Dream Nation

How much are you like/How did you create your OC?

It's been the age old tale the pets look like their owners, or vice versa. But in making your pony embodiment, did you include characteristics of yourself or make it different? I'm not just talking about physical appearance either, adapting the personality and such, like you could be borderline introvert in real life, but your OC is bordering on Pinkie Pie levels of extroversion.

I use that as an example purely because that's one adaption I've done for my own. Otherwise, everything for me is the same, well except for the few obvious things like I don't have purple skin (and at the moment I'm refraining from re-dyeing my hair purple until my brother's wedding is over (cause I'm part of the bridal party)).

I created my OC based off a pony result chart from a Myer-Briggs personality test (worth doing if you have the time). I've done the test multiple times and I either get the introvert/extrovert different each time, sometimes if I skip a question it gets tied, but the other traits are fairly solid, so using that chart I merged my two results together (ENFP: Pinkie Pie, INFP: Luna), and tried to make it as ME as I could.

I think I'm fairly successful, don't you think?

14720530_1308116305889282_32468363371637tumblr_of0m4vODUY1st9tneo1_250.jpg

You don't have to post pictures if you don't want to (I just did cause I like to use pictures to make a point)

• Like 2

Here is the story of how I created my OC Equestria Girl: "Indigo Storm"

iStorm.PNG

I was playing the Equestria Girls app on my phone and it told me to made an avatar so I did and it also told me to create a name for the avatar. 

I randomly picked "Indigo Storm". Because Indigo is a shade of blue and blue is my favorite color, and Storm because I like weather.

She likes programming, animating, drawing, studying, listening to music and repairing computers for clients. She is smart, wise, and reliant. Just like me in real life. 

• Like 1

Which one?

*shows a list of over 20 OCs*

No they aren't all ponies, in fact I think less then half of them are...

5 minutes ago, Badshot said:

Which one?

*shows a list of over 20 OCs*

No they aren't all ponies, in fact I think less then half of them are...

25 minutes ago, Dream Nation said:

...your pony embodiment...

Kinda like a ponysona? I never made one like that.

All mine have distinct personalities... sorta... and I made them in various ways, some just sorta popped into my head, others I adapted to OCs from other sources.

BUUUUT.

These two are two of my favorites (spoilered due to size)

Shadow

changeling_request_by_junkiesnewb-d669jn

and Crystal

crystal_by_bgame46-d6n40ax.png

(dont mind the watermark, artist didn't want to get his art stolen so he didn't give me an unwatermarked version)

I have a lot of others, but I don't want to flood.

But these two spawned with my love for changelings, Shadow came first, Crystal came a while after when I felt he needed a companion cause he was such a loner, she has since became her own OC.

They're some of my more developed OCs too.

Edited by Badshot
I fixed the spoiler problem I think
  • Like 2

Well my OC is recent, (my avatar) but I wanted to make it more so a ponysona of sorts, so the mane reflects my real life hair style and eye colour as well...more or less (eyes are emerald green on my OC and I have hazel-green IRL, hair is dark brown to black), personality is pretty much the same I would have normally albeit I do sometimes wonder if said personality is the result of me wanted to act a specific way I enjoy, in this case a somewhat silly jokey friendly attitude that can be serious when needed, somewhat like the classic clumsy hero protagonist stereotype you see in many cartoons.
Special talent is linked to travel and that is something I do enjoy doing IRL when I get the chance and thus somewhat fitting, in line with the name as well.

That's about it, when creating it I was trying to stick close to myself, I tend to do that in many games with character creation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Light Landstrider said:

Well my OC is recent, (my avatar) but I wanted to make it more so a ponysona of sorts, so the mane reflects my real life hair style and eye colour as well...more or less (eyes are emerald green on my OC and I have hazel-green IRL, hair is dark brown to black), personality is pretty much the same I would have normally albeit I do sometimes wonder if said personality is the result of me wanted to act a specific way I enjoy, in this case a somewhat silly jokey friendly attitude that can be serious when needed, somewhat like the classic clumsy hero protagonist stereotype you see in many cartoons.
Special talent is linked to travel and that is something I do enjoy doing IRL when I get the chance and thus somewhat fitting, in line with the name as well.

That's about it, when creating it I was trying to stick close to myself, I tend to do that in many games with character creation.

And of course, a white coat. Your OC lacks color, I say!

My OC was pretty straightforward. I created him based on my biggest faults and shortcomings, as I was fed up with all those Mary Sue OCs who are powerful, successful and infallible. I thought: "What would my evil/bad me be like?" The outcome was a snobby, self-centered and vain unicorn, who thinks he is better than everyone else. Fittingly, I imagine him living somewhere in Canterlot, involved with Canterlot politics. Then I took a few of my strengths, made him a sweet-talker and the character was done.

commission_oc__free_speech_by_shadowhulk

Colors were based on many experiments with a color picker, but I am pretty glad how they came out. Shortly after I created my OC, Coco Pommel was revealed, which was kinda an official approval of my design, as they both were pretty similiar (color-wise, that is).

The mane... Yes, I also use hair wax to fix my hair, so that sleek back-combed look is something I have as well, even tho my hair is blonde. And the eyes are the same, as I have blue eyes as well.

So technically, my OC is actually more... mean spirited and vain than I am, so you don't have to be afraid to talk to me. Still, I enjoy having an OC with many "bad" attributes, as it makes me reflect my own personality and decisions. When I created him, I spent quite some time thinking about myself and what I represent, what impression I have on others... It was a very valuable experience!

Greetings,

Alpha268

• Like 2

Welp!
I don't got no ponysona!
But if it means anything, I chose this picture of Pinkie Pie since she's got that blank stare but it still trying her absolute hardest to party.
I like this picture.

• Like 1

Well, considering he's my Ponysona I'd say his personality is exactly like mine: a sarcastic, forgetful, awkward and sometimes silly procrastinator who has a knack for solving practical problems, technology and programming. Likely lives differently if you take the world into account, probably alone up in Cantorlot. Working as a scribe or librarian while keeping up his childhood dream of being an inventor with lots of weird contraptions in his work room.

The working name was Free Quill, but I'm having second doubts about that.

vmbsDYS.png

As for how I created him, the mane and tail styles are based off my hair. The eyes are also based off of my own eyes.

The color scheme is based on three colors (orange, blue and purple) which one of my best friends gave me after I asked him to describe me using just 3 colors. He's a unicorn because I've had a fascination with magic since I was a kid. And I can't, for the life of me, figgure out a name for him that sticks, but at least I have a Cutiemark design, so that's nice.

ROxo86N.png

• Like 2

I don't make characters after myself because I am pathetic*. When writing characters I could say that I split my interests or personality between them but you could say that about anybody here, that you have similar views or tastes. If you use the meaning of OC as a self-insert, I'm not really a fan of that either. I don't like a direct copy of anything including myself when designing a character, it feels like a cop out.

*amazing

• Like 1

My character isn't too much like me. We share similar interests (music, reading), age, and our love for hoodies, but other than that she's her own entity.

RJpOO1a.png

• Like 3

I don't really do self inserts either. I mostly write em up for RP, like I do with my WoW characters. The only OC I didn't really do a thorough write-up on is the one you see as my Avatar. I created Dawnshatter for the Pony Fortress 2 community to fit in with the others back near it's start. (And the moniker stuck, more or less.)

But basically aside from the personal references (the name, cutie mark, etc) I put into creating and naming him, there's no real similarities to myself personally. Anyways, here's a 3-4 year old full body picture of my silly OC I did in GIMP way back. I really miss having access to Illustrator as well as having a functional scanner. GOTTA LOVE THIS CRUDDY ECONOMY!

zN6aifd.png?1

• Like 1

Nova is essentially my ponysona.
First I started with a color, purple representing a fondness for the night and the stars, but it can also represent a neutral color between two different entities. In the event there is an argument between one individual, red, and a second individual, blue, I can see both sides and try to mediate, being purple.

Then I adapted and molded her personality to suit my own, giving her a fondness for the sciences (and magics) and a strong curiosity. This personality suits unicorns, so she is a unicorn. When it comes to individuals, she is somewhat shy at first, but when she gets involved she can overcome this fear and act somewhat like a leader.

Our shared love of science is what spurred me to make the name Nova Starlight Aurora.

However, to avoid "Mary Sue-ness" I gave her my shortcomings as well. She can get so involved with her studies that she can keep herself locked away for days at a time. Sometimes forgetting to eat. She is somewhat of a workaholic, always keeping busy. She's somewhat weak, but makes up for this through mostly non-inate magics (artifacts she finds in her travels). She is intelligent, but can sometimes be a slight know-it-all, sometimes looking over the most simplest of answers.

Her career is that of an independent scientist after leaving the royal academy. She doesn't stay in one place for long, often wandering all across Equestria and beyond in search of information, but her home remains in Canterlot. This venturing has made her a lot of acquaintances, but has also gotten her into a lot of trouble. Her favored topic of study is Alchemy, and that of infusing the natural workings of the world with magic.

WxR7YGt.png

• Like 1

My OC is one that I based off a rp character I rarely use anymore. (And there is no drawing because I suck at drawing)

I havnt really figured out a name yet, but his tastes and personality mostly reflect of mine. A passive-agressive kind of pony who mostly likes rock music.

Design: greyish body, with a blue mane and tail/whatever its called. Eye color is brown. I havnt thought of a cutie mark yet, but I'm thinking between a Wi-Fi symbol, and a book.

• Like 1

My oc is inspired by Trixie because I like Trixie. So I was thinking to make similar appearence,but different mane/hair and adding glasses because I'm wearing glasses in real life.

I could say his CM is inspired by my interest on computers. I pick retro pc because I'm still learning about modern technology.

He have nothing much backstory but he live normally in Manehattan. But he moved to Ponyville "not long ago" because of too much work. His personality is calm and friendly even he can be a bit silly pony sometimes.

N2Ju8xa.jpg

• Like 2

I got a second oc too.

She is my first oc's sister. She was also inspiration by my real sister and decide to make some sister to my oc.

Her appearence coat are the reverse of my first oc.Her mane is similar to my sister's hair.

kJxe59z.jpg

• Like 2

Two main OC's I made are sorta what I want to be. One is an introvert who wanted to come out of her shell so she sorta started acting out a book character...to the point of cosplaying his style of clothing. Other one applies cold rationale of "Actions and consequences" rather than "Good and evil". She considers possible outcomes of her actions and picks which might be better now or in the long run, even if others might hate her for it and consider evil. I am sadly neither, I think too much of what others might think of me to the point of me not talking to ANYONE. Hell, I talked so little, my tongue now has trouble keeping up with my thoughts) ^ ^" Anyways, I sorta want either to be more open and easygoing, or at least not care about others' opinions as much~

Serpent Scale and Ebon Scar

0WZWPJxIOFE.jpg

Izkkqy9DnJQ.jpg

I also made a whole world of characters, but only these had anything related to my own personality. I'd like to kick my tumblr back to working order one day, when I can accept my own drawings' level. ^ ^

Some wonderful OCs here! I for one love seeing OCs. :) Their various designs and color themes. Some people have come up with really beautiful characters. As for mine, Dublyn Tea, she's me as a pony. I have Irish origins. I have long light/medium brown hair with some red highlights. I love tea. I had freckles on my nose when I was younger. I look great in green. We both also love nature and animals, and prefer country or small town life so she lives on the outskirts of Ponyville rather than in one of the bigger cities. She may have stereotypical starts; GeneralZoi's pony generator over at dA. It was while playing this game at HubWorld though that I finally decided I was going to stick to this design permanently (aside from the freckles; I don't think they were an option in the game), and decided on a name.

405168_3733925185551_445421736_n.jpg?efg

• Like 1

(Unfortunately I don't have a good pic of my Ponysona because my wacom pen is being an oversensitive frick so I can draw her in color, but here goes)eqd_natg_2016_day_5__full_on_sailor_outf

My ponysona, is obviously, a sailor as seen with her uniform. I always drew her wearing a sailor outfit because of my love of maritime things and probably the fact that I love sailor uniforms. Just recently, I finally thought of a name for her because of Pony.town, where I had her as my main pony in the game. She now goes by Little Blue Sailor because of the fact her fur is blue and her outfit is also blue as well. Also, I thought of these cute little guys that I was kind of terrified of when I first saw them which I thought were called Little Blue Sailors (They're actually called By the Wind sailors) but when I searched "Little Blue Sailor" on Wikipedia, it just brought up some jabroni guy from a TV show my mom is overly obsessed with on the search results.

But being my ponysona, I do relate to her a lot! Childish, Silly, and cries when people scold at her/me. Yup. I need to draw her more often~

I used to write a lot in Harry Potter RPG forums, so my OC mostly came from here. It is long history between me and my OC (around 10 years already) I had one other before it, but he died long time ago. In HP forums it first started something as simple as character for me to write stories. I remember, my friends helped me to create it, because I wanted to write with them. First it wasnt anything interesting, very generic and simple. But years passed, I created more and more stories and my OC started to look more and more like me. Well at least Sangu`s (Sanguinary) personality, not so much his look. So personality wise my OC is something between that I am and that I wanna be. Now it evolved into pony OC... And it is unicorn because it came from HP. And colors well, simple because red, black and purple is my most favorite colors.

Boy, where do I begin...? My OC has taken many forms over the years, at first she was some voice in my head that had no form at all, she would always calm me down by making me think whenever I'm troubled or frustrated, afterwards she took form in the form of a Wolf, because I admired wolves. The lone ones especially, they do not have to rely on anyone, and has the strength and freedom to live in the wilds all on their own. But being the 10 year old that I was, I named her after my favorite flowers, Azalea. She was the one friend who truly understood what I went through life at the time. Somewhere along the way, I started liking something else; gems. I'm not one who is into Gemology or Archaeology or anything like that, I just grew to like how pretty gems were...Emeralds especially. Then when I found ponies in 2011 (I was 14 then), I made my own OC based on gems. Lariette Emeralds

(horrible recolor btw)

H1HdJgI.png 

Lariette was, in the roleplay world, a Gemologist, and she was somebody I wished to become. Strong, Independent, easily able to make friends....but thanks to her I was able to make many friends, even found love. I communicated through her, put on a positive front because thats how Lariette would act and all. She turned my life around. We skip ahead 4 years later to when I was 18, I had quit most of my roleplaying and realized that after using her in so many roleplaying, I had...changed her, she had many names, roles in varying roleplays that I felt that she was no longer "original". To me the definition of that Is a character who is his or herself, and does not have multiple persona, even though they're fictional for roleplaying. And so I decided to take Lariette and completely redo her. I combined my two favorite things during that time. The Flower Azalea and the color vanilla/bright yellow. I also changed her main from Roseluck/Lyra/Amethyst/etc into a more original hairstyle....my own~!

And that is how Azalea Floria came to be, and up until today, she still shares 'everything' with me, and she still keeps me company in my thoughts

vpNQqkY.png 

Here's a picture of me, if anyone needs to compare the hair (my hair's tied back into a ponytail in this photo though)

bDOMEtY.jpg 

• Like 1

My OC is a living embodiment of what I personally enjoy, such as rock music, video games, books, and hoodies. He is based off an old character I used for a post apocalyptic roleplaying game, with subtle changes. I also decided to make some noticeable differences to appearance.

the rp characters name was Mark Christopher Parker, or nicknamed "Seven" because he liked it. Also because there was also a Microsoft employee named mark parker

a Brown eyed, black haired Caucasian male with a red hoodie

The OC (who's name I am still working on) design is based off my interests

Navy blue haired, (videk games)emerald green eyed (reading) male (Idk names for male horses in MLP, so stick with it) with grey skin and a black hoodie. (Rock music)

You can find a picture here (made by the talented Ebon Scar)

nEmINhK.jpg

My OC was a shameless recolor at first, which actually fits my personality quite well; nothing special. I went and changed her design later though, but she's still not the uniquest one out there. She doesn't really represent or look like me either, despite having a color scheme that includes two of my favorite colors.