Steamworks

S6 - Episode 25 - Discussion (US airing October 22)

Where to watch:
(Some of the pages have the episode title in them already. If you can't bear to even know that, you should probably avoid them until it's time for the episode.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/4c13r3/mlpfim_season_6_episode_streams/

(Where The Apple Lies and Top Bolt are airing as a run up to the new episode.)

DailyMotion:

YouTube:

Just watched it. I was pleasantly surprised at what I saw, to be honest. Some points:

1. I love the opening scene with Derpy being a mailmare! Thank you for this, Hasbro & staff
  2. I'm officially now a Trixie fan. I really enjoyed her dialogue, characterization, and interaction with Starlight in Part 1
  3. This episode seems to hopefully be setting up a large-scale ensemble of characters who don't always get the spotlight, or haven't been seen in awhile. It's exciting to see
  4. It was nice to see Discord, and Queen Chryssy and her Changelings again
  5. The only main complaint I have with Part 1 is the fact that Starlight chose Trixie over Twilight to go to town with her despite all that Twilight has done for her. It's feels a bit insulting to Twilight to be set to the side like that after all she did to help Starlight, but its possible this'll be brought up again in Part 2

My gosh, it actually happened the absolute madmen did it. Part 1 did air and /mlp/ is going nuts of whom stayed up to watch it and be surprised or disappointed. Thankfully it was the former. Even the correct episode up-next preview before it began! Now I'm hyped for Part 2 without saying anything else simply.

It's amazing to see Trixie back again and discord, I love Trixie's dialogue and Discord's role. I like to see them working together, but they seem to be lacking a few members, maybe a few join up in the next episode?

Someday, I hope this show gets a writer who can write a story about a big villain and doesn't automatically make Celestia and Luna damsels in distress just tog et them out of the way.

Didn't happen in this lousy episode, so maybe next season.

• Like 2

1. I'd probably be more excepting of this episode had Starlight's development had been given a bit more substance. Just move "Every Little Thing She Does" to much earlier in the season, and add a few episodes to the mix. Also, a similar note could have been made about Thorax. I would have liked for "The Times They Are-A Chageling" to have some more interaction with him and Spike.

2. Please don't have the writers redeem Chrysalis. I can live with Starlight being redeemed, but having Chrysalis redeemed is like having Blofeld or The Joker or Tenchi Muyo's Kagato redeemed. It doesn't seem right.

13 minutes ago, WaterPulse said:

1. I'd probably be more excepting of this episode had Starlight's development had been given a bit more substance. Just move "Every Little Thing She Does" to much earlier in the season, and add a few episodes to the mix. Also, a similar note could have been made about Thorax. I would have liked for "The Times They Are-A Chageling" to have some more interaction with him and Spike.

I think the problem is that we really haven't seen much development for Starlgiht, yet this episode opens with Twilight and the others SAYING how much she's changed. 

25 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I think the problem is that we really haven't seen much development for Starlgiht, yet this episode opens with Twilight and the others SAYING how much she's changed. 

Pretty much as honestly they should've taken a page out of Avatar the last airbender and had Starlight go and have an episode with each of the mane 6. It would've helped her immensely if they had done that route instead of confining her development between herself and twilight and spike while the rest of the mane 6 is pushed aside till one episode where they really don't bond at all save for a cheap montage scene.

• Like 1

I already vented out my "opinion" about this episode and got it out of my system. This episode was the typical drivel that happens when MLP goes bad. It's every season finale all over again with the "plot parameter" that now it's the secondary characters (not to call then bad guys reformed before they even deserve it) that save the day. I shouldn't be angry, but DHX ought to have wised up by now.

Since we're down to this level maybe they will finally use Celestia, turning her into a villain and have Flim and Flam save Equestria. I wanna see King Sombra save Equestria too! Weeeeeee!

Man... It's just pitiful the way this cartoon just can't help itself.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

Pretty much as honestly they should've taken a page out of Avatar the last airbender and had Starlight go and have an episode with each of the mane 6. It would've helped her immensely if they had done that route instead of confining her development between herself and twilight and spike while the rest of the mane 6 is pushed aside till one episode where they really don't bond at all save for a cheap montage scene.

It doesn't just have to be the Mane Six. Develop her friendship with Sunburst further, have her try to make friends with her former cult (outside a five second montage), have her interact with other ponies in Ponyville, even have her talk with Luna earlier, do something.

I could go further, but I would rather save that for later.

BTW, I just realized i used 'excepting', instead of 'accepting' in a previous post.

Just now, WaterPulse said:

It doesn't just have to be the Mane Six. Develop her friendship with Sunburst further, have her try to make friends with her former cult (outside a five second montage), have her interact with other ponies in Ponyville, even have her talk with Luna earlier, do something.

I could go further, but I would rather save that for later.

While you do make a point that she could hit it off with other ponies to develop her character more, however I feel that hitting it off with the remane five would've been better considering how we did got an episode that had her trying to interact with them but was astray due to mind control shenanigans which mitigated the effectiveness of that episode. What I suggest would not only give the writers some ample space and idea to develop stories for each of the mane 6 to interact with and bond with Starlight Glimmer, but it would've also been very relevant to the arc of Season 6 too, which I feel didn't do enough of for Starlight to make her change have impact.

• Like 1

I can see that work, but that would mean either expanding Season 6 or dumping some of the weaker episodes. For the latter, I can live without "28 Pranks Later" and I can see some elements of "The Cart Before The Ponies" and "Every Little Thing She Does" be transferred into some of the suggested episodes. Also, take out "A Hearth's Warming Tail" and save that as a Christmas special (but keep it bundled with Season 6).

So far, this finale is pretty lit. Somehow I did find the villain in this episode pretty predictable because of a few episode back before this one. Josh and Mike are doing great at the moment and i hope the second part will be the perfect icing on the cake.

Wonder if Thorax will end up getting the full crystal treatment in the end? Or is his altered appearance a side effect of being fed by love freely shared rather than stolen? Part of me would be highly amused if he ends up facing off with Chrysalis and finding himself stronger than her. Friendship is Magic in this setting after all, and I suspect power granted by love freely given will trump power from stolen love.

56 minutes ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

Honestly I would like to see Chrysalis reformed somehow, taking a long long rout instead. Or Throax destroying her.

Or at least standing up to her and convince her there's another way.

I swear Twi's model has changed again. Maybe it's the SD nature.

You know, Derpy spoke in Legends of Everfree. Surely she can speak now.

Aww, just a nightmare. Would've been nice for it to be reality.

Starlight just burned Twi with Trixie.

"Best friend". Stixie? Trixlight? Whatever it is. Confirmed.

Magical panic attack. Could've gone worse for those others.

"Almost good advice".

Pinkie was being strange even for Pinkie.

Are we in another dream? Eyup. Another dream.

Changelings instead of a dream?

Now a dream.

Ah, Changelings.

How does Starlight know of Chryssy?

What happened to your voice, Chryssy?

With Thorax's changed wings, maybe he's going to lead a splinter faction of Changelings.

Discord instantly goes into go mode at the loss of Flutters. Pretty sure he just voiced every brony's thoughts anytime anything happens to her.

15 hours ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

Honestly I would like to see Chrysalis reformed somehow, taking a long long rout instead. Or Throax destroying her.

That was kinda interesting to see the new form of the changelings. I thought that Chrysalis was going to change too but she just ran away. I guess we have to wait and see if she does or not or get defeated by Throax. LOL  

I really liked seeing Discord being part of the group. XD Good ending for season 6. He so much loves his Fluttershy. <3

1280186__safe_rainbow+dash_pinkie+pie_fl

CHANGELING SPOTTED!

But seriously I'd like to thank the community for making it easy to avoid legit spoilers* despite the 2.5 week lead. Without much effort at all I was able to go in so half-blind that I honestly thought there was some time-travel, erase-Starlight's-history thing going on before the Changeling thing became obvious.

*As opposed to "OMG YOU TOLD US THE TITLE A WEEK EARLY??? SPOYLURZ!!!"

• Like 1

For having heard the second half was shit I got to say I thought it was OK all things considered. But having so long stated that the writing staff should really stop to think about spreading their more adventure-oriented and longer-running finale or opener story arcs over more episodes to better keep plots from having a too "compressed" feeling, I may have went about weighing these with the handicap a two-part story implies per vision.