On 02/03/2017 at 6:46 PM, Nuke87654 said:

If I were to bring the comics involved, it would be such a case as the upper class ponies aren't exactly on friendly terms with her.

First, I'm sorry for taking this long to reply. Turns out Horizon Zero Dawn is a bigger time sink than I thought. This interaction between Celestia and the nobility interests me, but since I've left the comics behind some time ago, I may have missed this. Which issue are you talking about?

we see in Sweet and Elite that they for the most part seem to have their own views on what a party is and if not for a few nobles like Fancy Pants essentially telling them to like this cause I do, they would show scorn for anything that they consider beneath them The nobles are not be a bad group and get an undeserved bad rep, but like any other group, they also have their own views that they wish to have With the party that they like for the princess to enforce it hence why she has to do the same old song and dance for them each year or so as the GGG is really a party for the absolute elite of Equestria.

The problem is that I have no reason to imagine that Celestia needs to give a damn what to they think, and I also don't have a reason to believe that she DOESN'T need to give a damn to what they think. I've come to terms that every discussion about Celestia with me is going to be anchored in the fact that her place in Equestria needs to be fleshed out. I guess I'll wait on your answer about the comics.

This year due to her student bringing her friends along, she hoped they would add a different flavor to the GGG this year but that turned out something else where it wrecked the night for everybody. After seeing her idea for a party go to ruin, at that point, she just could simply is laugh at it and try to salvage the night with her student and her friends. As you said, I don't think she had any malevolent intent at the party, just more that she's trying to take a positive look to her situation and trying to make the best of it is all. 

Yes. That made sense before I knew that Celestia plans the thing herself and wherever or not she needed to conform to whatever the nobility wants her to. So it's still dependent on understanding how she relates to the nobility. Also, the problem isn't if she had malevolent intent or not. The problem is that there was no intent because we can't see her motivation, again, dependent on that.

Now we may have that episode at last if the leak was an indication.

Leak? Are you talking about the

episode name in the DVD that was announced?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

First, I'm sorry for taking this long to reply. Turns out Horizon Zero Dawn is a bigger time sink than I thought. This interaction between Celestia and the nobility interests me, but since I've left the comics behind some time ago, I may have missed this. Which issue are you talking about?

The problem is that I have no reason to imagine that Celestia needs to give a damn what to they think, and I also don't have a reason to believe that she DOESN'T need to give a damn to what they think. I've come to terms that every discussion about Celestia with me is going to be anchored in the fact that her place in Equestria needs to be fleshed out. I guess I'll wait on your answer about the comics.

Yes. That made sense before I knew that Celestia plans the thing herself and wherever or not she needed to conform to whatever the nobility wants her to. So it's still dependent on understanding how she relates to the nobility. Also, the problem isn't if she had malevolent intent or not. The problem is that there was no intent because we can't see her motivation, again, dependent on that.

Leak? Are you talking about the

Hide contents

episode name in the DVD that was announced?

Heard Zero Down was fun. Glad you're enjoying it. What I'm talking about is mainly in the Celestia Micro where she had to defend her friend from angry parents from pulling support from Celestia's school, and of how Luna's micro describes how stressful it is to manage Canterlot in just one day that Celestia has done for 1000 years. 

Her place at least in the comics is a bit better where they show her to be an overworked monarch who has to tend to the needs of the nobility and please them as she has to manage tons of other crap in ensuring Equestria is running smoothly. 

I hear ya what you mean that we could've had a bit more in development on what Celestia intended for the girls to do, but overall I didn't thought it was bad or anything and provided enough to at least have me convinced that it was malicious there. 

Yes I'm talking about that leak.

1 hour ago, Nuke87654 said:

Heard Zero Down was fun. Glad you're enjoying it. What I'm talking about is mainly in the Celestia Micro where she had to defend her friend from angry parents from pulling support from Celestia's school, and of how Luna's micro describes how stressful it is to manage Canterlot in just one day that Celestia has done for 1000 years. 

Hunting robot predators that shoot lasers isn't fun. It's awesome. :awesomecheer:

Back to the subject... That issue disappointed me. I remember that I felt frustrated that the Celestia's issue is more about a new character than about her and in the end I got the feeling that Celestia hadn't really done anything other than protect a friend and didn't give the other side enough consideration and I hadn't learned anything about Celestia. That teacher looked to me as though she really was causing more chaos than needed and Celestia was more worried with the past. The other I assume you mean is Luna's micro. With that one I just got pissed it was Luna pretty much doing what I wanted to see Celestia doing. I know that I'm very pedantic about seeing characters do things, but it's because I can't understand why it's so hard for both IDW and DHX to simply show Celestia DOING things when at the same time it's not a problem with Luna. It makes me think that everything they do with Celestia isn't intentional. It becomes headcanon, instead of character development because it's in our heads and not on the damn screen. It's like I said: we have no idea why Celestia is doing what she does with the Gala, because I don't know if she must obey the nobility or if she could just give then the metaphorical finger and do whatever she wants. The whole thing about the Gala isn't character development for Celestia, it's Celestia being a plot device. Which is all they do with her.

Her place at least in the comics is a bit better where they show her to be an overworked monarch who has to tend to the needs of the nobility and please them as she has to manage tons of other crap in ensuring Equestria is running smoothly. 

And that is the problem. This is an excuse why she's never relevant to the story: she's "ruling the country". But Luna isn't bogged down with this crap, or if she is, she still manages to make appearances worthy of whole episodes while she's as much a ruler of the land as Celestia is. For Celestia, ruling the country is an excuse to keep her out of whatever is happening and for Luna, the exact same situation is the subject of an entire issue. The result is that I got Luna acting like an idiot (and still succeeding in solving the problem) while Celestia was, AGAIN, doing nothing.

And, by the way, Equestria is never running smoothly. You can't say that Celestia is a good ruler based on what the cartoon shows us because Equestria is never under control, again because of the nature of the cartoon.

Aren't we derailing your own topic?:ajlol:

EDIT: I forgot to comment on the leak.

Fingers crossed this episode is going to make things better, but considering it was just an episode name in a DVD about Starlight Glimmer, I'm keeping my expectations very much under control.

Edited by Metemponychosis
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

Hunting robot predators that shoot lasers isn't fun. It's awesome. :awesomecheer:

Back to the subject... That issue disappointed me. I remember that I felt frustrated that the Celestia's issue is more about a new character than about her and in the end I got the feeling that Celestia hadn't really done anything other than protect a friend and didn't give the other side enough consideration and I hadn't learned anything about Celestia. That teacher looked to me as though she really was causing more chaos than needed and Celestia was more worried with the past. The other I assume you mean is Luna's micro. With that one I just got pissed it was Luna pretty much doing what I wanted to see Celestia doing. I know that I'm very pedantic about seeing characters do things, but it's because I can't understand why it's so hard for both IDW and DHX to simply show Celestia DOING things when at the same time it's not a problem with Luna. It makes me think that everything they do with Celestia isn't intentional. It becomes headcanon, instead of character development because it's in our heads and not on the damn screen. It's like I said: we have no idea why Celestia is doing what she does with the Gala, because I don't know if she must obey the nobility or if she could just give then the metaphorical finger and do whatever she wants. The whole thing about the Gala isn't character development for Celestia, it's Celestia being a plot device. Which is all they do with her.

And that is the problem. This is an excuse why she's never relevant to the story: she's "ruling the country". But Luna isn't bogged down with this crap, or if she is, she still manages to make appearances worthy of whole episodes while she's as much a ruler of the land as Celestia is. For Celestia, ruling the country is an excuse to keep her out of whatever is happening and for Luna, the exact same situation is the subject of an entire issue. The result is that I got Luna acting like an idiot (and still succeeding in solving the problem) while Celestia was, AGAIN, doing nothing.

And, by the way, Equestria is never running smoothly. You can't say that Celestia is a good ruler based on what the cartoon shows us because Equestria is never under control, again because of the nature of the cartoon.

Aren't we derailing your own topic?:ajlol:

EDIT: I forgot to comment on the leak.

Reveal hidden contents

Fingers crossed this episode is going to make things better, but considering it was just an episode name in a DVD about Starlight Glimmer, I'm keeping my expectations very much under control.

It was mainly of how willing Celestia was to protect her old friend that she values all these years from the wrath of those folks as she didn't wanted to see her friend get booted out by them. Considering how I don't recall her being a bad teacher despite the chaos she causes, I  would assume she's effective despite her manic mannerisms. I felt it was a good does of humanity from Celestia where she shows her value for friendship where she goes to good lengths to ensure her friend's livelihood is safe and sound. It was to me perhaps Celestia's most human portrayal I've seen in the series in general and I remembered liking it well.

I never said the gala was character development for Celestia, just pointing out what I assume was her intent and how she responded to it was all. I wouldn't even call her a plot device as such a term means she was relevant to the plot which she wasn't.

I actually am not a fan of Luna's portrayal in the comics and even her micro where I felt Luna was too bubbly and frantic for someone who is normally somber in her demeanor. I mean, she had to be taught how to have fun when she got back. It's one reason why I don't like how Luna normally is characterized in the comics as I view it as the comic writers looking at what the fandom imagines Luna is and we end up with essentially 'Pinkie Pie if she were an alicorn'.

The fact she isn't bogged down with that crap while Celestia has done it for 1000 years shows that she's by far the harder working and more important ruler than Luna as Celestia is the one running the country 24/7 practically while Luna mostly does night watch duties with the guards. To me that micro shows of just how much more effective of a ruler to Equestria Celestia is over Luna as she didn't wanted to handle Celestia's job just after one day's work. She's not exactly well portrayed in that regard either  as I like to see her actually be a competent ruler instead of implying to be one at best as you're right on that regard.

Nope, in fact this is fulfilling a purpose of my review topics where these discussions happen here. Feel free to continue to argue at your leisure man. 

I hope so too, even if it was under a Glimmer episode, we can still see Celestia impart a good story for them to learn about similar to them doing a pony version of A Christmas Carol in S6. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

I actually am not a fan of Luna's portrayal in the comics and even her micro where I felt Luna was too bubbly and frantic for someone who is normally somber in her demeanor. I mean, she had to be taught how to have fun when she got back. It's one reason why I don't like how Luna normally is characterized in the comics as I view it as the comic writers looking at what the fandom imagines Luna is and we end up with essentially 'Pinkie Pie if she were an alicorn'.

Lol, I never thought of comic Luna like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WaterPulse said:

Lol, I never thought of comic Luna like that.

To be fair I hadn't read it in a while so that can change easily. Which I need to one of these days.

Today, I'm going to review the fifty sixth episode in the Friendship is Magic series and it's 4th episode in it's third season, One Bad Apple. It is written by Cindy Morrow and is story-boarded by Sherann Johnson and Emmett Hall. 

On July 19th, 2012, show composer William Anderson released a photo of himself with a screen of the cmc's playing with the time code '01:03:22:21', and the production code 'mlp_304_032b_000'. According to EW.com on October 18th 2012, they released a hint of an episode that would be dealing the issues of bullying and quoting from the show's head writer Meghan McCarthy at the time, "[It] explores how you should handle a bully, and sometimes what the source of bullying is," and that "It's wrapped in a story that's really fun and funny, and has music, and doesn't feel heavy-handed."

The CMC's suffer with a belligerent cousin of Applebloom's from Manehattan in Babs Seed who turns on them to bully them in turn. 

Positives:

1. The song Bad Seed is one of the show's catchiest songs made in the series. The song 'Bad Seed', a verse made to describe the terrible situations that the CMCs are in due to how much of a bully Babs Seed is being, is for me and many others one of the catchiest songs in the series and easily the most positive thing in this episode. With how the va's sing the song, the good lyrics, the instruments, and showing off scenes of the CMCs getting harassed and bullied by Babs Seed, this proves to be a winning combo that easily makes Bad Seed a popular song in the show.

2. We have a call back to S2's Ponyville Confidential with the photographer colt appearing here.

latest?cb=20121125180743

A nice little callback in this minor cameo. 

3. We see where Sweetie Belle lives at.

latest?cb=20121126075254

House in the middle there. Gives a nice impression of how their upbringing is too. 

Negatives:

1. Babs Seed had one of the worst character introductions in the series to where she becomes one of the most unlikable characters I've seen in the series. I utterly loathed Babs Seed in this episode. She was straight up an unlikable character throughout this episode for her turn to being a bully towards the CMCs but especially how this episode tried to excuse it by saying how because she was bullied from her home that her actions are forgiven. No, it is not and here is why I do not forgive what this filly had done in the episode.

A. She chose to bully her own cousin and her friends to save her own skin from Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. The fact she would flip and turn on her own family and her friends like that speaks very ill of her.

B. She was an even worse bully to the CMCs than Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were. While Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon would mentally abuse them, Babs Seed would do that, but she takes it a step further by intimidating them to submission from telling adults of what she is doing, and proceed to commit violent actions against them where she would wreck crap such as their own original float they worked hard to make

latest?cb=20121124125315

That no adult realized was happening apparently despite it's size.

Or even forcing Applebloom to sleep on the floor with newspapers as blankets, seriously how the hell did none of the adults noticed that? That level of bullying committed by Babs Seed is inexcusable as this was her trying to bully them to submission as she pleases and not out of fear of those two posh bullies as I mentioned before.

C. She showed no remorse or regret to her actions until she realized at how she was about to get maimed and humiliated seriously for it. Any hesitation she has shown was from Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon looking onto her. All this does is shows that she is at best a coward and at worse a remorseless monster who doesn't give a shit of her targets and is becoming an even bigger bully than any of them are.

And they expect me to feel sorry for her and excuse her abhorrent actions she was doing against the CMCs. Hell no and I'm pissed that not only did Babs Seed went as far as she did with her bullying but especially how I felt she got away from it despite how her actions demand she be punished for it. Next to Zeyphr Breeze, in my opinion, Babs Seed had the worst character introductions in the series.

latest?cb=20121124161015

Yea, real sympathetic here.

2. The CMC's retaliation against Babs Seed was about as bad as her bullying towards them. Now to make this matter worse, the CMCs decide to respond to Babs Seed's bullying by designing a float where it would booby trap and set off to where she would not only lose control of the thing and have it go off a cliff, but to humiliate and even maim her too. This does nothing but make the cutie mark crusaders look as bad as Babs Seed is. Sure they may have came and saved her for it and took the device's fall for it, but the fact they went this far and only pulled off from it from hearing AJ tell how abused Babs seed was from bullies from manehattan. Other than that, they were going to let Babs Seed take the fall off the cliff without any sort of remorse for it. 

latest?cb=20121130020022

They lost whatever sympathy I had for them here. 

3. Pinkie Pie had her worst secondary role in the series in my opinion. Pinkie Pie was utterly dreadful in this episode. Not only did she came off as an asshat towards Spike when she denied him the chance for food and took it instead, being an idiot and not drive the float just to let the girls to drive, but she was incredibly unfunny too with lame jokes like Veggie Salad and leaf me.

latest?cb=20121203162816

Lame jokes, pinkie.

4. Applejack was also very bad and anemic in her role as the adult to help the fillies out. As mentioned above, not only did she got struck by the oblivious ball in failing to see a rolling float missing and Applebloom sleeping on the floor, but considering how AJ didn't administer proper discipline and punishment on Babs Seed for her actions and she allowed Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon to bully her sister, cousin, and friends right in front of her, the only thing it shows me is that AJ is not the adult to look for when someone is bullied as she was too passive for it in this episode.

latest?cb=20121129030446

Could you do a little more than stare angrily at them AJ? When even the normally reliable AJ is looking bad, things aren't going well.

5. The moral of the episode being 'if you have a bully problem, tell an adult', is too insufficient and simple for a problem as complex as bullying. This was one of the episode's biggest problems was how this episode was dedicated to be the series's PSA episode on bullying. On such a complex issue as bullying due to how typically you're dealing with children who have different parents and issues that can cause alot of problems, including how bullying can get worse if someone does snitches on them, it's a minefield for any adult to step on and simply telling an adult that a bully problem can be resolved is at best a very naive solution as there alot of environmental and mental factors to consider with each individual involved in order to find a way to resolve it, let alone how the bully should be treated himself as they can be victims themselves or just straight up assholes. Trying to say that telling an adult will solve everything is too simple of a solution that doesn't stop there, hell it can create more problems for the child if the bully really doesn't like snitches. This is part of the reason why I do not like this show tackling real life issues as for the most part, I feel they resolve it too simply and inadequately for issues that really show not be discussed in a series meant to be sincere and lighthearted. 

6. The aesop of 'He who fights monsters, must not become one', is a broken one.  As @Anti-Villain pointed out in the comments below, the episode's aesop of the CMC's actions towards Babs Seed can be considered a broken aesop. They were admonished for not telling an adult, butt their reasoning for doing that is due to how Babs Seed was terrorizing them 24/7 and were afraid to tell an adult about it so as she threatened them. If Babs Seed wasn't so horrid, they would have no reason to respond as they did to Babs Seed's abhorrent behavior. Also, while I may not be a fan of the CMC's actions still against Babs Seed, I will say that considering how light hearted their fall was and such, it does mitigate the seriousness of their trap too.

Conclusion: One Bad Apple is not only the season's worst episode I've seen, but it may also be the worst episode in the series too. With how terrible Babs Seed's first appearance in the series is, how poorly behaved the CMC's are, and Pinkie Pie and Applejack had one of their weakest roles in an insufficiently simple lesson on fighting bullies, this one deserves to be given the atrocity grade from me.

Score: 2.0/10

Grade: F-

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

This is part of the reason why I do not like this show tackling real life issues as for the most part, I feel they resolve it too simply and inadequately for issues that really show not be discussed in a series meant to be sincere and such. 

Well, that explains why Starlight Glimmer's arc in Season 6 was a train wreck. Well, to paraphrase a quote from Little Nicky, "Well, maybe not as horrible as 'One Bad Apple' but still pretty bad." 

As for Zephyr Breeze being worse than Babs? Nah. Sure, he's just as deserving for a smack upside the head as Babs, but at least he was confronted with a realization by being a mooching prick won't get him anywhere in life, even if was just as rushed. Babs only stopped when the CMC were willing to go all Alejandro Sosa* on her.

*A character from Scarface, starring Al Pacino, in case you're curious.

• Like 3

IMO, the He Who Fights Monsters lesson was just a Broken Aesop for the CMC:

1. Babs was the one willing to take her own bullying out on others; the CMC only targeted their bully herself -- and even then, only out of desperation to finally stop her 24/7 borderline terrorism.

2. Since the CMC only suffered comedic "boo-boos" at worst from their own trap, it just undercut whatever danger Babs had been in; therefore, I can't help but wish they had just let her take it, learn the hard way, and then reform.

Thankfully, both Apple Family Reunion and the comics eventually rectified her, IMO.

• Like 5

I don't know whether to be surprised or amused at the brouhaha over Princess Celestia. Then again, I have plenty of problems with how she has been used in the show.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WaterPulse said:

Well, that explains why Starlight Glimmer's arc in Season 6 was a train wreck. Well, to paraphrase a quote from Little Nicky, "Well, maybe not as horrible as 'One Bad Apple' but still pretty bad." 

As for Zephyr Breeze being worse than Babs? Nah. Sure, he's just as deserving for a smack upside the head as Babs, but at least he was confronted with a realization by being a mooching prick won't get him anywhere in life, even if was just as rushed. Babs only stopped when the CMC were willing to go all Alejandro Sosa* on her.

*A character from Scarface, starring Al Pacino, in case you're curious.

I would say the reason why Starlight Glimmer's season went badly was mostly cause they actually didn't do enough to develop her. They were doing fine in the first half where I felt the season was going fine, but then once the 2nd half the season hit, it was like they forgot about her and used her as cameos at best until Every little thing she does was essentially them rushing her bond with the remane five they should've spent the season trying to build up instead of throwing a lazily made Lesson Zero type episode at her. Due to the insufficient development and how poor the finale was made, she came off as undeserving the attention and praise the show is trying to say she does deserve to get.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anti-Villain said:

IMO, the He Who Fights Monsters lesson was just a Broken Aesop for the CMC:

1. Babs was the one willing to take her own bullying out on others; the CMC only targeted their bully herself -- and even then, only out of desperation to finally stop her 24/7 borderline terrorism.

2. Since the CMC only suffered comedic "boo-boos" at worst from their own trap, it just undercut whatever danger Babs had been in; therefore, I can't help but wish they had just let her take it, learn the hard way, and then reform.

Thankfully, both Apple Family Reunion and the comics eventually rectified her, IMO.

Hmm, mind if I add that in this review please. That's a good point on the he who fights monsters being a broken aesop. Though I'm not a fan still on what the CMCs did mainly for how they stooped to her level granted at least it was more justifiable as you said. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Number539 said:

I don't know whether to be surprised or amused at the brouhaha over Princess Celestia. Then again, I have plenty of problems with how she has been used in the show.

It just shows of how much we really want Celestia to finally look good in the series again is all.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

Hmm, mind if I add that in this review please. That's a good point on the he who fights monsters being a broken aesop. Though I'm not a fan still on what the CMCs did mainly for how they stooped to her level granted at least it was more justifiable as you said. 

Go ahead -- add away.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

It just shows of how much we really want Celestia to finally look good in the series again is all.

Personally, I don't see myself being satisfied even if Celestia gets a good episode in season 7. 6 season of doing nothing or looking dumb is nothing to sneeze at, and I doubt 1 episode will be able to solve this.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Number539 said:

Personally, I don't see myself being satisfied even if Celestia gets a good episode in season 7. 6 season of doing nothing or looking dumb is nothing to sneeze at, and I doubt 1 episode will be able to solve this.

I'm not saying it will cure all the problems, but it would be a step in the right direction to fix her and hopefully they can go from there to portray her better. We're just asking an episode to help flesh her character out so she'll be more likeable while going back to what she was in S1 and S2 to where she came off as a caring benevolent ruler.

On 05/03/2017 at 2:18 AM, Nuke87654 said:

It was mainly of how willing Celestia was to protect her old friend that she values all these years from the wrath of those folks as she didn't wanted to see her friend get booted out by them. Considering how I don't recall her being a bad teacher despite the chaos she causes, I  would assume she's effective despite her manic mannerisms. I felt it was a good does of humanity from Celestia where she shows her value for friendship where she goes to good lengths to ensure her friend's livelihood is safe and sound. It was to me perhaps Celestia's most human portrayal I've seen in the series in general and I remembered liking it well.

We're seeing different things. Don't you see a conflict of interest here? I guess it comes down to personal views. But the problem is this magical word "assume". You have a much nicer view on the effectiveness of the storytelling in everything involving MLP than I do. But it's assumed. If you're telling a story, unless you want, the audience shouldn't have two opposite interpretations of events. Most human portrayal of Celestia, yes, but that is not necessarily a good thing and at the same time, that also means several things. Everything about Celestia, including how good, morally and as an effective leader, is assumed, and things like that in the comic don't help.

The parents in the comic clearly think that the teacher is a problem. Celestia thinks otherwise because she has had personal experiences with that teacher. She also has a heart. That is fine if she doesn't need to give a damn that there is a conflict of interest (her personal feelings influencing her decision about the teacher) and the other can whine about it all they want. She's the badass princess of Equestria and they can suck it. But then there is the Gala. And Celestia needs to cater for the desires of the nobles, since she's forced to make the party the way they like it to the point of being forced to "liven things up". There is no concerted effort to solidify her into a character. Its not about how I want Celestia to be. Of course I have an ideal image in my head, but that is not the problem. I want her to be something, palpable, in canon, not just in the headcanon, that is the word for "assumed". And the problem isn't you or your opinion: it's DHX and IDW incapacity or unwillingness to do something with her. Because they don't care about this sort of inconsistency, everything seems inconsequential and unintentional.

I never said the gala was character development for Celestia, just pointing out what I assume was her intent and how she responded to it was all. I wouldn't even call her a plot device as such a term means she was relevant to the plot which she wasn't.

You didn't, but I bet you see all the time that it's used as example about how Celestia isn't an uptight prick and just wants to have fun with the "common folk". Not even that is 100% correct. She is a plot device because you can't see her motivations. All you see is what the writer wants her to do to get the plot moving.

I actually am not a fan of Luna's portrayal in the comics and even her micro where I felt Luna was too bubbly and frantic for someone who is normally somber in her demeanor. I mean, she had to be taught how to have fun when she got back. It's one reason why I don't like how Luna normally is characterized in the comics as I view it as the comic writers looking at what the fandom imagines Luna is and we end up with essentially 'Pinkie Pie if she were an alicorn'

That never bothered me, but it's because I always saw Luna as a big child with mood swings anyway. In her FF issue with Pinkie Luna is the opposite of that. I talk about Celestia all the time, but she's not the only one with this sort of problems between comics and cartoons. These inconsistencies are part of the reason I stopped caring about the comics. I forgive this from the fandom, because I like to think that Luna has learned a bit how to open up.

The fact she isn't bogged down with that crap while Celestia has done it for 1000 years shows that she's by far the harder working and more important ruler than Luna as Celestia is the one running the country 24/7 practically while Luna mostly does night watch duties with the guards. To me that micro shows of just how much more effective of a ruler to Equestria Celestia is over Luna as she didn't wanted to handle Celestia's job just after one day's work. She's not exactly well portrayed in that regard either  as I like to see her actually be a competent ruler instead of implying to be one at best as you're right on that regard.

But you never saw Celestia doing that. You saw Luna. You never saw Celestia doing her job as ruler so you can't know if that is a typical day or how well she deals with those situations, even if it was a typical day. You're making a comparison between an apple and another fruit hidden inside a box and you can't even weight it to know if they feel similar. Not to mention that I'd prefer to see the rulers doing something actually useful. The problem, I suppose, is that it would be too "political".

About the new review, again, I have nothing to add that @Anti-Villain hasn't said already.

• Like 2

Wow, I've had a massively busy weekend. No, no Nintendo Switch or anything like that. I don't really play video games. Instead, work and a semi-big clog in out house's bathroom. Oh, flippin' joy! Anyway...

On 3/2/2017 at 11:20 AM, Nuke87654 said:

Dang, for the most part this is pretty much a good and thorough beat-down on Celestia and how poor her characterization has been this series. I agree with alot of it with only the point of the Grand Galloping Gala and Sunset Shimmer that I would argue against. The GGG being that she had her plans for the party wrecked herself just it was more of her just taking the positives in stride cause well the episode's lesson gave a point to that that even if your plans are wrecked, so long as you're in the company of friends you're fine. I feel she didn't intended for the party to end like that just more she thought it was a fun experience for how it got wrecked, black comedy per say. Sure she may have considered the party boring and had hoped the mane 6 would liven it up, but I don't think she intended it to go that way.

I think we'll have to declare to agree to disagree on the Gala, Nuke. I don't think I'm ever gonna see Celestia's side to it. I'm not her. I'm not one of the Mane Six. I'm one of the ones who got screwed over unfairly over it.

As for Sunset Shimmer, it's not a bad thing on her as I'd imagine Twilight wasn't the first and especially that the failure was more on Sunset Shimmer if the comics are considered canon which even in the movie it supports that Sunset Shimmer abused her position as Celestia's student to her advantage. For the rest, I agree whole heartily and if given the chance, I'd post it for DHX to read and understand how badly screwed Celestia has been under their hands.

I don't read the comics, though. ;) Or in all seriousness, consider them canon to the show. Hell, the show's already contradicted the comics with no Umbra showing up or other stuff. But you're right that it was mostly on Sunset.

Finally, got anymore critiques on Princess Luna, that was a good beatdown on Celestia and how she's been characterized in the series?

Maybe later... but overall, onscreen at least she's had more positive impact than Celestia. Although I don't really feel any sympathy for her concerning Nightmare Moon. Maybe more on that later. A different post, at least.

On 3/2/2017 at 4:46 PM, Nuke87654 said:

If I were to bring the comics involved, it would be such a case as the upper class ponies aren't exactly on friendly terms with her.

If being the operative word, there. I don't, for one.

On 3/2/2017 at 8:23 PM, Anti-Villain said:

To be fair, Chrysalis technically cheated -- and thank God for that Author's Saving Throw in FIENDship #5 (which revealed that Celestia would stomp her if fought fairly).

Yes, she cheated... although in a fight, to quote Batman, it's, "Winning." ;) I don't read the comics nor consider them to be canon, anyway.

Although, given her successful Discord-proofing spell on the Elements this time around:

1. She managed to retain some IQ points, IMO.

2. Perhaps he's not quite as "beyond her powers" as we initially thought; either that, or she just figured out how to "level up" a bit here.

Yeah, true. She did do some prep there... for an action she shouldn't have done in the first place.

You forgot about her and Luna defeating Sombra (albeit via flashback again, but still...); of course, since (A) it was 2 on 1 and (B) Sombra's backup curse technically made it a tie anyway, YMMV.

You're right. I forgot that. Bad me. But like you said, she had help and it was a tie at best anyway. ;)

On 3/3/2017 at 10:11 AM, Nuke87654 said:

You know that part of that discord proof shield spell working does actually give evidence that perhaps he's not as far beyond the ponies in power as I thought. Definitely something I missed. Good point there, Anti-Villain.

He did get physically ill in 'Three's a Crowd' from that worm's sneeze. So he definitely has some limitations.

On 3/3/2017 at 0:00 PM, Nuke87654 said:

2. Pinkie Pie had perhaps her most underrated moment in the whole series with her breaking down upon seeing what she had caused. This was perhaps one of the most surprising in this episode was how Pinkie Pie was characterized here when she broke down upset. Initially I had thought she was being silly for saying who the real Pinkie Pie is, but upon deeper inspection, there's actually a more meaningful point here for that and how she behaves in such a distraught state throughout.

I swear, there was a moment where Pinkie Pie had an existential realization. "Oh, god. Oh, god. This is... this is how everyone else sees me! This is me to the Ponyville population!" And it's probably one of my favorite moments for her.

My biggest thing for this episode is the fucking Saw-style trap at the end. Yeah, Twilight was an moron there. Spike had already picked out the real Pinkie Pie! There were SO MANY ways that could've gone wrong.

Also, I find the disposal of the clones to be... horrific. Not sure how much I should go into it considering the controversy, admittedly.

On 3/5/2017 at 0:26 PM, Nuke87654 said:

Conclusion: One Bad Apple is not only the season's worst episode I've seen, but it may also be the worst episode in the series too. With how terrible Babs Seed's first appearance in the series is, how poorly behaved the CMC's are, and Pinkie Pie and Applejack had one of their weakest roles in an insufficiently simple lesson on fighting bullies, this one deserves to be given the atrocity grade from me.

Not sure how much I can comment on this one. I went through some bad bullying back in high school... okay, most of school. And quite a bit at home, too. But yeah. The whole subject was not handled well at all.

19 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

I would say the reason why Starlight Glimmer's season went badly was mostly cause they actually didn't do enough to develop her. They were doing fine in the first half where I felt the season was going fine, but then once the 2nd half the season hit, it was like they forgot about her and used her as cameos at best until Every little thing she does was essentially them rushing her bond with the remane five they should've spent the season trying to build up instead of throwing a lazily made Lesson Zero type episode at her. Due to the insufficient development and how poor the finale was made, she came off as undeserving the attention and praise the show is trying to say she does deserve to get.

Quoted for fucking truth. I've got my own beef with that Karma Houdini.

• Like 2

I've only skimmed through the recent comments about the alicorn of the sun, but I doubt there's much I'd disagree with anyways. One problem is that we never see anything from her POV, which only makes her questionable choices look even more questionable.

Honestly, I'd consider Celestia to be the WORST written character I've seen in any work of fiction. It's worth noting that this is a tv show, so there's actually a lot more time to develop a character unlike a movie which only gets one shot to do its thing. We'll see if season 7 can/will do anything, but it's a serious uphill battle for the writers.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

We're seeing different things. Don't you see a conflict of interest here? I guess it comes down to personal views. But the problem is this magical word "assume". You have a much nicer view on the effectiveness of the storytelling in everything involving MLP than I do. But it's assumed. If you're telling a story, unless you want, the audience shouldn't have two opposite interpretations of events. Most human portrayal of Celestia, yes, but that is not necessarily a good thing and at the same time, that also means several things. Everything about Celestia, including how good, morally and as an effective leader, is assumed, and things like that in the comic don't help.

The parents in the comic clearly think that the teacher is a problem. Celestia thinks otherwise because she has had personal experiences with that teacher. She also has a heart. That is fine if she doesn't need to give a damn that there is a conflict of interest (her personal feelings influencing her decision about the teacher) and the other can whine about it all they want. She's the badass princess of Equestria and they can suck it. But then there is the Gala. And Celestia needs to cater for the desires of the nobles, since she's forced to make the party the way they like it to the point of being forced to "liven things up". There is no concerted effort to solidify her into a character. Its not about how I want Celestia to be. Of course I have an ideal image in my head, but that is not the problem. I want her to be something, palpable, in canon, not just in the headcanon, that is the word for "assumed". And the problem isn't you or your opinion: it's DHX and IDW incapacity or unwillingness to do something with her. Because they don't care about this sort of inconsistency, everything seems inconsequential and unintentional.

You didn't, but I bet you see all the time that it's used as example about how Celestia isn't an uptight prick and just wants to have fun with the "common folk". Not even that is 100% correct. She is a plot device because you can't see her motivations. All you see is what the writer wants her to do to get the plot moving.

That never bothered me, but it's because I always saw Luna as a big child with mood swings anyway. In her FF issue with Pinkie Luna is the opposite of that. I talk about Celestia all the time, but she's not the only one with this sort of problems between comics and cartoons. These inconsistencies are part of the reason I stopped caring about the comics. I forgive this from the fandom, because I like to think that Luna has learned a bit how to open up.

But you never saw Celestia doing that. You saw Luna. You never saw Celestia doing her job as ruler so you can't know if that is a typical day or how well she deals with those situations, even if it was a typical day. You're making a comparison between an apple and another fruit hidden inside a box and you can't even weight it to know if they feel similar. Not to mention that I'd prefer to see the rulers doing something actually useful. The problem, I suppose, is that it would be too "political".

About the new review, again, I have nothing to add that @Anti-Villain hasn't said already.

Aye, I view her actions in that comic to be fine from what I remember. Still I'll need to one day go back to reading them as it's been too long and I can feel a weakness with how rusty my knowledge with the comics are. Who knows maybe I'll view her more negatively after I read it again with a more informed mind on it. What you shown me is I need to read the comics again, ty.

I agree she's not given the character she needs as she's either used as a plot device as you said, or is usually done as crap like the Reflections arc. 

I'll agree there with Luna, she at least learned not to bottle things up as she should've from the episodes she had going. Perhaps I'll view her better if I read that Luna Micro again.

As for the Luna micro, remember, whatever Luna is doing is the kind of job Celestia has to handle each and everyday. Luna was essentially given Celestia's day to day job for one day. We're even shown that Luna thinks her sister's job sucks with how quickly she gave it up. There at I can remember that detail well enough. 

Well ty for pointing out that broken aesop as well, @Metemponychosis.

16 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Wow, I've had a massively busy weekend. No, no Nintendo Switch or anything like that. I don't really play video games. Instead, work and a semi-big clog in out house's bathroom. Oh, flippin' joy! Anyway...

I think we'll have to declare to agree to disagree on the Gala, Nuke. I don't think I'm ever gonna see Celestia's side to it. I'm not her. I'm not one of the Mane Six. I'm one of the ones who got screwed over unfairly over it.

I don't read the comics, though. ;) Or in all seriousness, consider them canon to the show. Hell, the show's already contradicted the comics with no Umbra showing up or other stuff. But you're right that it was mostly on Sunset.

Maybe later... but overall, onscreen at least she's had more positive impact than Celestia. Although I don't really feel any sympathy for her concerning Nightmare Moon. Maybe more on that later. A different post, at least.

If being the operative word, there. I don't, for one.

Yes, she cheated... although in a fight, to quote Batman, it's, "Winning." ;) I don't read the comics nor consider them to be canon, anyway.

Yeah, true. She did do some prep there... for an action she shouldn't have done in the first place.

You're right. I forgot that. Bad me. But like you said, she had help and it was a tie at best anyway. ;)

He did get physically ill in 'Three's a Crowd' from that worm's sneeze. So he definitely has some limitations.

I swear, there was a moment where Pinkie Pie had an existential realization. "Oh, god. Oh, god. This is... this is how everyone else sees me! This is me to the Ponyville population!" And it's probably one of my favorite moments for her.

My biggest thing for this episode is the fucking Saw-style trap at the end. Yeah, Twilight was an moron there. Spike had already picked out the real Pinkie Pie! There were SO MANY ways that could've gone wrong.

Also, I find the disposal of the clones to be... horrific. Not sure how much I should go into it considering the controversy, admittedly.

Not sure how much I can comment on this one. I went through some bad bullying back in high school... okay, most of school. And quite a bit at home, too. But yeah. The whole subject was not handled well at all.

Quoted for fucking truth. I've got my own beef with that Karma Houdini.

Ouch on that one.

Alright, I'm sorry for my own stubborn views on the matter for Celestia at the gala. I just believe I don't see any issues there as I don't view her actions as malicious since I view her plans for the gala were wrecked too.

I eagerly await that post as I'd be excited to hear what you have for Princess Luna or so.

True on that, I'll agree to not bringing the comics and the fact that a fight is about winning. Yea he does have more limitations than I like to imagine. I should remember that despite his actor being used, Discord is not on Q's level of power in any shape or form.

True on the Pinkie Pie realization. I wouldn't call just Twilight a moron and even Spike went along with the plan considering that yea so many things could go wrong there. Only reason it gets mitigated has to do with that the original pinkie pie suggested it herself and wanted to use it as proof she's worth for the 'Pinkie Pie' title and that it's one way it can work, just one that's extremely risky. I may need to add that part to the review or so.

Likewise, I've had my own bullying issues too from school so this one hit a bit at home for me in a not so good way.

True, honestly they really really need to stop believing that she's worthy to be part of the group by saving them or so when no, she still hasn't earned it as she hasn't convinced me she can be an actual friend or that she really has changed for the better. Letting her save them is only going to infuriate me about her.

14 hours ago, Number539 said:

I've only skimmed through the recent comments about the alicorn of the sun, but I doubt there's much I'd disagree with anyways. One problem is that we never see anything from her POV, which only makes her questionable choices look even more questionable.

Honestly, I'd consider Celestia to be the WORST written character I've seen in any work of fiction. It's worth noting that this is a tv show, so there's actually a lot more time to develop a character unlike a movie which only gets one shot to do its thing. We'll see if season 7 can/will do anything, but it's a serious uphill battle for the writers.

True, that's her biggest issue. She really needs to get some development fast. Season 7 cannot come fast enough. Rather unfortunate that I would agree with you that she's one of the poorest characters I've seen in recent memory due to how shoddy she's been handled.

Today, I'm going to review the fifty seventh episode in the Friendship is Magic series and the 3rd season's fifth episode, Magic Duel. It is written by M.A. Larson and it's storyboard artists are Lih Liau and Marshall Fels Elliot. 

According to Meghan McCarthy on December 5th, 2012 on her twitter feed, the episode was submitted on January 27, 2011 and was originally slated to be a Season 2 episode for which Storyboard artist Holly Giesbrecht would clarify that it wasn't due to how long an episode takes to be made but rather it got ultimately shuffled to be a season 3 episode. Lauren Faust, the show's creator on September 18, 2013 would also add that  it was an early concept for a Season 3 episode but which she pulled the episode out as she had another plan in mind for Trixie. One of the storyboard artists would recall that the curiosity shop's location was stated to be in Canterlot. A blog named 'phils portfolio' would further add validation to this when it showed production art of the alleyway and the curiosity shop with the sketches naming Canterlot as it's location. Hasbro Studios's vice president, Mike Vogel would give a hint on the episode's apperance in the 2012 San Diego Comic Con, stating ,'I think we're not allowed to say, but I can tell you that I would expect, uh, come season three, we'll maybe see some great and powerful stuff" in answer to a question about Trixie and Gilda.' When asked why the Alicorn amulet was named as such, he would state that originally it was called 'Unicharm' in all of the episode's scripts but was changed to Alicorn Amulet along the way. There were many scenes and jokes cut from the episode according to Holly Giesbrecht, the notables are that Rarity was to utter 'Madness' line when Trixie turned her dress into an ugly pattern of clothing before Pinkie Pie ushered away like James Brown, Mayor Mare's speaking line 'Stop that' was edited out for which she held no speaking role despite being listed under credits as such, and finally a section where Trixie would ask where the revenge section of the curiosity shop for which the shopkeeper would reply 'oh, right over there,' was cut too.

Trixie returns to Ponyville with revenge in mind as she successfully defeats Twilight in a duel and banishes her from the imprisoned Ponyville. Twilight seeks to find a way to beat the more powerful Trixie however she can while her friends are stuck in a dystopian Ponyville under Trixie's wrath.  

Positives:

1. Trixie returns in great style as a powerful and over the top proper villain in this episode. Trixie returns from her first appearance in Season 1 and she does it with great style as the episode's villain.

latest?cb=20130308040239

Do not trifle with the great and powerful trixie, worm.

I really enjoyed her turn as a villain as not only was she fun for how powerful and in overbearing demand she is for rule in vengeance over Ponyville, but the episode does a great job to show Trixie's side and give ample explanation for why she would turn bad. It is after her humiliation from Ponyville from Boast Busters where her career takes a turn for the worse where she became destitute to the point she had to work on a rock farm in order to make ends meet, which nice cameo for Pinkie Pie's home. Thus you actually feel a bit of understanding for her actions as considering how miserable she became after her unfair treatment from Boast Busters, this was justified revenge and she takes full advantage of her new found powers where she defeats Twilight in a magic duel and banishes her as punishment for humiliating her by showing her up in powers, but she then proceeds to punish the folks who had wronged her before.

latest?cb=20130303235927

Trixie does not trust wheels and she's applying punishment to the two colts that ruined her. 

Honestly, I'd actually think Trixie's turn as a villain is perhaps the show's most underrated villain appearance in the series as she really did a great job as an egotistical overbearing dictator that brutalized Ponyville under her iron grip and took a great concentrated effort from the mane 6, Spike, CMCs, Big Macintosh, and even Grannie Smith to be able to beat her single handily. Thus unlike S1's Boast Busters, S3's Magic Duel utilized Trixie as a proper villain to great effect here.

2. Comedy was pretty good here too. As mentioned above, we've had plenty of funny moments from the episode in the form of:

latest?cb=20121210211127

Dancing mouthless Pinkie Pie

latest?cb=20121208110632

Twilight can't stop thinking about Trixie. Good to tease those shippers.

latest?cb=20121202035843

Fluttershy tries to run away but the birds won't let her.

latest?cb=20151124222437

Twilight breaks the fourth wall to help give Pinkie Pie her mouth back.

This was another funny episode for me to enjoy. 

3. Zecora received her best role in the series so far. One thing to also especially appreciate this episode's writing is how Zecora was used. Here she came to Twilight's aid when she needed it most as without any of the princesses to help her out due to being in Saddle Arabia and Spike cannot send any messages out due to the bubble dome around Ponyville, Twilight was truly on her own. There Zecora would offer to teach her how to focus and hone her magic better for which it's done well enough that you can interpret it as an offscreen role that she and Zecora would do together after similar to a Luke and Yoda role respectively. Still, the time wasn't enough but Zecora showing off her intellect does impart an indirect advice for how to beat Trixie for which Twilight quickly realizes and enacts the plan as she wanted her to do. This to me was by far her best role I've seen as she became much more than a 'plot device deliverer', but a helpful secondary character to help the protagonist Twilight out and instead of outright delivering the way to beat Trixie, she gives instead a hint at how to do it for which Twilight figures it out which to me is much more preferable than Zecora delivering the key to victory. 

latest?cb=20130518064900

Bout time she gets a more meaningful role here.

4. Not only did I enjoyed how each of the mane 6 were characterized save for one exception but especially of how they beat Trixie. With the exception of Fluttershy for which I'll explain my reasoning why, I enjoyed each of the characters in the episode where they not only were characterized well enough to my liking, but of how they helped each other out and tried to find ways to beat Trixie. 

latest?cb=20121206180938

I thought this was pretty underrated of them coming to their friend's defense despite how Trixie defeated her.

But what I enjoyed the most was of how they defeated Trixie. In the episode, they used not only each other, but enlisted the aid of the CMCs, Big MacIntosh and Grannie Smith to aid them in donning disguises to try to fool Trixie into believing that the amulet that Twilight has is more powerful than hers so she can give that up and try to go for that one instead. This would involve stuff such as:

latest?cb=20121214025421

latest?cb=20130304012227

Age Spells

latest?cb=20130304011527

Having Pinkie Pie play her instruments as a magic spell

latest?cb=20121206055359

Rule 63 spell

All of this would work as Trixie was convinced that Twilight's amulet was more powerful and thus was duped by the theatrical performance of the mane 6 and gang. This stands in stark contrast and the reason why I enjoyed it to S1's Boast Busters where Twilight defeated Trixie by showing her who is actually a more powerful unicorn over Trixie's facade. Here they defeat the more powerful Alicorn amulet powered Trixie using their own facade to dupe her into giving up the alicorn amulet for a fake one. Delicious irony. 

5. I enjoyed some of the world and lore building here. These are of course the revelation of a middle eastern country expy in Saddle Arabia.

latest?cb=20130309070353

And their ambassadors presumably. They look more like horses than other characters in the series instead of ponies.

And the Alicorn Amulet itself, which holds some dark powers in it and it's lore of how it grants such powers to it's wielder at the cost of the person getting corrupted by it and it cannot be taken off unless the wielder willingly lets it go. 

latest?cb=20121207165335

And wondering how this item came to be is open for any fanfic writer to write about.

Both of those I mentioned showcase some more positive worldbuilding and lore build up for this series to have.

Negatives:

1. The episode had plenty of tone issues throughout the episode. Perhaps my biggest issue with the episode is the many issues I had with the tone of it. Despite the humor of it, we've had some pretty grim dark stuff such as: 

latest?cb=20130303233713

Slavery

latest?cb=20121209082305

Dystopian imagery with dark clouds, and gale force winds blowing.

And Trixie's line that she wanted to cause Rainbow Dash to 'writhe in agony' aka she wanted to inflict torturous pain on a character after her amulet got removed. 

This stands in stark contrast to the more light hearted comedic moments above compared to this. As a result, I wasn't sure whether to view Trixie's actions with a more somber tone for how brutal it seems she wanted to rule Ponyville and how powerful she was, or laugh at how silly she is being in some of her orders and of course the no wheels thing. It just for me just feels weird for me to figure out of the tone they try to strike here.

2. I didn't like how Fluttershy's cowardliness was played for laughs. While I'm not going to be especially harsh on this one, I will critique that I felt Fluttershy was a bit, too scared. While it was played for laughs, but I didn't like of how in the scene where she got out of the dome where she was expected to go and alert Twilight about the information they found on the Alicorn Amulet and how they can strategize to beat it, she tried to run away and head back home for which her animal friends had to come and bring her to Zecora's. This to me just felt like she was a bit ooc for the sake of laughs as while Fluttershy isn't exactly brave, she does stand firm against things that don't pertain to her social anxiety and here it just felt it was done for laughs.

latest?cb=20121210093314

Her outfit is at least cute.

3. I didn't like how Trixie was given a lazy reformation at the end. Now the problem wasn't on Twilight forgiving her as she did fine there but it is on Trixie. In the ending, she apologized to Twilight for the actions she's caused despite the fact she should also apologize to Ponyville even more as Twilight got off relatively easy compared to the others, but especially of how she had sought the Alicorn Amulet out which damns this reformation. Considering how she tried to attain that item specifically, we can presume she knew about it, including it's corrupting influence on her. This would mean she knew full well of what she was doing but she did it anyway. Thus when you see her trying to seek an apology, it felt she did it far too quickly considering she attacked Ponyville with the amulet not only with full intention of enslaving Ponyville, but also that even with the amulet off, she still wanted to inflict pain on Rainbow Dash for her transgression showing that yea she's not such an innocent victim of the Alicorn Amulet's powers.

latest?cb=20130117015421

See you pony trixie in three seasons.

Conclusion: Magic Duel is the season's best episode I've seen so far. Despite the tone issues and the quick reformation it gave to Trixie, this episode was sublime in how she was as a villain, how the mane 6 save a bit on Fluttershy were characterized and how they worked together to overcome Trixie with the help of other folks like Zecora to trick Trixie into defeat in a good twist of irony of Boast Buster's climax for Trixie's defeat. With some fun moments and good world building on Saddle Arabia and lore on the Alicorn Amulet, I consider Magic Duel the best episode of Season 3 I've seen yet.

Score: 9.0/10

Grade: B+

• Like 3

19 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Hell, the show's already contradicted the comics with no Umbra showing up or other stuff.

I'mma have to go with the logic of "Absence of evidence is not evidence."

Especially considering how Sombra's personal demons caused him to take his sweet-@$$ time in freeing them.

• Like 1

When asked why the Alicorn amulet was named as such, he would state that originally it was called 'Unicharm' in all of the episode's scripts but was changed to Alicorn Amulet along the way.

Shame. I think that Unicharm would've been much better, especially since alicorns lost the "divine rank". The less they're referenced in anything related to power the better. Not that it makes a big difference, but I'd prefer it.

There were many scenes and jokes cut from the episode according to Holly Giesbrecht, the notables are that Rarity was to utter 'Madness' line when Trixie turned her dress into an ugly pattern of clothing before Pinkie Pie ushered away like James Brown, Mayor Mare's speaking line 'Stop that' was edited out for which she held no speaking role despite being listed under credits as such, and finally a section where Trixie would ask where the revenge section of the curiosity shop for which the shopkeeper would reply 'oh, right over there,' was cut too.

I wish MLP had any way of showing the audience these deleted scenes. For amusement. Trixie asking for the revenge section would've been too perfect and Mayor Mare at least asking Trixie to stop would've given the cartoon the episode something extra I think these kind of episodes need. Equestria makes very little sense sometimes.

Thus unlike S1's Boast Busters, S3's Magic Duel utilized Trixie as a proper villain to great effect here.

Trixie's "job" was different in S1. She was good for what was needed and then even better for this episode. This is why I like Larson. He's not perfect, but he can keep the "stakes" under control and that is part of what makes this episode work. Not to mention that I think he has great attention to detail.

Spike cannot send any messages out due to the bubble dome around Ponyville,

Nothing keeping them from putting Spike outside and them having him send the message... But...

3. Zecora received her best role in the series so far. 

I actually think it was for the best. Celestia was out (because she always is, anyway...) and Luna already had her moments to shine ready. Not to mention that the alternative was handled very well with Zecora and her smarts. I like to imagine that Luna, able to enter dreams, knew what was going on and would've done something (supposing her guards are actually useful). I'm glad it's not in the episode, but Luna threatening to blast Trixie like Nightmare Moon can do to the timberwolf in another episode, or something, would've been hilarious.

Not only did I enjoyed how each of the mane 6 were characterized save for one exception but especially of how they beat Trixie.

I just find it amusing the way that dangerous individuals are just left to their own devices in a world where actually tracking them, specifically, could be done easily. Fortunately, most of the time, it isn't an issue that distracts too much. And i was satisfied with Trixie's apologies.

I'd just add to the mention of humor the tricks Twilight and Zecora used against Trixie with help from their friends.

EDIT: Crap. I forgot to add the answer to the other post about Celestia. I'm fine disagreeing with you on stuff because you at least understand the other side's point of view and respect it. That is a lot more than I can say about most of my discussions with people on the subject. Also, i'll add a few more points since they were missing when I saw your post about the episode.

Honestly, I didn't think that the stuff Trixie did was much worse than what Discord had done in his episode or the idea of love-eating monsters. Also, slavery isn't new to the cartoon thanks to King Sombra. Trixie only did it to characters we care more and in our face. That is the point, I guess. This Trixie is not the same as the one we knew.

Fluttershy... Yeah... Now that you mention it, I supposed I agree.

And Trixie's reformation didn't bother me. I think that punishment of any kind is only acceptable if it serves a purpose. She had understood what she had done wrong and felt sorry, and was free from the influence of the amulet. I think that it would've been bad if in following episodes she had betrayed what she learned and Twilight's trust. But this is only in retrospect, since I'm talking about later episodes. So I can understand why someone would think that her redemption wasn't done properly.

Finally I love those two envoys from Saddle Arabia. I'd really like the show to explore Saddle Arabia in the future and maybe tell me more about them.

Edited by Metemponychosis
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

5. I enjoyed some of the world and lore building here. These are of course the revelation of a middle eastern country expy in Saddle Arabia.

latest?cb=20130309070353

And their ambassadors presumably. They look more like horses than other characters in the series instead of ponies.

Of course, they're still clearly anthro compared to the actual thing:

img-3627726-1-Horse_Horse.png

Therefore, I can safely admit that Amira (the female ambassador's official name) kind of has it going on ( :wub: ).

• Like 2

On 3/7/2017 at 8:49 AM, Nuke87654 said:

Ouch on that one.

Fortunately, it was fixed in relatively-short order.

Alright, I'm sorry for my own stubborn views on the matter for Celestia at the gala. I just believe I don't see any issues there as I don't view her actions as malicious since I view her plans for the gala were wrecked too.

If you apologize, so should I. :) The thing is... there are different kinds of parties. There's nothing inherently wrong with the Gala. Just as there's nothing inherently wrong with, say, one of Pinkie's parties. I mean look at Inspiration Manifestation, where Rarity ruined that birthday party and tried to make it a formal affair. That was wrong, too.

I eagerly await that post as I'd be excited to hear what you have for Princess Luna or so.

Well, I'm gonna be kinder on her... and not so kind on her. You'll see below.

True on that, I'll agree to not bringing the comics and the fact that a fight is about winning. Yea he does have more limitations than I like to imagine. I should remember that despite his actor being used, Discord is not on Q's level of power in any shape or form.

I hate that fanon of Discord Q. Same actor does not mean same character! Not yelling at you, just... general irritation. Sorry.

True on the Pinkie Pie realization.

Yup. One of those moments that has me not hating her.

I wouldn't call just Twilight a moron and even Spike went along with the plan considering that yea so many things could go wrong there. Only reason it gets mitigated has to do with that the original pinkie pie suggested it herself and wanted to use it as proof she's worth for the 'Pinkie Pie' title and that it's one way it can work, just one that's extremely risky. I may need to add that part to the review or so.

You're right. All of them were dumb for going along with it. If you wanna add anything, go right ahead.

On 3/7/2017 at 10:10 AM, Nuke87654 said:

Today, I'm going to review the fifty seventh episode in the Friendship is Magic series and the 3rd season's fifth episode, Magic Duel. It is written by M.A. Larson and it's storyboard artists are Lih Liau and Marshall Fels Elliot. 

I love this episode. It's not even funny how much I love it. :D First off, Trixie returns. Second off, they take the stock fanfic plot of, "Trixie returns to take revenge!" and actually make it pretty damned good. And I'll be honest. When she screwed with Pinkie, Rarity and Rainbow Dash, I let out a cheer. Hell, yeah!

I'll agree the ending should've been a bit more of compensation. One idea I heard was Trixie helping out around Ponyville, helping to restore it. In the end, convert the throne to a new wagon, do a good show and leave on good terms.

Now... Luna. The thing is, with her, I have more... and less sympathy than with Celestia.

Onscreen, she's been a legit force for good. See the dream therapy with the CMC. And when it comes to episodes like Luna Eclipsed and Do princesses Dream of Magic Sheep, I actually wanna hug her towards the end. There's also her not having her head stuck in the sand like with Celly in The Crystal Empire.

But... Nightmare Moon. We've all heard it. "She was shunned and ignored! Poor widdle Woona!"

Thing is... the ponies slept through her night. Well, yeah. That's kinda what most people do. Especially in what is pretty clearly an agrarian society. I mean seriously, that image from the book in the series premiere? That is not some sort of industrialized city. Celestia tries to reason with her, too. But nope. She goes Nightmare Moon-willfully, I might add-and proceeds to try and kill Celestia.

Yeah... I'm no fan of Celestia. but there goes pretty much all my sympathy for her.

I give Celly legit props for feeling bad about it. Good on her. But for me, she doesn't have to feel bad about it. because Luna fucked up big-time.

• Like 2