But if Microsoft buys it, they might change things for the user without consent somehow. (Based on that Anniversary Update I only just got today because I never saw it or agreed to it, really...

Microsoft and security aren't things generally associated with each other unless you're making some analogy about MS security being about as effective as a house full of money with no doors and windows in the worst parts of (insert shithole city here).

Off-topic: When people say bad things about Google, It brings back bad memories of when I was on the Steam Forums' "Off Topic section. (Because I was a big Google fanatic long before I became a Pegasister.) A few years ago, I used to stay up late getting into arguments with other users about it. And ever since then, I have left that place, I was able to turn myself around and I'm in a much better place now.

Anyways, now back on topic.

IMO, I think that Facebook should buy Twitter. It may seem like a silly idea but, it would work.

None of the Above?

They all have histories of buying up smaller or more popular companies/teams and then killing them through mismanagement, neglect, or intent.

I don't have a Twitter account and don't use the service for anything, but I understand that it's an important tool for lots of other people (especially outside the developed world). Perhaps it should be turned into a non-profit instead of being subject to the typical Silicon Valley fate of growing huge, never making it out of the red ink, and then being smothered by its new owners.

23 hours ago, Lit Lamp said:

With what Google did to YouTube, I wouldn't trust them with Twitter...because they'll probably make me sign in with some unpopular Google service. Perhaps they'll make another policy that just totally ruins it for everybody, like the recent YouTube monetization thing...

But if Microsoft buys it, they might change things for the user without consent somehow. (Based on that Anniversary Update I only just got today because I never saw it or agreed to it, really...

Lesser of evils I'm afraid. :?

• Like 1

To try and make a serious attempt at contributing: first and foremost I don't know if US law would allow it, but in the spirit of the Monsanto-Beyer merger there could be a point where once could wonder if Facebook or Google purchasing Twitter would be akin to monopolization of the social network scene. If not we can be certain both would buy up  Twitter for the sole purpose of killing it, and they'll probably look for a way to roll the old Twitter services in their existing infrastructure.

The same rule would or may apply to Yahoo even, who has made acquisitions of Tumblr. Though in this area it might be a good move on Yahoo's part if they got the money, since they've been loosing relevance on the internet for the last couple years and having another large platform from which to get more advertising revenue would be a pick-me-up. But we come into the same thing with FB and Google picking it up: it might be to just kill the competition.

Whoever buys up Twitter then would likely have to have an interest in media communications. Disney is a sure-in and given how big they are they could certainly put a lot of weight behind their offer. It'd also give them their own attached social media platform, like MySpace to Time Inc. (the owners of Time magazine, if you needed to know).

In the interest of that, I would say: CNN/Turner Broadcasting (putting in the same pool as Cartoon Network and Adult Swim!) could pick it up. And maybe should. I dunno. At least it isn't Fox.

But Twitter being bought up by Ted Turner raises a question: would this be the consolidation of media and shrink the size of the groups/people holding media power? Turner has expressed regret that this is the landscape of the media world, so if the possibility was raised he may have declined on that premise, if it has happened. Of course, it'd be inevitable for Twitter to go to someone.

• Like 1