Sign in to follow this  
Friendship is Horses

EQD Artist Training Grounds 2018

Equestria Daily is holding another Newbie Artist Training Grounds (talent optional) starting on July 23rd! I've been drawing for a while, but I still love to take part in these. Every day you get a prompt and create a new piece of MLP fan art, then submit it to the site to be posted the following day in a mass celebration of our saccharine subculture. And you can post your flailings here, too! That's what the thread is for. So do it! DO IT.

:pinkyhappy:

First!

only_eight_weeks_until_spring__atg_2018_

she got frozed to the ground.

For the longest time I didn't want to buy artist quality colored pencils because I've got sixty billion colors of Crayola ones and I like having, say, ten different blues to choose from when I want a blue. But man, look at those vivid hues! These pencils I bought today are my new best friend. Sorry, Frank.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Friendship is Horses said:

well don't everypony post all at once

I didn't draw yesterday, after at 13 hour shift I tried something new. I had a sleep. It was not bad. I think I'll do that again sometime.

@ABronyAccount Are you also doing the ATG this year? I was hoping that more people would join in, instead of this being My Drawthread 2: My Art's Over Here Now.

Speaking of which:

out_of_character__atg_2018__by_friendshi

I have no idea if this looks as bad to everyone else as it does to me, but quality is beside the point! We create! We share! We pony!

• Like 1

I think the fundamental mistake was relying too heavily on human-shaped anatomy as a guide for the pose, and especially trying to be slavish to it in places. Loosening up and going with more gesture-based draftsmanship would probably yield better results.

Speaking of which I'd better get back to OUCH AUGH OW OW OW WHY DID I PICK DAYDREAM SHIMMER FOR MY FIRST ACTUAL DRAWING IN AN ACTUAL YEAR OH GOD MY ART-MUSCLES

*edit 52 minutes later*

THE DEED IS DONE

_natg8d1__daydream_sketcher_by_abronyacc

I drew the first day's theme late. I'll try and do something for today's theme now. Believe it or not I'm walking on air humans are easier than ponies for me right now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ABronyAccount said:

I think the fundamental mistake was relying too heavily on human-shaped anatomy as a guide for the pose, and especially trying to be slavish to it in places. Loosening up and going with more gesture-based draftsmanship would probably yield better results.

I concur! It is weird to see a horse throwing a punch in any case. She ought to be coiling up for a rearward kick, as equines do. That wouldn't look nearly as badass from the victim's perspective, though. Just a big ol' horse butt, and then POW! Lights out.

I feel the same way, but at some point this is going to have to give with my crazy mixed-up schedule. I have to be at work by 8am tomorrow and it's already 20 'til midnight. I'd like to draw earlier in the day (when possible) but old habits die hard. For years I used to leave my entries to the ATG Alumni group to the last minute, so now I get all my creativity in short bursts around 9-ish.

Anyway, have a picture of Discord driving Twilight nuts!

_natg8d3__smack_talk_by_abronyaccount-dc

Yes, it's crap. It was basically an unholy mess until the last 20 minutes. Still, I do like the freedom and flexibility I get from sticking with sketches instead of trying for my traditional full-finished pieces. Gives me a lot more wiggleroom with the lines and such.

So, okay, I'm taking a personal day. There's a makeup day coming up so I'll do this prompt then. I'm still 100% in this, just... not today. Too much else to do, and I could half-ass something but my heart wouldn't be in it. Art without heart is just... making marks on a surface.

I'm still going to do all the prompts, I PROMISE. I haven't petered out! Just, some of them are going to be late. This week in particular. The machine I rely on to do my job is all kinds of effed-up right now, so my life is: work until Forever loops back around, go home, stare at the ceiling and cry quietly, sleep, repeat. I just haaaaad to go with the English major in college. Could have been an engineer, but nooo, math is soulless and knows nothing of the human condition, I'm going to be a famous author immediately because I'm just bursting with ideas and full of talent, dreams are easy to achieve!

Cheer up, FiH. You'll taste that defeat one of these days!
That guy up there looks almost as bad off as this guy down here.

_natg8d7__edgy_by_abronyaccount-dcio2ll.

So I've got a day off tomorrow. Will I wisely spend it getting 4 prompts done? Or will I fritter away another handful of hours from the few allotted me to leave my mark in this expansive and doomed Universe, like I have so many others?

• Like 1

Good heavens, that circular gradient! SPOILER THAT PLEASE!?!?

All I did was a partial thing. A mashup based solely on a single superficial similarity between a title and the prompt. And I ran out of steam about 30 minutes through so it may never get finished. But here's the doing that I did:

_natg8d8__twily_muyo_in_love___wip__by_a

I'll probably go quiet for a few days. Minimum 50 hours this week plus whatever extra I need to rack up at the end of each day. Still going to try to grab a moment when I can, if not to participate then at least to comment/like/subscribe.

• Like 1

And then I did today's prompt. In color. Lots of art today.

valuable_artifact__atg_2018__by_friendsh

By "in color", I of course mean, "mainly consisting of a hundred small variations on brown and gray". Seriously, look at all the earth tones in this thing.

It's day 10 so I finally drew a thing for Day 4!

_natg8d4__transformational_by_abronyacco

Ripped from the headlines of my life! I feel so candid. This is liberating! Let me tell you all about my recent problems with wet socks...

• Like 1

_natg8d10_makeup__wakeup_to_makeup_by_ab

I have made a joke upon the wording of the prompt for day 10. It is very clever. Only a twelfth-level intellect has the slightest hope of surviving the joke you are about to experience.

• Like 1

@ABronyAccount Inexpertly applied make-up or not, waking up in bed with Rainbow Dash is a good start to the day.

I too have made more drawings for the drawings pile.

twiggle_sprinkle_reads_teh_book__atg_201

And, behold! My finest creation to date:

poni_party__atg_2018__by_friendshipishor

It's hard to see Fluttershy because she is yellow, and yellow is notoriously difficult to make out on a white background. It kind of works, though, doesn't it? Since she's a wallflower, and is just sort of existing in the background of the party. Hanging out by the refreshment table was always my go-to move as well. Parties aren't for everyone.

• Like 1