Sign in to follow this  
Citadel

Fun stories

Ever have something crazy happen to you while playing video games? Tales of epic victories? Astonishing losses? Giving the trolls their comeuppance? This is the thread to archive it.

I'll get us started with a lame example. In WoW just now, I hopped on to do some healing. This particular dungeon is just the final boss, so it was thankfully quick, but I noticed some of my heals felt a little weak. That's when I noticed I was healing in my damaging gear. Thankfully, most gear switches between famage and healer stats when you switch specializations, but my weapon, rings, trinkets, and necklace don't, soooo.. Yeah. Oops. But it was Looking for Raid, the easymode of raiding, so no one even really noticed. Still came in near the top of the healing meter anyway. 

The game is Elite: Dangerous, a space-sim game,

I had managed to grind my way through commerce to the best freight ship in the game, a whooping 76 million in game credits, for a sense of scale the cheapest ship in game is 20 000 credits, the most expensive 146 million.

I took it for a spin and started investing my emergency insurance money (the price to re buy your ship if you die) in cargo, telling myself that in no time i would have 20 times the amount.

Second trade run, with all my money spent on a full cargo hold, I forget to ask for landing permission in a space port and get blasted out the airlock by security.

Lost all my money and the ship, back to square one, surprisingly enough I didn't rage quit and instead just gritted my teeth and told myself that that was a life experience and that i wouldn't be doing the same mistakes again.

Now sitting with a smaller ship but with a comfortable 30 million credits in my pocket.

• Like 1

Playing Thief (the new one) and I'm being chased by a guard, I can't get rid of him quickly enough without alerting even more. So I did a perfect 180 trickshot arrow straight into his face, and he dropped dead.

I was honestly surprised I pulled it off, even walked up to him and looked at the arrow.

• Like 1

Dirty Bomb

Last objective, need to plant C4 and my Team is losing hard. Switched to Proxy and planted the C4 in the last second, the game goes overtime. Everyone in my team is kinda dead, I solo hold the line and the C4 blowed up the very last second. Man was that epic and satisfying

Crackdown.

I had survived the long fight up one of the tallest buildings in the city, and defeated the boss at the top. I didn't feel like making the climb back down, and fast travel felt like a cop-out.

So I jumped, aimed in the general direction of the river.

At first I thought, "Oh, I'll make it to the water easily."

Then I thought, "Oh crap, I'm not going to make it. I'm about to splatter all over the pavement."

Then I thought, "HOLY S***, I MISSED HITTING THE EMBANKMENT BY LITERALLY A FOOT!" and landed safely in the water.

Best day ever.

I have tons of stories, but one that I remember was me and a friend were playing the original Smash Bros for N64 (I think it was Saffron City stage) and we both threw bomb-ombs into the air at different times, at opposite sides of the map and forgot about them. Then out of nowhere, a computer gets launched into one of them, then the push from that caused the computer to get launched into the other, then died. 

• Like 1

Necro rez! I wanna hear more stories.

Here's a simple one from WoW, was doing a raid on my rogue against Margok or whoever the big ogre guy. We wipe and someone calls for a dps list. I go, "I already know I'm not on the list."

"Actually you're #10"

What...

He brought up the list and sure enough I was 10 on the list for dps. I was honestly amazed I did that well.

Also that explains why we wiped, I was doing better damage than over 50% of the group!

Payday 2

Joined a random game of Cook Off, went pretty well up until we ran out of ingredients for the 3'd time, but instead of escaping we got greedy and tried to cook more Meth.

Instantly RNJesus decides he's had enough of us and everything hits the fan, within 10 seconds a black bulldozer goes in the house and downs our Medic, the other two went down to a sniper and the dozer respectively while trying to save the Medic. So the house has a tazer, one bulldozer and Celestia knows how many cops inside. 

I ditch the bag with ingredients I was carying and decide to rush in. I hear a cloaker's charge sound and my blood freezes. I can feel the impending doom as I turn around and see him charging at me....

....and he missed. He overshot me barely and ate half a mag to the face. Still somehow on time managed to dodge the cops outside and the few inside and get our Medic up, he Inspired the other two up instantly. We ditched everything and  ran for our butts right outta there.

I did the swing set glitch in GTA 4. I flew to the other side of the map then crashed my game by spawning tons of boats everywhere in the city. good times

I pushed a Synthister by accident in Radio Kaikan Area in Akiba's Trip, turns out the street was full of them and they kept spawning. 20 minutes of brawl later, i left with 25k ¥ worth of clothes and underwears. Today was a good day.

Started playing Trove again because I was bored one night. Was playing as one of the new classes, the Tomb Raiser, an OP as fuck class that's basically a necromancer, so he has a bunch of minions that can combine into one tanky super minion. All of them aggro enemies and the big one is tough as nails and hits like a wall to the face if he's big enough.

Anyway, I was playing around doing dungeons and such when I inadvertantly started following this Lunar Lancer around (newest class, can pack a heck of a punch) and we just started running dungeon after dungeon. We never said a word to eachother for like half an hour till he finally sent me a friend request. Then we ran dungeons for another half an hour. Much loot was had.

Wasn't really a big thing. Early on in a Heroes of the Storm match, we're poking back and forth. I was playing.. Probably Leoric . Might have been Kharazim. Anyway, a Stitches had come up to my Lane to help out, since it looked like heroes were beginning to bunch up near me. He got distracted and overextended and pretty much shit on, and right after he died, I saw in chat from him, "Mistakes were made..." Dunno why, but it cracked me up. 

My twin brother was playing Skyrim. He was carrying a lantern when he was attacked by a bandit. He dropped the lantern, then the bandit picked it up, brought it to him, and said "You dropped this. Be careful where you put things" and gave it back before becoming hostile again.

• Like 1

So as Skyrim popped up it reminded me of a story.

Still in Skyrim I was fighting a dragon, I was still relatively new to the game so my levels weren't very high, during the battle a mammoth starts hitting the dragon and eventually takes it down for me.

As i get to the dead creature and absorb its soul I hear thundering footsteps in the back of my headset, I turn only to see a giant (from a nearby camp) running towards me while preparing to swing his club.

At this point I already new what was going to happen as that wasn't my first encounter with one, so I literally took my hands of the keyboard and said  "just take me then!".

Seconds later I was on my way to one of the two moons, my corpse soaring with elegant post mortem grace.

This is more of a weird and/or creepy one. I had a good bit of progress into Skyrim on my main character before I got the Legendary edition, maybe about level 25-30.
I grabbed the DLCs and loaded my save up, I was at the Whiterun stables at the time and really needed to get to a shop and unload some of the garbage loot I had from a Bandit camp raid.

The moment I entered town however Mirak's cultists spawned in and rushed to me, the usual fight goes on and I kill all three of them even though they were oddly high level. I loot one of the cultists's armors off for my collection and just leave his corpse there. Fast forwards a few hours and I'm back in Whiterun, and what am I greeted with? A mob of the town's people have gathered around the naked corpse of that one cultist and are just crouched next to him staring at the body like they're performing some sort of demonic ritual, or maybe its Necrophilia.... This keeps happening to this day every single time I enter Whiterun.

Playing Uther in Hearthstone and I get paired with another Uther, we exchange greetings and then I start bitch slapping him with my minions.

It was a good fight, got a little hairy near the end but I managed to pull out my Stormwind champion, boost my minions and take him out.

I've also gotten to the custom of saying "Sorry" before ending it.