Steamworks

S6 - Episode 21 - Discussion

It is nice seeing unicorns duking it out. We don't see enough fun magic like this in the show.

But who's going to reshelve all those books? And shouldn't Twi more concerned about damaging those books?

And Starlight just does it.

The clone trick is pretty nice.

Of course a great teacher and great student would get a lazy student.

Chillaxing with Dashie sounds pretty awesome.

Lazy Town nod. Hadn't expected that.

No, Starlight, learning magic is easy. Dealing with others is a pain in the plot.

I see Pinkie going full ham with that cooking.

I don't see automatons doing well at creative tasks like dress making or scrapbooking.

I want to hear more of the Big Mac tale. Don't tease us like that, AJ.

Eyup, Pinkie went ham.

Eh, I figure pegasi dropping rain clouds is part of SOP for Equestrian fire departments.

I wonder if Twi is gonna send a letter to Celestia about her behavior back in Lesson Zero.

Oh come on, these ponies have to have been hungover before, especially AJ.

Eh, apologies don't work that well.

I want a jacuzzi thing like that.

• Like 1

Starlight still has to understand that magic is not ghe solution to all your problems. Though I was thinking at first she'd try to use that "be in several places at once" spell, and fail.

To be honest, having Starlight trying to solve her friendship lessons by cloning herself would have been better that what we got.

On a related note, I can't help but wonder if the writers are looking at criticisms fans have of the character and trying to go about them all at once.

"We want no more Starlight!"

Instead of trying to gracefully write her out of the story on a high note, they just ignore her until they want an episode with her, killing any potential development for her character this season.

"We want Starlight to be a villain again!"

They kind did that with "A Heartswarming Tale", but thought that fans wanted Starlight being a villain within the show, which would have been okay if a) they planned on doing a classic kung-fu movie scenario where the teacher tries to stop the villainous student he/she tried to redeem and failed to and b) didn't do a relapse episode at the worst possible moment.

"We want Starlight to feel bad about what she did!"

Instead of showing her mature as a character and learn from her mistakes, the writers make her the result of a mad scientist's experiment to cross Wesley Crusher's (from Star Trek: TNG) ability to be gifted at everything with Shinji Ikari's (from Evangelion) perpetual self-pity.

It's just a theory, but, if true, the writers' handling of Starlight Glimmer is a textbook example of someone trying to please everybody, only to end up pleasing nobody.

17 minutes ago, WaterPulse said:

To be honest, having Starlight trying to solve her friendship lessons by cloning herself would have been better that what we got.

They did seem to set that up and then go nowhere with it.

On a related note, I can't help but wonder if the writers are looking at criticisms fans have of the character and trying to go about them all at once.

Literally impossible, since all the episodes for the season were written about a year before the season aired.

2 minutes ago, ABronyAccount said:

Literally impossible, since all the episodes for the season were written about a year before the season aired.

Oh, okay. Thank you for clarifying that. :D

• Like 1

There are a lot of similarities between this episode and Lesson Zero, but to me they're not really the same thing. This actually ties back into another character trait they've established for Starlight earlier in the season: her reliance on magic. Or, more specifically, her reliance on her extreme talent and skills with magic to make up for her lack of social skills.

She said so herself at the end: the entire approach was hoping that she could impress her teacher with her demonstrable magical knowledge enough that Twilight would overlook her stagnating growth in friendship and socialization. Basically, it's about compensating for your perceived faults and failings by amping up the emphasis on something you know you're good at, something I have a lifetime of experience with.

Twilight wasn't trying to deal with that same problem in Lesson Zero.

5 minutes ago, ABronyAccount said:

They did seem to set that up and then go nowhere with it.

It probably could have worked. Just add a complication whereby the clones have no memory of what they've done, then when their tasks are done and they combine back into the original, Starlight would have learned nothing from her experiences when Twilight asks. Of course, then we would have seen all those comical disasters, so I think the writers went in the right direction.

Perhaps that spell was seen as a set up for a future episode?

On 9/25/2016 at 5:00 AM, Thaliel said:

Starlight still has to understand that magic is not ghe solution to all your problems. Though I was thinking at first she'd try to use that "be in several places at once" spell, and fail.

Well she and Ms. Sparkle are quite evenly matched, amazing considering Twilight's status as an Alicorn, and Ms. Sparkle learned that lesson herself. 

I think Ms. Glimmer will do so as well soon enough. ;)