Steamworks

S6 - Episode 23 - Discussion

Where to watch:
(Some of the pages have the episode title in them already. If you can't bear to even know that, you should probably avoid them until it's time for the episode.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/4c13r3/mlpfim_season_6_episode_streams/

(Viva Las Pegasus, Every Little Thing She Does, and PPOV are airing as a run up to the new episode.)

DailyMotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4wolx8_my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-623-where-the-apple-lies_animals

YouTube:

Ended up not airing after all. Apparently was pulled for having cider references and needing to be censored for the UK. Who knows if part one of the finale will air tomorrow or not?

Well the Season 6 final run of episodes is off to a good start. Where the Apple Lies did not air due to Cider references and in the UK Cider is apparently only alcoholic type. The episode is being rescheduled for a later airing date.

Source: (From /mlp/ season 6 finale thread)
1475579321037.png
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/10/season-6-episode-23-where-apple-lies.html

Will still air on Discovery Family channel this week regular time in North America most likely.

As for the season finale still a-go to air. Only one way to find out, I'll be awake at midnight to see if it's still happening.

9 hours ago, Canyon Light said:

Well the Season 6 final run of episodes is off to a good start. Where the Apple Lies did not air due to Cider references and in the UK Cider is apparently only alcoholic type. The episode is being rescheduled for a later airing date.

Source: (From /mlp/ season 6 finale thread)
1475579321037.png
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/10/season-6-episode-23-where-apple-lies.html

Will still air on Discovery Family channel this week regular time in North America most likely.

As for the season finale still a-go to air. Only one way to find out, I'll be awake at midnight to see if it's still happening.

Wow, that's actually quite nice of Tinypop to reply. Still we get to see it in a few days.

Turns out it was a dud but for specific reasons according to what Tiny Pop said. It will eventually air in the U.K. but it seems there might be some changes made to remove any references to cider because of how it's viewed as alcoholic. Different countries have their different customs so we must respect that even if cider is appropriate to mention in a show like MLP.

:sunset:

I like non-alcoholic cider. (I don't do alcohol. Too many issues with it on my dad's side of the family.) I need to remember to pick up a jug next time I'm at Wal-Mart.

This is easily Dave Rapp's best episode he has written in the series as it completely blows his two previous episodes away. Got to give credit and partial credit to Dave Rapp and Meghan McCarthy respectively on this episode.

It's a simple idea of how AJ learns why lying is bad woven into a very effective story where not only we get to see Teen AJ struggle to handle being honest while lying to ensure her dependability is not ruined. We also get to see great insight into other characters that are obvious such as Big Mac's  blunt speech mannerisms before and Filthy Rich's earnestly trying to earn a good reputation, and more nuanced stuff such as how Derpy may have gotten her lazy eyes from a possible failed eye surgery in the background that others can pick up on and use for their own stories or headcanons.

This is easily AJ's best outing this season and I'm happy to see this episode turn out as it did for her.

It's at least a B for me right now and it probably can push for B+- A if more thought is placed on this episode.

This was a fine episode to me. Absolutely enjoyed Applejack, but I think that Big Mac's part in it was kinda... I don't know... Forced? I didn't really see things the way he did in the end when he decided he should stop talking, but I get the idea.

Here are a few things that I want to know more about: what Big Mac was talking about trees, his cutie mark and his... I forgot the name of that thing in his neck. What happened to Derpy. And what happened to the "butthurt" pony. I guess he was complaining about Celestia...

Finally, the moral of this episode is that censorship is a pretty stupid thing. And completely pointless, because there is the internet.

This was an interesting episode. 

Spoiled Milk is Spoiled Rich's maiden name. Yey, I learned something new! Big Mac speaking a TON in the flashback was awesome, and it makes his lack of speaking make sense (at least at the end of the episode) I spent a majority of the episode trying to spot younger characters in the background. I found Derpy, Cheerilee, Mrs. Cake, and a reference to The Shining. Of course we didn't see the parents. Go fig.

I was both laughing and cringing at how Applejack was doing everything she could to get out of her little white lie, yet she only made the problem worse by talking. I was surprised at how much Big Mac was talking considering he's usually the quiet type. Was what happened to him in this episode responsible for his wanting to be more silent and respond with his usual Eeyups and Nopes?

16 minutes ago, BasementPony16 said:

Does that mean that AJ's honesty doesn't come from her heart, but from a traumatic experience like this story?

I wouldn't really call it traumatic, that's sort of an overstatement. Certainly a lesson, but she wouldn't be getting PTSD from it.

Really it would come down more to maturity with this episode in being a factor in her development as a pony.

21 minutes ago, BasementPony16 said:

Does that mean that AJ's honesty doesn't come from her heart, but from a traumatic experience like this story?

People learn that lying is bad. They don't "know instinctively". The way I see it, the important thing is that she understood that being honest is good because lying creates problems and being truthful is liberating in that light.

I've seen other stories where the whole moral is so mishandled that the character looks like it decided that lying is bad because being honest is more advantageous.

So we don't see Applebloom in the flashback, so it's safe to assume she wasn't born yet. This means the parents would have been alive. I still believe that Big Mac is traumatized from their parent's death, hence why he's so quiet.

4 hours ago, WonkyStallion said:

Spoiled Milk is Spoiled Rich's maiden name.

My (extremely vulgar) head canon... destroyed! :gonkity:

I did have something confirmed, though. We've never actually seen Filthy Rich portrayed as a villain or typically amoral greedsack, and this episode really kind of cements him as "not a jerk." Sure he made a rash threat when he thought his supplier couldn't deliver, but he was also brand new to being in charge.

I liked the tightness of this episode. We get to see Filthy Rich bend over backwards to stay in Granny Smith's good graces on the cider front at the beginning, and AJ's story eventually shows us he has good reasons besides just treating his best supplier of a best selling product well. The fact that Applebloom makes the same mistake as Applejack, thinking she could buy time with a lie to make things right, highlights another parallel. In one episode we got the origin of AJ's honest streak and Big Macintosh's quiet streak, fleshed out the relationship between Sweet Apple Acres and Barnyard Bargains, quite possibly why Derpy's eyes are only sometimes derp, call-backs to previous Apple family episodes in the Zap Apple Jam AND the cider, and learned a valuable lesson about friendship. 

By the way, cider really does have a short shelf-life and starts to 'spoil' (AKA ferment) within a few days of being pressed, especially without refrigeration.

1268195__safe_applejack_screencap_animat

8 minutes ago, ABronyAccount said:

My (extremely vulgar) head canon... destroyed! :gonkity:

o_O Go on...

9 minutes ago, ABronyAccount said:

I did have something confirmed, though. We've never actually seen Filthy Rich portrayed as a villain or typically amoral greedsack, and this episode really kind of cements him as "not a jerk."

Yeah, Filthy Rich never came off as that to me. His fiancee/wife, though...total bitch.

Interesting episode, but not quite what we were after.  In fact, the episode raises more questions than it answers.

Where are the parents?  Where is Apple Bloom?  It's easy to say that, well, the parents are out of town, and Apple Bloom hasn't been born yet, but then why are Applejack and Big Mac arguing over which of them is going to run Sweet Apple Acres?  If the parents are alive, wouldn't they be Granny Smith's successor?

As for Apple Bloom, this opens up a whole kettle of fish - if the parents are dead, then who are her parents?  Is she adopted?  Maybe we'll see that question addressed in Season 7.  

Or did Big Mac/Applejack/Apple Bloom's mother die in childbirth?  And even if she did, that doesn't explain what happened to their father.  

Nice seeing Filthy Rich as a good guy after seeing him as a dick in Legends of Everfree.

Oh come on, Applebloom, you should know better than to try lying to the Element of Honesty.

Mac's rebellious hair still looks great on him. I'm split whether that or his usual hairdo looks best.

Spoiled Milk can go fuck herself.

Hey, AJ's impulsive just like Applebloom.

It's nice seeing how much AJ and Mac have grown up since this episode.

Mac layin' down the beatdown on AJ. We don't see enough of him laying it out like that.

I wanna hear about his yoke.

I wanna hear the rest of his cutie mark story, too.

Keep piling those lies up, AJ. Your uppance is coming.

Come on, Mac. Just drop some truth bombs on Granny Smith.

AJ's plan for Mac to disguise as Granny Smith is perfectly flawless.

Broken horn pone. Looks painful.

The origin of Derpy's derp eyes.

That bonesaw looks brutal.

And the uppance has come.

Applebloom's first lesson is pretty nice.