WanderPony

Why are people so excited for Season 7?

Last time I checked, nearly all of the episodes of Season 6 have been poorly received by fans, with complaints about characterization, merchandise advertisement, the departure of the old writers and replacement with a bunch of new ones who don't know how to write these characters. The previous seasons since Season 3 got this as well, to a lesser extent. It's past the point where I think I'm the only person who still legitimately likes the show.

But when a Season 7 is officially announced, how do you react? "Yay! More pony!"

So, you want MORE blatant merchandise placement, MORE princesses being useless, MORE bad characterization, MORE terrible writers, and MORE of the stuff you hate about the post-Faust era? Why? What happened to "You either die a hero or live to become the villain"? Do you get a sick kick out of seeing your favorite show slowly suffer as Hasbro continues to milk it? Why don't you want it put out of its misery before it rots further?

I know I've brought this up a lot, but old writers being replaced in favor of incompetent newbies? Why does that sound familiar?

Sorry if I sound angry, but this has been bothering me for so long. One minute, someone goes "The new episode sucked, just like the rest of the season!" The next minute, "Hooray! Season 7! Can't wait!"

• Like 1

This is wrong. What you usually hear (or read) are the people complaining because they tend to be more vocal. The majority of the fandom loved this season and the last one.

The fandom isn't on solid homogeneous block.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

This is wrong. What you usually hear (or read) are the people complaining because they tend to be more vocal. The majority of the fandom loved this season and the last one.

The fandom isn't on solid homogeneous block.

Based on viewership numbers, season 6 is the least-watched season of MLP.

And I'd have to find it, but /mlp/ strawpolls of the Anon's ratings for season 6 have been landing in the area that is considered to be average TV, which is a 7 or 8 on a 1-10 rating scale.

Now this isn't any reason for Hasbro to kill the show, but this season hasn't exactly been amazing, nor has it been absolutely shit. But the touch-and-go nature of some of these episodes has left Season 6 floating in mediocrity.

Now on the topic of season 7 hyp: I think it might be optimism for the future and knowledge the ride isn't over yet. The prospects for the show and the current form of the franchise is pretty positive, because it's surviving. But it's also surviving on 'safety', and not in the realm of the top 2% and mostly exists because the pre-existing fans who've been around already and a continuation of the show validates in some or most of us the impact we have in pony's survival.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

Based on viewership numbers, season 6 is the least-watched season of MLP.

And I'd have to find it, but /mlp/ strawpolls of the Anon's ratings for season 6 have been landing in the area that is considered to be average TV, which is a 7 or 8 on a 1-10 rating scale.

Now this isn't any reason for Hasbro to kill the show, but this season hasn't exactly been amazing, nor has it been absolutely shit. But the touch-and-go nature of some of these episodes has left Season 6 floating in mediocrity.

Now on the topic of season 7 hyp: I think it might be optimism for the future and knowledge the ride isn't over yet. The prospects for the show and the current form of the franchise is pretty positive, because it's surviving. But it's also surviving on 'safety', and not in the realm of the top 2% and mostly exists because the pre-existing fans who've been around already and a continuation of the show validates in some or most of us the impact we have in pony's survival.

What do you want to see happen in season 7?

@AaronMkIs that so? I didn't know that... I guess it makes sense. I did like season 6, actually more than I did season 5. So it makes sense to me. Really enjoyed the TED presentation too.

I do feel optimist about the future of the show, but then again, I was present at the beginning and did enjoy season 6.

Just now, Metemponychosis said:

@AaronMkIs that so? I didn't know that... I guess it makes sense. I did like season 6, actually more than I did season 5. So it makes sense to me. Really enjoyed the TED presentation too.

I do feel optimist about the future of the show, but then again, I was present at the beginning and did enjoy season 6.

When you deal with opinion ratings you tend to average things out to get a picture of the whole. Whether or not an individual agrees with the ratings - whether they're too high or too low - doesn't matter since it's supposed to be a portrait of the larger picture, individual date-points don't hardly matter since they're not the central fulcrum the over-all data set rests on.

But based on what I remember about the straw-poll, the data suggests Season 6 was pretty average. I'll need to see if data anon is back or not, or if there's a poll representing a much larger sample of the fandom.

Season 3 was overall the worst season when it aired, and then we had a strong return in seasons 4 and 5. Even venerable classics like Deep Space Nine and The Next Generation had bad seasons. Never stopped me from wanting more. 

53 minutes ago, WanderPony said:

Last time I checked, nearly all of the episodes of Season 6 have been poorly received by fans, with complaints about characterization, merchandise advertisement, the departure of the old writers and replacement with a bunch of new ones who don't know how to write these characters. The previous seasons since Season 3 got this as well, to a lesser extent. It's past the point where I think I'm the only person who still legitimately likes the show.

But when a Season 7 is officially announced, how do you react? "Yay! More pony!"

So, you want MORE blatant merchandise placement, MORE princesses being useless, MORE bad characterization, MORE terrible writers, and MORE of the stuff you hate about the post-Faust era? Why? What happened to "You either die a hero or live to become the villain"? Do you get a sick kick out of seeing your favorite show slowly suffer as Hasbro continues to milk it? Why don't you want it put out of its misery before it rots further?

I know I've brought this up a lot, but old writers being replaced in favor of incompetent newbies? Why does that sound familiar?

Sorry if I sound angry, but this has been bothering me for so long. One minute, someone goes "The new episode sucked, just like the rest of the season!" The next minute, "Hooray! Season 7! Can't wait!"

Sure I'm not a fan of Season 6 and others can say the same, but there have been many more who enjoyed this season and there are many more will be content to know that pony will continue with more chances at getting more good episodes and enjoyment out of it.

This show primary purpose is to serve as a advertisement for Hasbro's MLP toys. It has always been the case since day one of it's inception and will continue to be throughout it's lifespan. As for Hasbro continuing to milk it, honestly I've hardly noticed anything different as they typically incorporate an idea of hasbro for their toyline and either put it as a side note or make use of it when they need it.

Yes it does, however not everyone will experience the same and things can change for the better or the worse as we fear. We just got to wait and see what they have in season 7 and how they can fix season 6's mistakes.

No worries, I understand your concern and anger at the folks, but I feel it's a matter for the hope for better stuff than blind optimism in all cases.

While it didn't surpass Season 5 as my favorite, I certainly have enjoyed Season 6. Why are you getting so hung up about the vocal critics? The fandom's getting older and more picky. This may well just be another rough patch like Season 3 was. (Which was another season that had a lot of criticized episodes.)

eh...it may not be the most watched, but some of the episodes in Season 6 were considered very good, great even. I'm excited for season 7, because, well...more of our gals. Even in a "bad" episode, they're still able to eek out some good entertainment, with their powerful acting skills. That's me at least.

• Like 3

Season 6 was basically a presentation of how the show is improving. Clearly people would be excited for the next season, even if this season wasn't the most watched.

They expect more pony.:hurrr:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vin said:

Season 6 was basically a presentation of how the show is improving. Clearly people would be excited for the next season, even if this season wasn't the most watched.

They expect more pony.:hurrr:

I thought it was G4 entirely?

What about the reaction to the finale? I can find very few people who liked it. Most of the reaction has been "meh" at best, even though I liked it.

The last well-received two-parter I can remember was Twilight's Kingdom. And I just know that the S7 opener and finale are going to be just as hated as the previous ones.

Just now, WanderPony said:

What about the reaction to the finale? I can find very few people who liked it. Most of the reaction has been "meh" at best, even though I liked it.

The last well-received two-parter I can remember was Twilight's Kingdom. And I just know that the S7 opener and finale are going to be just as hated as the previous ones.

I didn't mind the last one and all I know of the Finale of this one is that Chrysalis makes a return.

3 minutes ago, Galacter said:

I didn't mind the last one and all I know of the Finale of this one is that Chrysalis makes a return.

I want to see her back with Red eyes, bigger, more evil, cruel, working with Tirek and other new villains as they wreak havoc, then everyone gets captured and King Sombra comes back and saves everyone, reforms, and casts Chrysalis, Tirek and the others to Tartarus.  

Just now, StarlightGlimmer said:

I want to see her back with Red eyes, bigger, more evil, cruel, working with Tirek and other new villains as they wreak havoc, then everyone gets captured and King Sombra comes back and saves everyone, reforms, and casts Chrysalis, Tirek and the others to Tartarus.  

That description makes it seem like the rating should be bumped up to a higher level in that particular case.

15 minutes ago, WanderPony said:

Really? I was under the impression that the reception for the last one on Equestria Daily was very good. But then I'm the one that said that the fandom still likes the cartoon as it did in the past... So maybe I'm wrong.

Personally, the only finales I like are the gala one and MMC. The rest I don't like, with the exception of season 5, which I despise. This last one, is just bad to me.

I liked Trixie in it, and I kinda like Thorax as the king (as far as I still think that he, in itself, is an awful character). But those are literally only good things I can take from the finale. And I wanted to impale Celestia when she spoke in the end...

But I was just angry at my frustration with the episode. That should give a good idea of how I felt about the finale.

Edited by Metemponychosis
Tagging spoilers

3 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

Really? I was under the impression that the reception for the last one on Equestria Daily was very good. But then I'm the one that said that the fandom still likes the cartoon as it did in the past... So maybe I'm wrong.

Personally, the only finales I like are the gala one and MMC. The rest I don't like, with the exception of season 5, which I despise. This last one, is just bad to me. I liked Trixie in it, and I kinda like Thorax as the king (as far as I still think that he, in itself, is an awful character). But those are literally only good things I can take from the finale. And I wanted to impale Celestia when she spoke in the end... But I was just angry at my frustration with the episode. That should give a good idea of how I felt about the finale.

First of all, spoilers.

Secondly, you sound like one of the people I'm talking about. The people who constantly bash every single episode, and yet want to see more.

Just now, WanderPony said:

First of all, spoilers.

Secondly, you sound like one of the people I'm talking about. The people who constantly bash every single episode, and yet want to see more.

Well, you asked. So I thought it was okay. I'll see if I edit it out.

But I'm not. I love many episodes in this very season, i think that most of them are very good, but I have a very strong opinion about some episodes. Most of them finales. And mostly because I don't think that MLP works very well with the kinds of stories they try to tell.

6 hours ago, Galacter said:

I thought it was G4 entirely?

Go look at the animation/storyline from the first season, and compare the improvements throughout the rest until the 6th. They've improved alot.

I think some people want more seasons because they enjoy criticizing the episodes. If there were no more episodes, they'd miss complaining about them.

For others, it's because they still like MLP, and even "bad" MLP is better than no MLP.

To be honest, I'm excited for season 7 just for three reasons:

1-Chance of getting a Celestia episode

2-Chance of Sunset Shimmer appearing on the show

3-More pony in general! (No matter how good/bad a season is, they always deliver at least two or three good episodes)

I get how you feel about the show getting milked to the point of "living enough to become a villain." I would've liked the show to end already so it could've "died a hero" but if the show is getting more episodes no matter what I do, I might as well just embrace it and watch the upcoming episodes or ask people for recommendations on just the best episodes of the season. I truly hope next season brings a lot of good episodes with it!

On 10/8/2016 at 1:27 AM, WanderPony said:

Okay, first of all, if you don't like where the show is headed or how it's being handled:

, MjAxMy0wNzhjN2M2ODI1ZjQxNGYy_51dd76461b5

Now that that's out of the way...

As long as enough people watch something there will always be a vocal part who will criticize anything that goes even slightly different than what they expect.

I've seen very little "Blatant merchandise placement" this season compared to the previous three. The only real cases of merch placement there have been this season have been:

Flurry Heart, Starlight Glimmer, and possibly the new Changeling's design.

The only real new merch we've got this entire year has been Flurry, Guardians of Harmony (which by all means has about as much impact on the show as IDW's comics) and the EQG Minies. 

Drama over staff changes, on the other hand, is just stupid and only proves people have nothing better to do than bash the show's creators because they don't like something. It's only natural that staff on a show changes, people get tired and need a break, they find new jobs that pay better or offer better creative freedoms, etc... If you've been working on the same show for 6 years, you'd probably be tired of it as well. It's only normal that new blood needs to be brought in. It's to be expected that these new writers need time to adapt to the show, it's characters and style. 

There are plenty of people out there who legitimately like the show. Those types usually keep to themselves and rarely visit sites like EQD or these Forums, content with simply enjoying the show. Everyone normally starts as this type of person and their exposure to sites like this or EQD's comments section (which contain lots of opinions) progressively taints their views. They stop enjoying what they previously liked and instead focus on petty arguments and complaining about why things are different.

Why is it that every post I make in this sub-forum ends up being a wall of text?! :applebelch:

2 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

There are plenty of people out there who legitimately like the show. Those types usually keep to themselves and rarely visit sites like EQD or these Forums, content with simply enjoying the show. Everyone normally starts as this type of person and their exposure to sites like this or EQD's comments section (which contain lots of opinions) progressively taints their views. They stop enjoying what they previously liked and instead focus on petty arguments and complaining about why things are different.

You sound humorously close to my mother when I was starting college, talking about how all the evil atheists there would ruin my christian purity and make me an evil atheist like them. She didn't know that I already disagreed with pretty much everything she taught me about religion and then blamed college when I finally got fed up with going to church every sunday, respecting a priest, and generally doing things that I thought was a waste of my time anyway. People watch the cartoon, think about it, reach conclusions and go to places where they can talk about it. In fact, I don't think that I've ever managed to change anyone's opinion on anything ever in the internet.  Talking about the good and the bad is part of enjoying the show.

With that said, I don't like it when I dislike an episode and going to forums and ED's comment section is a good way of finding things to like on that episode, because people likely have seem things I didn't or have other points of view, specially when most people downright revile any form of criticism to the cartoon. The problem is that everything must be lauded as perfect, and the writers praised as the messengers of the Fausticorn, spreading the truth of pony to the masses. This is the moment when anyone saying anything remotely bad about the cartoon is labeled "hater" and should leave the fandom.

We're both talking about two sides of the same coin here. Just don't say that good fans don't go to forums and complain. They complain because they have thoughts about the cartoon that they like, otherwise they wouldn't bother. I know that I wouldn't. And it's not like any of that makes any real difference anyway. Everything still gets praised in the end, the production staff doesn't care about criticism, Hasbro is making money, the producers are making money and people are enjoying the franchise. And some are complaining about complaining. It sounds like "Shut up if you don't like what I like."