Havocbyte

What were you into before you became a Brony/Pegasister?

Four months before I became a Pegasister. (I started watching MLP in July 2014.) I was into the Disney movie Frozen like most people. (Around the time when it was released on Blu-Ray.)  I would listen to the song "Let It Go" on repeat until I got tired of it. Then I discovered a YouTube channel called "Bin's Toy Bin" and on that day my life changed.

I was also into the video game Portal at the time. 

• Like 1

For the most part I was into the same things I'm still into now in being a warhammer 40k fan as I was gelling with the fandom than and I especially am into video game culture and stuff about it.

When I found MLP I was in college. I was studying medicine and that didn't leave me a lot of free time, but I was very antisocial and that actually gave me some free time because I didn't go to meetings, my itinerary was classes to home and then classes, hospital to home and finally I spent most of my time at home or at the educational hospital.

I used up my free time with videogames and sci-fi stuff, mostly Star Trek, Star Wars, Warhammer 40k and some animes. Most of the time I would be lurking in forums and the sort or writing a "novel" about the "Silvery Lady", an artificially engineered deity and the story itself had influences from all over. Then I found MLP and before I knew it people were asking me why there was a picture of an stylized sun in my phone.

30 minutes ago, Havocbyte said:

Four months before I became a Pegasister. (I started watching MLP in July 2014.) I was into the Disney movie Frozen like most people. (Around the time when it was released on Blu-Ray.)  I would listen to the song "Let It Go" on repeat until I got tired of it. Then I discovered a YouTube channel called "Bin's Toy Bin" and on that day my life changed.

I was also into the video game Portal at the time. 

Mainly a Gamer, still am really.

• Like 1

Welp, I was (and still am, mind you!) into a lot of things, such as but not limited to:

AIRSHIPS

Videogames

DOC WHO-MAN?

FALLOUT

MECHS (The nice and chunky ones from MechWarrior, though)

FIREFLY

Even though I loved these things, they just weren't the same with MLP. I wasn't really in any fandom or anything, though it would've been cool! But pones? Man, everything was just right! Nice beats, nice fics, nice memes, and a sense of overall joy. And that's partially why I think I gravitated towards ponies so much, the fun! It's a world where you're spouse could get killed while on a stroll through town square, but it's still kind and happy. It feels "right" to me! Like, yeah, there are talking hoarses and they're silly, and that's just what I need! Makes me feel all warm inside ^^
And though I didn't really join the fandom until later on, I still loved the show and occasionally even went into the then unknown territory known as a "fandom" in the beginning.
Honestly, I am in no ways a social person. (Huge surprise, huh?) I like to keep to myself and not poke in too much, mostly out of fear! Even on the internet, damn it! But this thing? This pone-train? I just had to get on! This was the only stop it was making for me, so I wasn't going to miss a damn thing! There was just so much going for it for me to not get on! And I really appreciate all that happened as a result. No, I'm still a nervous wreck, bad with people, and overall terrified. But I really did meet a heck of a lot of friends and did a lot of things that I'd be too timid to do if it wasn't pony!

tl;dr

I like colorful horses best

I was mostly into my studies, playing videogames and watching anime as much I could.

Nowdays, I'm still studying (but in college) and still playing video games, but a lot less. The most that I changed when becoming a brony, was that I fully entered into animation (pretty much everything related to it).

If you mean the exact time when I discovered mlp, well, I was trying a lot of mmorpg, just bored going around the internet.

1 hour ago, Lunar Holiday said:

Welp, I was (and still am, mind you!) into a lot of things, such as but not limited to:

AIRSHIPS

Videogames

DOC WHO-MAN?

FALLOUT

MECHS (The nice and chunky ones from MechWarrior, though)

FIREFLY

Even though I loved these things, they just weren't the same with MLP. I wasn't really in any fandom or anything, though it would've been cool! But pones? Man, everything was just right! Nice beats, nice fics, nice memes, and a sense of overall joy. And that's partially why I think I gravitated towards ponies so much, the fun! It's a world where you're spouse could get killed while on a stroll through town square, but it's still kind and happy. It feels "right" to me! Like, yeah, there are talking hoarses and they're silly, and that's just what I need! Makes me feel all warm inside ^^
And though I didn't really join the fandom until later on, I still loved the show and occasionally even went into the then unknown territory known as a "fandom" in the beginning.
Honestly, I am in no ways a social person. (Huge surprise, huh?) I like to keep to myself and not poke in too much, mostly out of fear! Even on the internet, damn it! But this thing? This pone-train? I just had to get on! This was the only stop it was making for me, so I wasn't going to miss a damn thing! There was just so much going for it for me to not get on! And I really appreciate all that happened as a result. No, I'm still a nervous wreck, bad with people, and overall terrified. But I really did meet a heck of a lot of friends and did a lot of things that I'd be too timid to do if it wasn't pony!

tl;dr

I like colorful horses best

Way too many to count for you Pink One. We'll just say all of the above. ;)

• Like 1

If the username doesn't give it away, I was (and obviously still am) an absolute fanatic of the Homeworld series. So basically, before MLP, and after MLP.

And I suppose a whole bunch of other games. TF2, Skyrim are notable examples.

Is was into cars and EDM... still am, but to a lesser extent.  Some gaming here and there, Star Wars, Star Trek (not as much as my brother), LOTR...

As far as communities though?  I would have called myself a furry.  Then a topic in a forum dared people to watch just one MLP episode before knocking it was posted.  Well since season one's first episode is actually two... I watched those and the the rest is history.

I'll go ahead and do my whole life. The ones in bold are the most important ones:

1991 - Herbie (The Love Bug), The Brave Little Toaster

1992 - '50s music, particularly Little Richard and Chuck Berry

1993 - Aladdin, Animaniacs

1994 and 1995 - Nintendo games (especially Zelda, Mario, and Mega Man), The Lion King

1996 - Toy Story, Pocahontas

1997 - Star Trek, The Hunchback of Notre Dame

1999 - Stargate

2012 - Ponies

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, and those are just my entertainment-based interests. I didn't include any of my other interests/hobbies.

I actually am still a fan of all of these things. When I become obsessed with something, it usually lasts a lifetime-- though the interest can wax and wane in strength.

And yes, I really didn't become a fan of anything new between 1999 and 2012. Ponies are my first new obsession in a very long time.

I was a big fan of cartoons in general, and I still am. If we're talking about something specific, there was a time before getting into MLP when I was a big fan of Phineas and Ferb. It wasn't MLP that changed that. I think I just got burned out because when my interest in it peaked in 2011/12, I went out of my way to watch it whenever it was on, even if I just saw the episode that was airing. Eventually, it got to the point where I only watched new episodes and reruns if nothing else was on. I got into MLP in 2013, and unlike Phineas and Ferb, I haven't gone out of my way to watch it whenever it's on (except when I first got into it, but that's a little different). And I think I've recovered at least some from my PnF burnout. I've been watching reruns more since the finale (probably helps that it's been at least half of what Disney XD has been airing lately).

Before pony, I was a HUGE Adventure Time fan. I loved that show so much at the time. Before AT, it was Super Mario. Since 2014, it's been Ponies, but recently, I've also adopted Star Wars.

Pony is the first actual fandom in which I've participated.
I'd always enjoyed Tolkien, Lovecraft, Trek, and Star Wars among others, being a fan of both and being a "creative" type I'd generate my own characters and stories for my own amusement. Even do some "collecting" for some of them. But I didn't really make it a community thing.

Well...

Adventure Time, Futurama, Ugly Americans, American Dad, Black Dynamite, The Boondocks, The Amazing World of Gumball (I think that's the correct name...), and various others. I was into all these at different but sometimes intersecting times from late 2010 to 2012, and some crossed over with my love of ponies. Meaning, I liked them at the same time, of course. However, in 2012, when my friend introduced me to ponies, EVERYTHING changed!

Nothing, really. I started watching pony during the summer of 2012, wasn't part of any fandoms until this one. 

Only title you could have slapped on me back then would be "just another gamer". Wasn't really into watching a lot of shows back then, the only ones I had really watched much of were the Cartoon Network classics. You know, PPG, Foster's, Samurai Jack, Courage the Cowardly Dog, etc...

PC gaming mostly. In fact, that's still a big part of my free time. I guess the only fandom I was even partially involved in prior to pony was Zoids. My college room had no less than a dozen models guarding the door and window for about three years. Just recently bought a HMM Liger to get back into building and the next step is getting the wife hooked on the series like I did with MLP.

On 10/8/2016 at 1:37 AM, hiigaran said:

If the username doesn't give it away, I was (and obviously still am) an absolute fanatic of the Homeworld series. So basically, before MLP, and after MLP.

And I suppose a whole bunch of other games. TF2, Skyrim are notable examples.

Definitely The Elder Scrolls phenomenon..