The Amazing Coffee Pony

Opinions on VR

So I saw Jim Sterling's video on VR.

Required motion controls, for :yay: sake!

...You know it's sad when I have to say the following: The VIRTUAL BOY, of all things, had the better idea in terms of controls!! No mandatory sensors, motion controls, cameras or space! Just a headset and a controller or a mouse & Keyboard, that's it!! I mean I'm aware those things weren't out when it when it was conceived but this is what I was hoping the Playstation VR and Oculus would be and they should have been! Modern Virtual Boys done right! The Motion Controls should have just been optional add-ons! Good job, AAA game industry, you're killing VR again!! Should have just followed Nintendo's example with the controls!

My two cents? It's very promising technology. Right now it's still in it's infancy, but there's a lot of potential. This is the first generation of VR hardware, so there's a lot of room to improve. I trust the tech will only get better from now on, as will the titles available for it once developers learn what works and what doesn't for VR. A lot of devs are trying to plaster VR into their already made or in-production game with mixed results and that's troubling, as those games aren't built with VR in mind. However, with big companies behind the devices themselves and especially Valve's lax policies and openness to developers I wouldn't be surprised if a sizable VR market forms up within the next few years.

Well, there's more options than the PS VR and the Oculus.

The Vive has optional motion controls, where you can use a controller otherwise. To be honest, the Oculus can be the same way with some modifications.

My thoughts on motion controls though? Look at the Wii. It did really well.

Personally, VR is a stupid cool idea. I love it!
Getting to see myself get absolutely annihilated, but in VR?

Woahhhh

Though, I'm not much of a fan for motion controls. If you give me a game I have to play with motion controls and a block of plastic on my head, I'm gonna be slightly disgruntled. Slightly. For me it breaks up the atmosphere a tad when I have to swing my elbow to unlock something. Remember the boulder from RE4 for the Wii? Okay, maybe not the best example but stick with me! That was not okay. Having a seizure with my controller is not okay. I just kinda want to feel more immersed in the game, rather than flailing my arms about in my living room more than I regularly do. But who knows? Maybe there's some cool special way to get people like me on the motion control scene!

Or maybe I'll wait for SAO to come true

It'll be a novelty until someone actually makes a legitimate game that uses VR. Right now all we have are tech demos. We're a ways off from that though.

11 hours ago, The Amazing Coffee Pony said:

So I saw Jim Sterling's video on VR.

Required motion controls, for :yay: sake!

...You know it's sad when I have to say the following: The VIRTUAL BOY, of all things, had the better idea in terms of controls!! No mandatory sensors, motion controls, cameras or space! Just a headset and a controller or a mouse & Keyboard, that's it!! I mean I'm aware those things weren't out when it when it was conceived but this is what I was hoping the Playstation VR and Oculus would be and they should have been! Modern Virtual Boys done right! The Motion Controls should have just been optional add-ons! Good job, AAA game industry, you're killing VR again!! Should have just followed Nintendo's example with the controls!

In my opinion, the entire point of VR is to feel immersed within the game, body and whatnot. If you're going to sit down and use your mouse and keyboard/gamepad, well, you might as well keep using a monitor/TV as it defeats the whole purpose.

That being said, I do believe VR will have the same impact as the Wii's motion controllers and Kinect on conventional gaming, which is nothing.

4 hours ago, Steamworks said:

VR just brings us one step closer to holodecks.

True.

It'll be neat when technology ultimately gets us there. Assuming the machines haven't taken over by then. (Why are we researching AI again?)

For now we'll have to settle for "games" that are just as gimmicky as 3D TVs/Movies ever were. I'd be impressed if we've moved past this in the next few decades. Silly technological drought stopping people from getting cheap hoverboards and flying cars!

The moving around IN the games, physically using your feet, that's the whole thing about it, especially with the Vive.
2 sensors, 2 controls, a HMD, some cables, not much hazzle really, only the headset itself is cabled, the rest is wireless, and very precise.
And it's 1000x more immersive than sitting with a keyboard/mouse a few feet away from a monitor/TV.
Just imagine having to look up to a Behemoth in Fallout 4, you can really see the size of those things, and they might be huge.

The Blu is a Vive tech demo, one of those allows you to stand on a sunken wreck when a blue whale swims by, and yes, it.is.HUGE!

On 10/12/2016 at 8:56 PM, Nova S. Aurora said:

Well, there's more options than the PS VR and the Oculus.

The Vive has optional motion controls, where you can use a controller otherwise. To be honest, the Oculus can be the same way with some modifications.

My thoughts on motion controls though? Look at the Wii. It did really well.

Valve showcased the V2 Vive controllers during Steam Dev Days, they apparently have improved tracking, ergonomics and a new design that lets them track hand state (open or gripping).

I myself am not particularly interested in VR. I'm old fashioned like that. However, VR has the potential to be what 3D couldn't be, and that's being more than just a novelty. At the moment though, it hasn't elevated itself beyond that stage. Time will tell though...

I think VR is really stinkin cool, considering that I remember seeing a very, very early kind of VR in an encyclopedia for kids and I was like "I. WANT. IT."  To make my wallet cry even more, I once saw NerdCubed and Ashens fiddle in a program called SculptrVR, which made me want to get a Vive so much.

Funnily enough, the school I go to actually got a Vive, but I have yet to try it since so many people want to try it as well, but I did try the Occulus Rift at Big Apple Ponycon.

VR will probably not turn into the largely neglected niche segment that 3D predictably became, but I don't believe it'll be a passing fad. It's here to stay and will get better and more affordable with time. My prediction is that it will see it's greatest success with immersive, atmospheric games like Obduction and RPGs without overly complex combat mechanisms. Survival horror games and shooters that require a high degree of mobility will be too difficult and too hazardous to people's health and property.

Right now the tech is still in it's infancy. It'll no doubt balloon once most people can afford it and justify the cost, and once the novelty wears off it will only appear where it makes sense rather than software devs trying to force it into everything.

Atleast the Vive is becoming better now, read about a small battery pack (to place on top of the HMD) for it, giving around 1.5 hours of playtime, and a bigger one to have in the pocket.

Resinite: no one should be concerned about health and VR (that crashing into things is worse), about everything is dangerous in a way or another.

A full transition to wireless for the Vive would be hard, but it's awesome they're already trying to make it work. The first wave probably won't be that great but give it a few years and they'll have it worked out. 

Battery life, transmitter bandwidth and latency are some things that seriously need to be considered before a viable wireless upgrade is really viable. 90 minutes is fairly good for a first iteration and should be plenty considering the content currently available for the Vive and average play sessions. What really worries me is the video and audio data transfer. There's a large amount of data that has to be sent to the Headset itself, and a wireless kit would require a pretty high bandwidth and subsequent latency may also be an issue.