Sign in to follow this  
Toki Zensekai

Star Fox Zero is a *GREAT* Game

Ok, I wanted to rant, but I posted this track to remain calm and explain about my stance on this game and the massive elephant in the room that really needs to be taken care of.

When Star Fox Zero was released, it was met with heavy criticism. The majority complaining about the controls, several complaining that the reboot is nothing more than just a rehash of SF64, and some complaining about the graphics being no better than the 64. When I got the game and saw these reviews, my heart sank. A game I was in high anticipation for, was met with such heavy criticism that I just couldn't understand why, considering I was playing the game and enjoying it! Now mind you, I've grown up with Star Fox since the SNES, and I consider the original SNES Star Fox a Masterpiece, and I do not use that term lightly. Star Fox after 64 had been nothing more than a shadow of its former self, and when Star Fox Command came out, I almost felt like I was losing hope for the franchise (it was a good game, don't get me wrong, but the story killed me!). So when I learned of this coming out, hope started to return to me since they were going back to what made Star Fox, Star Fox!

So how could I be part of a minority of gamers who enjoyed Star Fox Zero? Well, I'm going to do my best to take each point that people criticized about the game and give a counter-argument to the case.

Problem #1 - The Controls:

So Nintendo decided that they wanted to add motion controls to the game to utilize the gyro-scope in the gamepad, which unfortunately from past experience, has never proven to be a reliable control scheme for most people. So the fact you had to utilize both the gyro-scope and the joysticks to operate the Arwing would be to gamer's the equivalent of rubbing their stomach and patting their head at the same time, most which find annoying.

While this may be the case, the gyro-scope controls was very smooth and responded very well, and when utilized correctly made for very epic space battles that you normally can't pull off with just regular flight controls. I tell you what, if I had the gyro-scope function in SF64, I would've killed Star Wolf on Venom 2 without them even getting a shot in!

The problem I see with the reviewers, is they never say that they even tried to practice the controls! I mean, there's a reason the PRACTICE MENU exists! TO PRACTICE THE CONTROLS!

Jirard Kalil - AKA the Completionist - said to persevere with the controls, you will adapt and you will get good at the game!

Problem #2 - The Dual Screen:

Another issue next to the controls is the screens. A lot of people think that you have to rely on both your TV and the gamepad to properly play the game, which for people means having to deal with both controls and having to multitask with the screens, making more problems for people!

The problem here, is people thought that using both screens was required. Guess what, IT'S NOT REQUIRED!   Believe it or not, you do not have to utilized both screens in tandem to play the game. I actually managed to complete the game using only the gamepad. How, you might ask? Simple, the (+) button. It actually swaps the camera for both screens, so if you're in all-range mode, you can switch between both screens to get your barrings straight, and you can play most of the game in First-Person mode, which I actually found to be a lot of fun and made it easier to aim and fly.

Problem #3 - The Reboot:

A lot of people, much to my surprise, really did not like the idea of a reboot of the game, claiming it wasn't necessary, considering it's almost using the same assets of Star Fox 64 and that they could've done something completely new.

Let's be real here people. If you're unfamiliar with the Star Fox Zero outside of SF64 and Star Fox Assault, let me familiarize you with the game Star Fox Command.

Released on the NDS in 2006, Star Fox Command was what Star Fox 2 could've been if SF2 had been released on the SNES. The game featured part-strategy, part-action flight shooter with full 360* movement. The game also had a more robust, yet dramatic storyline that revolved mostly around Fox and Krystal's relationship. The gameplay itself was overall enjoyable, however, the story line was nothing short of chaos, turmoil, and so much cringe. The worst part about the story, was that it did not have a proper canonical ending (IT HAD 13 ENDINGS!!), or rather, if the first ending you get in the game is the conical ending, this is what we would've had to put up with:

Do we really need furry drama in our game? No, no we do not.

The thing is though, is that while some assets were re-used, most of these assets were changed drastically to the point where it really was not the same thing anymore (look at the Attack Carrier for crying out loud!). Plus, the walker was not in SF64, the Tank could not fly, and there were challenges thrown into the mix that SF64 did not have!

Problem #4 - The Graphics:

I saw quite a few people who complained that the graphics were not up to par with most current gen games and some even compared it to being no better than SF64's graphics.

MV5BMTIzMDA0OTgxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDQz2982182-star-fox-zero2.jpg

Now I'm no graphics expert, but unless you have serious stigmatic issues I think there's a clear comparison between both games, and to be frank, I really liked the eye popping colors of Star Fox Zero compared to the muddy colors of SF64. In fact I'm a bit surprised no one has ever mentioned how muddy they were! Seemed like pretty depression color pallets for an action shooter game, am I right?

Closing thoughts:

Look, I don't imagine to persuade everyone, but I implore you, if you own the game and have thought about returning it or just haven't touched it because of the issues, please, please give it another shot, look past those issues. The game is amazing, I have not had as an exhilarating time playing this game IN A LONG TIME since the days of Omega Boost on the PSX!

Star Fox Zero is one of THE BEST games on the Wii U to date and it's sad that so many people would spend minimal time to only see what it is at face value and not take the time to fully appreciate the game for what is truly is, a great game.

I'm sorry, I still heavily disagree. Starfox really didn't need another reboot, especially 2 remakes in one damn generation!(We just had SF643D just a few years prior) It was a plain rehash, right down to reusing the same freaking dialogue. I usually defend motion controls, but here? The motion controls aren't fun to use, they felt a lot more obtrusive and more of a pain to use. And honestly most of my problems with the game would be solved if they made motion controls optional, not mandatory, but as it can pretty much boil down to "Starfox 64 with gimmicks". 

And even then there's still the fact that it's still a remake of Starfox 64, which I'm sorry, it's already been remade 3 freaking times! Twice in the same generation! Granted it feels more like a remake than 3D, which was more or less a glorified port, but even then I'm sick of going through the Lylat Wars over and over again. Command's story was pretty crap, but would it be too hard just to make it non-canon? Assault had a solid, decent, and inoffensive story. Would anyone really be complaining if they just started where that left off?

I can agree on the graphics, but that's all I can agree on

I love the Starfox series, including the more unpopular entries like Adventures and Command, and I was absolutely estatic when this was announced, was soul crushingly disappointed when I finally got it. This didn't feel like a return to form all, it felt like it was cockriding the popularity of Starfox 64 while shoehorning new ideas in places it didn't belong.

As it stands, it's easily one of the most disappointing games this gen, and probably one of the most disappointing games I've ever played

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megas75 said:

I'm sorry, I still heavily disagree. Starfox really didn't need another reboot, especially 2 remakes in one damn generation!(We just had SF643D just a few years prior) It was a plain rehash, right down to reusing the same freaking dialogue. I usually defend motion controls, but here? The motion controls aren't fun to use, they felt a lot more obtrusive and more of a pain to use. And honestly most of my problems with the game would be solved if they made motion controls optional, not mandatory, but as it can pretty much boil down to "Starfox 64 with gimmicks". 

And even then there's still the fact that it's still a remake of Starfox 64, which I'm sorry, it's already been remade 3 freaking times! Twice in the same generation! Granted it feels more like a remake than 3D, which was more or less a glorified port, but even then I'm sick of going through the Lylat Wars over and over again. Command's story was pretty crap, but would it be too hard just to make it non-canon? Assault had a solid, decent, and inoffensive story. Would anyone really be complaining if they just started where that left off?

really.gif

I get the feeling you completely skimmed over my counter arguments here. You basically just did nothing but make one big redundant statement on my whole post.

5 minutes ago, Toki Zensekai said:

really.gif

I get the feeling you completely skimmed over my counter arguments here. You basically just did nothing but make one big redundant statement on my whole post.

So simply disagreeing means I didn't read. Sure, OK

- You claim that you must learn controls to appreciate the game. And yet many people often claim that the controls are one of the game's biggest issues, there's no way so many people are saying that just to pick on the game. Not everyone likes motion controls for starters. The motion controls aren't optional, you're required to use them, but instead of going with an easy scheme, they go with a needlessly complex one. And most of the schemes they added could've been easily replace with buttons, or a normal controller. This isn't a matter of people needing to learn to control the game, it's a matter of the controls being more difficult than it needs to. The Starfox series is a generally pick up an play series, with controls not being to difficult to learn, but this game goes out of it's way to be more complicated than it needs too 

- You say that the Dual Screen isn't mandatory, and while that's true, it goes back to the first point, in that people are still stuck with a needlessly complex control scheme most people already don't want to deal with

- You claim that you were surprised that people were upset with the game being a reboot, while claiming Command killed off any chance to continue.

First off, this is the 3rd time the game has been remade/rebooted. The first Starfox 64 was already a remake of the original game, then we wound up getting yet another remake with SF64 3D, then, only a few years afterwords we get a "reimagining"(AKA, another remake) of Starfox 64. It's beyond ridiculous. Second, the plan to fixing the problem with Command is to simply ignore it, which the majority of fans would've dandy with. Seriously what real consequence would there be if the series continued after Assault instead? What would really be different? Give the team a new threat to face, people are sick of going through the Lylat Wars, people are sick of having to face Andross over and over

Your not wrong with your opinions, as everyone looks at games differently, but people's complaints aren't without merit

• Like 2

Ok so I've had some time to sit down and think your argument and a lot of other player's arguments over. Which it seemed like the biggest complaint is the whole remake/reboot issue of Star Fox Zero in comparison to Star Fox 64 and the 3DS port.

So something I need to ask. Everyone keeps saying Star Fox Zero is a remake of Star Fox 64. Can you please point out everything in the game that makes a remake of Star Fox 64?

On 3/29/2017 at 0:10 PM, Toki Zensekai said:

So something I need to ask. Everyone keeps saying Star Fox Zero is a remake of Star Fox 64. Can you please point out everything in the game that makes a remake of Star Fox 64?

Nintendo flat out said it. During every preview they talked about how it was a "reimagining of the Lylat Wars"(and normally the phrase "reimagining" is just PR bullshit for "same old shit")

And the game is as unsubtle as it gets, same exact cast, same exact dialogue in many places, same story, many of the same areas barring a couple of new sectors. Only changes are a few of those really shitty Gyrowing with poorly implemented motion controls