newworld

Are bronies the supreme authority/gods on everything?

No.

We're more like outside consultants at best.

On 10/13/2016 at 9:37 AM, Nuke87654 said:

No we're not as we're just a rather large periphery demographic that likes a show about ponies with passion. On the other hand I' am not a fan on Jim Miller's outburst considering how utterly unprofessional he was and how he caused an even bigger storm to happen than it needed to be when all he could've done was just block or ignore the person. I understand he faces tons of crap from trolls and irrational fans on twitter, but considering his job position and how he's handling PR on the product he's working on he needs to learn much better control of his emotions on the matter as he lets them get to him so easily. Personally I believe he needs to get off of twitter or let someone else handle the pr as it's apparent he's not cut out for that part on social media.

TFW the VA of one of your favorite villains tells you to GFY...

:sadface:

• Like 1

On 10/13/2016 at 2:46 AM, newworld said:

Those are a few of the things I keep seeing everywhere. Is the fandom really right about these things I mentioned and everything else? I'm sick of bronies now because they think they own everything and are the judge of what I watch.

I've always favored the approach that while there are bad reactions and analysis of content, and that there are objective elements in all art forms so that an aesthetic grade can be loosely derived, there is no single source that or group that has a monopoly on truth when it comes to art. Taking a look at Roland Barthes, a famous literary critic that de-emphasized the elitism inherent in authorial intent, I want to point you to his quote on that:

The reader is the space on which all the quotations that make up a writing are inscribed without any of them being lost; a text's unity lies not in its origin but in its destination. Yet this destination cannot any longer be personal: the reader is without history, biography, psychology; he is simply that someone who holds together in a single field all the traces by which the written text is constituted…Classic criticism has never paid any attention to the reader; for it, the writer is the only person in literature…we know that to give writing its future, it is necessary to overthrow the myth: the birth of the reader must be at the cost of the death of the Author.

That is a wonderfully profound philosophy that places must of the power of interpretation on the consumer/audience of art, but even though it supports the non-creator, it can still be applied to cases when individual tastes and analysis are subordinated to a group message. So, to answer your question, no the fandom are not gods of judgement here, nor are the show creators. Interpretation and general quality can be measured on an individual level depending on the value model the individual uses. For me, Season Six was fine, though not as good as the two seasons that preceded it. A few episodes this season were God Tier, and quite a few where enjoyable in their own right. That is a conclusion some may agree with, and some may disagree with. Both can be correct. 

• Like 3

No, they're not, because if they were, the show would have been ran into the ground or split off into 500 different versions years ago, with each claiming to be more true and authentic than the last. Every fandom has its issues, and in each fandom there are some who cannot tolerate the slightest deviation from their headcanon that they somehow expect the people at DHX to automatically know and act upon.

We are outside observers when it comes to the creative process. We get to join in the fun, they even throw some fun inside jokes our way, but we are not the target audience, nor should we be.

• Like 1