Steamworks

S6 - Episode 21 - Discussion

The mind control was a little........uneasing, to say the least. Imagine if they decide to place her on the side of Dark once more, if for a little time.

5 minutes ago, Galacter said:

The mind control was a little........uneasing, to say the least. Imagine if they decide to place her on the side of Dark once more, if for a little time.

She could easily take over

3 hours ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

I would like to see that as an alternate take or something

Extra footage perhaps, maybe something from the upcoming movie. In the meantime she just needs to learn that labor pays and evidently magic spays.

1 hour ago, Skyrazer said:

A relatively accurate time gap would be about 10-11 months in between S5E19 - The One Where Pinkie Knows and S6E01 The Crystalling, so the gap isn't that small either.

Now I'm curious... how much time do you guys think has passed since the first episode? 

12 minutes ago, Galacter said:

Extra footage perhaps, maybe something from the upcoming movie. In the meantime she just needs to learn that labor pays and evidently magic spays.

I would love to see this in the show

EquestrianEquality.png

I would love to see this in the show

EquestrianEquality.png

.................................................................................

.................................................................................

I find myself at a lost for words here....:(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Haven't Celestia and Luna been worfed enough times in this show? 

Not enough it would seem. :?

Oh, this one was fun! If there was ever any doubt that Starlight has been reformed from being an evil, scheming dictator, this episode put those doubts to rest. When Starlight cast the various obedience spells, she could have taken over the elements and used them to do her will against the citizens of Equestria. Instead, she only wanted to complete the friendship lessons in order to please Twilight, whom she clearly respects.

Clearly, Starlight is gifted in magic, just as Twilight was as a unicorn. She's great with spells and texts, but when it comes to just being friends you can tell she's had little experience. Of course, that's why she's getting friendship lessons from Twilight. I'm glad to see that Starlight can fail, and does fail at times, even when she tries her best. It's not to humiliate her, but to show that even a very smart and gifted pony can miss the forest for the trees.

The various examples of each of the Mane Six (sans Twilight) under the obedience spell were pretty fun to watch. Pinkie without the modicum of restraint she normally has is a sheer baking terror, Rarity's literal interpretations of Starlight's instructions were fun to watch (the mouse in the dress was adorable), Fluttershy's gathering of "all" of the animals was hilarious (except for the bugs, in which case I'm with Spike. Ew! Nightmare fuel!), Applejack's stories were gold. I had a deep, deep belly laugh when she said "and then Big Mac told me, with a whole lotta power comes a heck of a lotta responsibility!", and Dash's overcompensating when the kitchen caught on fire was terrific.

They spent an extra minute homing in on the final lesson, which I'm glad they did. Starlight sees magic as a tool, but she seems to believe it can solve any problem, which is a mindset Twilight had before she really learned her lesson about not manipulating those around you to get a "successful" result ("Lesson Zero" being an excellent example for her). Even after all of that, however, Starlight missed the point, and Twilight had to guide her to it.

On that note, I liked Starlight's apology, because once she got the point, she had that same facepalming revelation we all have when we miss the obvious staring us in the muzzle. I think it was genuine, and sincere, though I do like that the others accepted it while still being irked over what Starlight had done, even if it was with the best of intentions. Of course, Rainbow Dash's forceful and on-the-spot friendship lesson made that one abundantly clear, and had me laughing again:

"Here's a quick lesson for ya: DON'T CAST SPELLS ON YOUR FRIENDS!" :D

All in all, a fun slice of life episode that gives us more insight into Starlight, and just how her mind works, while giving us some great gags along the way. This episode gets an "A" from me.

Starlight could have easily taken over ponyville and overthrown the 2 sisters and then mind controlling the rest.

And that's not even the frighting part. :(

And make everyone do slave labor as they build statues of her

Worst, she makes Twilight organize ALL the books....:o

11 minutes ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

Starlight could have easily taken over ponyville and overthrown the 2 sisters and then mind controlling the rest.

Show might screw over the Two Sisters on a pretty regular basis, but until shown otherwise, I doubt they're getting defeated by some Unicorn, even if she is powerful. 

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Show might screw over the Two Sisters on a pretty regular basis, but until shown otherwise, I doubt they're getting defeated by some Unicorn, even if she is powerful. 

Or maybe twilight and starlight would be their successors?

3 minutes ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

Or maybe twilight and starlight would be their successors?

Twilight maybe, but I can't see Celestia and Luna making a sociopath their successors. 

25 minutes ago, Galacter said:

Worst, she makes Twilight organize ALL the books....:o

Seems like the complete opposite of a punishment to me.

3 hours ago, hiigaran said:

Seems like the complete opposite of a punishment to me.

I say so because I believe organization is Spike's forte.