On 3/21/2017 at 5:01 PM, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Unlike Rarity, who looked like she was about to start dry-humping the architecture!

Count Von Count: "Over 9,000! Over 9,000 Bronies who suddenly found themselves envying architecture!"

• Like 2

Today, I'm going to review the sixty fourth episode in the Friendship is Magic series, and it's third season's twelfth episode, Games Ponies Play. It is written by Dave Polsky and it's storyboard artists are Corey Toomey and Justin Nichols.

On July 11th, 2012, Tim Stuby with an online sketch of Rainbow Dash where she returns after her collision form the Pony Spa with the words 'PLEASE MAKE RD LOOK MORE LIK A HOBO. TY.' In the early part of January 2013, he states that '312' has a new title. The premise of the episode was inspired by the BBC sitcom Fawlty Towers episode 'The hotel inspectors'. Meghan McCarthy would reveal the name of one of the characters in the episode, a country pony mistaken for an equestria games inspector, Ms. Peachbottom. On December 7th, 2013, when asked about when at any point in the drafting of the episode did the ending made sense, he replied "There was an unfortunate mix up on that episode, that would have been caught were the sched not so tight. That's all I'll say."

The mane 6 take a trip to the Crystal Empire in order to ensure that the visiting Equestria Games inspector will be able to approve of the Crystal Empire as the location to host the Equestria Games.

Positives:

1. This episode works in part with Just for Sidekicks to tell two different parties and their tales for the day.  As mentioned from my previous review, this episode decided to work a tale of two parties and their tales of the day. We've seen Spike's side of the day from Just for Sidekicks, and now we're looking at the perspective of the mane 6 and how their day went. This was rather good little experiment or so to tell such a day between two groups and their tales and I would have to give it at least a small credit for the story idea.

2. Twilight Sparkle had some subtle character development in her finding a good coping mechanism to control her panic attacks. One thing that I will give credit to Twilight's development here is of how Twilight is being taught by Princess Cadance to learn to control her anxiety better by inhaling and exhaling. 

latest?cb=20130211012916

Yes, like that Twilight. ASMR is a good relaxation technique. 

Twilight would repeat this technique on her own throughout and would actually remark that she's actually not panicking about the situation as badly as she feared which pleased her and showed how effective this is. Her lessening anxiety attacks would highlight Twilight's character growth from the past seasons. Folks would miss that but it does show her growth or so.

3. Rainbow Dash's conflict and desire to get the crystal ponies there Equestria games reveals a bit of character on her part too. I will give good credit to in the episode for Rainbow Dash's characterization. Throughout the episode, we're shown that Rainbow Dash has a personal attachment to the Equestria Games ever since Cloudsdale lost out on the chance to host it over Fillydelphia. 

latest?cb=20130210094935

From what I've heard, the person holding Rainbow Dash is not her father but some 'sensei' or so just to let you know.

As a result, Rainbow Dash would be motivated above all the others to ensure the Crystal Empire won't have to experience that feeling of disappointment that she had in her youth.

latest?cb=20130210104905

I need an adult. I' am an adult. 

This would involve her playing some over the top antics or so in order to get the mistaken for an Equestria Games inspector, Ms. Peachbottom, such as her deciding to lead her inside a castle she had little knowledge on herself and of course leading her to the wrong direction.

latest?cb=20130210160926

One of Rainbow Dash's most hilarious moments in the show.

As a result of these actions, development, and of how it was Rainbow Dash who would take the fall for the team when they outed for screwing up, I would say that she can be considered the primary protagonist of the group here and I enjoy her for it as such.

4. Ms. Peachbottom and Ms. Harshwhinny prove well to my liking. The two characters that were introduced in the episode were well characterized to my liking. This would be the assumed Equestria Games inspector who is actually just a country pony hailing from the land of Mustagnia and the actual Equestria Games inspector in the rather dour Ms. Harshwhinny.

latest?cb=20130210121640

Ms. Harshwhinny and Ms. Peachbottom from left to right.

These two I liked for how they were characterized which I will detail what I liked. Ms. Peachbottom seems to be a simple country girl who was rather excited for the chance to visit the Crystal Empire and seems to love being outdoors and roaming around to highlight her country lifestyle. One thing of note is that she seems to suffer a fear of being inside enclosed building due to a bad case of claustrophobia to the point she'll run away frightened if she's in there too long. 

latest?cb=20130213065809

Also she's physically very fit as she's able to run alongside competing pony athletes for what's their equivalent of the Olympics.

latest?cb=20130214011107

She's also likes to tease and flirt with folks she likes.

As for Ms. Harshwhinny, she seems to be a no nonsense type of person who is very professional about her behavior and will seek to do whatever she needs to complete and inspect on the mark. 

latest?cb=20130210142916

And she'll get pissed the fuck off if you aren't up to her standards in such insulting fashion.

At the same time, the dour pony has shown that she's fair however in that if she hears or sees something she likes she'll give you praise for it as befitting of someone of her station as the Equestrian games inspector and seems to be the kind who won't play favorites with anyone save for merit. 

Overall, these two help to make this episode a delight for me in the episode and it's something that I like to enjoy in this episode.

5. I like the humor in the episode too. As you can see above, I enjoyed the humor in the episode for alot of reasons and such and I feel you will too.

latest?cb=20130210144453

Funny faces Pinkie.

Negatives:

1. None of the mane 6 went and asked Ms. Peachbottom if she was the equestria games inspector. Much like how S1's 'The ticketmaster's' problem with it's plot was that Twilight never asked Celestia beforehand if she could request more tickets when it became a problem, here none of the remane five sans Rarity (who pretty much was written out as she took care of Cadance's hair) asked Ms. Peachbottom if she were the equestria games inspector. I dislike such premises as typically it requires folks to act like idiots in order for the plot to be carried on and dragged on until it reaches it's point. As @RK_Striker_JK_5 made mention of below, with Twilight in ticketmaster, due to not being very socialable then, and her first time handling such arguing friends, I can understand why she would struggle to pick which one out. Here they had no excuse as they wanted to ensure that everything is going well for the inspector so they might as well ask if they got the right one.

latest?cb=20130210124202

Yes, because you glared at us and spoke to us sternly, we will assume you're the Equestria games inspector and not ask if you're that person we're expecting.

2. The plot had a broken aesop that helped decide the Equestria Games for the Crystal Empire. The narrative at the end I disliked even more as it declared of because the mane 6 and the crystal ponies treated the fake equestria games inspector with great care and respect despite her not being one, Ms. Harshwhinny would approve of the Crystal Empire for the location of the next Equestria Games due to how well treated a commoner was treated and not due to how she's the equestria games inspector. Except the only reason why they even bothered with her in the first place was because they thought she was the Equestria games inspector and did everything they could to treat her with all the bells and whistles that Ms. Harshwhinny dislikes in her inspections. Had they known it was Ms. Harshwhinny and not Ms. Peachbottom that was the Equestria games inspector, they would be doing the same thing.

latest?cb=20130210102932

So due to how we mistook someone for the real equestria games inspector and showered her with appraisal and stuff, the real one will give us the Equestria games to host!

Conclusion: Games Ponies Play is an episode that had some good stuff that I like with how characterized Twilight's development, Rainbow Dash, and the two ponies in Ms. Peachbottom and Ms. Harswhinny and some especially funny moments in the episode too, the faulty premise of depending upon someone not asking the targeted person if she's the real Equestria Games inspector, but especially of how the episode relied on literal broken aesop in order to ensure the Crystal Empire got the Equestria Games, leave this with a failing mark in my opinion.

Score: 6.0/10

Grade: F+

Edited by Nuke87654
RK striker showed me a detail I missed and I wish to add it in the review.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

1. None of the mane 6 went and asked Ms. Peachbottom if she was the equestria games inspector. Much like how S1's 'The ticketmaster's' problem with it's plot was that Twilight never asked Celestia beforehand if she could request more tickets when it became a problem, here none of the remane five sans Rarity (who pretty much was written out as she took care of Cadance's hair) asked Ms. Peachbottom if she were the equestria games inspector. I dislike such premises as typically it requires folks to act like idiots in order for the plot to be carried on and dragged on until it reaches it's point. 

Yes. It was very clever. And this part, I legit liked.

2. Twilight Sparkle had some subtle character development in her finding a good coping mechanism to control her panic attacks. One thing that I will give credit to Twilight's development here is of how Twilight is being taught by Princess Cadance to learn to control her anxiety better by inhaling and exhaling. 

Shame it failed at the end...

1. None of the mane 6 went and asked Ms. Peachbottom if she was the equestria games inspector. Much like how S1's 'The ticketmaster's' problem with it's plot was that Twilight never asked Celestia beforehand if she could request more tickets when it became a problem, here none of the remane five sans Rarity (who pretty much was written out as she took care of Cadance's hair) asked Ms. Peachbottom if she were the equestria games inspector. I dislike such premises as typically it requires folks to act like idiots in order for the plot to be carried on and dragged on until it reaches it's point. 

It's a massive idiot plot. And it's even worse than the Ticket Master, IMHO. Twilight in season one had little experience with friendship and asking this kind of stuff. She was hungry and agitated. I can give her a pass, then. Here? Nope. It's just plain dumb, and pretty damned bad considering the target audience. It's a definite lesson that needs to be taught, to ask and not assume. Hell, flower-print luggage? My own mom's got luggage like that!

Agree 100% about the broken Aesop, too. All in all, despite some good nuggets, this was a bad episode with a bad message.

• Like 2

This is one of those episodes that aren't really good, but I can't help loving it. It has a "charm" to it. It has good humor, but so much doesn't really make sense.

1 hour ago, Nuke87654 said:

2. Twilight Sparkle had some subtle character development in her finding a good coping mechanism to control her panic attacks.

I actually hated this. I thought that if that was to be "a thing", it ought to have been Celestia teaching that, while Twilight was a kid. Makes me wonder how bad of a mentor Celestia is that doesn't give a damn about Twilight's freaking out over stuff. Funny it only became an issue because they drew attention to it with Cadance. The thing is... It's part of what makes Twilight herself. You don't mess with these because you raise that kind of questions and risk breaking your character or making the whole thing irrelevant.

• Like 1

You know, there's something I forgot concerning 'Games Ponies Play'. It had Rarity taking shortcuts with Cadance's mane-style. That's massively OOC for her. Rarity is meticulous and something of a perfectionist. She wouldn't take shortcuts with something like that!

• Like 2

On 3/23/2017 at 1:15 PM, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Yes. It was very clever. And this part, I legit liked.

Shame it failed at the end...

It's a massive idiot plot. And it's even worse than the Ticket Master, IMHO. Twilight in season one had little experience with friendship and asking this kind of stuff. She was hungry and agitated. I can give her a pass, then. Here? Nope. It's just plain dumb, and pretty damned bad considering the target audience. It's a definite lesson that needs to be taught, to ask and not assume. Hell, flower-print luggage? My own mom's got luggage like that!

Agree 100% about the broken Aesop, too. All in all, despite some good nuggets, this was a bad episode with a bad message.

Think you meant for another one for the top end one.

To be fair, considering how stuff went to shitter after they found out they get the wrong person, it was rather appropriate to panic there.

True, good point that I will need to add in review. Thank you very much. I agree it wasn't good, though I'm rather surprised it wasn't as bad as I feared or so.

On 3/23/2017 at 2:33 PM, Metemponychosis said:

This is one of those episodes that aren't really good, but I can't help loving it. It has a "charm" to it. It has good humor, but so much doesn't really make sense.

I actually hated this. I thought that if that was to be "a thing", it ought to have been Celestia teaching that, while Twilight was a kid. Makes me wonder how bad of a mentor Celestia is that doesn't give a damn about Twilight's freaking out over stuff. Funny it only became an issue because they drew attention to it with Cadance. The thing is... It's part of what makes Twilight herself. You don't mess with these because you raise that kind of questions and risk breaking your character or making the whole thing irrelevant.

I didn't mind it as Celestia has told her to relax and calm down before in S2's Lesson Zero. Here it's to show that Cadance has also helped out Twilight to calm her anxiety which I don't see a problem with or so.

44 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

I didn't mind it as Celestia has told her to relax and calm down before in S2's Lesson Zero. Here it's to show that Cadance has also helped out Twilight to calm her anxiety which I don't see a problem with or so.

Those are different, specially because Celestia's "influence" made no difference since it happened before we knew the character and that was Twilight's 'default' behavior, which supposedly, is wrong, because Cadance tries to fix it. But that is not the problem. Let me put it in another way:

On 23/03/2017 at 3:33 PM, Metemponychosis said:

I actually hated this. I thought that if that was to be "a thing", it ought to have been Celestia teaching that, while Twilight was a kid. Makes me wonder how bad of a mentor Celestia is that doesn't give a damn about Twilight's freaking out over stuff. Funny it only became an issue because they drew attention to it with Cadance.

This is me being myself, bitching that Celestia loses more and more 'ground' in the cartoon's universe.

On 23/03/2017 at 3:33 PM, Metemponychosis said:

It's part of what makes Twilight herself. You don't mess with these because you raise that kind of questions and risk breaking your character or making the whole thing irrelevant.

This is bad character development, like Twilight becoming a princess. Cadance taught Twilight something that goes against a key component of Twilight's character. There are three ways this works: 1) Twilight changes and becomes less herself, which is a problem in this case because this messes with part of the comedic component of her character (which is a giant part of MLP since it is very shallow in other areas); 2) Twilight doesn't change because the status quo is the bottom line and what Cadance did doesn't really make a difference and gets forgotten; or 3) Twilight does it sometimes and it works sometimes but not really because Twilight must be funny (again, humor) and it becomes a quirk, not a character trait.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

Those are different, specially because Celestia's "influence" made no difference since it happened before we knew the character and that was Twilight's 'default' behavior, which supposedly, is wrong, because Cadance tries to fix it. But that is not the problem. Let me put it in another way:

This is me being myself, bitching that Celestia loses more and more 'ground' in the cartoon's universe.

This is bad character development, like Twilight becoming a princess. Cadance taught Twilight something that goes against a key component of Twilight's character. There are three ways this works: 1) Twilight changes and becomes less herself, which is a problem in this case because this messes with part of the comedic component of her character (which is a giant part of MLP since it is very shallow in other areas); 2) Twilight doesn't change because the status quo is the bottom line and what Cadance did doesn't really make a difference and gets forgotten; or 3) Twilight does it sometimes and it works sometimes but not really because Twilight must be funny (again, humor) and it becomes a quirk, not a character trait.

I wouldn't call it wrong, just that they feel that she has to have a means to control her anxiety or so. And considering of how they're trying to teach her up to be a princess and thus can't really have her panic in tense situations that she'll undoubtedly face, I don't see it a problem of them trying to give her a means to better control it. And from what Season 7 seems to indicate, it seems they may go with option 3 where it doesn't surface save for extreme circumstances like losing the cutie map.

Today, I'm going to review Friendship is Magic's sixty fifth episode in the series, and it's thirteenth episode of it's third season, Magical Mystery Cure. It is written by M.A. Larson and it is storyboarded by Tom Sales, Johnny Castuciano, with assistance from Sabrina Alberghetti. 

M.A. Larson wrote the episode on November 2011. Sabrina in late December 2012, she used 'what little power' as she described it to insert one of her favorite background ponies into the episode who clarified it's not her oc. While it was ultimately cut out of the episode, Andrew Stein (better known as Mandopony) did played a mandolin cue in the episode.

Twilight awakens to find that her friends' cutie marks have been switched around to something else and she must find how to solve this issue that plaguing them and Ponyville for it.

Positives:

1. The large amount of musics sung in the episode is excellent and will provide you an entertaining ride hearing them. As the musical episode that it is, Magical Mystery Cure is in my opinion one of the show's best with an excellent collection of songs such as 'Morning in Ponyville, What my mark is telling me, I've got to find a way, A true, true friend, Celestia's Ballad, Behold, Princess Twilight Sparkle, and Life in Equestria.' Many of them such as True True Friend can be easily among the series's best and what makes this such a delightful positive in this episode to have.

latest?cb=20130217091416

Hats off for this collection of musics.

2. I enjoyed the narrative of the episode, and yes that includes Twilight Sparkle becoming a princess.

latest?cb=20130217101859

HERESY!!!

Now before I get onto the pretty purple pony princess with wings here, I will have to say that I quite liked what I saw in the story despite the problems it had that I will get to below. I enjoyed the conflicts we see in the remane five of how they were doing jobs that their cutie marks are. To make this point even more striking, because the cutie marks switched up their character talents and personalities onto someone else, it's sort of like a body switching or so where the person tries to take the roles that their cutie mark is but are finding it difficult to do it well and are failing as a result as the cutie marks aren't compatible with the pony bodies they're attached to.

latest?cb=20130314011846

"It's what my cutie mark is telling me that I can do. So why I'm doing so terrible at it? What is wrong with me? Why can't I do this right? I was able to before." What the remane five are probably thinking or so after their repeated failures.

Twilight herself would be deeply affected by how miserable her friends are, especially since it was by her own hoof that unwittingly caused it. Thanks to Celestia sending Twilight an unfinished Starswirl spell that she requested her to fix for her, when Twilight activates it to see what's up with the spell or so, it inadvertently went and targeted her friends and caused them to switch their cutie marks around. On that note, I know folks like to blame Twilight for the cause of her friends cutie marks getting switched up, but it wasn't her fault, all Twilight did was the equivalent of a diagnostic check on the spell to figure out what's wrong and to find nothing until the next morning. 

latest?cb=20130217110344

When she's told to fix this by someone, she runs a diagnostic and nothing happens apparently only to find next morning it screws over your friend's house's power supply, do you blame the person who was told to fix it and only did a diagnostic on it, or the person who requested for repairs and not warned her of that possible consequence?

Still, Twilight would quickly find a way to resolve this problem as she finds that by showing her friends of what they used to do before the spell happened and convince them to do this instead, there they will start to realize that perhaps this is who they really are instead.

latest?cb=20130218115430

It helps that in Fluttershy's case that her animal friends were happy to see their master and friend return to them to feed them. 

And after some time to help her friends return to their normal selves, that the situation resolved itself to where Twilight was able to figure out how to finish the spell, which she did using the elements of harmony her friend's possessed.

latest?cb=20130217134545

And ended up sending Twilight to pony heaven instead.

There, what could be best described as some mysterious heavenly place that only Celestia and Luna know how to get there, there Celestia congratulates her on a job well done and proceeds to put wings on her and give the festivities to celebrate this occasion.

latest?cb=20130217155840

Liquid pride from her big bro, aww.

Now as for Princess Twilight, honestly I don't see a problem with it. My reasoning is that I see this as a natural step for her character as Celestia's personal student and it does make sense that being a princess is one possibility for her and that overall in the series, I don't see it causing any problems or so that is plaguing the series on her own and that it does open up interesting avenues for her character to do. Thus I would agree with this choice ultimately in the long run as I felt it did many more good than bad for the series. Not to mention it was awe inspiring to see her complete it or so.

latest?cb=20130217161623

Just pretend this scene of her flying out of Canterlot castle never happened and things will be fine.

3. I enjoyed Twilight's characterization throughout the episode. Of course, one big plus for the episode and why her ascension to being an Alicorn worked was how well characterized she was in the episode. Here we not only see her distraught to see what she had unintentionally caused her friends lives to be altered and causing misery and chaos in Ponyville for it, but of how she soon learned of a way to save her friends and took to action immediately to do so. 

latest?cb=20130217133336

Friendship is Magic.

During her ascension, she still displayed her bookish worm tendencies as she wondered if there were any instruction manuals on how to be an effective pony princess though Celestia and her friends would help in support for her or so and was being quite humble about it as she gave praise to her friends for being responsible for her ascension or so. Thus I'd support even more for Twilight's ascension considering all the stuff she did to save her friends, to resolve a spell a great wizard couldn't figure it out, and of how well characterized she was in general here.

Negatives:

1. The episode's plot was extremely rushed. Now of course, we got to mention of how rushed the plot is cause it is. Alot of things were rather 'artificially' resolved too soon and not given the proper time to stew and simmer to make the progression feel natural and instead feel that everything is going too fast. 

latest?cb=20130217114527

In just like a couple of minutes, I quickly find the way to figure out how to save my friends cause we don't have time for me to think it over for a day or so.

Course to be fair to this episode, it originally was going to be a two parter finale for season 3 until along the way they decided to turn it into a single episode but still have the material of a two part episode with many stuff cut from it. Thus I feel like the reason for the rushed pacing is because it was trying to tell a two parter episode in the time slot of a single parter. This was a rather poor choice DHX as I felt it would've been had it stuck to being the two parter it was supposed to be.

2. Princess Celestia's characterization in the episode is very machivellian and the episode doesn't call her out for it. By far the episode's biggest problem is how Celestia was portrayed in it. This would highlight one of S3's problems in how it characterized Celestia in the season where it felt like she was being a self serving asshole who manipulated events to ensure she got what she wanted or so. This episode highlighted that where she sent a malfunctioning unfinished spell with the instruction to fix it to Twilight and likely knew it was going to cause mayhem in Ponyville and even affect her friend's lives so she can force Twilight to resolve it right away. While Twilight did fix it, what if she failed, how are the remane five's lives and Ponyville's lives going to be fixed back up or so? Celestia took a huge risk at the expense of a whole town full of pony's lives, just so she can promote Twilight to be a princess.

latest?cb=20130217144506

What I wished Twilight had said 'Wait, so you sent me that spell, knowing it would harm my friends and make other ponies lives in Ponyville miserable, just so you can turn me into a princess? Why!?'

As above, I felt that Twilight should've questioned Celestia and specifically ask her what was her intention to making Twilight a princess, at least let Celestia open up and give her reasoning to turn Twilight into one so that way we can understand why she's doing it throughout S3. But no, we don't get that as it was glossed over; a shame really.

On that note, Celestia would reveal that one of the biggest reasons why she sent Twilight to Ponyville to make friends was to help her along the way to make her a princess. I honestly did not like the ulterior motive of Celestia as this reveals a rather very 'ends justify the means' approach that Celestia seems to like to employ which again feels like the entirety of Twilight's development in S1-S3 was manipulated by Celestia. Again, if they had called her out on it, have her explain that she did it for the good of all and that there's a big threat she's worried about, then I can at least accept she had reason to act this way. Instead her motivation was 'I wanted a new pony princess, and I'm willing to try and risk a whole kingdom and her friends just to achieve that.' This point would paint Celestia as a selfish asshole who is willing to risk other pony lives just to achieve what she wants.

Conclusion: Magical Mystery Cure is not the disastrous episode that alot of fans like to call it as such. While it does have plenty of problems with the rushed plot and of how Celestia was characterized in the episode, but I will say that I enjoyed it more than I hated it. With many great songs in this episode to make this musical episode great if not underrated, Twilight's excellent characterization to helping her friends out, and the still good narrative that I enjoyed throughout the story for the struggle the remane five were under from the malfunctioning spell, the rescue from their fate, and Twilight's ascension leave this episode in a better spot than I gave credit to it previously.

Score: 7.0/10  

Grade: D+

• Like 2

@Nuke87654 

Before I begin, I would like to say that even though Magical Mystery Cure is my favorite episode in MLP I agree with your cons 100%.

What I liked about Magical Mystery Cure:

• Twilight Sparkle ascending to Alicornhood.
  • The songs. My favorite being "What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me".

What I didn't like about Magical Mystery Cure:

• I feel like the resolution was rushed & I wish the episode had been split into two parts considering the severity of the situation.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

Magical Mystery Cure is not the disastrous episode that alot of fans like to call it as such. While it does have plenty of problems with the rushed plot and of how Celestia was characterized in the episode, but I will say that I enjoyed it more than I hated it. With many great songs in this episode to make this musical episode great if not underrated, Twilight's excellent characterization to helping her friends out, and the still good narrative that I enjoyed throughout the story for the struggle the remane five were under from the malfunctioning spell, the rescue from their fate, and Twilight's ascension leave this episode in a better spot than I gave credit to it previously.

This is my 2nd favorite epidsode in Season 3. Like you said, the songs are excellent and the plot is good, and I absolutely loved Twilight becoming an Alicorn.

I agree that it was rushed, but the reason DHX condensed the finale to one episode is that it thought MLP:FIM was going to end at Season 3, and having 65 episodes gives them an opportunity to give a summer-long rerun of the series for kids (i.e. watching one episode per day throughout their summer vacation). I've heard that that is a conventional practice for many series.

You know what's funny? When I first joined a Brony community, I was still on Season 1, and assumed that all the pictures of Alicorn Twilight were just fan-made. :P

• Like 2

I love this episode for the songs and for the idea of Twilight "graduating". I just hate the fact that it amounted to almost nothing. This is what I was complaining before. To this day, I don't see a reason why Twilight needed to be a princess, because there was nothing she's ever done after that needed her to be a princess or an alicorn. Hell, the most powerful character in this cartoon, that isn't a draconequus, is a plain unicorn. Being a princess or an alicorn means nothing to Twilight, despite the dialogue always implying that it does. This is a problem with the following episodes, but it would be kinda awkward to mention this every time and it's really because this episode setup something that amounted to nothing, in my opinion. If the series ended here, it would've been perfect to me.

Other than that, I think that the notion of the whole town falling apart because a few ponies aren't doing their jobs is... Let's say contrived. Rainbow Dash isn't the only pegasus that works climate. Why is Rarity ruining the the whole thing by herself? But I suppose that this is part of the whole visual identity of the episode. It's a musical and not a typical episode and it needs this sort of visual to help the songs carry the story along.

Because of this, it's nature as a musical, I don't think that it was rushed. Maybe I'm not being imaginative enough, but I feel like that if they had extended this episode further, they'd have ran out of stuff to show.

Also, this is the first time (I think) the show introduces a spell that you activate by reading it aloud. Maybe the idea of the rhyme goes with the musical theme, but it felt a bit off to me. Not only because of that, but because I'd imagine that Twilight wouldn't be that careless. Unless spells like that are rare and Twilight shouldn't expect it to activate just by reading it.

Celestia's manipulation isn't a problem for me. Because I find it easy to assume that she knew what she was doing, trusting Twilight would come out of this on top. Kinda like in the premiere, and also with the same problem that the writer didn't really know how to deal with the idea. The problem, as usual with her, is the lack of a clear motivation for her actions and an acknowledgment that she knows what she's doing when she's messing with others and that her intention is their well being. But I think that saying that Celestia "wanted" a new princess is wrong. The feeling I got is that this is out of Celestia's control and her role in it is simply guiding the other towards realizing their own destiny. What I think is really beautiful for Celestia, as a teacher. Though it needed more care on the part of the writers as a whole. Not just Larson in this episode. I mean, I think that it is a problem with the series as a whole, not just here.

I'm now going to take a few tablets of passiflora in preparation for next episode. Maybe some acetaminophen to be on the safe side...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

I love this episode for the songs and for the idea of Twilight "graduating". I just hate the fact that it amounted to almost nothing. This is what I was complaining before. To this day, I don't see a reason why Twilight needed to be a princess, because there was nothing she's ever done after that needed her to be a princess or an alicorn. Hell, the most powerful character in this cartoon, that isn't a draconequus, is a plain unicorn. Being a princess or an alicorn means nothing to Twilight, despite the dialogue always implying that it does. This is a problem with the following episodes, but it would be kinda awkward to mention this every time and it's really because this episode setup something that amounted to nothing, in my opinion.

To me, I have to say "sort of" to that. I think her encounters with Tirek and Starlight Glimmer worked in Twilight's favor with her being an alicorn, though I admit the former might be stretching it. With Season 6, yeah, what little momentum they had making her princess role important ground to a halt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WaterPulse said:

To me, I have to say "sort of" to that. I think her encounters with Tirek and Starlight Glimmer worked in Twilight's favor with her being an alicorn, though I admit the former might be stretching it. With Season 6, yeah, what little momentum they had making her princess role important ground to a halt.

Maybe I'm not seeing something. How exactly being an alicorn made a difference there?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

Maybe I'm not seeing something. How exactly being an alicorn made a difference there?

The former, I guess she was able to hold her own against Tirek until they unlocked the Elements of Harmony . The latter, a symbolic thing, her being the princess of friendship and all.

But yeah, I'm grasping at straws here.

• Like 1

It doesn't even look like Twilight's life has changed significantly after being an alicorn. She's still just living her life in Ponyville. Even so, this is still more than what her "teacher" has ever done.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Nuke87654 

Before I begin, I would like to say that even though Magical Mystery Cure is my favorite episode in MLP I agree with your cons 100%.

What I liked about Magical Mystery Cure:

• Twilight Sparkle ascending to Alicornhood.
  • The songs. My favorite being "What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me".

What I didn't like about Magical Mystery Cure:

• I feel like the resolution was rushed & I wish the episode had been split into two parts considering the severity of the situation.

^^ I agree on those points man :)

22 hours ago, ChB said:

This is my 2nd favorite epidsode in Season 3. Like you said, the songs are excellent and the plot is good, and I absolutely loved Twilight becoming an Alicorn.

I agree that it was rushed, but the reason DHX condensed the finale to one episode is that it thought MLP:FIM was going to end at Season 3, and having 65 episodes gives them an opportunity to give a summer-long rerun of the series for kids (i.e. watching one episode per day throughout their summer vacation). I've heard that that is a conventional practice for many series.

You know what's funny? When I first joined a Brony community, I was still on Season 1, and assumed that all the pictures of Alicorn Twilight were just fan-made. :P

True, the 65 episode syndication would give the biggest reason for the change to a single parter, just wish they killed at least One Bad Apple or so in order to get the finale the two parter it was meant to be. Lel, to be fair, many in the community have made alicorn art of Twilight even during Season 1.

20 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

I love this episode for the songs and for the idea of Twilight "graduating". I just hate the fact that it amounted to almost nothing. This is what I was complaining before. To this day, I don't see a reason why Twilight needed to be a princess, because there was nothing she's ever done after that needed her to be a princess or an alicorn. Hell, the most powerful character in this cartoon, that isn't a draconequus, is a plain unicorn. Being a princess or an alicorn means nothing to Twilight, despite the dialogue always implying that it does. This is a problem with the following episodes, but it would be kinda awkward to mention this every time and it's really because this episode setup something that amounted to nothing, in my opinion. If the series ended here, it would've been perfect to me.

Other than that, I think that the notion of the whole town falling apart because a few ponies aren't doing their jobs is... Let's say contrived. Rainbow Dash isn't the only pegasus that works climate. Why is Rarity ruining the the whole thing by herself? But I suppose that this is part of the whole visual identity of the episode. It's a musical and not a typical episode and it needs this sort of visual to help the songs carry the story along.

Because of this, it's nature as a musical, I don't think that it was rushed. Maybe I'm not being imaginative enough, but I feel like that if they had extended this episode further, they'd have ran out of stuff to show.

Also, this is the first time (I think) the show introduces a spell that you activate by reading it aloud. Maybe the idea of the rhyme goes with the musical theme, but it felt a bit off to me. Not only because of that, but because I'd imagine that Twilight wouldn't be that careless. Unless spells like that are rare and Twilight shouldn't expect it to activate just by reading it.

Celestia's manipulation isn't a problem for me. Because I find it easy to assume that she knew what she was doing, trusting Twilight would come out of this on top. Kinda like in the premiere, and also with the same problem that the writer didn't really know how to deal with the idea. The problem, as usual with her, is the lack of a clear motivation for her actions and an acknowledgment that she knows what she's doing when she's messing with others and that her intention is their well being. But I think that saying that Celestia "wanted" a new princess is wrong. The feeling I got is that this is out of Celestia's control and her role in it is simply guiding the other towards realizing their own destiny. What I think is really beautiful for Celestia, as a teacher. Though it needed more care on the part of the writers as a whole. Not just Larson in this episode. I mean, I think that it is a problem with the series as a whole, not just here.

I'm now going to take a few tablets of passiflora in preparation for next episode. Maybe some acetaminophen to be on the safe side...

Biggest reason for the transformation to princess alicorn was that Hasbro wanted her to be a princess and thus they gave her wings for it. One thing to take into account of the show is that whatever toyline Hasbro wants to push on the show, you can only do is try to make it work as the show's primary goal is to be a toy advertisement for them. From what I'm seeing. True, it would've ended very well had it been a series finale which it originally was. As for how the princess thing has progressed, I would say that it's been fine for her character other than in Season 6 and that has more to do with how poorly characterized Starlight Glimmer and how little time she had in S6 to really hit it off well. The potential of teacher and student is still there, just they have to write it better. I would say stuff like Ponyville being miserable and falling apart had to do with how several key ponies are doing poorly and out of norm stuff and how rushed the episode is. They didn't had time to properly develop the plot to have that point so it had to be cut out for time. 

I say she didn't knew the spell could activate like that or even target  her friends specifically. From what I saw, she merely did a diagnostic checkup on the spell to see what was wrong with it, ascertained nothing, and decided to call it a night and figure it out tomorrow or so. Just she never knew the spell would go after her friends or so.

True, you're right, had Celestia's actions been explained more than 'I want Twilight to be a princess,' to 'It is fated you will be the one to lead Equestria. I merely pushed you to that direction as necessary, even if I had to make some rather questionable decisions on my part. Choices that I normally would be attest to,' I would have accepted it as a necessity or so for Equestria. Without it, it just feels rather machivellian of Celestia to risk the lives of ponies to get a goal as simlple as 'make Twilight a princess'. This is what I wished they had done with Celestia in S3 was to explain what her motivations to making Twilight were beyond getting a new alicorn. At least let her try to justify the rather grey choices she made to get Twilight to being one.  Ah yea, be ready for that one as well, I remembered disliking it for being fillerific, but before that, I need to do a Season 3 review or so.

15 hours ago, Number539 said:

It doesn't even look like Twilight's life has changed significantly after being an alicorn. She's still just living her life in Ponyville. Even so, this is still more than what her "teacher" has ever done.

I'd say that shows of how not a bad decision it is considering it hasn't really harmed the show or so and has opened this sort of arc for Twilight trying to better herself as a princess. From what we've seen of the two in the show, sure I'll agree there.

• Like 3

Biggest reason for the transformation to princess alicorn was that Hasbro wanted her to be a princess and thus they gave her wings for it. One thing to take into account of the show is that whatever toyline Hasbro wants to push on the show, you can only do is try to make it work as the show's primary goal is to be a toy advertisement for them. From what I'm seeing.

There isn't one person in the fandom that doesn't understand that, Nuke. But that is still bad writing if it doesn't impact the character in a meaningful way. Whatever it did or not, I think is up to each one's perceptions. I'm happy that there is more pony, though. So, it's a mixed blessing for me? Like Cadance. I like her, but you know what I think about the number of alicorns and princesses.

As for how the princess thing has progressed, I would say that it's been fine for her character other than in Season 6 and that has more to do with how poorly characterized Starlight Glimmer and how little time she had in S6 to really hit it off well. The potential of teacher and student is still there, just they have to write it better. I would say stuff like Ponyville being miserable and falling apart had to do with how several key ponies are doing poorly and out of norm stuff and how rushed the episode is. They didn't had time to properly develop the plot to have that point so it had to be cut out for time. 

I think that Twilight was wonderful as a teacher. Both for her experience as a teacher, and for her being a teacher. An episode dedicated to them, sitting and talking was everything I've ever asked for Twilight and Celestia. And the good thing is that there's still room for more. It wasn't perfect, of course, but I think that the problem was on SG's part. I have to make all sorts of mental gymnastics just to not think of her as a villain. Wel... New season coming in, and I'm excited for it.

It's true. The problem with Ponyville in the episode really could be fixed with more time. You're right.

I say she didn't knew the spell could activate like that or even target  her friends specifically. From what I saw, she merely did a diagnostic checkup on the spell to see what was wrong with it, ascertained nothing, and decided to call it a night and figure it out tomorrow or so. Just she never knew the spell would go after her friends or so.

I don't think that she should know that the spell would target her friends and the elements. I think that coming out of a supposedly elite teaching institution, where she was the personal student from the Princess, Twilight unwittingly activating the spell is similar to a doctor prescribing two drugs that knowingly interact badly. Unless, of course, spells that activate like that are rare. Like I said, it was the first time the show introduced the idea. The problem is that the cartoon never says it is or isn't.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2017 at 9:41 PM, Nuke87654 said:

Think you meant for another one for the top end one.

You're right. I did. I meant that the setup for the episode was clever. My bad, there.

On 3/25/2017 at 11:15 AM, Nuke87654 said:

Today, I'm going to review Friendship is Magic's sixty fifth episode in the series, and it's thirteenth episode of it's third season, Magical Mystery Cure. It is written by M.A. Larson and it is storyboarded by Tom Sales, Johnny Castuciano, with assistance from Sabrina Alberghetti. 

Oh, yeah. This episode. I hate it. You know I hate it. I disagree about Twilight's culpability with the spell, but I'll hold off on that. Other than that... god this episode SUCKED.. Worst season finale of them all, IMHO. Just... I should not want to powerbomb Celestia through a flaming table by the end of it! Yet, I do! By gods, Celly. Fuck you and your manipulative bullshit and...

I'm going to leave off here. Otherwise, unlike my relatively-measured dissection of her last time, I'll just rant and rave like the Ultimate Warrior on a bad day. Ponder that one! :anger:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

You're right. I did. I meant that the setup for the episode was clever. My bad, there.

Oh, yeah. This episode. I hate it. You know I hate it. I disagree about Twilight's culpability with the spell, but I'll hold off on that. Other than that... god this episode SUCKED.. Worst season finale of them all, IMHO. Just... I should not want to powerbomb Celestia through a flaming table by the end of it! Yet, I do! By gods, Celly. Fuck you and your manipulative bullshit and...

I'm going to leave off here. Otherwise, unlike my relatively-measured dissection of her last time, I'll just rant and rave like the Ultimate Warrior on a bad day. Ponder that one! :anger:

Aye.

As for worst finale, I have a feeling that S6's finale may piss me off more :P

• Like 1

Like before, I will conduct a review of Season 3 to tell what I thought about the season and what points that I liked and disliked about it, and I will include rankings of the mane 6 and episodes of Season 3 to tell whom I considered the best and worst one. 

1. S3's arc of giving Twilight Sparkle pony wings for her new role as a pony princess while had some wonky executions I like however. As mentioned, the execution for this arc isn't done well due to how Machiavellian Celestia was in Season 3 and some poor characterization of Twilight in the The Crystal Empire would harm this arc. Still, for what it set out to do and achieve, I liked it as for me, I would say that I don't mind Twilight becoming a princess as for me it opens up opportunities for Twilight's character to have in her development, I haven't felt her role as a princess has harmed the show in anyway, and that the idea of Twilight becoming an Alicorn in hindsight wasn't a far fetched thing, I would side with the choice. Ultimately I feel that this arc has done more good than bad for the series with the decision to make Twilight an alicorn princess despite the obvious bad choices it has made in the arc.

2. Season 3 would be the official start of Celestia's prestige waning to the pathetic depths it is at today. While Season 2's finale, A Canterlot Wedding, would be the one to shatter the aura of invincibility that Celestia once had in the show, it can be recovered if enough good works can be done to fix her of that. In S3, we don't get that. Instead throughout the whole season, starting with the premiere, she turned into a pretty grey pony in terms of morals to say the least. In the premiere, she not only refused to send Luna in to help Twilight out despite her sister's wish to do so, told Twilight to care about passing a test over the lives of the Crystal Empire, and most damning of them all was the order to not use her friends to help her out to defeat Sombra, which would go against the message of the show involving 6 pony friends and their adventures, but especially is that if it weren't for Spike disobeying Celestia's orders, Sombra would've won as Twilight screwed up against the first trap she faced. Since this episode, it pretty much started this image away from the morally right and benevolent goddess of Equestria to someone that is more machivellian and is willing to put other folks lives at risk for the sake of achieving her own goals. This won't be the end of it as it happens again in the episode 'Keep Calm and Flutter On', where she orders Discord to be released for his prison because she wanted to make use of his powers and hopes her student and her friends can befriend him. Yea trying to befriend a spirit of chaos who is far stronger than any of you put together without the elements of harmony, a being who has done nothing but cause misery and torment on pony kind at his own leisure, and is literally one element of harmony not being used away from causing chaos as he pleases. He's the kind of person you do not look for help unless you're facing against a dire threat that is far stronger than anything you've encountered and are desperate enough to call in him to stop it. Instead her reasoning was that 'she wanted to make use of his powers'. That is no where near enough to justify the huge risk she is taking with him. Finally, in the season finale, Magical Mystery Cure, it was revealed that she purposefully sent a malfunctioning spell that would cause Twilight to inadvertently affect the lives of her friends and ponyville. Sure Twilight resolved it, but again this is another risk she is taking that would be at the expense of  ponies where if she failed, she's risking that her friends and ponyville will be miserable for this action. Finally, at the heaven scene or so in Magical Mystery Cure, she revealed that she had planned this all along and had intended for Twilight to become a princess, even sending her to ponyville to make friends. This means that Celestia manipulated Twilight's development from the series pilot to the end of Season 3. With a mixture of deviance, manipulative, self serving, and incompetent, Celestia looked really bad in Season 3 and as a result will fall from the loft heights she once had from S1 and S2 and hasn't recovered since.

3. Princess Luna would receive a supporting role in an arc with the cutie mark crusaders that really boosts her prestige or so. On the other hand, Luna looked even better than her S2 role as she partakes in an arc helping the Cutie Mark Crusaders with their problems and dreams out, starting with Scootaloo in Sleepless in Ponyville. In Sleepless in Ponyville, she would provide guidance and support for Scootaloo while calming her fears down or so in her nightmare. This rather small but crucial role helps Luna out tremendously to fulfill her role as a guardian of the night and dreams and it provides Luna with something that has proven to be a fantastic thing for her in the series with providing help and moral support for the Cutie Mark Crusaders in this 'dream episode' arc they're having in seasons 3, 4, and 5. 

4. I liked a couple of villains of S3 despite some of their flawed problems they had. I enjoyed the villains of S3 as I felt they were done pretty well to my liking. Starting with Sombra who I felt was an effective big bad villain that could seriously have wrecked Equestria up if he was given the chance but thanks to Spike and others, they managed to stop him. With how he gave one big middle finger to the princesses in defeat by banishing the Crystal Empire along with him, was able to set up traps that would paralyze Twilight and if not for Spike disobeying an order from Celestia, set up an alarm for him to trap any intruder getting it, and how close he was to grabbing the crystal heart, you can say how cliche his appearance is and how his lack of any real dialogue hurts him, Sombra knew how to get things done and would be a terrifying threat if he had his way. Trixie however was the best villain in my opinion of Season 3. She returned not only in force and in charge, but she was rather over the top about it too where she punished and controlled Ponyville as she saw fit. Despite the rushed reformation and tonal problems Magic Duel had, it characterized Trixie very well in it. On that note, I'm not a fan of Babs Seed as honestly she was a terrible bully villain and her episode was so bad that you might as well ignore it from the series and pretend the much better Apple Family Reunion is her introduction episode where she's far friendlier to her cousin Applebloom.

5. Zecora, Grannie Smith, and the pets received possibly their best roles in the series in Season 3. Now I want to give a mention to these two ponies in Zecora and Grannie Smith for how splendid each had in the season with Magic Duel for Zecora, and Apple Family Reunion for Grannie Smith and mane 6's pets in their roles in Just for Sidekicks. For Zecora, she provided guidance and help for Twilight when she was kicked out of Ponyville by Trixie's hooves and needed help to improve her magic. And despite the progress that Twilight was undergoing for her magic, due to the time it wasn't enough, but still Zecora, instead of being used to cheaply give a plot device to resolve the episode's problem like before, she instead gave a hit for Twilight to ponder on how to defeat Trixie which Twilight soon picked up on it how. This for me highlights of how I think Zecora should be used in the series instead of being the usual plot device deliverer. As for Grannie Smith, she received her best role in Apple Family Reunion due to the great support she provided for AJ while her character developed to where she shows that she has a great relationship with her cousin and seems to like to tease their aunt for pranks and fun. For the mane 6 pets, they had some really good moments in Just for Sidekicks whether it be their shenanigans or how the certain pets like Opalesence with Tank, and Owlicious and Spike hit it off with each other. The star of them however is easily Angel who bounced back really well from his series worst appearance from S2's Putting your Hoof Down where he starts to show off his Jerk with a heart of gold persona and that so long as he feels you aren't being greedy asshole like he viewed Spike was being to them, he would get along well with you and he's shown that he does care Fluttershy very well despite his rather curmudgeon personality. If you wanted to see a good reference for these two and the mane 6 pets and especially for Angel, start watching the episodes I mentioned above.

6. The Equestria Games arc would start here in S3. While Just for Sidekicks was a part of the story of Games Ponies Play, it was Games Ponies Play that would start the Equestria Games arc that would develop and finish in Season 4 by giving the Crystal Empire the chance to host the Equestria games. Not executed well to start with considering of how rather poor of a reason it was to give the Crystal Empire the chance to host it, but everything else is fine for it, especially with giving one of it's best assets in Ms. Harshwhinny.

7. Spike started of great but faltered as the season progressed. One of the biggest positives of the season premiere where he was great and did deserved his status as hero considering what he did to save Equestria from Sombra, however after that episode, in his other episodes, he became either an out of character idiot in Spike at your service or his worse where alot of his character development was removed in the episode Just for Sidekicks. Thus while Spike started off hot, he grew cold at the end.

8. Cutie Mark Crusaders would start off bad but finish well at the  end. On the opposite spectrum, the cutie mark crusaders would start off badly in One Bad Apple where their retaliation against Babs Seed's bullying would prove detrimental for them in my view. However, their later episodes like Sleepless in Ponyville, Apple Family Reunion, and Just for Sidekicks would prove much better for them by varying degrees but they do finish stronger at the end.

9. Discord's reformation was rushed and forced in order to make him a good guy. One rather controversial issue that folks have was the decision to make Discord into an 'anti hero' person instead of the villain he was in S2. This would involve some rather wonky stuff such as Celestia doing it to use his powers, Fluttershy befriending him cause she was ordered to, and Discord's sudden change of heart at the climax to get him on the good guy side at the end would highlight the issues that. To make matters worse, it seems that in Season 4 they would recognize that problem and try to fix it or so but for now, his reformation in S3 was very weak.

10. Season 3 had probably it's 2nd best streak of episodes in the series. Despite the usual hate that Season 3 would garner, I felt that alot of folks missed out on how Season 3 had the 2nd best steak of episodes in the show with the likes of:

A. Magic Duel: A very good episode and comeback for Trixie that would require one of the best mane 6 works in the show in order to take her down.

B. Sleepless in Ponyville: One of the best episodes in the show and arguably the best one of Season 3, this heartwarming tale of Scootaloo trying to earn Rainbow Dash's affection and Luna coming to help will delight you.  

C. Wonderbolts Academy: Possibly the best Rainbow Dash episode in the series. This would host one of the most bravest moments in the show when she takes her stand against Lighting Dust's reckless actions and even is willing to throw her dream of becoming a Wonderbolt when she refused to heed to their supposed tolerance for it.

D. Apple Family Reunion: Arguably the most underrated episode in the series. This great Applejack episode shows a tale of her trying to handle more and more stuff from Grannie Smith such as handling the Apple Family reunion and tries her hardest to prove she's ready for it despite how it would pose issues for it.

This is a very impressive list of episodes in my honest view and I feel that Season 3 should be given more credit for this despite what alot of folks like to say how bad it is or so.

11. Now onto how the characters performed in Season 3.

A. Twilight Sparkle: She had a much weaker performance from arguably her series best in Season 2 to here in Season 3. Thanks to a poor start in the Season premiere where she would allow Celestia's asinine orders and a test to cloud her judgement and even come off pouting at the end that she didn't get to be the one to save the Crystal Empire instead. Coupled with her out of character characterization in Spike at your Service in order for the plot to survive, it would ensure her role in S3 is weaker. Still she had many good spots in it such as her roles in Magical Mystery Cure and Magic Duel, and even a small note of character development in the episode Games Ponies Play does ensure she does look well in S3 despite the miscues.

B. Pinkie Pie: A much better outing in Season 3 than the series worst appearance of her in Season 2. Her humor not only became much better and more in line with what she had in Season 1 to where her supporting roles were stronger as a result, but her sole episode in S3, Too many Pinkie Pies, provided a surprisingly mature take on her when she feels guilty for causing misery and mayhem in Ponyville for her actions that can be viewed as perhaps her most underrated role in the series. Of course it wasn't perfect still as her poor characterization in One Bad Apple and her repetitive characterization in Wonderbolt's Academy would mar it a bit but not so badly as what Twilight had at the premiere. 

C. Applejack: Honestly if not for her sole miscue in One Bad Apple, it's going to be really hard to decide if she and another one is deserving of best pony of S3. She was awesome in S3 whether it be an awesome sister for Applebloom in Sleepless in Ponyville and showed concern for Scootaloo, trying to set up the Apple Family Reunion to be the best one for her family's sake and to prove herself under the gaze her possibly dead parents, and show how great she was towards Spike and trying to convince him to stop serving her or so out of discomfort for having a servant. This can be argued to be Applejack's best season if you wish to.

D. Rainbow Dash: This is Rainbow Dash's best season in the show. Season 3 showed her to be awesome for being a tender and caring surrogate sister for Scootaloo that the little had sought from her, showing how brave and awesome she can be when she stared down the death of her dream in Wonderbolt's Academy, and even show a rather mature handling of when they had to reveal to the Equestria Games Inspector of their mistake as she took the fall for her friends. This is the Rainbow Dash I want the show to look to as this was for me the quintessential Rainbow Dash of the series. 

E. Rarity: I might as well put a N/A sign here because she literally did nothing here in Season 3 that was either memorable or infamous. Due to a lack of episodes and notable secondary roles in this season, Rarity truly felt like S3's 'background pony' as so many like to mock AJ with.

F. Fluttershy: Despite how poor she was in Season 2, I feel that Season 3 was even worse for her and can be viewed as the start of her character stagnation and regression she would suffer in Seasons 3 and 4. While Season 2 at least had her learn to be more assertive, here if not for essentially forcing Discord to be her friend, which she herself admits she doesn't like him and is only doing it to fulfill an obligation Celestia gave to her, she would have done nothing in S3 either. Other than a bunny stealth outfit, she honestly was pretty bad in S3.

Here's my ranking of the mane 6:

1. Rainbow Dash

2. Applejack

3. Pinkie Pie

4. Twilight Sparkle

5. Rarity

6. Fluttershy

12. Episode Rankings are:

1. Sleepless in Ponyville: A. Possibly Scootaloo's best episode in the series.

2. Apple Family Reunion: A. Strong candidate for most underrated episode in the series and one of AJ's best episodes too.

3. Wonderbolt's Academy: B+ Best Rainbow Dash characterization in the series.

4. Magic Duel: B+ Fantastic return for Trixie and gave us one of the mane 6's best in taking down a villain.

5. Too many Pinkie Pies: B Perhaps Pinkie Pie's most underrated characterization found here.

6. Magical Mystery Cure: D+ Despite the feared apocalypse, Twilight becoming a princess turned out to be a relatively good choice in the end.

7. Just for Sidekicks: D While they may have nuked Spike's characterization here, they did made up for it with a much better portrayal of the mane 6 pets.

8. The Crystal Empire: F+ Arguably the show's worst season premiere. 

9. Games Ponies Play: F+ Started off the Equestria Games arc, but not so well with a rather forced ending from a broken aesop. 

10. Spike at your Service: F Only survives due to plenty of plot induced stupidity. 

11. Keep Calm and Flutter On: F Forcing Discord to be a good guy for poor reasons gets it here.

12. One Bad Apple: F- For your safety, pretend this episode doesn't exist and you'll look at Babs Seed fine.

13. What can the show learn from this season? What I feel is most important for them to learn is that Rainbow Dash doesn't need to be trashed in order to look good. In fact it's better if she appears awesome or so as this season did. Other than that, not much else it hasn't done better in other seasons.

14. Conclusion: Overall despite how many hate Season 3 and often call it the worst in the show, I feel that alot of folks have missed out on the halved season is the rather stellar characterizations it gave us for the tomboy ponies, Scootaloo, the pets, Zecora, and Grannie Smith that I feel folks will enjoy very much. Sure it has some wonky executions that hurt several episodes cause of it and one really bad episode, but I feel that season 3 isn't so bad after all.

Now I will continue to season 4 next time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

Aye.

As for worst finale, I have a feeling that S6's finale may piss me off more :P

Put it this way: in terms of what could have been, it would have been a pretty good finale. In terms of what we got, well, let's just say that Striker's anger would be enough to power the entire Eastern Seaboard for about a year.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, WaterPulse said:

Put it this way: in terms of what could have been, it would have been a pretty good finale. In terms of what we got, well, let's just say that Striker's anger would be enough to power the entire Eastern Seaboard for about a year.

Rofl