Dennis Abernathy Harrison

What making a statement gets you

I was banned from the comments on EQD. I don't have very long before I'm banned here as well, so I'll be quick.

I made a statement about the lack of freedom of speech in EQD's comments, and what do you know. I was banned. The mods there only proved my point.

Guess I'll say goodbye to the few people who actually considered me friend. I'll try and find somewhere in the fandom that's more welcoming.

While it's not my concern why you were banned I doubt you'll be banned here just because some EQD comment mod got their jimmies rustled. This forum's got a different set of moderators independent from EQD's mods. While this is the "EQD" forum the mods here follow our own set of rules and might not crack down on whatever EQD's mods might consider ban worthy.

15 minutes ago, David Coleman said:

I made a statement about the lack of freedom of speech in EQD's comments, and what do you know. I was banned.

And may I note that "Freedom of Speech" only means that you cannot be arrested for what you say, meaning it only applies to interactions with the government. Otherwise, it means squat. The mods there can do whatever they want, and I respect their decision without knowing both sides of the story. After the reintroduction of the comment system I'm sure they're being very careful about what they let stay and what they remove as to promote a safe community.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, David Coleman said:

Banning me for having an opinion isn't in there rules.

Having opinions isn't what can get you banned, the way you express that opinion can.

And "Free Speech" isn't an excuse to be an arse to people or force your opinions on them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

Having opinions isn't what can get you banned, the way you express that opinion can.

And "Free Speech" isn't an excuse to be an arse to people or force your opinions on them.

Wait wait wait, his opinion went that far?

1 minute ago, Galacter said:

Wait wait wait, his opinion went that far?

I was talking in general, I've no idea to what exactly happened to warrant a ban.

3 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

I was talking in general, I've no idea to what exactly happened to warrant a ban.

Ah. Well I don't believe it to have been a rather.......bad opinion. No idea what happened as well but he seems to be on the more positive side of karma to warrant a ban.

3 hours ago, Jack Pipsam said:

I am pretty sure you would have got banned for something more complex than you're telling us.

Abuse of power perhaps....?

7 hours ago, David Coleman said:

I was banned from the comments on EQD. I don't have very long before I'm banned here as well, so I'll be quick.

I made a statement about the lack of freedom of speech in EQD's comments, and what do you know. I was banned. The mods there only proved my point.

Guess I'll say goodbye to the few people who actually considered me friend. I'll try and find somewhere in the fandom that's more welcoming.

Freedom of speech doesn't give you a bypass to say whatever you want

Free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting "fire" in a crowded theatre and causing panic. Yes, you do have the ability to express yourself, but you also must be willing to accept the consequences of your actions.

Having absolutely no knowledge about this bannable post nor your history, I still think this is a good reference and reality check for anybody out there bemoaning the "lack of free speech" on websites:

free_speech.png

Accompanying alt text: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Galacter said:

Abuse of power perhaps....?

With the Equestrian Daily moderation team on in the comment section? Hardly seems worth it with a power-trip.

3 hours ago, Jack Pipsam said:

With the Equestrian Daily moderation team on in the comment section? Hardly seems worth it with a power-trip.

Nothing huge mind you, just the occasional one that, how does it go...?, "get's too big for his britches."

4 hours ago, KimOlsen87 said:

well, since you seem to think you've been unfairly banned, may you tell us what you've been banned for?
if they told what it was that is.

Let's not be too harsh now.

2 hours ago, ABronyAccount said:

Having absolutely no knowledge about this bannable post nor your history, I still think this is a good reference and reality check for anybody out there bemoaning the "lack of free speech" on websites:

free_speech.png

Accompanying alt text: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.

I was going to say  something similar as well.

Just because you have an oppinion and are willing to express it doesn't mean any other parties have to nod along complacently or agree with you because it's *your* opinion. To expect this is also limiting to Free Speech in that everyone has to automatically censor themselves to agree with the latest original thought that doesn't otherwise  conflict  with existing thought. If that were the case than unrefined and un-evolved Jacksonian Democracy would be a thing. Or really: Hamiltonian Federalism would be the law of the land.

Free Speech protects the individual  from legal action for that speech, as well as protects any expressive or verbal repercussions from stating your opinion. People reserve equal rights and groups  the right to even ban you as their own expression against you. You might consider this censorship, but it isn't ultimately since you can still publicly voice your opinions on a different platform.

The whole thing can get funner to when private property rights are taken into accounts and websites can be considered an extension of an individual or a group's private property. You'd be asked to leave a party as you would  be removed from a web forum for yelling, "Gas the kikes!" at everyone.

• Like 2