25 minutes ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Meanwhile Discord, Chryaslis, Sombra all get woobie bullshit fanon heaped upon them, when they've been actual monsters.

To be fair, Discord and Comics!Sombra aren't entirely undeserving of the "woobie bullshit fanon."

Same can't really be said about Chrysalis (in the show or comics), though.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

I'm with @MasterSaruwatari on the Gala. I don't care if it was accidental or not, they wrecked a party. A party that, quite frankly, I'd vastly prefer to anything Pinkie Pie would throw. So it wasn't what they thought it was? Too bad, assholes!

As for the Canterlot 'nobles', which I put in quotes because none of them, with the exception of Blueblood, have any titles assigned to them, what in God's green earth did these ponies do to deserve such vile hatred and bile heaped upon them?! They like a fancy party? They go to art galleries and wear fancy clothes? Pillage and burn them! Kill them all!

Yeah, I'm pissed by that attitude. The absolute WORST you can say is that Blueblood is a jerk. not like the mad god Discord, who mind-raped people for shits and giggles, Sombra, whose mere memory caused PTSD in the Crystal Ponies, Chrysalis who invaded. Nope, the canterlot populace are horrible, evil scum.

As for Celestia? Why didn't she talk about her feelings towards it? Hell, she's in charge of the whole damned thing! Say something. Don't ruin the night for ponies who worship the ground you walk on! She did, if not the most immature thing possible, then close to the damned bottom.

I'm sorry. I'm just... I'm so tired  of this attitude towards them. I'm so tired of them being treated like dirt by large segments of the fandom for no reason. I've heard the Gala be described as a 'pit of vipers', or 'pony Versailles', which is basically a scheming court of assholes. Meanwhile Discord, Chryaslis, Sombra all get woobie bullshit fanon heaped upon them, when they've been actual monsters.

A fair point and it is true that they did wrecked the party at everyone's expense, intentional or not as you said.

While I do agree that I would like to see a more positive portrayal of the canterlot nobles, at the same time, compared to the villains, they're not exactly held as eviler scum compared to the big time villains, especially with Chrysalis in the comics as @Anti-Villainmentioned. We have Filthy Rich in the show who is portrayed as a decent fellow for the most part (wish they kept that characterization in the comics and EQG film though) and Fancy Pants, who really was the first canterlot elite that was shown to be a good person. Other than a few more being antagonists, I don't really see the pony elites as evil scumbags in the show.

As for the fanon though, yea I can imagine they would be an even bigger crutch for a cheap antagonist so I can say we need more upper class ponies portrayed positively.

39 minutes ago, Anti-Villain said:

To be fair, Discord and Comics!Sombra aren't entirely undeserving of the "woobie bullshit fanon."

Same can't really be said about Chrysalis (in the show or comics), though.

Admittedly, I don't read the comics. Or that could/should be more appropriately phrased that I don't read comics. My first exposure to Marvel media was Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. DC was the 1978 Superman movie, Batman 1966 and the Lynda Carter Wonder-Woman. As for Discord, he had a golden moment at the end of Twilight's Kingdom part two, and I actually sympathized with him in Make New Friends and Keep Discord. But beyond that... 99% a monster to me.

29 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

A fair point and it is true that they did wrecked the party at everyone's expense, intentional or not as you said.

While I do agree that I would like to see a more positive portrayal of the canterlot nobles, at the same time, compared to the villains, they're not exactly held as eviler scum compared to the big time villains, especially with Chrysalis in the comics as @Anti-Villainmentioned. We have Filthy Rich in the show who is portrayed as a decent fellow for the most part (wish they kept that characterization in the comics and EQG film though) and Fancy Pants, who really was the first canterlot elite that was shown to be a good person. Other than a few more being antagonists, I don't really see the pony elites as evil scumbags in the show.

As for the fanon though, yea I can imagine they would be an even bigger crutch for a cheap antagonist so I can say we need more upper class ponies portrayed positively.

It's in thew fanon that a lot of times their slight snobbishness is overblown into full-fledged assholishness, yes. There's been more than one fic I would otherwise love... except completely unnecessary making anyone from Canterlot either a whiny asshole or corrupt down to their bones.

Okay, got that out of my system. ;)

1 hour ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

Btw I had a question for you Nuke. Did you enjoy the framing of these first couple of episodes? Because thinking back even in the bad episodes. The framing is really good. 

I would like a better clarification on framing as I do not understand exactly what you mean.

49 minutes ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

It's in thew fanon that a lot of times their slight snobbishness is overblown into full-fledged assholishness, yes. There's been more than one fic I would otherwise love... except completely unnecessary making anyone from Canterlot either a whiny asshole or corrupt down to their bones.

Okay, got that out of my system. ;)

You can always point out how Twilight is definitely an upper class pony considering how she went for a tryout to enter Celestia's school, which I'm sure you need some cash to be considered for it if you're not some exceptionally gifted student. How all the princesses are upper class ponies by default. And that Rainbow Dash maybe one too considering how lavish and big her single home is.

On 26/10/2016 at 1:17 PM, Nuke87654 said:

So I have return with another review, this time on the third episode of season 1 in Ticket Master.

Ticket Master, the third episode in the series and of season 1 is written by the collaborative efforts of Amy Keating Rogers and Lauren Faust, and story boarded by Alex Basio and Kevin Schmidt.

Originally, this episode was an eleven minute episode by Faust's hand before it went into production with Hasbro for Season 1. Amy Keating Rogers helped stretch the episode out to be a 22 minute episode to meet it's needed half hour time slot. One of the first scenes Hasbro used as part of FIM's trailers for the show was using scenes from this episode in Big Macintosh happily recieving his new plow in AJ's Grand Galloping Gala dream. Curiously, this would often be the first episode that many of the international dub releases would start with over the series's pilot. Many scenes from this episode would also be used in the IOS app: Twilight Sparkle Teacher for a day and it's Ruckus Reader version: Twilight's Sparkles Special Lesson.

In this episode, Twilight struggles to find which of her friends must she pick from to give one of two tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala as they all give her their reasons and motivations to attending the prestigious Grand Galloping Gala event.

-snip-

Conclusion: Ticketmaster does a pretty good job at setting up the motivations and reasons for why the remane five should have the ticket over the other for Twilight and good first episode for the grand galloping gala arc for season 1. This in turn also reveals a bit more on the characters on our heroines in Pinkie, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash that many in the audience would like. Still, the eleven minute plot doubles it's length of time with fillers to compensate for meeting that 22 minute time slot, and it's plot only lasts as long because Twilight never bothered to ask Celestia if she could get more tickets till Celestia herself says that she should've done it sooner.

Score: 7.5/10

Grade: C

I can't see anything I disagree with here.

People are talking about the gala, but I'll leave my thoughts about that when we come to it. (and why I think that some episodes in this cartoon are so bad that they manage to hit past episodes...). The same about Canterlot nobility.

• Like 1

@Nuke87654

"The Framing Device is a narrative technique in which a story is surrounded ("framed") by a secondary story, creating a story within a story, often through Separate Scene Storytelling. The inner story is usually the bulk of the work. The framing device places the inside story within a different context."

Just now, MasterSaruwatari said:

@Nuke87654

"The Framing Device is a narrative technique in which a story is surrounded ("framed") by a secondary story, creating a story within a story, often through Separate Scene Storytelling. The inner story is usually the bulk of the work. The framing device places the inside story within a different context."

Ah that, I'll agree to that. One other thing I'll give credit to the earlier episodes is that I feel they were paced better too as well.

3 minutes ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

I think that is why MLP:Fim has never suffer a seasonal rot like other shows. Also yeah I would agree somewhat on the pacing.

That's one thing that helps it immensely for it's longevity true. I just hope they can recover from the poor focus they had in S6.

• Like 1

Yeah season 6 had a poor focus but a good finale and good one off episodes made it good for me. But the arc put into place wasn't as strong as the last two. But I feel season 6 helped us pad the good episodes total for CMC and RD. It also saved the Starlight Glimmer character.

Just now, MasterSaruwatari said:

Yeah season 6 had a poor focus but a good finale and good one off episodes made it good for me. But the arc put into place wasn't as strong as the last two. But I feel season 6 helped us pad the good episodes total for CMC and RD. It also saved the Starlight Glimmer character.

Aye, I'm pleased that you're content in those details about season 6.

Back again, and this time we're onto Applebuck Season, the 4th episode of Season 1's FIM.

Applebuck season is the 4th episode of the series and season 1 of FIM. It is written by Amy Keating Rogers and the storyboard artists for this episode were Sherann Johnson and Mike West.

Originally, this episode was supposed to be an episode where AJ loses her senses sharpness after suffering a concussion from applebumping on the trees as originally Lauren Faust envisioned AJ working the apple trees via bashing them with her noggin. Hasbro would convince Faust to alter this to using her legs to buck them instead and change the story of this episode too. Personally, I feel this was a good change as it would leave one to question why they would risk such an injury farming like that. Originally, Rarity was to have her own need for AJ to help her out like Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy did in the episode but it was cut out in the second draft according to Amy as they felt it was too repetitive and it took up too much time.

In a show of pride and equal stubbornness, AJ vows to the injured Big MacIntosh that she'll clear all of the Sweet Apple Acres Apple Trees contents all on her own at the cost of having sleep deprivation that would prove to problematic for the folks of Ponyville.

Positives:

1. Applejack shows off a bit of character and character development in this episode by showing a major flaw with her is how painfully stubborn she can be and the impact it can have. In this episode, we get to see Applejack, the dependable, honest, and hardworking pony undergo a character development in this episode via showing off her big flaw in that she's a very stubborn and prideful pony of her habits. This would play into the episode's narrative where due to how she's overworking and exhausting herself to the point she is suffering sleep deprivation, this would affect Ponyville in a number of ways:

A. Embarrass herself at the award ceremony made in her honor for saving Ponyville from a cow stampede.

B. Knock Rainbow Dash sky high into Twilight's tree house.

C. Sent multiple ponies into the infirmary after making muffins with wrong ingredients.

D. Tried to speed the process of the bunny census too fast, causing them to panic and have them scatter to ponyville where they caused ecological damage to it.

This side story would help to show case to the audience of how valuable AJ is to Ponyville and especially of how her stubborn pride can hurt it in a number of ways other than her own well being. This bit of character in her would also play noted roles in her future episodes as well.

2. I especially enjoyed the humor in this episode. I'll admit that I have omitted the humor portion in an episode in the past couple reviews I have done. Here I will start to correct that by declaring of how I much I enjoyed the humor in this episode. I feel that this is one of Amy's finer works in the comedy department in her tenure as a FIM writer. Not only did I enjoyed some humor moments such as the stampede scenes (the bunnies ruining Ponyville helped in that regard), Dash's awesome face that gave birth to the dashie faces, and Twilight yelling at AJ while the country pony mistakes the bookworms words for something else, and many more.

3. I did liked Twilight's role in the episode too. One rather underrated role I think Twilight had in the series was in here where she tries to help the stubborn pony move out of her hard headed shell. Here, Twilight was especially determined to break through it as she not only didn't give up trying to coax Applejack to accept help or so, but also that it was purely out of concern and care for her country friend rather than a belief of weakness in AJ as she wanted to believe it was. While a secondary and small role, it's a good showcase and use of Twilight as a secondary character in the show.

4. Big MacIntosh is given a first speaking role in the show here. Of firsts to note here, Big MacIntosh, a noted reserved and quiet recurring character in the show is given his first speaking role in this episode. One thing that struck me was of how rather talkative he is here as he was able to form a full on conversation with AJ here. Heck, he only utters his 'Eeyup' catchphrase only once in this episode. This leaves me to believe that his eventual flanderization into that catchphrase singing pony until they fixed it in the later seasons was a direct result of the fandom being in love with that drawl or so. I'm happy the show has moved him out of that role as it was overdone and just made it look silly.

Negatives:

1. While this episode showed off how stubborn AJ can be, her cause for it is very weak. Here while this episode does a well enough job to show off AJ's flaw in being stubborn, however I disliked what caused it. For the most part, the reason why she's willing to risk injury, risk suffering a severe case of sleep deprivation, risk causing incidences in Ponyville, and finally lose tons of apples and efficiency at work for the sake of stubborn pride. Sorry if folks wish to challenge me on this saying it was the point of the narrative or so, but it just don't add up to me for how she thought that showing off she can do the whole sweet apple acres on her own without help was worth risking all of those consequences? That's not the markings of a dependable pony, that's the markings of careless and prideful jackass.

2. How did Pinkie Pie not notice the kind of ingredients that AJ was making? One other thing that annoyed me due to it caused by plot induced stupidity on Pinkie Pie's part is how did she not notice or heard AJ putting in and saying the ingredients that not only weren't the stuff she requested, but how the ingredients themselves looked in the bowl? Seriously they had to mix the thing at some point and yet Pinkie never asked "Hey AJ, why does this not look like the stuff I asked for?"

3. And to end on a final note of this episode, let's throw in a 'Spike is gross' gag via having him eat the sick inducing muffins out of a garbage bin. However, the humor itself was not perfect as there was one black mark I will have to put in this review. At the end of the episode, we see Spike eating the muffins that he took out of a garbage bin for whatever reason other than to invoke the comedy trope 'boys doing gross things' to end the episode much to the disgust of the mane 6. This is not only out of character for Spike to do but it left a poor taste in my mouth seeing it too.

Conclusion: Applebuck Season does a decent job at establishing a character flaw in Applejack in her stubbornness and how impactful AJ can have on Ponyville for it even if I think her justification for it is very weak. The humor in this episode is one of my personal favorites from Amy Keating Rogers that helped give birth to the dashie faces despite my distaste for the spike gag at the end. Big MacIntosh was given his first speaking role in the series and has started the positive impact he would have on the show and the periphery audience itself. Finally while Twilight herself had a good secondary role I liked, Pinkie Pie on the other hand left this episode a rather mixed bag for me and arguably the worst one I have seen yet in my watch through of FIM.

Score: 7.0/10

Grade: D+

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nuke87654 said:

Originally, this episode was supposed to be an episode where AJ loses her senses sharpness after suffering a concussion from applebumping on the trees as originally Lauren Faust envisioned AJ working the apple trees via bashing them with her noggin.

Geez, that sounds painful. 

I like Applebuck Season but, I understand the problems with it particularly, your second negative point.

Terrific review!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Geez, that sounds painful. 

I like Applebuck Season but, I understand the problems with it particularly, your second negative point.

Terrific review!

Aye, this is one of those cases I agree with Hasbro's decisions over Faust's.

Thank you very much, @Sparklefan1234. I hope my reviews will continue to please you.

• Like 1

I loved Applebuck Season. I often say that there are three things that I consider important in an episode: characters, humor, and "charm". This one, I consider nails all three. Of course, it was "too early" to make a judgement about how the episode handled AJ, but at the time I didn't see anything about it that annoyed me and I loved learning about her. I also really enjoyed this episodes's brand of humor with AJ's shenanigans and it definitively had that "MLP charm" that I love.

6 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

Originally, this episode was supposed to be an episode where AJ loses her senses sharpness after suffering a concussion from applebumping on the trees as originally Lauren Faust envisioned AJ working the apple trees via bashing them with her noggin. Hasbro would convince Faust to alter this to using her legs to buck them instead and change the story of this episode too. Personally, I feel this was a good change as it would leave one to question why they would risk such an injury farming like that.

I remember hearing about this and I'm very glad they decided against it. In my opinion, it would've turned all the "charm" on it's head.

At the time, I would've given this one a higher grade, but I hadn't bothered with the negatives you point, that are definitively present. However, the first negative doesn't really bothers me. Stubborn pride is part of AJ, after all. It blinds.

• Like 4

The fifth episode of season 1 and of the series is Griffon the Brush Off. It is written by Cindy Morrow and written by storyboard artists Tom Sales and Sam To.

A thing to note about the character name Gilda is that originally her name was Grizelda according to Hubworld's listing of her. It was also a name that was originally used in an audition script for Apple Bloom.

Now your story summary is that as Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash start hitting it off well with each other as they both realized they love to pull pranks only for this to be interrupted by the arrival of an old friend of Rainbow Dash, a Griffon named Gilda.

Positives:

1. This episodes does an excellent job establishing the character dynamics between Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy.  One great thing that I will say is the episode's best feature is how well it establishes the character dynamics three ponies in Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy have for each other  with Pinkie Pie being the center of it.

A. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash seem to have not have formed a particularly strong friendship with each other before this episode aired as dialogue would indicate. Here this episode changes that for the best as it shows that both Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash are two pranksters that like to have fun pranking other people in harmless humor filled fun.

B. Pinkie Pie also seems very protective for the older but timid yellow Pegasus. Despite being a year older than Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy seems to be under the guardianship of Pinkie Pie as not only did we see her tell Rainbow Dash not to prank on Fluttershy in fear she'll get frightened by it but when we see Gilda do that to Fluttershy, not only does Pinkie get pissed but she vows essentially vengeance on Gilda for it. I wish for more flutterpie stuff cause this is a side of Pinkie Pie that I feel needs to play up more and better in future episodes.

2. Gilda the Griffon makes her first appearance here in this episode. A noted secondary character in the fandom and show, Gilda, makes her first appearance here where she first appears as Rainbow Dash's jealous friend where she sees Pinkie Pie as a threat to her time with her so Gilda does whatever she could to have her to buzz off, including knocking her down to the ground. Now I'm not going to say Gilda's character here is particularly good as for the most part it's a one note bully character with only her relationship with Rainbow Dash being anything colorful. Still she did introduced us to the griffons, had a small niche of fans in the fandom along with their bigger love for griffons, but also of how she develops into a much better character much later down the line. Here I would give credit to the episode for giving us Gilda and Griffons on the show.

3. This episode does the first time of mentioning of how old the mane 6 are. While only giving that Pinkie Pie is a year younger than Fluttershy, this does at least help measure the age order of the mane 6 being that Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie are only a year apart. While other clues would help into how old the mane 6 are, I'll say this is the series's first at helping audiences guess and such.

Negatives:

1. Gilda's characterization leaves alot to be desired and how she was used too. As mentioned before, Gilda's characterization here for the most part is a one note bully save for her attachment to RD her beloved friend. Thus it's hard for me to like this gilda here where she comes off as simply a jerk and little else.

2. I did not like Pinkie Pie's behavior towards Gilda in the episode. Shocking isn't it that instead of the episode convincing me to hate Gilda for her aggressive behavior that I actually ended up disliking Pinkie Pie more than her. My reasonings are this:

A. Initially, Gilda seemed fine with Pinkie Pie when they first met so this would suggest that normally Gilda isn't an antagonistic character.

B. This changes when Pinkie Pie comes again and interrupts her time with Rainbow Dash and continues to do so despite repeated warnings from Gilda to leave them alone. While I'm not going to say Gilda is blameless, but I do feel that Pinkie Pie should be called out for essentially being pushy and not giving Gilda and RD their time together in peace.

C. After she sees what Gilda did to Fluttershy, while a good show of Pinkie Pie to look out for her, at the same time it does show Pinkie Pie essentially vowing revenge against Gilda.

D. So Pinkie Pie set that all of the jokes or so were done by RD. Note that RD is the one who did all of them and she does not provide her own joke in this regard. Assures Fluttershy that she's gotten it taken care of. Goes and lets Gilda get hit by all of them, and than as expected Gilda goes ballistic only to piss RD off for trashing on her and her friends which leads to their breakup.

Call me out for looking into this more cynically, but I have a feeling that Pinkie Pie also showed off a rather very vindictive side of her where she went out of her way to humiliate and piss Gilda off enough to cause her to go berserk on the ponies and lose her friendship with RD. When you take into context of how Gilda had a pretty lousy life outside of RD, it suddenly makes Pinkie Pie come off as a huge jerk to Gilda for what she did at the party and a rather dark moment for Pinkie Pie. While folks like to call Pinkie out for her treatment of Fluttershy in the S4 episode and rightly so, I do feel that folks should call Pinkie out more here for what she did to Gilda at the party just for how vindictive it seemed she was to her here.

Conclusion: While I did liked what the episode had done between Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy and for giving us Gilda, the story for the most part had the major issue with me of how it characterized Gilda and how Pinkie ultimately behaved and reacted towards her in the end which casts a not so rosy view on the party pony.

Score: 6.5/10

Grade: D

• Like 3

Agreed.

When I was younger I used to feel jealous of my friends. Childishly, I felt left out whenever my friends were doing something without me. I think that this could've been a better story for Pinkie Pie than what got from the episode because of Gilda and Pinkie's behavior in the whole episode. People talk about Celestia, but Pinkie is another character I see the writers struggling with (well, they try, at least). What actually happens here is that the writers wanted the audience to think that Pinkie had set up the pranks at the party, but... What a twist! It was Rainbow.

I think that what they wanted to do is to show that Pinkie tried in her own unique way to approach Gilda, but when the gryphon felt frustrated, thinking that Pinkie was picking on her, she showed her true colors and lashed out at Rainbow unintentionally. This is that kind of story where if the characters behaved like actual people, they could've fixed the whole situation with a nice talk.

Yeah, I like this one too, but it's not one of the brightest. It is, however, very fun to watch.

• Like 1

I swear, every time I heard Gilda speak, I thought Grunge Rock was coming back. Nirvana and Pearl Jam, your time has come again! Toad the Wet Sprocket, arise!

*Ahem* I agree Gilda's a pretty one-note bully, here. Unlike the next episode's antagonist, she doesn't have much else going for her besides being friends with Dash.

• Like 1