WanderPony

Why are people so excited for Season 7?

1 hour ago, Metemponychosis said:

You sound humorously close to my mother when I was starting college, talking about how all the evil atheists there would ruin my christian purity and make me an evil atheist like them. She didn't know that I already disagreed with pretty much everything she taught me about religion and then blamed college when I finally got fed up with going to church every sunday, respecting a priest, and generally doing things that I thought was a waste of my time anyway. People watch the cartoon, think about it, reach conclusions and go to places where they can talk about it. In fact, I don't think that I've ever managed to change anyone's opinion on anything ever in the internet.  Talking about the good and the bad is part of enjoying the show.

With that said, I don't like it when I dislike an episode and going to forums and ED's comment section is a good way of finding things to like on that episode, because people likely have seem things I didn't or have other points of view, specially when most people downright revile any form of criticism to the cartoon. The problem is that everything must be lauded as perfect, and the writers praised as the messengers of the Fausticorn, spreading the truth of pony to the masses. This is the moment when anyone saying anything remotely bad about the cartoon is labeled "hater" and should leave the fandom.

We're both talking about two sides of the same coin here. Just don't say that good fans don't go to forums and complain. They complain because they have thoughts about the cartoon that they like, otherwise they wouldn't bother. I know that I wouldn't. And it's not like any of that makes any real difference anyway. Everything still gets praised in the end, the production staff doesn't care about criticism, Hasbro is making money, the producers are making money and people are enjoying the franchise. And some are complaining about complaining. It sounds like "Shut up if you don't like what I like."

I had to read that middle paragraph 3 times to understand what you mean. Let me rephrase myself and try to keep this brief, I don't want another wall of text. 

That was aimed towards OP's rant about people with conflicting opinions or how he never hears anything positive, not about praising the show or any such nonsense. OP's already had a few of these rant / crazy theory threads.

People will complain and criticize just about anything that doesn't fit with what they think should happen, it doesn't matter if you have good intentions or are trying to start shit.

From my own personal observation I've seen that people who aren't aware of or participate a lot in the fandom, but still watch the show, find it more enjoyable than those that have an active presence in the fandom. They take the show for what it is and rarely try to analyze it or overthink what happens in it. A good example of those would be the target demographic, as far as I'm aware I haven't met any little girls who dislike MLP because say Twilight got wings, a big crystal castle or Celestia hasn't done anything this Season. 

Anyway, those that do have an active presence in the fandom often fall victim of the endless arguments about why A is better than B, or why they did X rather than Z etc... Those people tend to become more cynical when watching the show and often look for things they can dislike in an episode. I'm not saying everyone who's criticizing it is overthinking it or just hating for the sake of hating either, many of them put up a very valid point.

At the end of the day, this is a show for little girls meant to sell toys. The product placement has went down over the seasons but it's still there and will probably continue to be there until the show ends. However, a lot of people in the fandom have come to put the show up to a high standard that, obviously, the staff have no intention to try and reach, because it's not their goal. It's a show with pastel colored ponies which is supposed to deliver funny, yet morally educational content for young kids and try to sell some toys while they're at it. Not a deep and expansive world with a complicated narrative, that's not what it's meant to be. If people want to whine about that, then they're free to, but if all they do is whine, then they obviously find nothing enjoyable about the show and might as well just leave.

And, no offence, but your mother sounds like one of those Christian zealot types. Might want to stay away from that one, they're not good for you.

Stop me if you have heard this sentence after a Chicago Cubs fan suffers through a losing season. 

"Next year is the year the Cubs are going to win it all!"

It would likely depend on what aspects of the show people enjoy in general, mixed with the promise of what entices them. For me, there are still unanswered questions in the lore, and character/species backstories that I would like to see revealed. Season six did try new approaches to the narrative (new for this show anyway). I point to the season six finale as a reason for my anticipation of what will come next. I look at the positives of the last season and hope to see more of that and something new. 

"Season seven is the season the writers are going to win it all."

2 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

I had to read that middle paragraph 3 times to understand what you mean.

English is not my first language and it happens sometimes. I'll gladly clarify anything that you didn't understand.

2 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

People will complain and criticize just about anything that doesn't fit with what they think should happen, it doesn't matter if you have good intentions or are trying to start shit.

But how do you know which are which? I mentioned praising, in light of what OP said. To me, it looks like people treat the cartoon exactly like what I said: something above reproach. It's a contrast. How would I know which people are praising the cartoon just because they're "fighting the haters" or because they really do think that the cartoon is perfect?

And even if we can identify these people, why not engage in a conversation if you're in control of your own time to do it?

3 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

From my own personal observation I've seen that people who aren't aware of or participate a lot in the fandom, but still watch the show, find it more enjoyable than those that have an active presence in the fandom. They take the show for what it is and rarely try to analyze it or overthink what happens in it. 

I have changed my opinion based on what people have told me in one of these conversations. People provide different points of view and these can help you like something more. You can now say that the opposite can occur. And honestly, that is the whole point of exchanging ideas to begin with.

A says "I don't like this."

B responds "I do. Because x, y and z."

A then says "This is a good point. I hadn't thought of that."

The problem is that this is rare to see because when people have this mentality that complaining is bad, they see A and think that it's just drama. It doesn't help that A is usually surrounded by a bunch of cries of "Hater!" "Leave the fandom if you don't like it."

The bigger problem is that this makes valid criticism even harder to see and take seriously.

A good example of those would be the target demographic, as far as I'm aware I haven't met any little girls who dislike MLP because say Twilight got wings, a big crystal castle or Celestia hasn't done anything this Season. 

I have. I have two cousins to whom I've become the "brony uncle". The little girl said that Applejack's voice in the dubbed version is awful because AJ is supposed to sound like a "texan" and not a hillbilly, so they should've made her sound like a gaucho. She also says that Chrysalis is the dumbest villain MLP has ever had and that Celestia is a moron for not realizing something was up when Twilight could (she assumes that Celestia was a mother figure to Cadance). She also says that Twilight's palace looks like a frozen wart in Ponyville and should be in the Crystal Empire. When her slightly older brother says that he liked Twilight better as an unicorn, she defends Twilicorn like a point of honor because it was the point of the whole third season to show that she should be a princess. She also used to complain that ponies never treated Twilight like a princess and that Rarity is like "those girls that marry the rich guy".

Children have brains too and they create opinions. It was the whole reason why Lauren Faust wanted a cartoon with a good, strong female cast that wasn't a waste of animation. This is what brought bronies to like the cartoon too. It good and beautiful.

At the end of the day, this is a show for little girls meant to sell toys. The product placement has went down over the seasons but it's still there and will probably continue to be there until the show ends. However, a lot of people in the fandom have come to put the show up to a high standard that, obviously, the staff have no intention to try and reach, because it's not their goal. It's a show with pastel colored ponies which is supposed to deliver funny, yet morally educational content for young kids and try to sell some toys while they're at it. Not a deep and expansive world with a complicated narrative, that's not what it's meant to be.

Are you saying that the cartoon can't have an overarching story because it's trying to sell toys? Or that the production staff can't improve or shouldn't care about it because it's just to sell toys? Sorry, it really seems like that's what you're saying here. And I can't disagree enough with this, specially when the cartoon has improved season after season specially in the animation department.

And, no offence, but your mother sounds like one of those Christian zealot types. Might want to stay away from that one, they're not good for you.

She is. And she'd also be dead in two weeks if I left her.

On 10/8/2016 at 5:02 AM, Vin said:

Go look at the animation/storyline from the first season, and compare the improvements throughout the rest until the 6th. They've improved alot.

Oh I believe it my friend. Time makes improvements for those who try after all.