Alright, one thing about me that I like is to review stuff at my leisure. One area of interest I like to review is MLP FIM episodes. Normally I would post this on a personal blog or so, but since that feature is not in yet, I've decided to try it out here on this thread if that is alright. 

What I would do here is to give my opinions with as much detail that I can find in each episode and explain why I like or dislike such a thing to happen in said episode. I hope that this will turn out well as I admit I'm a bit nervous starting a review thread or so, but I hope that this endeavor will turn out exceptionally well.

I'm nervecited as Meghan would say :P

• Like 5

Alright before I can look into the series pilot tonight, I will need to lay some sort of ground work for how my grades are. I work on a grading scale of A+-F- and a 10-1 numeric score to highlight how good and bad they are to my tastes. Note many episodes or so will share the same score as it will be a pain in the ass to try to give each episode their own individual score and to make it simple. I will also do seasonal scores and stuff and thoughts to reflect on the season on what I thought and give a proper measurement on which episodes I thought was the best of the season to the worst of the season with their own rankings. Here is how my score goes:

10 A+= All Time Great: This is the best score I can give and it is one I typically do not give lightly. This is a product I consider to show the absolute best of the series in general and is almost perfect in every way with either no flaws or tiny minute flaws that can easily be explained away. This is one I recommend you to watch it, don't even question or ask if you should or if it's good as this one is too great for anyone to ignore. Note, I will put multiple A+'s in my reviews.

9.5 A= Great: This is a product I can consider to be among the best in the series or so. This is where for the most part it does a fantastic job showing and developing it's story and narration and characters, but is prevented from achieving that illustrious A+ rank from me but a very minor flaw that detracts the episode in a tiny way but not enough to deter me from calling it a great time to have and view. This is one where if you even have an inkling of interest, go and see it for yourself as you'll be very pleased to see it.

9.0 B+= Very Good: A score given to episodes where it does a great job showcasing it's narrative and view, but it has a small but noticeable flaw that degrades it enough where I do not consider it a great example in the series. Still this is an excellent episode for folks to watch and if you have a minor interest in seeing it, go for it as you'll have a good time watching it too.

8.5 B= Good: A rather good episode that is a joy to watch, but is held back by a sizeable or smaller flaws that is hampering it from achieving greater. If you have a small interest or like the series, you'll like this episode in general.

8.0 C+= Above Average: An episode that while it has some good ideas and stuff to give, ultimately it didn't particularly execute it well enough for me to consider it an especially good episode. It also has some flaws that are annoying for me and detract from my enjoyment. If you're interested however, you may find some good qualities in it, but I feel this may be the first folks would start having reservations in an episode or so.

7.5 C= Average: This is the average episodes grade. An episode that doesn't do enough to please me while at the same time it doesn't piss me off enough for me to hate it either. Ultimately this an episode grade I have no strong feelings one way or the other. Unless you have a good interest in the episode or series in general, this may be considered the first where you may not have a strong investment to watch.

7.0 D+= Below Average: The first grade where I feel an episode has stronger and more negatives than good positives. However there are enough good and the execution is not particularly bad enough for me to hate the episode. I may not have a good view on the episode but I don't really dislike it. This is a grade for folks who have a good interest in the series as you probably won't like it otherwise.

6.5 D= Mediocre: Probably the last grade one episode can get before I start disliking it. For the most part this episode has many problems and issues that detracts it's value from me and is one that I can't really enjoy. But I will give credit that it does have a few good ideas that does tickle me fancy and have me wish for something better for em and does at least succeed in achieving what it wanted on a bare minimum. Again, watch only if you really like the values in it or else you won't enjoy this episode.

6.0 F+= Failure: This is an episode that I feel that ultimately fails in it's execution and ideas and one where I start disliking an episode for what it bring. However, I will admit there are certain smaller parts in the episode that do please me enough that I would consider it good or if I thought the idea was a great one but was marred by bad decisions that ultimately bring it down. Must be really wanting to see it and accept it's not perfect but will enjoy for what it has you like.

5.5-5.0 F= Bad: This is the general bad episode list where my hate for it grows even more. This is where I feel there are many problems and issues with the episode that one cannot really enjoy at all. However, I will say that at least the episode itself is not outright terrible and holds very few redeeming qualities in it that one can enjoy. Still unless you really enjoy the stuff that it does portray well, you will likely not enjoy this episode at all.

4.5-4.0 F= Terrible: This is as far as a grade of mine will go before I will declare it as the worst episodes or so in a series. Still, this is a list where I will start considering this as among the worst episodes in FIM. This is an episode where I feel is so bad that I honestly would recommend folks to avoid watching this episode. Still there's at least a couple of things that are at least redeemable enough for me to avoid it from going on my personal hate list. Avoid it unless you really really really really like the couple of positives I see it has in it.

3.5-1.0 F-=Atrocity: The worst grade I can give to any episode on my list. This is an episode where I consider it so bad that I frankly do not consider it a loss if you remove it or such as it has no value that would be lost from it's erasure. This is an episode you should avoid at any cost as there is nothing for anyone to like here.

There hopefully I'll be able  to get that series pilot of FIM: Mare in the Moon review up and running tomorrow for folks to see for what I think and for them to especially anything that would challenge my ideas and if it's a better one or so.

• Like 5

Alright so here's my first episode review here which is FIM's first two episodes (two parters essentially) in the series pilot: Friendship is Magic.

The first episode and series pilot of the series, Friendship is Magic is written by Lauren Faust and storyboarded by Tom Sales, Mike West, Sherann Johnson, and Sam To. Being the first episode in the series, the summary of it can be explained as them trying to establish the cornerstones of the series via how Twilight, a studious unicorn, and her companion, Spike the Dragon, are ordered by the ruler of Equestria and Twilight's mentor, Princess Celestia, to go to a pony village called Ponyville in order to make new friends despite Twilight's insistence of an impending villain of old returning from her imprisonment to cast doom across Equestria for her banishment.

Positives:

1. The lore on Nightmare Moon provides an entertaining branch for newcomers and older fans to enjoy even to this day. At the start of the episode, we are treated to a storytale like narration by Nicole Oliver, Celestia's va where it tells the tale of between Celestia and her younger sister Princess Luna whom getting jealous that Celestia received all the care and admiration for her daylight hours while everyone else slept through her nights and thus couldn't see her nightly beauty, turned into a dark creature called Nightmare Moon. This forced Celestia to use the Elements of Harmony, the most powerful magic known to ponies, to seal her away in the moon. During her imprisonment, Celestia was forced to watch the ponies day and night and raise both the sun and moon on her own, a task where she only raised the sun before and shared with her moon raising sister.

In the first few minutes, we have something that can hold the newbies interest in of a jealous sister turning into some dark creature in revenge against the ponies for shunning her nights. Open up to interpretation by the audience, many have created their own take on her banishment and such, and some even go and take Celestia's own view via fanworks. Overall, this does indicate the lasting impression of this lore in the audience and of how it will also impact Luna's development in the series too.

2. For what a pilot needs to do, it did it well in introducing our characters for us to care for in the series. Of note, a thing that pilots must do is to provide a necessary reason and attachment to the starring characters in your series for why your watching audience needs to stay committed to watching the series for the long haul or so. This can be a delicate act to do as for the most part, you're essentially doing a powerpoint presentation to your class and you must find a captivating enough presentation in order to earn that good grade as a poor presentation can not only doom your tv series to obscurity, but also negatively impact your career too.

In the case of Friendship is Magic's, it is of no exception as we're introduced to our main protagonist in Twilight Sparkle, a studious unicorn who started off not valuing friendship as she blew off a party by Moondancer (which won't totally come bite her in the flank in a S5 episode), and has a bit of a smart ass streak to her demeanor as she shows impatience when things are progressing too slow and such, which many older fans will know how she turns out.

Spike is a baby dragon who is also Twilight's assistant and friend that she gives the job of sending letters to Celestia whenever she needs to send one out and helps her out and give advice when needed.

Nightmare Moon: A dark twisted and possessed version of Princess Luna. This dark creature seeks to turn Equestria into her own personal playground and kingdom to where folks will be forced to love her nights without reprieve.

Celestia: the princess and ruler of equestria. She's the mentor to Twilight Sparkle who also seems to have some ability to pre-plan events into motion considering how she admitted she sent Twilight to make friends with the mane 6 in order to get the elements of harmony and to bring her sister back to her.

Pinkie Pie, a party loving earth pony who wishes to make the mood of the environment be a pleasant one for everyone involved, even to newcomers especially as she went and threw a big welcome party for Twilight at her own home simply to give Twilight and Spike a nice introduction to ponyville, even if Twilight herself thinks they're all loonies for it.

Applejack, a country earth pony who would develop a deeper voice later in the series here not only has a higher tone one, but is shown that she's a hospitable, dependable, and honest hardworking pony who has a large family she loves.

Rainbow Dash, a cocky and equally skilled Pegasus pony who has big dreams of joining the Wonderbolts (think of them as Equestria's Blue Angels) and despite her sometimes off putting exterior, when the going gets tough she'll always stick by your side.

Rarity, a fashionista unicorn who loves to design clothes for anyone and has big aspirations of joining the Canterlot noble elite someday through her talent in fashion or so. Despite her upper class accent, she's a fair and generous pony who is willing to aid you however she can, even at her own expense.

Finally, Fluttershy, a moe Pegasus pony who has great social anxiety fears with speaking to other ponies. She loves, care, and understands animals, even to creatures like Manticores whom she has no problems speaking up to and aiding. She took a liking to the baby dragon Spike.

And this is info the pilot themselves provided and for me eschewing away all the stuff I know how they'll progress in the later seasons or so and develop as characters. For a presenting pilot episode, it's gotten me interested in the characters it presented that the series wants me to care for, which is a very good thing and has completed the most important part of any pilot episode, draw the audience's interest to the series.

3. Introducing us to Ponyville and the good folks there also helps it to earn more points for the episode. Another thing the first part of the episode did great in was introducing us to the main locale of the series in Ponyville. A pony village that invokes a nice, relaxing, and sincere atmosphere for the audience while at the same time the folks of Ponyville show that while they're are nice, they're not above to doing much more lively stuff such as throwing parties to newcomers and prepping up for the princess's personal arrival to Ponyville which shows a level of importance for ponies despite it's humble aesthetics.

Through this episode, we're introduced as well to a few folks in Ponyville such Mayor Mare, Derpy Hooves (originally an animation error on DHX's part that they've embraced due to the positive reception from the audience), AJ's apple family of Big Mac, Applebloom, and Granny Smith, and many others there. Many of them would go on to leave their own impact, big or small, in the show too. Thus I would have to give great applause to the craftsmanship of the first part of the episode as I honestly feel that it does a fantastic job setting the series up with all of these excellent building blocks and foundations for it.

Negatives

1. Nightmare Moon in action was struck with massive amounts of Plot induced stupidity. Than stuff went to worse quality in part 2, starting with how Nightmare Moon, despite her scary reputation and interesting lore, when you actually see her in action, she was a major idiot throughout. My points for this are:

A. Instead of using other obstacles or traps to stop the ponies, why can't she do it herself? None of them even together can stop her and it helps eliminate one nuisance out of the way.

B. Considering she's Princess Luna possessed or so, heard them say the elements should be in the castle of the two sisters, is much faster than them too, why didn't she simply flew to the castle she should know, take the elements before they arrive, and than do as she pleases with them and destroy em?

The only explanation I could think of for why should take one of the worst actions to do against the mane 6 when much better ones are easily available to her is that she was struck plot induced stupidity to ensure Nightmare Moon doesn't wipe the mane 6 out so easily.

2. The events leading up to the mane 6 getting the elements of harmony is contrived, rushed, and had stilted dialogue.  Another and perhaps biggest problem I had with the 2nd part of the episode was of how it seemed the whole 2nd act was to give the mane 6 their elements for them to use or so. This would involve the after mentioned Nightmare Moon getting struck with Plot induced stupidity, but also of how the events seem to fall in place for the mane 6 to not only overcome with their own individual manner, but also of how their dialogue seems to be spurned to highlight of their element too.

The most obvious and worst of the bunch was when Applejack tried to save Twilight from a falling cliff, in order to show case to folks of how Applejack's element is honesty, she spoke these lines:

Twilight Sparkle: Applejack! What do I do?

Applejack: Let go.

Twilight Sparkle: Are you crazy?

Applejack: No I ain't. I promise you'll be safe.

Twilight Sparkle: That's not true!

Applejack: Now listen here. What I'm sayin' to you is the honest truth. Let go, and you'll be safe.

Here, instead of simply telling Twilight that Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash are there to grab and save her, she speaks this rather unnatural dialogue where she has to emphasize her honesty to Twilight. The rest of the crew also undergo a similar event where they have what it takes to overcome it whether through behavior or skill and the same forced dialogue that was set up to place great importance on a virtue that their corresponding element will be.

At the climax, Twilight had her own contrived plot point where she not only surmised that all the events leading up to them entering the castle of the two sisters was destined (aka highlighting the plot's contrivance), but that it would also lead to all of them getting their elements, including the sixth element of magic, right at the moment when they needed it to beat Nightmare Moon back via purification of the good beam of the elements of harmony. Finally, just in one day, they not only got their elements, but also Twilight herself grew out of her shell on the spot to wanting to stay with them in ponyville despite how probably not even a day ago she wanted to do as little with them as possible and not wanting to bond with them at all, further marking of how rushed the resolution was.

I honestly believe that this episode's rushed climax would've served better as an arc of sorts where the mane 6 bond over the course of the story to where they eventually do become better friends to each other and Twilight herself eventually grows out of her own shell and starts to realize how important having good friends is. To me this is a story that had plenty of potential and one fanfic writers should probably look into, but unfortunately did not have the vote of confidence or time to not reach the potential it had.

Conclusion: Despite how I dislike the 2nd part and it's rushed story and climax, on the other hand I can give great credit to it for how it set up the series with an interesting lore on a noted villain in the series in Nightmare Moon and the non possessed sister Princess Celestia, the mane 6, Spike the baby Dragon, and others. For the series pilot that it is, Friendship is Magic is a good way to kick off a series for what it wanted to show and would help folks to be drawn into the series and in it's later episodes.

Score: 7.0

Grade: D+

Let me know what you guys think and what can I improve here.

Edited by Nuke87654
Adding more information to this review post
  • Like 2

I think you're implying that Luna's problem was that Celestia was being loved, but what the narrator says is that the problem was that the ponies shunned her night. As far as the cartoon mentions, Luna didn't care that Celestia's day was loved, only that her night wasn't.

I think that something important to mention about Fluttershy is  that "her thing" is understanding animals. Not only what they're saying, but what is bothering them.

The first part of the episode does present the characters, but the most important part is the second, where their characteristics come together and ties the group together with Twilight's insight while facing Nightmare Moon. It's like the first part says "look, these are important" and the second part proves that they are.

Nightmare Moon's stupidity in the second part was painful to watch but it should be excusable after mentioning that Lauren's original plan was to stretch the whole thing through the season (like you say would fix the problems). The real problem is that it was dumbed down because of the E/I rating it had to follow at the time and then rushed so that it could fit in a single episode. Nightmare Moon needed actual servants, goons to throw at the girls instead of being ineffective by herself. Or an excuse why she couldn't just off the girls: maybe she needed the Elements for something.

Personally, if the cartoon didn't have that introduction, this whole thing would've made Nightmare Moon look like a buffoon and I certainly wouldn't get so interested in the series. I think that the important part about that intro is that the cartoon was taking itself seriously, when the second part really wasn't. Nightmare Moon seemed threatening (because of Eternal Night, and at the time, I wouldn't have a doubt that no one could make her do anything she didn't want). The problem, is that this emphasizes the problems with the second part and makes mentioning stuff like original plans and age rating important.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

I think you're implying that Luna's problem was that Celestia was being loved, but what the narrator says is that the problem was that the ponies shunned her night. As far as the cartoon mentions, Luna didn't care that Celestia's day was loved, only that her night wasn't.

I think that something important to mention about Fluttershy is  that "her thing" is understanding animals. Not only what they're saying, but what is bothering them.

The first part of the episode does present the characters, but the most important part is the second, where their characteristics come together and ties the group together with Twilight's insight while facing Nightmare Moon. It's like the first part says "look, these are important" and the second part proves that they are.

Nightmare Moon's stupidity in the second part was painful to watch but it should be excusable after mentioning that Lauren's original plan was to stretch the whole thing through the season (like you say would fix the problems). The real problem is that it was dumbed down because of the E/I rating it had to follow at the time and then rushed so that it could fit in a single episode. Nightmare Moon needed actual servants, goons to throw at the girls instead of being ineffective by herself. Or an excuse why she couldn't just off the girls: maybe she needed the Elements for something.

Personally, if the cartoon didn't have that introduction, this whole thing would've made Nightmare Moon look like a buffoon and I certainly wouldn't get so interested in the series. I think that the important part about that intro is that the cartoon was taking itself seriously, when the second part really wasn't. Nightmare Moon seemed threatening (because of Eternal Night, and at the time, I wouldn't have a doubt that no one could make her do anything she didn't want). The problem, is that this emphasizes the problems with the second part and makes mentioning stuff like original plans and age rating important.

I thought I presented well enough that Luna got ticked that her nights were being shunned in favor of Celestia's day time or so. Hmm, perhaps I need to fix that.

For the second part, I need to fix on the animals to understanding them true.

Agreed on that, but even so, I still feel it's rushed and I feel the 2nd part was essentially putting the elements of harmony into the mane 6. Sure it helps tie them into together, but it was too quick for my liking, especially considering how Twilight was before.

Aye I do wish that season arc plan of hers were to happen as honestly that sounds like a tantalizing idea for how the mane 6 would come together. Either way, I can only judge what is being presented towards me and while I very much liked the first part, the 2nd part was clearly them rushing the resolution just to get the elements into the mane 6 at the end. As for the final part there with Nightmare Moon's Plot induced stupidity, considering she chose to destroy the elements stones in the end, I feel it's more likely she wanted to eliminate them as a threat, and she can easily still make them her servants in the end as they would have little to hope for after the elements were destroyed or vanished.

I'll need to amend on Nightmare Moon's profile in the episode. As for taking the parts seriously in the first and second, I don't feel it's a case of that but rather for what each part had in mind and how it executed it. The first part's objective was to tell and entice the audience to care for the presented characters the series wants us to fall in love, thus it could take it's time to pace well and it presented it's targets very well. The 2nd part on the other hand wanted to put the elements of harmony into the mane 6 at the end of the episode as they couldn't do that arc they wanted which in the end made the 2nd part feel very rushed and contrived.

Ty, I'll need to update on Fluttershy and add a Nightmare Moon profile.

So I have return with another review, this time on the third episode of season 1 in Ticket Master.

Ticket Master, the third episode in the series and of season 1 is written by the collaborative efforts of Amy Keating Rogers and Lauren Faust, and story boarded by Alex Basio and Kevin Schmidt.

Originally, this episode was an eleven minute episode by Faust's hand before it went into production with Hasbro for Season 1. Amy Keating Rogers helped stretch the episode out to be a 22 minute episode to meet it's needed half hour time slot. One of the first scenes Hasbro used as part of FIM's trailers for the show was using scenes from this episode in Big Macintosh happily recieving his new plow in AJ's Grand Galloping Gala dream. Curiously, this would often be the first episode that many of the international dub releases would start with over the series's pilot. Many scenes from this episode would also be used in the IOS app: Twilight Sparkle Teacher for a day and it's Ruckus Reader version: Twilight's Sparkles Special Lesson.

In this episode, Twilight struggles to find which of her friends must she pick from to give one of two tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala as they all give her their reasons and motivations to attending the prestigious Grand Galloping Gala event.

Positives:

1. This episode does well to set up for the Grand Galloping Gala arc of Season 1 by showing us all of the remane five's desires to attend the Gala. This episode would be the start of the three episode arc of Season 1, the Grand Galloping Gala arc. Here this episode did what it set out to do very well which was to help give the motivations and goals each of the remane five outside of Twilight Sparkle. Here they are in order:

Applejack: Wishes to earn enough money from selling foods at the Grand Galloping Gala to give some needed repairs, new equipment, and a hip replacement surgery for Grannie Smith.

Rainbow Dash: Desires to meet the Wonderbolts and earn good favor with them so she can have a chance to join the Wonderbolts right than and there.

Pinkie Pie: Wishes to have fun at a party.

Rarity: Wishes to achieve the kind of romantic night she desires and ultimately be swept up her feet with Prince Blueblood.

Fluttershy: Wants the chance to see the Canterlot Gardens when in full bloom or so on the night of the Grand Galloping Gala to meet not only the fauna but the many animals there too.

All of this helps to establish a bit on their personalities that would prove endearing to the series such as AJ's selflessness to help her family, Rainbow Dash's need to impress the wonderbolts, Pinkie Pie's love to party, Rarity's romantic side, and Fluttershy's need to immerse herself with nature. This is another good spot by Lauren Faust in establishing the mane 6 about as well and quickly as one needs in the early parts of the season in order for the audience to quickly grow attached to them. I'll give Lauren credit as a writer that she knows how to get right to the necessary point of the  episode and does it well for a viewer to enjoy.

Negatives:

1. The episode was doubled the amount of material the story needed and it hinged on a pretty annoying plot premise of 'let's hope the person doesn't ask the question needed to quickly resolve the situation.' Still, the episode clearly showed how the story was an eleven minute episode for how after the first eleven minutes, the episode spends the rest of the episode over extending the plot with funny but filler gags in the remane five's attempt to woo Twilight to their side, which only frustrates Twilight in her earnest attempt to find which of the remane five is most worthy of it.

Than after all of that, they finally decide of how selfish each of them were towards Twilight (after Rainbow Dash bragged in victory till she got annoyed looks from em, which I thought she was being hilarious. This prompts Twilight to send the tickets back since if all of them can't go than none of them will, a good show of Twilight's growth too. However, this in turn has Celestia decide to simply send in more tickets and remark 'why didn't you say so' aka, why didn't you ask for the most obvious question sooner. As for folks wishing to criticize Celestia for being a troll or not sending more tickets to her friends initially, @RK_Striker_JK_5 mentioned below, what Twilight received at the start may have been a form letter (aka, a standard letter sent out to multiple folks with usually the same writing and details for the folks involved in order to make sending tons of the same letters out easier and smoother) instead of a personal letter sent from Princess Celestia herself.

I dislike plots like this as typically they're an idea that depends entirely on a group not asking an obvious question to check to ensure that there isn't a much easier way to solve a problem sooner, which is not only wasting folks time but also is an inefficient form of writing a story too.

Other Thoughts:

Now of the five's wishes, here's what I think and ultimately what I think the final ticket should be given to.

Applejack: While her wish and reason to attend the Grand Galloping Gala is easily the most selfless of the bunch as @Megas75 mentioned as she wishes to help her family out in a time of need and one i could see many hand their ticket over to her over others, however she has one of the weakest reasons for one to hand a ticket over and I'll explain why. As caring as AJ is about her family, she didn't thought things through with the type of crowd that is going to be at the grand galloping gala, Canterlot nobles who clearly have a different tastes and values over what a poorer country farm pony of Ponyville would have. Also, she doesn't really need the Grand Galloping Gala to start earning money for her family. She can easily go and make money and even more of it in a different place that has similar values and tastes as her own. To me this is a case of AJ wanting money so much and quickly that she wants to go for the big jackpot of the Canterlot Nobles who would be attending the Grand Galloping Gala and be having tons of money with them. As @RK_Striker_JK_5 mentioned in his comments below, AJ is also competing against entrees that are being served for free at the gala so even more reason for why folks would not be inclined to pay for her food when free food is available at the Grand Galloping Gala. Her poor research on what stuff they like and the free food there would ultimately doom her in that party and thus it would end up being a waste of time and sad moment for her.

Rainbow Dash: Again, this another case of somone wanting to jump for the chance to achieve their objective, in dashie's case to meet the wonderbolts, without doing proper research. The wonderbolts are attending a formal gathering of upperclass ponies that they themselves likely do business with at such gatherings. As a result, they'll be far more interested in such business endeavors to earn their favor, friendship, or earn sponsorships from in order to enhance their career. This is actually one of the worst times for Rainbow Dash to try to grab their attention so she can get the chance to join with them as they would be preoccupied trying to woo those sponsors, having a good time with them, and other assets from the upper class ponies of Canterlot themselves. Even if Dash did do enough to grab their attention, this would be the most likely outcome:

Wonderbolt: Ah thanks kid for your enthusiasm, but I'm busy trying to earn this mare's support and sponsorship for my own career. If you want to talk with me or my friends, come visit at our airshow at this time when we're signing for autographs, I'll be happy to discuss with you then.

Which by the way, visiting an airshow or an autograph signing is a far better time and opportunity for Dash to meet and talk with the Wonderbolts than a Grand Galloping Gala meeting simply cause at that day they'll be far more willing to talk with fans and listen in on what they have in mind or so as they won't have to be concerned about their career prospects other than to look well mannered to the fans or so. So again, poor research by RD would leave me not wanting me to give the ticket to her.

Pinkie Pie: While her desire to party is a simple enough working reason, however it's a reason that I feel she's jumping in for the sake of joining a party rather than a party she likes. Considering how energetic and buoyant Pinkie Pie is, she would not like the far more restrained, classical, and reserved party Canterlot elite like to throw for themselves. Thus she would end up sticking out like a sore thumb to which many would not appreciate her loud volume and she would likely end up being miserable cause she can't mesh with any of the party goers there as she ultimately ends up doing.

Rarity: While her desire to have a romantic night and to meet the affectionate target of her dreams in Prince Blueblood for marriage or so is a pretty strong reason to hand the ticket over, at the same time it's probably the biggest pipe dream of the bunch simply for the fact that it seems to be a fantasy of Rarity rather than something that is applicable. She wanted not the grand galloping gala itself but a romantic night with the prince himself which frankly it would've been better off if she chose to try to get to know him in another engagement such as being hired to do his dresses, hear other folk's opinions on him, or anything to size him up before she jumps for him. To make this point more striking, what if he chose not to deal with her or is busy with someone else, what else than for Rarity?

Fluttershy: While her wish to attend the grand galloping gala is a simple one in that she wishes to attend the Canterlot Gardens, I consider her request the strongest one and the one I would choose to hand the final ticket over. My reasons for this is because she states that the fauna would be in full bloom at the night of the Grand Galloping Gala so she is running on a time where she cannot attend at another time of the year or see in a different location. Since she seeks a specific location in Canterlot means it cannot be replicated elsewhere so it provides an even stronger reason why she deserves to have the ticket over the others.

Thus as mentioned, of the five, I would ultimately choose Fluttershy as I feel she has the best and strongest reason to attend the Grand Galloping Gala over the others.

Conclusion: Ticketmaster does a pretty good job at setting up the motivations and reasons for why the remane five should have the ticket over the other for Twilight and good first episode for the grand galloping gala arc for season 1. This in turn also reveals a bit more on the characters on our heroines in Pinkie, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash that many in the audience would like. Still, the eleven minute plot doubles it's length of time with fillers to compensate for meeting that 22 minute time slot, and it's plot only lasts as long because Twilight never bothered to ask Celestia if she could get more tickets till Celestia herself says that she should've done it sooner.

Score: 7.5/10

Grade: C

• Like 3

Another thing against Applejack's desire... ninety-nine times out of one-hundred, I'll take the free food over her stuff. Sorry, AJ. You may be my favorite of the Mane Six, but the wallet speaks louder.

One thing that's neglected to be mentioned... I'd bet dollars to donuts that what Twilight got was a form letter, and not something that Celestia wrote out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Another thing against Applejack's desire... ninety-nine times out of one-hundred, I'll take the free food over her stuff. Sorry, AJ. You may be my favorite of the Mane Six, but the wallet speaks louder.

One thing that's neglected to be mentioned... I'd bet dollars to donuts that what Twilight got was a form letter, and not something that Celestia wrote out.

I must put your critiques in my review, thank you.

6 hours ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

Nuke is not a bad name. I am doing my own little series. 

Thank you and nice of you to drop by. I'm following that thread now.

11 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

So I have return with another review, this time on the third episode of season 1 in Ticket Master.

Ticket Master, the third episode in the series and of season 1 is written by the collaborative efforts of Amy Keating Rogers and Lauren Faust, and story boarded by Alex Basio and Kevin Schmidt.

Originally, this episode was an eleven minute episode by Faust's hand before it went into production with Hasbro for Season 1. Amy Keating Rogers helped stretch the episode out to be a 22 minute episode to meet it's needed half hour time slot. One of the first scenes Hasbro used as part of FIM's trailers for the show was using scenes from this episode in Big Macintosh happily recieving his new plow in AJ's Grand Galloping Gala dream. Curiously, this would often be the first episode that many of the international dub releases would start with over the series's pilot. Many scenes from this episode would also be used in the IOS app: Twilight Sparkle Teacher for a day and it's Ruckus Reader version: Twilight's Sparkles Special Lesson.

In this episode, Twilight struggles to find which of her friends must she pick from to give one of two tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala as they all give her their reasons and motivations to attending the prestigious Grand Galloping Gala event.

Positives:

1. This episode does well to set up for the Grand Galloping Gala arc of Season 1 by showing us all of the remane five's desires to attend the Gala. This episode would be the start of the three episode arc of Season 1, the Grand Galloping Gala arc. Here this episode did what it set out to do very well which was to help give the motivations and goals each of the remane five outside of Twilight Sparkle. Here they are in order:

Applejack: Wishes to earn enough money from selling foods at the Grand Galloping Gala to give some needed repairs, new equipment, and a hip replacement surgery for Grannie Smith.

Rainbow Dash: Desires to meet the Wonderbolts and earn good favor with them so she can have a chance to join the Wonderbolts right than and there.

Pinkie Pie: Wishes to have fun at a party.

Rarity: Wishes to achieve the kind of romantic night she desires and ultimately be swept up her feet with Prince Blueblood.

Fluttershy: Wants the chance to see the Canterlot Gardens when in full bloom or so on the night of the Grand Galloping Gala to meet not only the fauna but the many animals there too.

All of this helps to establish a bit on their personalities that would prove endearing to the series such as AJ's selflessness to help her family, Rainbow Dash's need to impress the wonderbolts, Pinkie Pie's love to party, Rarity's romantic side, and Fluttershy's need to immerse herself with nature. This is another good spot by Lauren Faust in establishing the mane 6 about as well and quickly as one needs in the early parts of the season in order for the audience to quickly grow attached to them. I'll give Lauren credit as a writer that she knows how to get right to the necessary point of the  episode and does it well for a viewer to enjoy.

Negatives:

1. The episode was doubled the amount of material the story needed and it hinged on a pretty annoying plot premise of 'let's hope the person doesn't ask the question needed to quickly resolve the situation.' Still, the episode clearly showed how the story was an eleven minute episode for how after the first eleven minutes, the episode spends the rest of the episode over extending the plot with funny but filler gags in the remane five's attempt to woo Twilight to their side, which only frustrates Twilight in her earnest attempt to find which of the remane five is most worthy of it.

Than after all of that, they finally decide of how selfish each of them were towards Twilight (after Rainbow Dash bragged in victory till she got annoyed looks from em, which I thought she was being hilarious. This prompts Twilight to send the tickets back since if all of them can't go than none of them will, a good show of Twilight's growth too. However, this in turn has Celestia decide to simply send in more tickets and remark 'why didn't you say so' aka, why didn't you ask for the most obvious question sooner. As for folks wishing to criticize Celestia for being a troll or not sending more tickets to her friends initially, @RK_Striker_JK_5 mentioned below, what Twilight received at the start may have been a form letter (aka, a standard letter sent out to multiple folks with usually the same writing and details for the folks involved in order to make sending tons of the same letters out easier and smoother) instead of a personal letter sent from Princess Celestia herself.

I dislike plots like this as typically they're an idea that depends entirely on a group not asking an obvious question to check to ensure that there isn't a much easier way to solve a problem sooner, which is not only wasting folks time but also is an inefficient form of writing a story too.

Other Thoughts:

Now of the five's wishes, here's what I think and ultimately what I think the final ticket should be given to.

Applejack: While her wish and reason to attend the Grand Galloping Gala is easily the most selfless of the bunch as @Megas75 mentioned as she wishes to help her family out in a time of need and one i could see many hand their ticket over to her over others, however she has one of the weakest reasons for one to hand a ticket over and I'll explain why. As caring as AJ is about her family, she didn't thought things through with the type of crowd that is going to be at the grand galloping gala, Canterlot nobles who clearly have a different tastes and values over what a poorer country farm pony of Ponyville would have. Also, she doesn't really need the Grand Galloping Gala to start earning money for her family. She can easily go and make money and even more of it in a different place that has similar values and tastes as her own. To me this is a case of AJ wanting money so much and quickly that she wants to go for the big jackpot of the Canterlot Nobles who would be attending the Grand Galloping Gala and be having tons of money with them. As @RK_Striker_JK_5 mentioned in his comments below, AJ is also competing against entrees that are being served for free at the gala so even more reason for why folks would not be inclined to pay for her food when free food is available at the Grand Galloping Gala. Her poor research on what stuff they like and the free food there would ultimately doom her in that party and thus it would end up being a waste of time and sad moment for her.

Rainbow Dash: Again, this another case of somone wanting to jump for the chance to achieve their objective, in dashie's case to meet the wonderbolts, without doing proper research. The wonderbolts are attending a formal gathering of upperclass ponies that they themselves likely do business with at such gatherings. As a result, they'll be far more interested in such business endeavors to earn their favor, friendship, or earn sponsorships from in order to enhance their career. This is actually one of the worst times for Rainbow Dash to try to grab their attention so she can get the chance to join with them as they would be preoccupied trying to woo those sponsors, having a good time with them, and other assets from the upper class ponies of Canterlot themselves. Even if Dash did do enough to grab their attention, this would be the most likely outcome:

Wonderbolt: Ah thanks kid for your enthusiasm, but I'm busy trying to earn this mare's support and sponsorship for my own career. If you want to talk with me or my friends, come visit at our airshow at this time when we're signing for autographs, I'll be happy to discuss with you then.

Which by the way, visiting an airshow or an autograph signing is a far better time and opportunity for Dash to meet and talk with the Wonderbolts than a Grand Galloping Gala meeting simply cause at that day they'll be far more willing to talk with fans and listen in on what they have in mind or so as they won't have to be concerned about their career prospects other than to look well mannered to the fans or so. So again, poor research by RD would leave me not wanting me to give the ticket to her.

Pinkie Pie: While her desire to party is a simple enough working reason, however it's a reason that I feel she's jumping in for the sake of joining a party rather than a party she likes. Considering how energetic and buoyant Pinkie Pie is, she would not like the far more restrained, classical, and reserved party Canterlot elite like to throw for themselves. Thus she would end up sticking out like a sore thumb to which many would not appreciate her loud volume and she would likely end up being miserable cause she can't mesh with any of the party goers there as she ultimately ends up doing.

Rarity: While her desire to have a romantic night and to meet the affectionate target of her dreams in Prince Blueblood for marriage or so is a pretty strong reason to hand the ticket over, at the same time it's probably the biggest pipe dream of the bunch simply for the fact that it seems to be a fantasy of Rarity rather than something that is applicable. She wanted not the grand galloping gala itself but a romantic night with the prince himself which frankly it would've been better off if she chose to try to get to know him in another engagement such as being hired to do his dresses, hear other folk's opinions on him, or anything to size him up before she jumps for him. To make this point more striking, what if he chose not to deal with her or is busy with someone else, what else than for Rarity?

Fluttershy: While her wish to attend the grand galloping gala is a simple one in that she wishes to attend the Canterlot Gardens, I consider her request the strongest one and the one I would choose to hand the final ticket over. My reasons for this is because she states that the fauna would be in full bloom at the night of the Grand Galloping Gala so she is running on a time where she cannot attend at another time of the year or see in a different location. Since she seeks a specific location in Canterlot means it cannot be replicated elsewhere so it provides an even stronger reason why she deserves to have the ticket over the others.

Thus as mentioned, of the five, I would ultimately choose Fluttershy as I feel she has the best and strongest reason to attend the Grand Galloping Gala over the others.

Conclusion: Ticketmaster does a pretty good job at setting up the motivations and reasons for why the remane five should have the ticket over the other for Twilight and good first episode for the grand galloping gala arc for season 1. This in turn also reveals a bit more on the characters on our heroines in Pinkie, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash that many in the audience would like. Still, the eleven minute plot doubles it's length of time with fillers to compensate for meeting that 22 minute time slot, and it's plot only lasts as long because Twilight never bothered to ask Celestia if she could get more tickets till Celestia herself says that she should've done it sooner.

Score: 7.5/10

Grade: C

"Just bought 2 tickets to the gun show, and I'm not givin' 'em to ya; I'm goin' with your tickets, hahahahaha!" -- The Demoman (Team Fortress 2)

• Like 2

I think my perspective will be very different on the season 1 episodes. Just recalling back I know I didn't find mare Do well as bad as others people make it out to be. I do recall not liking the season 1 finale. That song went on for freaking years and the ending was bad. 

"Hey kids wrecking a party is okay." is basically the moral. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

I think my perspective will be very different on the season 1 episodes. Just recalling back I know I didn't find mare Do well as bad as others people make it out to be. I do recall not liking the season 1 finale. That song went on for freaking years and the ending it was bad. 

"Hey kids wrecking a party is okay." is basically the moral. 

I do agree that the mysterious mare do well is far from being the 'worst episode ever' as many make it out to be. It's just many remember it as the first episode the fandom actually considered to be bad on the spot without retrospective looks.

On the season 1 finale however, I love it, in fact I consider it the best finale in the show that hasn't been beaten since, and the moral is actually more of 'no matter how lousy of a time you're having, so long as you have some good friends with you to help support ya, you can still salvage a situation for the better.'

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

I do agree that the mysterious mare do well is far from being the 'worst episode ever' as many make it out to be. It's just many remember it as the first episode the fandom actually considered to be bad on the spot without retrospective looks.

On the season 1 finale however, I love it, in fact I consider it the best finale in the show that hasn't been beaten since, and the moral is actually more of 'no matter how lousy of a time you're having, so long as you have some good friends with you to help support ya, you can still salvage a situation for the better.'

I think they could have done that without wrecking the place. I also found the song to not only be long but kind of dumb. Seriously who says what they are going to do at a party? Anyway I found season 1 finale easily got beat out by season 2. 

Anyway I gotta say I really like how you review it isn't moreso you're ratings but how you approach this...you're million times better than the brony analysis community. 

Btw I never seen cutie mark Chronicles before. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

I think they could have done that without wrecking the place. I also found the song to not only be long but kind of dumb. Seriously who says what they are going to do at a party? Anyway I found season 1 finale easily got beat out by season 2. 

Anyway I gotta say I really like how you review it isn't moreso you're ratings but how you approach this...you're million times better than the brony analysis community. 

Btw I never seen cutie mark Chronicles before. 

It wasn't their intention to wreck it. They were trying to spice the party up their way but due to accidents from them trying too hard and Fluttershy's animals coming in to wreck the party sealed it. Also, it seems Celestia wanted to stick it to the nobles considering how pleased she was with what the mane 6 did after it. To add, I do love the Grand Galloping Gala song too. I just love Best Night Ever.

That's fine if you like the S2 finale over the S1 though, I do like some things in the S2 too.

Thank you very much for your compliment. I aim to do as best as I can with my reviews and to ensure many in the audience can agree or feel at home to discuss what they think on the episode or so.

You should as Cutie Mark Chronicles is easily one of S1's best and most important episodes it has. I wholly recommend you to watch it.

13 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

It wasn't their intention to wreck it. They were trying to spice the party up their way but due to accidents from them trying too hard and Fluttershy's animals coming in to wreck the party sealed it. Also, it seems Celestia wanted to stick it to the nobles considering how pleased she was with what the mane 6 did after it. To add, I do love the Grand Galloping Gala song too. I just love Best Night Ever.

That's fine if you like the S2 finale over the S1 though, I do like some things in the S2 too.

Thank you very much for your compliment. I aim to do as best as I can with my reviews and to ensure many in the audience can agree or feel at home to discuss what they think on the episode or so.

You should as Cutie Mark Chronicles is easily one of S1's best and most important episodes it has. I wholly recommend you to watch it.

Keep that up man. And oh Celestia little bit there was fine since it showed us that she was your boring political leader. Which is why I don't hate the character as many others do. 

Also I know everyone tells me that. I don't know how i missed it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

Keep that up man. And oh Celestia little bit there was fine since it showed us that she was your boring political leader. Which is why I don't hate the character as many others do. 

Also I know everyone tells me that. I don't know how i missed it. 

Mhm, I shall.

Aye, I do like Celestia very much and yes, it pains me to see how she's treated in the show.

Correct that as you will certainly be pleased with the episode.

I'm with @MasterSaruwatari on the Gala. I don't care if it was accidental or not, they wrecked a party. A party that, quite frankly, I'd vastly prefer to anything Pinkie Pie would throw. So it wasn't what they thought it was? Too bad, assholes!

As for the Canterlot 'nobles', which I put in quotes because none of them, with the exception of Blueblood, have any titles assigned to them, what in God's green earth did these ponies do to deserve such vile hatred and bile heaped upon them?! They like a fancy party? They go to art galleries and wear fancy clothes? Pillage and burn them! Kill them all!

Yeah, I'm pissed by that attitude. The absolute WORST you can say is that Blueblood is a jerk. not like the mad god Discord, who mind-raped people for shits and giggles, Sombra, whose mere memory caused PTSD in the Crystal Ponies, Chrysalis who invaded. Nope, the canterlot populace are horrible, evil scum.

As for Celestia? Why didn't she talk about her feelings towards it? Hell, she's in charge of the whole damned thing! Say something. Don't ruin the night for ponies who worship the ground you walk on! She did, if not the most immature thing possible, then close to the damned bottom.

I'm sorry. I'm just... I'm so tired  of this attitude towards them. I'm so tired of them being treated like dirt by large segments of the fandom for no reason. I've heard the Gala be described as a 'pit of vipers', or 'pony Versailles', which is basically a scheming court of assholes. Meanwhile Discord, Chryaslis, Sombra all get woobie bullshit fanon heaped upon them, when they've been actual monsters.

• Like 1

Uh...if I can give a nicer version of what Striker is trying to say. We never really saw the nobles be jerks outside of blue blood and the ones did see were minding their own business. While I still liked what Celestia said you shouldn't have to wreck a party. I mean all the things they wanted to do could without getting pissy. I mean if I can say the best thing about this episode. It has to be the humor. The finale was really funny. 

• Like 1