29 minutes ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Because of how much an asshole Dash is to Twilight.

There is a trope where one who makes fun of another eventually becomes their date. Not saying that's the case for Dash and Twilight, just that some TwiDash fans can interpret it that way.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ChB said:

I don't find a string of coincidence, which happens in real-life, to be necessarily a bad thing. I do get your point, though, of how it can reduce a character to nothing more than a plot device. Perhaps a better way it could have been handled is if Cheerilee herself taught the class about the origin of Hearts and Hooves Day. The class would find it boring, of course, but it leads up to a "Aha!" moment for the CMC. After feeling stumped for a while, one of the them remembers what they learned in class. 

I hear ya, I didn't thought it was terrible, just a case of convenience happening for the plot to move forward was in my view the problem.

• Like 2

Today, I' am going to review on the forty fourth episode of the Friendship is Magic series and it's eighteenth episode of it's season 2, A friend in deed. It is written by Amy Keating Rogers and it's storyboard artists are Tom Sales and Corey Toomey. 

On October 2011, then showrunner and supervising director, Jayson Thiessen shared two cryptic tweets on his twitter account. These are stop motion set ups that would show itself to have been used for the scene for Pinkie Pie's imagination that would be animated in felt. His wife, Jocelan, would help cut the felt shapes for it and Jayson himself would animate the felt rigs for this animation. On November 2015, Amy Keating Rogers would share herself a cut scene from the episode where it would show Rainbow Dash resisting advances from a pony named Gallop-A-Gus when Pinkie Pie was talking to Twilight about Cranky Doodle.

Pinkie Pie meets a newcomer in ponyville that spurns any attempts of friendship from her for his own reasons which she wishes to persist as part of her mission to make everyone happy.

Positives:

1. Several callbacks were shown in this episode for continuity. In giving continuity a shoutout, they showed the following:

A.  latest?cb=20130106041555

The babies from the Baby cakes episode for which Pinkie Pie is still tending to as a babysitter.

B. latest?cb=20140417210412

Rainbow Dash is still reading the Daring Do books after her episode Read it and weep. 

These two callbacks from earlier Season 2 episodes was a good move to show a bit of concern for continuity to placate the more avid fans in the fandom.

2. The Smile song in the episode is sublime and a couple of other tunes such as a parody of Yankee Doodle and the welcome song enhance the entertainment factor with the musics shown in the episode. The Smile song is easily one of the show's bests in the series period. The reasoning for this is not only for the cheerful melody and lyrics sung by Pinkie Pie but if there was any segment or so that I would use that would best describe Pinkie Pie and her mission to make everyone happy, it would be that song itself.

latest?cb=20120219225024

Helps we see a happy pink pony too. 

Soon after that, we get a couple more songs such as the song and dance Pinkie Pie gives to any newcomers of Ponyville, and especially a parody of Yankee Doodle to the tune of 'Cranky Doodle'. Either way the songs in this episode are one of the episode's biggest highlights.

3. We are given a new donkey character in the series who holds an interesting past and tale of him trying to find his lost love. On this note, we are given a new donkey character in the series in Cranky Doodle, a reserved and somewhat bitter donkey of how life had given to him. 

latest?cb=20120220153836

He's not a happy camper. 

Pinkie Pie's actions are not going to please me for reasons I'll explain below, but if there is one thing that I need to make mention of is that she does with intention to make him happy and cheerful and does go and try to make amends for what she had done to him. Now this eventually does reveal a couple of things in Cranky in that he has a reserved personality where he prefers the peace and not anything rambunctious. He does not like to be referred to as Doodle save for one mare. He's bald and is pretty sensitive about it and would wear toupees to mask that spot. And the reason for his dour state of mood is because a while ago, he had lost the love of his life in another donkey named Matilda due to missing a letter from her. Since then, he has tried to find her for many years until eventually he gave up after searching for so long with nothing to indicate where she was. Thus he planned on settling down in ponyville where he hoped to spend the rest of his days to simmer with the fond memories he had for Matilda.

latest?cb=20120222003847

That is until Pinkie Pie managed to put it together from his cryptic sayings and founded the person he was looking for in Ponyville.

Say what you want about how poor Pinkie Pie was in the episode, which as I said there is plenty to say she is, but give credit to Pinkie for finding Matilda for Cranky, which allowed him to be as happy as he's ever been in a long while. His noir flashbacks put a nice twist and tale of toil and hardship in Cranky that makes him a rather interesting character for folks to pick up on for fanfics to write more detail about him. Either way, he's still an effective character that one can like and even admire for the long but not infallible tenacity he had to finding Matilda, the one love of his life.

4. The lesson at the end that different people of different ways to interact and express care with friends, but all like to be happy too is a good lesson that I like. The lesson that it's important to take into account of how different folks have different ways to expressing interests with friends. Some are energetic and like to be very sociable with folks and others like to be quiet and reserved as they prefer to keep to themselves most of the time and interact only if they want to. Either way, such groups like to be happy so it's your task to respect how they engage in friendships and find ways to make them happy to be your friend. 

latest?cb=20120222011457

Just got to remember that, Pinkie.

Negatives:

1. Pinkie Pie was poorly characterized throughout the episode whether it's due to her oblivious behavior to Cranky or how stalkerish she becomes at one point to get him to accept her apology. Now this maybe the only flaw of the episode that I saw, but it's a pretty major one. Throughout the episode, Pinkie Pie in her attempts to make Cranky Doodle happy was pretty poor in her behavior whether it's for:

A. Ignoring his initial requests to not touch his stuff.

B. Blowing his toupee out and stomping on it when she thought it was some creature attacking her.

C. Announce to everyone in Ponyville how bald he is in an attempt to help him out but not see how sensitive he is about being bald.

D. Touching his stuff again and burning the one link he had to Matilda on accident. Which would piss him off to no end.

E. In an attempt to have him accept her apology, she harassed and chased him all across the surrounding area of Ponyville and parts of Equestria despite him clearly wanting to be left alone. 

latest?cb=20120429195836

Yea you weren't good in this episode Pinkie.

Now to be fair to her characterization, many of the stuff she had caused were mitigated by her attempts to make amends for Cranky such as giving him a new and custom made toupee by Rarity and finding Matilda for him at the end. However, this to me was one of Pinkie Pie's poorest characterizations in the series for how oblivious she is towards Cranky, which I know is a major flaw with her character that she doesn't quite understand the context of a situation at times and does make amends for it to be fair, how it seemed she didn't listened or cared for what Cranky Doodle says not to do, which is a much bigger offense, how she caused damage to him whether it's stomping on his toupee or burning his book simply cause she forgot to where the batter should go and again touching stuff she shouldn't, but that ain't the most aggravating offense she had done in the episode. The most damning she had done was when she wanted Cranky to accept her apology, she decides that she should harass him across Equestria and force him to not only move around to be away from her to no avail, but she even got him to act terrified of her at the end until she brought Matilda.

latest?cb=20130106072958

When you got someone terrified at the mere mention of your voice when you're trying to make them happy, perhaps it's time to stop and reflect on what you did wrong and how you can fix it.

I believe it's rather fortunate the song Smile was the most memorable thing about the episode and how Pinkie did make amends at the end of it cause remember how folks hated Pinkie Pie for her behavior towards Fluttershy in Filli Vanilli? I believe this episode would get torn apart otherwise for how poor Pinkie Pie's behavior was towards Cranky. Again, if not for her making amends for what she did to Cranky and finding Matilda for him, I would rate this episode pretty lowly for how Pinkie Pie behaved.

Conclusion: Despite my dislike for Pinkie Pie's characterization in the episode, it does at least mitigate some of the impact she had caused. A Friend in deed had many good ideas and with better execution would make a stellar episode but is harmed instead by it's poor choices for Pinkie Pie's actions to Cranky. Still the good ideas it did have prove very effective in the long run such as having that awesome smile song, introducing us to Cranky and Matilda that would prove to have an important role in episode one hundred of the series and a good lesson others need to heed that folks have different ways to interact with friends and it should be respected as a result. 

Score: 7.5/10

Grade: C

• Like 4

@Nuke87654

A Friend in Deed:

Things I liked about this episode:

• The Smile Song
  • The moral

Things I disliked about this episode:

• Everything Pinkie Pie did to try to convince Cranky Doodle Donkey to be friends with her.

Particularly, when she was stalking him & trying to apologize.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Nuke87654

A Friend in Deed:

• The Smile Song
  • The moral

Things I disliked about this episode:

• Everything Pinkie Pie did to try to convince Cranky Doodle Donkey to be friends with her.

Particularly, when she was stalking him & trying to apologize.

Whole heartily agree with those points. Thank you for posting your thoughts. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

A friend in deed: Despite my dislike for Pinkie Pie's characterization in the episode, it does at least mitigate some of the impact she had caused. A Friend in deed had many good ideas and with better execution would make a stellar episode but is harmed instead by it's poor choices for Pinkie Pie's actions to Cranky. Still the good ideas it did have prove very effective in the long run such as having that awesome smile song, introducing us to Cranky and Matilda that would prove to have an important role in episode one hundred of the series and a good lesson others need to heed that folks have different ways to interact with friends and it should be respected as a result. 

Score: 7.5/10

Grade: C

I would have thought that Pinkie's behavior with Cranky was just a good portrayal of character flaws leading up to a good character development, if it wasn't for a few of the things she did. Her loud announcement of Cranky's baldness, for example, made her sound like a jerk, not just an extrovert who doesn't understand introverts. Her antics got me annoyed, but like you said, her amends at the end more than made up for it.

And words cannot describe how much I Love Love Love the Smile Smile Smile!

• Like 3

Just now, ChB said:

I would have thought that Pinkie's behavior with Cranky was just a good portrayal of character flaws leading up to a good character development, if it wasn't for a few of the things she did. Her loud announcement of Cranky's baldness, for example, made her sound like a jerk, not just an extrovert who doesn't understand introverts. Her antics got me annoyed, but like you said, her amends at the end more than made up for it.

And words cannot describe how much I Love Love Love the Smile Smile Smile!

It was mainly for how damaging Pinkie Pie was in the episode where it was literally her making Cranky's life more miserable until she founded matilda at the end. Sure she made amends for it at the end, but those problems were caused by Pinkie Pie and wouldn't have come to that if she had chosen to simply listen and respect instead of ignoring him and just doing whatever she wanted.

Also compared to other episodes, I felt this one was weaker than say Hearts and Hooves day as fundumentally, it's flaws weren't as bad as say this one was while Hearts and Hooves just does enough positives to even it out to where I preferred hearts and hooves over A friend in deed despite having a more impactful list of positives.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

It was mainly for how damaging Pinkie Pie was in the episode where it was literally her making Cranky's life more miserable until she founded matilda at the end. Sure she made amends for it at the end, but those problems were caused by Pinkie Pie and wouldn't have come to that if she had chosen to simply listen and respect instead of ignoring him and just doing whatever she wanted.

Also compared to other episodes, I felt this one was weaker than say Hearts and Hooves day as fundumentally, it's flaws weren't as bad as say this one was while Hearts and Hooves just does enough positives to even it out to where I preferred hearts and hooves over A friend in deed despite having a more impactful list of positives.

Good points. It felt like Rogers got carried away and went overboard in demonstrating how flawed Pinkie Pie is, in terms of failing to understand reserved and quiet people. 

Anypony else got reminded of Cranky Kong?

Cranky_doodle_donkey_cranky_kong_crossov

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nuke87654 said:

Whole heartily agree with those points. Thank you for posting your thoughts. 

You're welcome.

Oh, I also didn't like when Pinkie Pie yelled about poor Cranky Doodles toupee-less head in front of that crowd. Not cool, Ms. Pie.

• Like 2

I hate this episode. I hate hate hate HATE HATE HATE HATE this episode so fucking much. By the end I wanted to kill Pinkie deader than dead. I wanted her to burn and...

The worst part for me? the fucking nadir of this piece of shit? When at the end we get the asspulls of asspulls and Pinkie fucking gets away with her shit. No, episode. You do NOT fucking have the character who appeared for five fucking seconds show up at the end and absolve Pinkie of everything and have Cranky become her friend. Fuck you. Fuck this episode. Fuck Pinkie.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChB said:

Good points. It felt like Rogers got carried away and went overboard in demonstrating how flawed Pinkie Pie is, in terms of failing to understand reserved and quiet people. 

Anypony else got reminded of Cranky Kong?

Hide contents

Cranky_doodle_donkey_cranky_kong_crossov

Yea, despite Amy saying Pinkie is her favorite, it seems she struggles to write Pinkie Pie in her episodes. As for the reference, I agree with that one. He'd make a good cranky.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

I hate this episode. I hate hate hate HATE HATE HATE HATE this episode so fucking much. By the end I wanted to kill Pinkie deader than dead. I wanted her to burn and...

The worst part for me? the fucking nadir of this piece of shit? When at the end we get the asspulls of asspulls and Pinkie fucking gets away with her shit. No, episode. You do NOT fucking have the character who appeared for five fucking seconds show up at the end and absolve Pinkie of everything and have Cranky become her friend. Fuck you. Fuck this episode. Fuck Pinkie.

To be fair, she showed genuine remorse and did said how she knew and figure it out. It was acceptable considering Pinkie Pie's sociable and intimate knowledge she has with folks in Ponyville. I still agree with you that Pinkie Pie was not good in this episode.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

To be fair, she showed genuine remorse and did said how she knew and figure it out. It was acceptable considering Pinkie Pie's sociable and intimate knowledge she has with folks in Ponyville. I still agree with you that Pinkie Pie was not good in this episode.

Not acceptable to me. Matilda was onscreen for five seconds. And the whole train of thought was convoluted almost insulting how it forced a happy ending. Pinkie Pie didn't deserve Cranky's friendship. She didn't deserve to win in the end.

Sorry. This episode, for lack of a better term, triggers intense hatred for me. Have you read my own review of it?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Not acceptable to me. Matilda was onscreen for five seconds. And the whole train of thought was convoluted almost insulting how it forced a happy ending. Pinkie Pie didn't deserve Cranky's friendship. She didn't deserve to win in the end.

Sorry. This episode, for lack of a better term, triggers intense hatred for me. Have you read my own review of it?

I have and I can understand as I'm a fellow introvert too and is why I'm not a fan of Pinkie Pie's characterization of it either. The reason why I don't consider it an asspull lies in Pinkie's characterization of her getting to know folks so that way she can understand them better and to help make them happy. Sure she had a huge problem dealing with an introvert and clearly had no idea how to deal with one at such level Cranky was and she should be admonished for being a jackass towards him, but it's not as if Pinkie Pie was entirely malicious throughout. She did tried to make amends for him that even he appreciated  and it made sense as I said for why she would figure it out considering her interactions with other folks in Ponyville that S5 would directly show.

Still you have every right to be pissed the fuck off for Pinkie Pie's behavior in the episode as she still was an oblivious ass to Cranky that caused more harm than helped.

• Like 3

Today I'm going to review the forty fifth episode of Friendship is Magic series and it's nineteenth episode of it's second season, Putting your Hoof Down. The story of it was crafted by Charlotte Fullerton but she couldn't finish it so Merriwether Williams finished writing the script for it and it's storyboard artists are Joel Dickie and Emmett Hall.

The Minotaur character Iron Will was inspired by the famed WWE wrestler Hulk Hogan with his hand gestures that mimic several of Hulk's taunts. One of the layout artists added in Easter eggs in this episode that originally weren't supposed to be there in the marketplace scene. These are Pipsqueak, Sweetie Drops, and Lyra Heartstrings. 

After reading up on a brochure, Fluttershy seeks the aid of a Minotaur who promises his seminars and lessons will help turn Fluttershy to being assertive when she needs it the most.

Positives:

1. I enjoyed Iron Will's character the most out of this episode. 

latest?cb=20120307074443

The reference to Hulk Hogan is pretty apparent here. And it's part of the reason why I like him.

Now I want to give special recognition to Iron Will, the Minotaur character in this episode. I really enjoyed his persona in the episode for that boisterous personality and voice he had that can ring bells to similar hulk hogan like personalities like Hercule Satan from DBZ. Despite his persona, he can also walk the talk too with his assertiveness seminars where they not only provide good lessons on how to be assertive in different circumstances when the situation calls for it and this would bear fruit in Fluttershy in her improved assertiveness until she took it to a direction he never intended it for.

latest?cb=20120307075016

To strike home how effective his lesson is, he specifically chose the one pony in the crowd who didn't raised her hoof knowing that they're the ones who need his help the most.

Considering the crap that happened in this episode, Iron Will was really the only one to have emerged from this episode that I held sympathy for considering the many problems I will explain in a bit. For now, Iron Will was one of the few positives that this episode held.

2. This episode can also be considered the first to help Fluttershy become a more assertive pony that would eventually pay itself in the later seasons and show off it a bit in Season 2. Now I'm going to give this episode credit for giving one development for Fluttershy in the regard of her becoming a more assertive pony. I will say that it was not especially well executed or so but to it's credit, it has proven overtime to be an effective character development for her as she does make use of it in the later parts of the show that will give her some of her best moments in the series. In season 2 however, it will be used as a point the show will make to use for how she developed her character or so such as refusing to go dragon seeing despite Rainbow Dash insisting she does so. 

latest?cb=20120305110544

Just that she's really really bad here.

3. There was a 'Duck Season, Rabbit Season,' joke in this episode with Pinkie Pie trying to manipulate the shopkeeper to accept one bit instead of two bits.

latest?cb=20120306082312

While I'm not going to say I like the scene when put into context of the situation, but I will give them credit for putting a homage joke to one of Looney Tunes classic humor with the Duck Season and Rabbit Season joke.

Negatives:

1. Ponyville suddenly got struck the asshole disease for how many belligerent ponies were in this episode. While it is not to say that Ponyville itself has shown to be innocent at times as Bridle Gossip has shown, but here this was one of the most malicious showcases of Ponyville folks I have seen on the show. 

latest?cb=20120307073604

A typical sight of what they do to Fluttershy in this episode before her assertiveness training kicked in. 

In a bad case of Author fiat, the folks in Ponyville were abhorrent assholes to Fluttershy as they abused her either by cutting her, taking advantage of her meekness, ignoring her deliberately, and even using force to knock her aside. This was done simply to push Fluttershy to seek assertiveness training when it was needed. Frankly this just paints both the narrative and Ponyville in a bad light for what the writing did to Ponyville's otherwise cheerful and pleasant folks and of how they came off as complete assholes in the episode. This remains one of their worst characterizations in any part of the series to date.

latest?cb=20120304230123

It didn't help that Rainbow Dash decided to dress up as some 80's glam girl or so. 

2.  Pinkie Pie and Rarity were terrible in this episode for a couple of reasons. Despite both of them being on the receiving end of one of the most grievous insults this show has done, neither of them were sympathetic in this episode for their poor behavior. The following reasons why are:

A. They not only show how they themselves don't know what being assertive is despite their insistence they did but they manipulated ponies who were doing nothing wrong to Fluttershy. This was one problem that I saw with them immediately as while they were trying to help their friend out, it was apparent they themselves had no idea what being assertive is and are in fact mistaking it for manipulation. To make it worse, they were doing it against a pony who was merely getting his asparagus that no one was in line at the time and conning money that the shopkeeper herself had written was the needed amount to pay for bits. They were ponies who had done nothing wrong to Fluttershy but yet they're the ones Pinkie Pie and Rarity tricked for the sake of their friend and yet we're expected to see their actions as good and that they were showing how to be assertive instead of being manipulative they actually were acting.

latest?cb=20120310182638

They're doing nothing wrong here by conning a pony out of his earned Asparagus for their friend's sake/s. At least she gave a coin for him. 

B. They kept referring Iron Will as a monster repeatedly which indicates some racist undertones from them and blaming Iron Will for Fluttershy becoming such an abusive asshole to ponies. This was perhaps their most aggravating thing they had done in the episode as they kept referring Iron Will as a monster which Fluttershy kept correcting them on angrily which would indicate racism from their part that really dampened their characterization in the episode from my favor, but especially is of how they kept trying to avoid blaming it on Fluttershy and instead blamed Iron Will for his lessons. While I will go more into detail for why that's an issue in a bit, but for the racism part, yea whatever sympathy you could've had for Pinkie and Rarity in the episode was removed for how abhorrent they were behaving towards Iron Will behind his back.

latest?cb=20130304021904

If only he knew the shit they were talking about him. 

These reasons give ample points for why Pinkie Pie and Rarity not only were characterized poorly but of how it makes it hard for one such as I to like them in the episode and why they were probably even worse than Fluttershy's characterization wise in this episode as at least she had a positive development for her character from this in the long run while they gained nothing good from this episode.

3. Angel suffered his worst characterization in the series too. One other character that was very bad and in fact had his worst characterization in the whole series was Angel, Fluttershy's pet rabbit. While Angel himself is typically a jerk anyways, this was done usually in humor and he never quite pushes it to asshole levels. In this episode though, because this was him seriously wanting a salad dish and because Fluttershy didn't filled it exactly as he wanted it, he kicked it out and had Fluttershy feel in despair for how meek she is and would further push her to seek assertiveness in herself. 

latest?cb=20120306084557

Even Fluttershy's pets are assholes here.

This wouldn't do well for Angel as many would hate the little leporidae due to how little else he had to go for him. It would take the later seasons for him to really start regaining the fandom's interests in him. Here that hate train for him would only churn up to full power. 

4. Fluttershy became an even bigger abusive asshole than her discorded form and uttered one of the most abhorrent insults this show has ever shown. Now here's an important thing to do when writing a character. if at any point you write a corrupted evil version of them, remember to ensure that your character when normal never hits and exceeds such highs in villainy that his/her corrupted form does make for it only makes your character look terrible for it. 

In this episode, while they did showed off how effective her assertiveness lessons from Iron Will were and she did showed effective defense and firmness of her stance to ensure folks don't push her around or so. However, there came a point when she took the lessons too far and became a bully for it. Now this wouldn't be a bad point honestly if it was restrained to where she wasn't pushing over her discorded form in bad behavior as it can be used for an effective narration where Fluttershy learns of how far she is pushing it and needs to stop herself from becoming something else.

latest?cb=20120313075148

Figuratively and literally speaking.

However, they pushed it way too far when she insulted Pinkie Pie and Rarity's passions in their life and called them frivolous and how they wasted their whole lives to such interests which would cause Pinkie Pie and Rarity to cry out in distraught over it. Here is what she said:

Fluttershy: Oh, and what are you passionate about? Birthday cake? Party hats? I can't believe that the two most frivolous ponies in Ponyville are trying to tell new Fluttershy how to live her life when they are throwing their own lives away on pointless pursuits that nopony else gives a flying feather about!

latest?cb=20121012221142

And thus ended one of the worst scenes to have ever happened in the show.

Now here are the reasons why that scene was so horrible for Fluttershy.

A. She out did her corrupted Discorded form, a persona that was supposed to be Fluttershy at her worst behavior, in being an abusive asshole to her friends. As I mentioned, they went too far with the insults and ended up making even Discorded Fluttershy look better in comparison.

B. She directly attacked her friend's livelihoods and essentially said they wasted their whole lives doing such things. Telling someone they had wasted their life doing something they genuinely like is often one of the worst insults you can say to a person so this makes Fluttershy's attack vicious as hell and towards her own friends especially.

C. The fact she said those things gives an indication that this is what she genuinely thinks of them but had bottled it up all along until she had the will and assertiveness to say it to their face. This is perhaps the most damning thing for Fluttershy in that scene in how that because she had said it after she had become more assertive, this gives a very very dark belief that this is what she genuinely believes in what Rarity and Pinkie Pie are doing. That what they're doing is frivolous, simple, and wasteful of their time in life and that she thinks that they are wasting their lives away going after such passions that nobody cares about despite how successful they are at it.

That scene alone killed alot of love the fandom had with Fluttershy as many were horrified at how terribly behaved she was towards her friends and her popularity suffered a big setback for it. Coupled with perhaps DHX getting cold feet on her assertiveness character development from the backlash, she would suffer even more as her character regressed in S3 and S4. It would take until S5 for her to really start recovering for the better and became perhaps the best m6 character in S6 just to further highlight of how far reaching this episode was. Granted, the assertiveness would prove a positive in the end for how it helped her out in a few Season 5 and 6 episodes, but until than, Fluttershy's character will suffer for what happened in this one scene in Putting your Hoof Down.

5. Despite what Fluttershy had done in the episode, the narrative tries to paint Iron Will as at fault for her behavior done by her own hands. This further infuriated me more was of how the narrative wanted you to hate Iron Will as the characters and dialogue tried to paint him as the bad guy despite the fact he himself had done nothing wrong or even caused Fluttershy to take his lessons beyond what he intended and used them to be a bully towards anyone that annoyed her. This is the equivalent of blaming a gun instructor when one of his students shoots up a school simply cause he took his instructions and decided to shoot a school up. It's completely unfair for the instructor to be blamed when their student decides to twist and abuse their lesson to something much more dangerous. If anything, Iron Will was actually the only good person in the episode as every single character besides him were belligerent assholes to everyone in some shape or form. They held more credence to being cast as villains than he was and yet he gets the unfair treatment of being marketed as one. As final insult to him, when his lessons did work, because Fluttershy used a legal loophole to get out of paying him the money he was justifiably owed for how effective they were because she wasn't 100% satisfied, he lost out on money from her. 

latest?cb=20120706091824

So who is the villain here? It's certainly not Iron Will, the only character that was actually good here.

Conclusion: Putting your Hoof Down can be argued as the worst episode in season 2 that I have seen yet. With how everyone in ponyville, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Angel, and Fluttershy all turned into abusive assholes in this episode that the whole MLP theme should be changed to Dennis Leary's 'I'm an asshole' song to best describe how everyone but Iron Will behaved in the episode. If it weren't for how Fluttershy's assertiveness eventually does bear fruit and prove to be a positive development for her in the long run, I'd want to consider this episode an atrocity grade. Instead it barely escapes it.

Score: 4.0/10

Grade: F

• Like 1

1. Ponyville suddenly got struck the asshole disease for how many belligerent ponies were in this episode. While it is not to say that Ponyville itself has shown to be innocent at times as Bridle Gossip has shown, but here this was one of the most malicious showcases of Ponyville folks I have seen on the show. 

Another case of author fiat, here. I... really don't recall the townsfolk ever being this assholish before or since.

In a bad case of Author fiat, the folks in Ponyville were abhorrent assholes to Fluttershy as they abused her either by cutting her, taking advantage of her meekness, ignoring her deliberately, and even using force to knock her aside. This was done simply to push Fluttershy seek assertiveness training when it was needed. Frankly this just paints both the narrative and Ponyville in a bad light for what the writing did to Ponyville's otherwise cheerful and pleasant folks and of how they came off as complete assholes in the episode. This remains one of their worst characterizations in any part of the series to date.

Exactly!

Only thing I disagree with you is this episode being the worst of season two. We all know which one that is for me. ;) But yeah. Only good thing about this is Iron Will. He's an all right guy. Real stand-up. Other than that, this episode might as well have been called, "My Little Asshole: Jackasses are Everywhere."

• Like 2

@Nuke87654

Putting Your Hoof Down:

• The "duck season rabbit season" joke.
  • Iron Will

Things I didn't like about this episode:

• *That* scene with Fluttershy attacking Rarity & Pinkie Pie's livelihoods because, it felt *too* honest.

In fact, that scene turned Fluttershy into my least favorite Mane 6 character.

• The rest of the town being jerks because, of plot convenience. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Another case of author fiat, here. I... really don't recall the townsfolk ever being this assholish before or since.

Exactly!

Only thing I disagree with you is this episode being the worst of season two. We all know which one that is for me. ;) But yeah. Only good thing about this is Iron Will. He's an all right guy. Real stand-up. Other than that, this episode might as well have been called, "My Little Asshole: Jackasses are Everywhere."

I agree very much on the obvious author fiat they used.

The worst episode in S2 I've seen yet, I agree there's one more incoming for me. Iron Will deserved better considering all the assholes he had to work with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Nuke87654

Putting Your Hoof Down:

• The "duck season rabbit season" joke.
  • Iron Will

Things I didn't like about this episode:

• *That* scene with Fluttershy attacking Rarity & Pinkie Pie's livelihoods because, it felt *too* honest.

In fact, that scene turned Fluttershy into my least favorite Mane 6 character.

• The rest of the town being jerks because, of plot convenience. 

The *honest* word is the correct one to describe how bad that scene it was. It felt like how she actually felt about them with nothing to hold her back. And yea, author fiat is annoying.

• Like 1

@RK_Striker_JK_5 @Nuke87654: I'm looking at your synopses for S2, and I can't believe that the worst episodes there (especially "A Friend In Deed" and "Putting Your Hoof Down") are just as bad, if not worse, than the worst episodes of S6. Either the show's staff hasn't learned much from its mistakes or the more diehard fans of Faust and the Larson-McCarthy-Rogers team have rose-tinted glasses super-glued to their faces. I know that's a bit harsh for the latter choice, but that's how I feel.

EDIT: Also, I think the episode would have been a bit more tolerable if Iron Will played a part in bringing Fluttershy back to Earth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WaterPulse said:

@RK_Striker_JK_5 @Nuke87654: I'm looking at your synopses for S2, and I can't believe that the worst episodes there (especially "A Friend In Deed" and "Putting Your Hoof Down") are just as bad, if not worse, than the worst episodes of S6. Either the show's staff hasn't learned much from its mistakes or the more diehard fans of Faust and the Larson-McCarthy-Rogers team have rose-tinted glasses super-glued to their faces. I know that's a bit harsh for the latter choice, but that's how I feel.

EDIT: Also, I think the episode would have been a bit more tolerable if Iron Will played a part in bringing Fluttershy back to Earth.

Or both. It's very easy to remember only the good parts, especially when comparing it to things considered bad in the present.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WaterPulse said:

A friend In Deed is more a personal hate, but barring one or two things the episode really did suck.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WaterPulse said:

Yea, honestly I feel that many who say how superior the first two seasons are tend to forget of how some of the worst episodes happened in S1 and S2, this one is such example. Hell, I think Season 2 is perhaps the show's most overrated simply how folks say S2 was the last good season or so but yet after the brilliant start it had, it was a very mixed bag the rest of the way. While Season 6 is not a favorite of mine, I do feel that part of the reason why it's so hated is because the fandom is much more critical than it was before. Had say this episode first aired today, folks would utterly hate DHX for what they did to Fluttershy much like RD fans for Newbie Dash.

As for that part, honestly if they had focused on not making him a villain and maybe actually have him try to help her out, that can be one great way to end the episode too. Good idea, @WaterPulse

20 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

Or both. It's very easy to remember only the good parts, especially when comparing it to things considered bad in the present.

I'd say so, though I feel it's more the faustian fans than the McCarthy, Amy, and Larson fans due to how more rabid the former fans are. Hilariously, with the exception of McCarthy, Amy started off pretty bad in season 1 and Larson took a bit before he really hit his stride though season 2 was easily his worst season on this show.