Havocbyte

What were you into before you became a Brony/Pegasister?

I'm into lots of things, but the only thing I was into before MLP that could rival my love of MLP was Star Trek. I have been a Star Trek fan since the tender age of 4 (back in 1984 when you had to watch a TV broadcast when it aired or you'd miss it for a week). Compared to my love of MLP, though, Star Trek pales. I loved Trek for its positive outlook regarding humanity's future. Some years ago, I looked around and saw what we were doing to each other, as humans, and I realized that Star Trek was a fantasy, so I traded one fantasy for another, and found myself uplifted by Friendship is Magic. The first season of MLP is still my favorite, because it pulled me from some very dark places.

• Like 1

I was in the furry fandom for like 6-7 years I think, since after I finished high-school until two years ago when I discovered FiM, and after I'd watched the first 4 seasons in 1 week, I started looking for more until I found EqD, and after being for a while only reading news and comments, I started participating more actively (and being even more obsessed with ponies xD).

And for my likes, they haven't changed between before and after. Though now I hardly ever play PC games, but mostly because I don't have too much free time between working and studying. So now I spend less money in computer hardware and more in MLP comics and books, and soon probably toys and plushies too :P. I've never been such a fan of a TV show before, though I liked The Simpsons and Family Guy (before they became trash), Friends (all of them), The Big Bang Theory (though is not that good now), and I love Star Wars and Back to the Future movies!

• Like 1

Before MLP I was a Pokemon Strategist. I used to put a lot of effort into it, traning them, farm during hours, hatch a thousands of eggs to have the really good one… I remember ^^ I was on a famous Pokemon Website and I visited a blog where a guy posted some MLP reviews and meme. I didn't take much attention at first, but when I finished the Winx (… What?) I needed a "good" (a bad actually) show to follow with one eye while I'm farming.

So after a few moments of hesitation I started MLP. 

At first I was "But… It's is good actually!" (I tought it was as bad as the Winx) and I fall in love with the serie in the Bridle Gossip episode. I litteraly CRY with laughter when I heard the Flutterguy's voice xD

And I'm a Brony ever since then ^^

All I really did was hang out with internet friends, listen to music, go to school and other shit before MLP.

I was interested in a few things though, back in the day before MLP:

-WWE, and wrestling in general (stopped watching in 2009, but picked it back up in 2011 and have been watching since).

-Insane Clown Posse (yeah I'm still kind of a Juggalo, I even saw them in late June this year)

-The atheist community (when I was one)

-Heavy metal (still love it, but not much in the scene anymore)

I liked Mega Man (Classic/X/Battle Network except for 4/Zero/ZX... Not Star Force and Legends, but that's only because I never played those) and most Nintendo stuff (especially Kirby), hell platformers in general are my thing. Fighting games too, though I'd never go to a tournament or anything (not nearly good enough). Never enough to try getting involved with a fandom (except Splatoon, for about half a year... that was fun while it lasted), my anxiety always keeps me from doing much of anything (and university took up all of my time for the last few years, so I didn't have time to do much even if I'd wanted to).

Still, I felt like getting involved with pony fandom after getting out of university (as opposed to just lurking... like I did since 2011)... so I post on this forum sometimes, and occasionally EQD's Nightly Discussions, and occasionally write youtube comments. Not really much involvement, but it's more than I usually do.

On 10/13/2016 at 10:03 PM, ScientistDog said:

I was in the furry fandom for like 6-7 years I think, since after I finished high-school until two years ago when I discovered FiM, and after I'd watched the first 4 seasons in 1 week, I started looking for more until I found EqD, and after being for a while only reading news and comments, I started participating more actively (and being even more obsessed with ponies xD).

And for my likes, they haven't changed between before and after. Though now I hardly ever play PC games, but mostly because I don't have too much free time between working and studying. So now I spend less money in computer hardware and more in MLP comics and books, and soon probably toys and plushies too :P. I've never been such a fan of a TV show before, though I liked The Simpsons and Family Guy (before they became trash), Friends (all of them), The Big Bang Theory (though is not that good now), and I love Star Wars and Back to the Future movies!

I never really though of myself as being a member of the furry fandom, though I have been a furry since my senior year in high school when I discovered the work of Dr. Comet (this was back in 1999, and Dr. Comet's work was being distributed between friends using diskettes. Anyone remember those?). They were highly compressed images, so the quality was just subpar, but my heart was stolen. Still, I guess that's different from actually being a part of the furry fandom. Oddly enough, the fandom doesn't interest me that much.

I'm finding as I get older, I play fewer and fewer games. Well, no, I have a LOT of games, but I rarely play them. I have mobile games, console games, PC games, you name it, but I'll only play them briefly and cast them aside. I think it's because the style of games that are made and sold today don't interest me as much as when I was a kid and my parents had bought my brother and I a Nintendo Entertainment System (with Mario Bros., and Duck Hunt!).

That said, like you, no fandom has gripped me as much as the MLP fandom, not even Star Trek, and I wore Spock ears to a school costume party, and brought a toy tricorder, too (I wish I still had that one!). MLP just blows them all away, and I still feel for the show now as I did for the very first episode. I love my sweet, sincere, pastel ponies. ♥

• Like 2

381921_2962831308686_736380815_n.jpg?efg

I was a Fostard; a super fan of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Still am, though the fandom is all but dead since Cartoon Network quit airing reruns. Is it still airing on Boomerang even? Sadly for me, I don't have Boomerang. I only know it's on Hulu+ right now. I had imaginary friends growing up, and this show was so filled with whimsy and nostalgia for me.

My word I loved this show.

And for those who don't know, Foster's is the brain child of Craig McCracken, who also created Power Puff Girls. Craig's married to......

Lauren Faust!

She did a lot of writing and other work on Foster's. It was because I was such a huge fan of them that I first learned Ponies were coming. :chillin:

Before MLP I used to design 3D model for people to use in their art projects or indie games. Mostly I made background scenery and props for science fiction and\or horror.

When found MLP I switched over to writing fan fiction and comics.

Touhou. Lots of Touhou. Touhou music, Touhou animations, Touhou games, Touhou scribbles in my school workbooks, Touhou lore, Touhou fangames...Then for whatever reason some colorful ponies started appearing all over the place and people either loved them or hated them to no end. Decided to have nothing to do with 'em. Then the guy Akr I am subbed to made a "review" of the first two episodes to give his opinion on the show. I liked the premise, so took a breath and hopped in.

It was so much like Touhou I immideately became a fan~ :pinkyhappy:

9f2.png

I was and still am a fan of...

Star Trek

Transformers

Babylon Five

Lord of the Rings

The pre-Disney Star Wars expanded Universe, but only certain series.

GI Joe

Jem and the Holograms

MLP G1

The DCAU.

MLP didn't supplant them. It was added to their ranks.

A lot of stuff honestly.

Mostly stuff like Pokemon, Digimon, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and other video game series. I actually didn't get into Persona until after I became a brony if you can believe that.

Also anime. Lots and lots of anime.

:applejackhate:

• Like 1