ryuredwings

Ryu's Inktober Drawthread

Might as well get this sucker started over here!

"What the hek is Inktober?!"
Inktober is when artists all over the world decide to give the digital art a break, and go back to good ol' ink and paper! Some artists go really nuts and uses washes, paints, anything so long as there is some form of ink use in there somewhere. 

I'm not very brave and usually use just pencil and ink, but sometimes I like to get creative and use watercolors. I work best in limited grayscale.

ANYWAY. I'll be posting these daily drawings here, and you all are free to voice requests for these. I'm open for ideas since drawing something new every day can get hard!!

• Like 1

tumblr_oee8ziv4ik1rr6gj2o1_500.png

First day, first drawing! Not a pony though, she isn't even in the MLP universe at all!

But since she has 4 legs, I figured she would count over here. This is Abbey! She's an OC I've had for a while whom I'm constantly trying to get a comic started for. Maybe this fall I'll be able to devote some more time to her?

Anyway, I saw all your requests! I'll give some of them a shot for days I can't think of anything for.

• Like 1

Nice! I seem to spy some brushwork in the grass blades and thicker outlines. Technical pens for the hatching and finer details? And is the shading marker or ink wash?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ABronyAccount said:

Nice! I seem to spy some brushwork in the grass blades and thicker outlines. Technical pens for the hatching and finer details? And is the shading marker or ink wash?

The shading is marker! I use a very basic grayscale brush pen set from Faber Castel for a majority of my ink stuff. I'm thinking of maybe picking up some other stuff next week, but I've found working in a limited palette helps me the most!

• Like 1

tumblr_oeg03zL5p21rr6gj2o1_540.png

Inktober #2!
All hail the queen!

Today's inktober was a pure pony so of course she gets posted here. ;3 Maybe I should draw Cadance tomorrow to balance her out?

• Like 2

tumblr_oei4f58auY1rr6gj2o1_540.png

Inktober #3

Aorta Rose, a very self-indulgent OC that I literally had a dream about. There's a lot that goes into her story, but to summarize she's a unicorn that got her heart stolen and she wound becoming some crazy magic-life-energy eating vampire. When she's basically gorged herself, she can turn into a pseudo-kind of nightmare and goes pretty much coocoo for cocoa puffs until the magic runs out. 

She's got a tag on my blog here: http://ryuredwingsartarama.tumblr.com/tagged/aorta-rose

tumblr_oek0x0ROTM1rr6gj2o1_r1_540.png

I kind of debated putting this one here since it's not a pony, but since this is technically an Inktober drawthread... Maybe it counts??

I dunno, what do you guys think? Do you want me to post ALL the Inktober stuff I do in this thread for you guys to see, or should I just post the pony centered ones?

Anyway, this is Yumi! I have a handful of Pokemon gijinkas that I write stories for, and Yumi's kind of my flagship since she's my favorite. <3 I loooove Ghost types and Giratina is just one of my favorite legendaries, so of course I love her to pieces. I also really, really like drawing her fun Celestia-like hair, which looks much better when it's done digitally, promise. You can find her story here.

This is her tag on my blog: http://ryuredwingsreturn.tumblr.com/tagged/yumi

tumblr_oelariS5hJ1rr6gj2o1_540.png

Time for some more non-pony peeps! The adorable kitsune in the front is Ryu (not to be confused with me) and the girl photobombing her is her best friend Kir (short for Kirati) a nekomata. They're some of my oldest OC's and are part of a story I've been brewing for years called Otherworld. I don't get to draw them that much anymore since they just wind up at the bottom of the to-do list since the pony stuff gives me more money. >>;

• Like 1

tumblr_oenmfzonqn1rr6gj2o1_540.png

I was behind a day in uploaded these over here so you get two today!

I decided to follow up on that thought to make a companion piece to my fun Queen Chrysalis, and even though Cadance didn't turn out quite as fun, she is pretty cute! Check out those adorable pink hearts!

tumblr_oewr4uDag71rr6gj2o1_540.png

tumblr_oewr4uDag71rr6gj2o2_400.png

tumblr_oewr4uDag71rr6gj2o3_400.png

Holy cow, I gotta do catch up like crazy. I'm still behind by 2 days, but I'm going to do my best to catch up. Maybe I'll do some simple pony portraits to go along with these?

Anyway, these are more characters from my comic "Abbey," including Abbey (who's the first post in here!), her kirin friend Xie (who is a boy, I swear), and Jasper, a rainbow feathered coatl who is Abbey's guardian. You can see them all here at this tag, where you can see how colorful they all really are!

http://ryuredwingsartarama.tumblr.com/tagged/abbey

• Like 1