Sign in to follow this  
Dsiak

Was Sunset half-minded about the crown?

I was re watching the first movie and I noticed something that made me see the first movie and the evil Sunset differently, the scene I would like to discuss if the one where Sunset kidnaps Spike to lure Twilight outside and is about to destroy the portal if she doesn’t forfeit the crown.

Y3f1jFX.png

The first thing I want to highlight is when she says she would never hurt Spike, because "she is not a monster", only to later on transform into a monster and downright try to murder Twilight.

PkWxRTK.png

Second, she looks worried when Twilight states that "this world might not survive if you get the crown"

aPtfmAm.png

And this the thing that made me wonder if she was half-minded, this is not the stance of someone who is determined to go all the way, I don't know what you ponies think but for me hugging yourself is a sine sign of hesitation and doubt. She does give him however and proceed to assault Twilight.

MrcwfUH.png

She could have used the hammer and smashed her face but this girl goal was not physically hurting anyone. Until the dark magic takes over that is...

cwptNK7.png

She regrets it instantly, that is the kind of face you make when you are at the peak of the roller coaster regretting your poor choice at rides.

75oInhB.png

From not harming a dog, not even punching someone to get her ultimate goal she goes full killer and try to cold blood murder Twilight, she had no defence and she knew it! The magic really messed her head up much like it did with Sci Twilight, only in Sunset case it was way more dangerous.

saLdX7Q.png

Then, first thing she says is "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry". I never gave her apology much credit before because it felt rushed, but now I think her good self was asking for forgiveness the whole time she was transformed

That is the scene I wanted to discuss everypony, I know I'm basing it on facial expressions but they are not there by accident, specially in a animated movie! What do you think?

• Like 1

Well she did say in Friendship Games that the crown's power overwhelmed her. I'm sure (with this new information) that deep down inside (as the she-demon) she was like "Oh crap, what have I done?!" as her demon self was trying to kill Twilight. Maybe she did have her doubts about the whole thing.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2016 at 11:29 PM, Dsiak said:

I was re watching the first movie and I noticed something that made me see the first movie and the evil Sunset differently, the scene I would like to discuss if the one where Sunset kidnaps Spike to lure Twilight outside and is about to destroy the portal if she doesn’t forfeit the crown.

Y3f1jFX.png

The first thing I want to highlight is when she says she would never hurt Spike, because "she is not a monster", only to later on transform into a monster and downright try to murder Twilight.

PkWxRTK.png

Second, she looks worried when Twilight states that "this world might not survive if you get the crown"

aPtfmAm.png

And this the thing that made me wonder if she was half-minded, this is not the stance of someone who is determined to go all the way, I don't know what you ponies think but for me hugging yourself is a sine sign of hesitation and doubt. She does give him however and proceed to assault Twilight.

MrcwfUH.png

She could have used the hammer and smashed her face but this girl goal was not physically hurting anyone. Until the dark magic takes over that is...

cwptNK7.png

She regrets it instantly, that is the kind of face you make when you are at the peak of the roller coaster regretting your poor choice at rides.

75oInhB.png

From not harming a dog, not even punching someone to get her ultimate goal she goes full killer and try to cold blood murder Twilight, she had no defence and she knew it! The magic really messed her head up much like it did with Sci Twilight, only in Sunset case it was way more dangerous.

saLdX7Q.png

Then, first thing she says is "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry". I never gave her apology much credit before because it felt rushed, but now I think her good self was asking for forgiveness the whole time she was transformed

That is the scene I wanted to discuss everypony, I know I'm basing it on facial expressions but they are not there by accident, specially in a animated movie! What do you think?

Desperation is a terrible thing. :(

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty obvious from Sunset's backstory that she was blinded by hunger for power. After Celestia told her she couldn't continue being her student because her thirst for power was dangerous, Twilight's crown became a relatively easy way to gain what she so desired.

I don't think Sunset ever wanted to hurt anypony. She just wanted the crown's magic and was oblivious to anything else.

• Like 1

I noticed all of the things you pointed out myself, I think her desire for power was just too strong, even after what Twilight had said, knowing the consequences. Though it I think she was starting to doubt why she was even doing it, and being transformed had to show her just that. So if you miss facial expressions and the body language, yes the apologizing can seem rushed, but if you caught all of this you can see she wasn't 100% sure the whole time, starting to think about Twilight's words, and Equestria itself probably.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2016 at 11:47 PM, Biglulu said:

I thought it was pretty obvious from Sunset's backstory that she was blinded by hunger for power. After Celestia told her she couldn't continue being her student because her thirst for power was dangerous, Twilight's crown became a relatively easy way to gain what she so desired.

I don't think Sunset ever wanted to hurt anypony. She just wanted the crown's magic and was oblivious to anything else.

Too much power allowed her a clearer mind. You did the right thing Sunset....

• Like 1

On 9/28/2016 at 11:29 PM, Dsiak said:

Y3f1jFX.png

PkWxRTK.png

aPtfmAm.png

MrcwfUH.png

cwptNK7.png

75oInhB.png

saLdX7Q.png

out of all the villains our heroes have faced, none of them, before Sunset, has cried like that.  When I looked into her eyes, I knew she was willing to change and be a hero.  

• Like 1