Steamworks

S6 - episode 26 - Discussion (US airing October 22)

Where to watch:
(Some of the pages have the episode title in them already. If you can't bear to even know that, you should probably avoid them until it's time for the episode.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/4c13r3/mlpfim_season_6_episode_streams/

(Where The Apple Lies and Top Bolt are airing as a run up to the new episode.)

DailyMotion:

YouTube:

Well, that just happened. Hail King Thorax, new leader of the changelings! Was not expecting that drastic of a redesign of the changelings. I thought the ones who followed him would lose the holes and get sparkly wings, not go all  multi-colored. (I wish they'd toned the colors of Thorax's evolved form down a bit, they're a little clashy.) But it is nice that the redeemed changelings are all unique. They're no longer identical drones.

And Chrysalis will totally be back for round 3 someday. She's going to be nursing quite the grudge for losing her subjects.

*Hasn't watched MLP since the Tirek fight* *Sees huge tumblr rant* The hell did they do... This I've got to-

*Watches*

WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO THE CHANGELINGS! Seriously, it looks like a 4 year old vomited play dough all over the changeling rigs and they decided to use them, they've absolutely wrecked all sorts of good headcanon, they've annihilated what made changelings unique in the first place... They literally ruined an entire RACE for this finale. I'm not normally a critic, but this? I'm usually pretty open minded, but THIS!? This is a slap in the face to literally EVERY changeling headcanon out there, any expanded universe, any OC... Giving love instead of taking it? It's a kids show at heart, but that ass pull is one of the worst I've seen. I could see 'love of my friends' powering up Thorax temporarily, but giving love for a perma transformation into... I don't even know how else to describe those alternate forms. Especially for Thorax, he didn't deserve that.

In my eyes, this one doesn't exist. To hell with episodes like Mare Do Well being the worst, this just easily replaced that. I was willing to accept alicorn Twilight, didn't have a problem with that. I was fine with Flurry Heart, didn't have a problem with that. This ruined an entire race for no reason other then a half assed attempt to make them redeemable... When they didn't need it. They were a perfect set of villians to walk the line, some to be like Thorax, not liking what they have to do to survive and trying to find ways to coexist, the majority being evil love stealing bug ponies. Or desperate with no other options. There's so much that has been done with the changelings that has been awesome in other mediums, and this just screwed all of that. I may have stopped watching the show a while back, but coming back to see this? Kinda makes me glad I stopped. I don't mind a show going on in a new way, I get pissed when they destroy great potential in a stupid way- and they pulled exactly that in my eyes.

Probably the worst finale in the show I have seen. Worfed the mane 6, princesses, shining armor, and Flurry heart by having them all get beaten by changeling mooks! Hell they worfed discord with some inexplicable anti magic stone that somehow was never mentioned before you know when Discord was ruling equestria and the world when he should've noticed such a null zone. Slow pacing in the 2nd only to have Thorax change into some gaudy and rather stupid looking new form that had all the other changelings get reformed via vomiting their stuff out despite all the villainous stuff they have done against ponies. Thank god that Chrysalis refused to reform and has a vendetta against starlight as I would be pissed even more, than it ends suddenly!

I hope DHX is hearing the critiques on this as S6 has been a big dissapointment for me and others and this finale capped off that dissapointment with poor thought given to the writing of it other than they just want to have this story put out no matter how objectively bad or illogical it is.

• Like 4

Another great season brought down by a sub-par finale.   But at least the climax wasn't another big dumb fight, so credit to the episode for that.

I can't wait to see how Celestia and Luna get worfed in season 8. 

New changeling designs are absolutely hideous though.

• Like 1

@The Doctor Taken as it is, I didn't think the finale was that bad. The journey leading up to it, however, was unsatisfying. Had Starlight and Thorax been developed better, it would have been a fine way to close their arcs this season. 

As for the season as a whole, there's still some magic to be found - "The Gift Of The Maud Pie", "On Your Marks!", "Gauntlet Of Fire", parts of "The Crystaling" and "No Second Prances", "Newbie Dash", "The Saddle Row Review", "Applejack's 'Day' Off",  "Flutter Brutter", "Stranger Than Fanficiton", "Dungeons & Discords", "The Fault In Our Cutie Marks", "Viva Las Pegasus". However, for the main arc, I think the writers were trying to do too many things without proper planning - Flurry Heart, Starlight's redemption, Thorax being the successor to the changelings - and, as a result, the main arc hasn't been this big a mess since, yeesh Season 3.

I'm going to sit here and wait for the comments praising this episode. Because the only good things I can say about it is that Trixie was pretty funny and that the changelings look like they came out of their shell. If this wasn't MLP that had plots like "Bats!" and "The Hooffields and the McColts", I would dare to say that it was pretty clever. I mean. I think I'm looking too deeply into the design the marketing department gave them.

Other than that, I'm going to stop telling people that their alicorn OC is bad and that their fanfiction destroyed one character or another. I'm going to write one of my old stupid HiE ideas about the suicidal guy that ends up in Equestria, turns into an alicorn and marries Celestia. She ought to feel flattered because the official material has set a pretty low bar and I, at least, would be giving her something respectable to do in the story. Like ruling a decent country and defending it.

Fausticorn smite me if I ever make Discord unfunny, though. And also thank the Fausticorn that we have normal episodes filling the space between openers and finales.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

Probably the worst finale in the show I have seen. Worfed the mane 6, princesses, shining armor, and Flurry heart by having them all get beaten by changeling mooks! Hell they worfed discord with some inexplicable anti magic stone that somehow was never mentioned before you know when Discord was ruling equestria and the world when he should've noticed such a null zone. Slow pacing in the 2nd only to have Thorax change into some gaudy and rather stupid looking new form that had all the other changelings get reformed via vomiting their stuff out despite all the villainous stuff they have done against ponies. Thank god that Chrysalis refused to reform and has a vendetta against starlight as I would be pissed even more, than it ends suddenly!

I hope DHX is hearing the critiques on this as S6 has been a big dissapointment for me and others and this finale capped off that dissapointment with poor thought given to the writing of it other than they just want to have this story put out no matter how objectively bad or illogical it is.

The issue is that the writers need a stronger grip when it comes to the main arcs in their stories. They can do slice-of-life, and do it well, but they can't pace their main arcs, even after 6 seasons.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, WaterPulse said:

The issue is that the writers need a stronger grip when it comes to the main arcs in their stories. They can do slice-of-life, and do it well, but they can't pace their main arcs, even after 6 seasons.

True and hilariously their most simple arc, the S1's Grand Galloping Gala arc still remains my personal favorite of the arcs mainly for how down to earth and well made it is compared to the future arcs where they seem to want to top each progressing season off. They need to take a page from that arc and not go for such high stakes episodes and just focus on making it fun and good. A simple but well made PB&J is better than a complicated but poorly made souffle I say.

• Like 4

Mini-review in spoilers:

It's the worst season finale of the show.

1. Everything that builds up to To Where and Back Again is really, really sporadic. Thorax and Trixie only appeared in one episode.

Starlight's arc was in complete spades; following Tail, she appeared three times, one of them a cameo. Starlight Glimmer is a really big deal, and you can tell she's trying to change for the better. But they only happen when season six decides to show it. When the episode doesn't call for her, she's absent. Her being there regardless of speaking role helps give hints that she wants to do something good in life. Secondly, where are her relationships with the other five? They don't build any relationship with her. The only time they spend any onscreen time with her, she screws up or makes the big mistake by hypnotizing them in a messier Lesson Zero rehash.

Thorax's development happens offscreen. He's an excellent character, but his development and maturation will have more worth if we as an audience can see it during season six. Him getting to know The Crystal Empire better, getting closer to Flurry Heart, having a diplomatic relationship with the yaks. Something to help transition. The wings give a clue about what his future would be, but the audience still needs to be spoonfed exposition just to jump forward.
  2. Starlight is out of character. Starlight built a close relationship with Twilight and Spike…yet she choose Trixie instead as her "best friend." Four words: think of your implications! Starlight choosing Trixie over Twilight or even Spike implies she doesn't care for them that much if not at all. Remember, we're supposed to care for Starlight. But which dynamics does she receive the most development? Twilight and Spike. She's really close with them. There's no reason for Starlight to choose Trixie above them.
  3. The most important plot point is the Changelings kidnapping the royalty, friends, and Spike. They came out of nowhere, kidnapped them, and hid them in the Changeling Kingdom hive. Okay, so how did they kidnap them? What methods do they choose to kidnap them?

There weren't any. No explanations how. No explanations for when they planned it. Nothing.

A Canterlot Wedding, PTS, and Twilight's Kingdom all showed or gave them reasons for their kidnapping. Here, they left it blank. How could DHX leave the most important plot point of the finale HANGING?! It's a MASSIVE plot hole. Everything falls apart. Starlight's quest to become a better pony, the treacherous journey to find them, Thorax's and the Changelings' evolution, and anticipation for season seven all fall apart. The audience should look forward to season seven, but the sluggish pacing in part two doesn't quench thirsts.

To Where and Back Again is a massive letdown. After pretty good buildup in Part 1, Part 2's a major anticlimax. The plot hole kills the entire story. A massive downgrade from The Cutie Map, Re-Mark, and The Crystalling.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Mini-review in spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

It's the worst season finale of the show.

1. Everything that builds up to To Where and Back Again is really, really sporadic. Thorax and Trixie only appeared in one episode.

Starlight's arc was in complete spades; following Tail, she appeared three times, one of them a cameo. Starlight Glimmer is a really big deal, and you can tell she's trying to change for the better. But they only happen when season six decides to show it. When the episode doesn't call for her, she's absent. Her being there regardless of speaking role helps give hints that she wants to do something good in life. Secondly, where are her relationships with the other five? They don't build any relationship with her. The only time they spend any onscreen time with her, she screws up or makes the big mistake by hypnotizing them in a messier Lesson Zero rehash.

Thorax's development happens offscreen. He's an excellent character, but his development and maturation will have more worth if we as an audience can see it during season six. Him getting to know The Crystal Empire better, getting closer to Flurry Heart, having a diplomatic relationship with the yaks. Something to help transition. The wings give a clue about what his future would be, but the audience still needs to be spoonfed exposition just to jump forward.
  2. Starlight is out of character. Starlight built a close relationship with Twilight and Spike…yet she choose Trixie instead as her "best friend." Four words: think of your implications! Starlight choosing Trixie over Twilight or even Spike implies she doesn't care for them that much if not at all. Remember, we're supposed to care for Starlight. But which dynamics does she receive the most development? Twilight and Spike. She's really close with them. There's no reason for Starlight to choose Trixie above them.
  3. The most important plot point is the Changelings kidnapping the royalty, friends, and Spike. They came out of nowhere, kidnapped them, and hid them in the Changeling Kingdom hive. Okay, so how did they kidnap them? What methods do they choose to kidnap them?

There weren't any. No explanations how. No explanations for when they planned it. Nothing.

A Canterlot Wedding, PTS, and Twilight's Kingdom all showed or gave them reasons for their kidnapping. Here, they left it blank. How could DHX leave the most important plot point of the finale HANGING?! It's a MASSIVE plot hole. Everything falls apart. Starlight's quest to become a better pony, the treacherous journey to find them, Thorax's and the Changelings' evolution, and anticipation for season seven all fall apart. The audience should look forward to season seven, but the sluggish pacing in part two doesn't quench thirsts.

To Where and Back Again is a massive letdown. After pretty good buildup in Part 1, Part 2's a major anticlimax. The plot hole kills the entire story. A massive downgrade from The Cutie Map, Re-Mark, and The Crystalling.

I can see Trixie being with the group work, but, like Throax, she only had one episode of development this season, so whatever impact the writers were going for with her (and Thorax and Starlight, for that matter) was severely dampened.

• Like 2

Alright, that was a pretty good finale.

Starlight wasn't horribly overpowered or fucked something up for a change and amazing as it might be Trixie wasn't annoying. Discord was less of an ass and his dynamic with Trixie is very entertaining to watch. Changelings are good now and that's pretty cool, but I feel like the whole thing happened too fast. Reforming a species that's sole purpose for thousands of years has been to feed on love ought to at least take a while. Chrissy is still holding a huge grudge and remains a villain yet I question why she waited so long to execute this plan, seems like she literally took over Equestria in a few days.

Oh, yes, also CONTINUITY! It's a damn miracle.

All in all, pretty good, I'd give it a 7.5/10. Josh Harber and Michael Vogel did a good job with the writing. Also, somehow the animation in this one seemed more fluid than the other episodes, Staff may have been experimenting a little bit, or maybe it's just me.

10 minutes ago, Skyrazer said:

Alright, that was a pretty good finale.

Starlight wasn't horribly overpowered or fucked something up for a change and amazing as it might be Trixie wasn't annoying. Discord was less of an ass and his dynamic with Trixie is very entertaining to watch. Changelings are good now and that's pretty cool, but I feel like the whole thing happened too fast. Reforming a species that's sole purpose for thousands of years has been to feed on love ought to at least take a while. Chrissy is still holding a huge grudge and remains a villain yet I question why she waited so long to execute this plan, seems like she literally took over Equestria in a few days.

Oh, yes, also CONTINUITY! It's a damn miracle.

All in all, pretty good, I'd give it a 7.5/10. Josh Harber and Michael Vogel did a good job with the writing. Also, somehow the animation in this one seemed more fluid than the other episodes, Staff may have been experimenting a little bit, or maybe it's just me.

It's amazing, I'd say it's an 8.5/10

Well. If I had to rank the premieres and finales as well as the EQG movies and epic adventure storylines of the comics

Twilight's Kingdom , The Best Night Ever(?) > Legend of Everfree  > Cutie Map > Rainbow Rocks > Cutie Re-Mark >  The Crystalling > Return of Queen Chrysalis > Nightmare Rarity > Princess Twilight Sparkle  > Fall of Sunser Shimmer > To Where and Back > A Canterlot Wedding > Return to Harmony > Friendship Games > Magical Mystery Cure > The Crystal Empire > Friendship is Magic & Equestria Girls > Reflections  >>>>>>>>>>>> Seige of the Crystal Empire >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>EQG Holiday Special

Discord's line about Fluttershy being used in the recap is nice.

Trying to force a plan on Discord sounds awful.

The lack of plan ideas makes me think something like this would be most hilarious.

"Clutzy draconequus" just became every brony's safe word.

I think Trixie might be able to overfeed the entire empire on her love for herself alone. It'd be like in Torchwood when Jack Harkness overfed the Abadon.

Hardest audience for Discord? A callback to the gala with the Smooze?

A wall of crying Fluttershies. Maybe the fandom has succumbed to the Changelings.

And RIP Trixie. She won't be missed.

I think we should have had an Alien reference somewhere in this throne room.

Overfeeding via Thorax. Much less satisfying than by Trixie.

I was hoping to see Discord go absolutely ham. I wanna see him tear his way across reality and really fuck some shit up.

I was hoping this would end with 2 factions of the Changelings. Having Chryssy leave is close enough. She'll have a new hive eventually. Close enough.

Flying Pig Racer needs to be a fanmade pony game.

Not seeing much reason to hate on this finale.