Headcanon: Pipsqueak's going to grow up to be at least Big Mac-sized -- ironic name will be ironic.

• Like 2

@Nuke87654 

First of all, thank you for the mention in your review, I wasn't aware that I'd said anything useful. 

I remembered in "Bridal Gossip" all the way back in Season One,

that Apple Bloom befriended Zecora & was helping her make the antidote for the Poison Joke

which is why I think Apple Bloom became interested in potion making in the first place.

Also, I honestly think my "pacing" issue with Twilight Time was due to the fact that I wasn't interested in the story &

not because of the actual pacing of the episode itself.

• Like 1

Today, I'm going to review the eighty first episode in the Friendship is Magic series and it's fourth season's sixteenth episode, It ain't easy being Breezies. It is written by Natasha Levinger and it's storyboard artists are Sherann Johnson and Dave Wiebe. 

This episode would be featured as part of the April Fools joke from Meghan McCarthy which she joked that it would be part of a two parter where it would guest star Justin Beiber named 'It ain't easy being Cheesy.' The second part would be where Justin Bieber comes to sing to the Breezies. The Breezies themselves were part of the G3 mlp brand that has been reused and reimagined in the G4 brand.

Ponyville led by Fluttershy are trying to help a group of rare fairy creatures called the Breezies on their journey home but an obstacle stops a group and there Fluttershy tries to find a way to help them recuperate before it is too late.

Positives:

1. I really liked the humor used in this episode. There were plenty of jokes in this episode I particularly enjoyed here. The first one of note is when in a reverse done from the Sonic Rainboom's famed louder joke, Fluttershy this time is leading her friends to yell as quietly as they possible could.

latest?cb=20140303170041

You call that being quiet, quieter.

The next one is when Rarity wore those bright dresses as she used tons of sequins for her outfit and had to be told by Fluttershy to remove it for the breezies sake.

latest?cb=20140303112454

My Eyes!

The next one I enjoyed was Fluttershy's bee costume where she tries to seduce the bees to leave a Breezie alone.

latest?cb=20140304000512

Trying to show the bees that she's the queen or so. Too bad they weren't biting.

Finally, Rainbow Dash at the end was impressed by Twilight's transformation spell so much she asked her if she can turn her into a dragon or griffon for her delight.

latest?cb=20140304013029

This can open up to some great episode ideas between the two or even to her friends. I'd like to see their alternate versions in different species.

These moments in the episode were funny to me and had a lasting impact for my tastes. I'm certain others will too. 

2. This episode would tie itself to the Rainbow Power arc, helping to built it up for Fluttershy's sake, and especially of how Fluttershy learns to add another layer to her kindness which is tough love. In this episode, it would be Fluttershy's turn to learn the varying shades of kindness exist around, even ones that would demand you be stern with those you care in order to better them. In this episode, due to her need to being kind to the Breezies, she would try to nurture and pamper them to prepare them for the trip, but due to how they were so pampered and a bit of PIS, they refused to go.

latest?cb=20140303214927

Which they would even fake sick in order to stay.

After rescuing Sea Breeze from the bees and the environment when he tried to leave, Fluttershy and Sea Breeze had a chat where they both would come to terms and realize that they both had acted wrong towards their Breezies in that Fluttershy was pampering them too much when they needed to go and that Sea Breeze was too harsh on them. This would cause them to leave as Fluttershy ordered them sternly to leave despite how distraught she was yelling at them. 

latest?cb=20140304002545

Sometimes when you need to get them to do something that benefits them but they refuse, a bit of tough love helps. 

This would help Fluttershy to achieve her Rainbow key after she and her friends successfully brought the breezies back home and would receive a memento from Sea Breeze for her efforts. The episode deserves credit here for developing Fluttershy here where she learns a good point about her kindness and how sometimes, she needs to stand firm and even tell them they must do this even if they don't want to.

3. The Breezies grotto and mane 6 breezie versions looked nice.  latest?cb=20140304012003

Nice place.

latest?cb=20140303120829

(I hope they can fix the cropping issues), here's a cute pic of the mane 6 as breezies sans Fluttershy who was out of shot.

4. Sea Breeze was very good in this episode. By far the best Breezie, and really the only one with a character of the bunch, Sea Breeze was perhaps the best one of the episode. It impresses me that despite his very fragile body and delicate size, his attitude and determination are more deserving of a better body as he not only was a fire mouth who is upset at his fellow breezies refusing to return home as quickly as he wanted to, but he would chastise Fluttershy for not pushing them to go as he wanted to. At one point, he would even choose to leave on his own as he is desperate to return home as quickly as possible.

latest?cb=20140303113150

Despite Sea Breeze's delicate body, his attitude and determination are more deserving of a stronger one. 

At the same time, he would also learn that a big reason why the Breezies refuse to listen to him much to his frustration is that he was being too harsh on them so they're far less likely to obey him, especially when the going gets tough. While he would teach Fluttershy the importance of tough love in a measure, Fluttershy in turn would teach him that it's important to approach your subordinates with a measure of gentleness too as you would to be approachable by them so he even undergoes his own character development here. On that note, upon their successful return to the Breezie Grotto, we see a rather heartwarming scene where we see why he wanted to return so badly.

latest?cb=20140304012006

Awe

This ending solidifies my opinion for Sea Breeze to be one of the best if not the most underrated one shot characters in the series due to his good characterization and of how he undergoes character development in his own episode to become a more effective leader for his fellow breezies.

Negatives:

1. The Breezies Fragility drove me up a wall in the episode. This one annoyed me so much about their design was that they were so fragile that a blown leaf was enough to knock a whole group of them off course and cause them to be winded enough to take at least couple of hours or so to recuperate. 

latest?cb=20140303113811

Yes, this single leaf is enough to screw a portion of that group. 

This annoyed me because this shows that a single leaf is enough to screw them over. Meaning unless conditions were in the absolute perfect state for their flight, they're going to lose tons of members from mundane things such as fallen leaves, let alone bad weather that would screw them over so badly. To compound this issue, they are very dependent upon ponies to ensure their flight is maintained to these perfect conditions or so. I can only imagine how bad it must have been for these creatures before ponies came as they are so fragile that it's not even funny for me. I feel if they were a bit tougher like maybe show them at least being able to handle things like leaves well and not get blown over by one, at least show a particularly strong wind or even a storm forcing them to land for refuge, I could at least understand this point better.

2. The Breezies san Sea Breeze were struck with major Plot induced Stupidity. This would be the worst problem that would compound another in this episode for me. Due to Fluttershy's kindness and Sea Breeze's insults at them, they would rather not go back home and instead choose to stay with Fluttershy. This was a major issue for me for these two points:

A. They would rather not return home to their families but stay with a kind stranger in a world that is hostile and alien to them. This was a big problem for me considering we see these breezies definitely have families, it's asinine that all but Sea Breeze wanted to stay with Fluttershy and leave their beloveds and others they cherish deathly worried about them once the portal closes or so.

latest?cb=20140304012005

Yep, the breezies that returned wanted to stay in Equestria and not return to meet their families and friends back at home all cause one pony decided to pamper them. 

B. This did nothing but padded time away in the episode. This was one major problem the episode had for me was how it would artificially add time to the episode's story by having the Breezies do whatever to refuse to leave until they had to for the time's sake. There was little reason for it other than to pad time away. 

The Breezies behavior outside of Sea Breeze was nothing but Plot induced Stupidity for me and I didn't like them for it.

3. The cottage scene was dragged longer than it should've lasted. While the cottage scene would help to tell us of what would be the problem in the episode, but there was little else done to really add interest in it beyond that. As a result, you will repeatedly see Fluttershy pampering the Breezies, Sea Breeze getting pissed that his gang isn't leaving to return home, and Fluttershy not wanting to force them out despite how she knows how vital it is they return home and her friends coming to ask if she is ready to push them out till Sea Breeze finally decides to leave to force any other action to occur.

latest?cb=20140303220538

Looks like he got sick of staying around there too.

Conclusion: It ain't easy being Breezies is for me an episode that does decently but not great for what it wanted to do. With it's good humor, some nice scenes of the Breezie Grotto, Fluttershy's development learning to be kind, and especially with how good Sea Breeze is, it does hold some good things to enjoy in this episode for fans. However, it would get mitigated by the Breezies' unreasonable fragility and their major plot induced stupidity they would be struck with, and how the cottage scene was dragged out too long for my tastes. This episode isn't bad, but I wouldn't call it really good either as it falls below average for me.

Score: 7.0/10

Grade: D+ 

• Like 3

I actually liked the breezie's fragility. If the cartoon was trying, they could've made a decent point about the fragility of the environment (as opposite to the usual we get from cartoons in general that just ruin the message with a bad moral). I think it made a good point about how the ponies are connected to their world in a similar way to Winter Wrap Up.

Agree with all the rest, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Metemponychosis said:

I actually liked the breezie's fragility. If the cartoon was trying, they could've made a decent point about the fragility of the environment (as opposite to the usual we get from cartoons in general that just ruin the message with a bad moral). I think it made a good point about how the ponies are connected to their world in a similar way to Winter Wrap Up.

Agree with all the rest, though.

Aye, I've discussed this point with others about it. I agree that if they tied it to an environmentalist message it can work, and especially better than Bats! attempt, but what decided it for me was that I felt they were too fragile for my liking as I can't imagine these creatures surviving all those years before ponies came to assist them on their own. A single leaf is enough to screw their group over. Had they toned the fragility to wear it takes a downpour or so to force them to seek shelter, I'd approve of it as it would at least show that they can't handle the world and why that Grotto is so important for them without looking so silly for it.

Still, this is perhaps the weakest negative point I have and one that I could be swayed with more convinced on it.

• Like 2

Today, I'm going to review the Friendship is Magic's eighty second episode and it's fourth season's seventeenth episode, Somepony to Watch over me. It is written by Scott Sonneborn and it's storyboard artists are Nicole Wang and Steve Sanderson.

N/A

Applebloom is annoyed by Applejack constantly watching her for her safety and thus decides to take a cart of Apple Pies to a dangerous remote part of Equestria to prove she is ready to be by herself.

Positives:

1. Applebloom had one of her best characterizations in the series here. Applebloom is quite perhaps the least interesting cutie mark crusader of the three. The reasoning for this statement is due to how out of the all three, she gets the least interesting development of three in that she seems more tied to the quest to find cutie marks than the other three where they focus more on developing their relationship with their sisters typically. Due to how stable their relationship is in comparison to the other two, this really doesn't open up much opportunities between them from what it seems. This episode decides to however tackle the one notable issue between the two is that Applebloom wants to be able to handle things at the house on her own as for her this is a sign of her growing up and being more mature or so.

latest?cb=20140409234111

Which she takes the opportunity to remind her friends of that at the intro, then she celebrates the chance they're giving her to prove herself ready.

This would lead to an interesting shade to AJ and AB's relationship where it seems that Applebloom is seeking to be less dependent upon Applejack and be able to handle things on her own. For whatever reason why, AJ would be worried sick of Applebloom and decide to take care of her instead.

latest?cb=20140310120746 

Much to Applebloom's chagrin.

After spending some time under Applejack's protective umbrella, this would cause Applebloom to be fed up with it and seek to prove she's ready to be on her own. Thus she decides to take on a dangerous mission on her own.

latest?cb=20140310150714

Delivering a pie cart through a declared dangerous part of Equestria on her own.

At the trek, being in way over her head, she would encounter dangerous hazards and even a hungry monster that hungers to eat her in a chimera. Despite her life being placed in danger, she refuses to leave the pie cart to these monsters who wish to steal it's contents too. Still she was about to be killed by the Chimera if not for AJ coming to her rescue in time to beat the Chimera and save her sister. 

latest?cb=20140310170428

To stop AJ from chewing her out, she does show that despite being harrassed by a hungry beast, she did managed to ensure the pie cart was fine and it's contents undamaged, impressing AJ very much. This would lead to the sisters to successfully bring the pie cart to the paying family and for AJ to admit that Applebloom is ready to handle things on her own. 

latest?cb=20140310163340

Awe

This to me proves that a key thing that's really missing from Applebloom is a dynamic between herself and Applejack to explore. Here this episode provides one that is touched upon and in Applebloom's side of the story, I thought it was pretty effective and gave her one of her more interesting stories in the show since her first one in S1 with Call of the Cutie. I do wish we see more Applebloom and AJ type of episodes like this as AJ's motherly nature and Applebloom's need to be independent can play well in later episodes.

2.  Applejack coming to terms with Applebloom's growth at the end is a good note of character development for her too. While I will tell why I wasn't exactly a fan of AJ's characterization in this episode, but here I will give credit to what the episode wanted to show which was Applejack learning to accept that Applebloom is getting older and more capable to handle things on her own. This was a nice spot for Applejack to have here in this episode as this further enhances the intention for this episode which was the two to come to amicable terms on Applebloom getting older in the series in this case. 

latest?cb=20140310170840

Also you get to see AJ battling a chimera in this episode. One of her badass moments.

3. Bayou ponies are funny. A minor thing I want to make mention of, but I did felt they had one of the better jokes in the episode when one of them remarks of how the apple pie tastes better than their grannies casserole much to her chagrin, which he remarks 'Oh, now, mama, don't be like dat', in a lousiana deep south accent. 

latest?cb=20140310163335

Good swamp location settings too.

4. The set up for the chimera and the dark swamp is one of the show's better moments of grimdark aesthetics. This I will give great credit to is of how they set this whole Chimera showdown up. First, they mentioned of how Big Mac and Applejack have to travel through dangerous parts in Equestria to reach their destination, how Applebloom hearing this would use it to prove she's able to be by herself, how Applejack terrified that Applebloom left without the necessary preparations or so like a flute, chair, and ricotta cheese suggests that there is something terrifying in those parts, the dark swamp setup, and even seeing the Chimera the first time was a delight to see. 

latest?cb=20140310155013

I may have issues with chimera, but man was it's setup wonderful. 

This is one of the show's better use of grimdark aesthetics to create a dangerous and hostile environment in Equestria along with an intimidating monster to be truly frightened of...until.

Negatives:

1. The Chimera's shifting tones between dangerous and funny messes the creature up. However, this would also be part of the major issues with the episode is of how the Chimera would switch between being a dangerous and intimidating creature to be scared of, to something more funny or so for how they like to argue between each other to yell out to the audience of how they're arguing sisters too. 

latest?cb=20140310155836

I mean they even telegraph to Applebloom of when they will attack her.

To hurt them even more, this likely isn't the first time AJ has encountered them as she had a checklist of items to bring to deal with them. This suggests that AJ normally doesn't consider them much of a threat as she hasn't taken the initiative to finish them off or send someone to do so, which only hurts their credibility as a scary monster.

latest?cb=20140310165009

They got to feel bad for themselves that this pony  probably laughs at them every time she sees them trying to be scary or so, until they threatened her sister's life. 

2. Scootaloo was struck with major Plot Induced Stupidity when she for no reason at all decides to blurt out to AJ for what Applebloom was doing. This to me was one of Scootaloo's most unexplicably idiotic moments in the show for when she was supposed to keep on a disguise for AB while she was out on her own without Applejack realizing it. When Applejack was so impressed by Applebloom (actually Sweetie Belle disguised) that she was even willing to let her stay on her own, which Scootaloo then yells out and tells of how happy Applebloom will be when she gets back. This of course sets all the alarm bells off from Applejack as she demands them of where did Applebloom went and cause her to frantically hurry to find her before it was too late. 

latest?cb=20140310155521

Btw, a headcanon crusher was revealed here too. The bow and hats the two apples have has tons of backups so it doesn't hold sentimental value to them or something.

3. The shifting tones in this episode really had me confused for what type of story and reason it wanted me to see AJ's actions are for. This for me was the biggest problem in the episode was the confusing shifts in tone in the episode had me wondering for what it wanted me to view Applejack's reasoning to be so scared for was. 

Now, the reason why I complain about tone here is that according to the great movie review critic, Mr. Plinkett, tone is important in a story as it tells an audience of how to feel for the story and get a measure for what it is going to be about. As he mentioned in his Revenge of the Sith review, not having a good firm grip on what the media's tone is can leave you with alot of conflicting views on how to see this particular scene or episode and can sour your enjoyment of the episode as you're not sure how to feel for it.

In Somepony to Watch over me, this problem rears it's head for how Applejack was characterized. She had grown so worried of Applebloom being by herself that she was willing to ditch her job to tend to a paying customer just to be with her sister.

latest?cb=20140310125646

Which would involve literally slapping safety stuff on Applebloom.

Now her being so worried about Applebloom, and dealing with a dangerous creature that was in a dangerous route would say that this episode indicated a serious reasoning for Applejack being so concerned for Applebloom and her growing up ala her being reminded of the passage of time and being reminded of their supposedly dead parents. Or due to the amount of over the top silly stuff AJ placed on Applebloom, how she caused more problems for Applebloom for her unbearable behavior, and how neutered the monster turned out would also indicate that perhaps the episode's intention was to show how utterly silly Applejack was for being an overbearing sister and that it was causing more problems than she saved.

Both of these angles have legit reasoning for being what the story's intention is and due to how the tones shifts between these two from being serious and dark to lighthearted and silly has me confused for what the story's intentions were. 

Conclusion: Somepony to watch over me is an episode that holds some very good things for Applebloom in being her most interesting story since S1 and holds a good character development for Applejack to as they bond better as sisters. Bayou ponies were in for a short time but effective. And the Chimera's setup was fantastic and one of the better uses of the darker aesthetics in the show. However, due to the confusing tone problems between the Chimera and Applejack's characterization in the episode and of how Scootaloo was struck with Plot induced stupidity, this does hurt what would've been a very good episode between Applejack and Applebloom.

Score: 7.5/10

Grade: C 

• Like 2

Okay...

On 4/26/2017 at 6:30 PM, Nuke87654 said:

Today, I’m going to review the seventy fifth episode in the Friendship is Magic series and its fourth season’s tenth episode, Rainbow Falls. It is written by Corey Powell and its storyboard artists are Sherann Johnson and Dave Wiebe.

This episode sucked for all the reasons you said. It's horribly contrived. It forces the conflict. It makes the Mane six out to be one-note idiots, and it villainizes the Wonderbolts for no good reason at fucking all! No one has ever been able to give me a good reason for them being made out to be assholes.

On 4/26/2017 at 7:34 PM, Nuke87654 said:

Today, I’m going to review the seventy sixth episode in the Friendship is Magic series and its fourth season’s eleventh episode, Three’s a Crowd. It is written by Meghan McCarthy and Ed Valentine with its storyboard artists being Mike Myhre and Mike West.

I... was not a fan of this episode. But it's because of the third wheel being Discord. If it was anyone else, I'd enjoy it a lot more. I did like Cadance getting at least something of a spotlight, there.

On 4/26/2017 at 8:09 PM, Nuke87654 said:

Today, I’m going to review the seventy seventh episode in the Friendship is Magic series and its fourth season’s twelfth episode, Pinkie Pride. The story was created by Jayson Thiessen for which Amy Keating Rogers wrote the story out, and the storyboard artists for the episode are Scott Underwood and Nicole Wang, and finally Emmett Hall for the opening song sequence of Pinkie Pride.

I fucking love this episode. One of my favorites of the series. I mean...

20170307_152758_zpsmfpitktp.jpg

And yes, that is an actual Weird Al Yankovic action figure. :D

On 4/26/2017 at 8:19 PM, Nuke87654 said:

Today, I’m going to review the seventy eighth episode in the Friendship is Magic series and it’s 4th season’s thirteenth episode, Simple Ways. It is written by Josh Haber and is storyboarded by Corey Toomey and John Young.

Overall, I didn't mind Applejack being a better belle than Rarity being a... farmer or whatever the hell she was going for. I mean, she's had training from the Orange's, after all. ;) Trenderhoof... eh? I've seen worse.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:13 AM, Nuke87654 said:

Today, I'm going to review the eightieth episode in the Friendship is Magic series, and it's fourth season's fifteenth episode, Twilight Time. It is written by Dave Polsky and it's storyboard artists are Sabrina Alberghetti and Johnny Castuciano. 

Yeah, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were pretty devious, here. I liked the CMC being taught by Twilight, too. Good character growth for them.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2017 at 9:08 AM, Nuke87654 said:

4. Sea Breeze was very good in this episode. By far the best Breezie, and really the only one with a character of the bunch, Sea Breeze was perhaps the best one of the episode. It impresses me that despite his very fragile body and delicate size, his attitude and determination are more deserving of a better body as he not only was a fire mouth who is upset at his fellow breezies refusing to return home as quickly as he wanted to, but he would chastise Fluttershy for not pushing them to go as he wanted to. At one point, he would even choose to leave on his own as he is desperate to return home as quickly as possible.

I like to imagine his breezie speak was laced with F-bombs. :D

On 4/30/2017 at 9:08 AM, Nuke87654 said:

2. The Breezies san Sea Breeze were struck with major Plot induced Stupidity. This would be the worst problem that would compound another in this episode for me. Due to Fluttershy's kindness and Sea Breeze's insults at them, they would rather not go back home and instead choose to stay with Fluttershy. This was a major issue for me for these two points:

Yeah. This group were lazy little shits. I'm with Sea Breeze on the yelling at them.

On 5/2/2017 at 11:00 AM, Nuke87654 said:

1. The Chimera's shifting tones between dangerous and funny messes the creature up. However, this would also be part of the major issues with the episode is of how the Chimera would switch between being a dangerous and intimidating creature to be scared of, to something more funny or so for how the like to argue between each other to yell out to the audience of how they're arguing sisters too. 

Yeah. It really lessened the impact for the thing that one minute you're supposed to chuckle, the next be scared.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Okay...

This episode sucked for all the reasons you said. It's horribly contrived. It forces the conflict. It makes the Mane six out to be one-note idiots, and it villainizes the Wonderbolts for no good reason at fucking all! No one has ever been able to give me a good reason for them being made out to be assholes.

I... was not a fan of this episode. But it's because of the third wheel being Discord. If it was anyone else, I'd enjoy it a lot more. I did like Cadance getting at least something of a spotlight, there.

I fucking love this episode. One of my favorites of the series. I mean...

20170307_152758_zpsmfpitktp.jpg

And yes, that is an actual Weird Al Yankovic action figure. :D

Overall, I didn't mind Applejack being a better belle than Rarity being a... farmer or whatever the hell she was going for. I mean, she's had training from the Orange's, after all. ;) Trenderhoof... eh? I've seen worse.

Yeah, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were pretty devious, here. I liked the CMC being taught by Twilight, too. Good character growth for them.

Mhm, Rainbow Falls remains one of the worst episodes in the series for me if arguably the worst one.

Aye, he was funny but I felt he took away more time that could've been spent more for Cadance. 

Mine too, one could argue this being Pinkie's best one in the series. Nice weird al figure. Love how you have tons of those around.

I don't either and it makes sense AJ would do the belle better considering she has the oranges that I'm sure she has picked up on their mannerisms and uses it when it suits her too. Trenderhoof is still a hipster. 

Mhm, that's what I liked about them as they actually had a plan that worked well. It was also good to see the CMC's have these developments in the episode too.

Ty very much.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

I like to imagine his breezie speak was laced with F-bombs. :D

Yeah. This group were lazy little shits. I'm with Sea Breeze on the yelling at them.

Yeah. It really lessened the impact for the thing that one minute you're supposed to chuckle, the next be scared.

Me 2.

And selfish ones to boot considering they only considered themselves and not the families they're affecting and their sole dissenter who had a wife and baby to go to.

Mhm.

Today, I'm going to review Friendship is Magic's eighty third episode and it's fourth season's eighteenth episode, Maud Pie. It is written by Noelle Benvenuti and it's storyboard artists are Mike Mhyre and Mike West.

This episode was part of the April fools jokes Meghan McCarthy had in 2013 where she named the episode 'Maude [sic] Pie' and it would be part of a mini arc where Pinkie Pie becomes the princess of pie. The plot of the episode was first teased at the 2013 comic con. Due to Itunes listing it as episode nineteen of season 4, it was asked to Jim Miller if it was it's correct number which he replied 'yes'.

Pinkie Pie's older sister, Maud Pie comes to visit Ponyville for her sister, meanwhile her friends struggle trying to connect with Maud Pie.

Positives:

1. Maud Pie's introduction into the series goes off well with her characterization and dry humor used in the episode and proves fruitful in the long term for Pinkie Pie's own development. The namesake of this episode, the pony Maud Pie is a very interesting pony for how completely the polar opposite she seems to Pinkie Pie in that while Pinkie is a huge expressive extrovert that tends to do things at a whim to be able to do something, Maud on the other hand is not only a much bigger introvert, prefers not to speak much to others, speaks in a monotone voice, and is a huge nerd for rocks to where she's earning a phd during this episode on it.

latest?cb=20140317110302

One major thing to note on Maud Pie is that a major thing about her is her dry expressions, which she'll use alot of dry humor that can be a big hit or miss with folks due to how monotone her expressions despite the reaction from others about it.

latest?cb=20140317133539

Which Rainbow Dash here would have plenty of humor moments due to how Maud is. 

This would get played on and improved upon in later episodes as the writers find better dry humor jokes for her to employ. Meanwhile in this episode, it does play a certain segment of the show that I really enjoyed seeing that I will explain below.

As for how it impacts Pinkie Pie, the fact she has a sister where she really goes nuts for and has done many things for her in this episode like making rock candies for her, how Maud had taught her how to make them, and of note is of how Maud values to where she keeps all the past rock candies uneaten as she wishes to keep each of them in memory of each moment she spent with her sister Pinkie Pie despite how she herself doesn't like candy.

latest?cb=20140317194724

Seeing her smiling of how she loves Pinkie Pie is like her writing an open letter of affection to her. 

And considering how Maud would help Pinkie Pie's development out by providing a sister that she would love dearly, this was a good positive development for Pinkie Pie in this episode too and especially one from her rather distant pie family that we haven't seen much of.

Thus this episode should be remembered most for the decision to give us a new pie sister and one that Pinkie Pie dearly loves. Paired up with the dry humor she usually comes with, and Maud has become one of the show's more effective recurring characters. 

2. I really love the segment where the mane 6's interests are compared to how Maud Pie approaches them. One thing that Pinkie Pie remarked is that Maud Pie likes alot of the things that her friends do. This would be used in the episode where we had the segment where they were compared as such.

Rarity: As you know of rarity, she enjoys fashion and designing clothes of however she sees fit to her liking. Maud in comparison is much simpler in tastes as she would rather wear an outfit as it is rather than redesign it to a more appealing attire.

latest?cb=20140317133142

Fluttershy: Fluttershy loves animals and will talk about them. Maud loves Rocks and will talk about them. 

latest?cb=20140317141824

Rainbow Dash: Despite both being very fit ponies, Maud isn't keen on celebrating her wins and enjoying the glory of it unlike Rainbow Dash.

latest?cb=20140317153852

Twilight Sparkle: While Twilight likes to read books and poetries, Maud would rather write her own.

latest?cb=20140317141342

Applejack: AJ has a bit of tidiness to her work unlike Maud Pie. 

latest?cb=20140317154639

All of those points would highlight of how rather alien and incompatible Maud is with them despite how they shared interests due to how they enjoy the same subject matter.

3. I enjoyed the Dry humor in the episode. While the jokes here in the episode are a hit or miss due to how one likes dry humor, but I will say that if you do like dry humor, you can find plenty from the montone expressed Maud Pie and how the gang reacts around her from Pinkie being over the top excited to her flatter sister, to the remane five being unsure and uncomfortable around her due to how different she is from them.

latest?cb=20140317184649

Which only makes this scene all the more hilarious and endearing of Maud for how far she goes to save Pinkie Pie.

Negatives:

1. If you're not a fan of dry humor, you will consider this episode very boring. Now this is an episode that pretty much demands you to like dry humor as otherwise you won't enjoy much from this episode as we see the remane five awkwardly try to bond with Maud Pie.

latest?cb=20140317133416

Here's a giant rock hat Rarity made for Maud if you're interested.

2. The episode missed out on a better lesson to learn. One problem I've seen was that the episode's choice in lesson was that 'there's always a point to bond with folks' with how they eventually found that Maud Pie and the remane five love Pinkie Pie. The problem with that is that while it does create a point for them to be on terms with, there's little else for the group to interact together as Maud's interests are very small (rocks and study of rocks) and the remane five's own interests aren't compatible with her. 

latest?cb=20140317193712

Yes, we're friends now just cause we both like Pinkie Pie, even though we don't have much interests in common.

To make this point even more striking, they missed out on a lesson they even  were teasing a bit to use that was even better, which was 'not everyone can be your friend to be on amicable terms with'. This was a similar lesson that the S2 episode 'A Friend in Deed', itself was also dealing with but chose to avoid making it. Here they ended up doing the same despite how it would've resonated with the narrative of the episode better as none of the remane five could bond with Pinkie Pie's sister. For me, if they had come to terms that while they cannot be friends with her as they held little interests in common with each other, that doesn't mean they can't be on agreeable terms with each other and be well in each other's company at least, this would resonate a better lesson with the audience that you dont' have to make everyone your friends to be on fair terms with. 

Conclusion: Maud Pie is an effective episode that provides one of the show's more popular recurring characters in Maud Pie, a good point of development for Pinkie Pie in having an older sister to bond with, and dry humor that is hit or miss but is effective in it despite how the lesson itself wasn't effective for the narrative shown and it missed out on a better one to offer instead. 

Score: 8.5/10

Grade: B

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

To make this point even more striking, they missed out on a lesson they even  were teasing a bit to use that was even better, which was 'not everyone can be your friend to be on amicable terms with'. This was a similar lesson that the S2 episode 'A Friend in Deed', itself was also dealing with but chose to avoid making it. Here they ended up doing the same despite how it would've resonated with the narrative of the episode better as none of the remane five could bond with Pinkie Pie's sister. For me, if they had come to terms that while they cannot be friends with her as they held little interests in common with each other, that doesn't mean they can't be on agreeable terms with each other and be well in each other's company at least, this would resonate a better lesson with the audience that you dont' have to make everyone your friends to be on fair terms with. 

Yeah. That was the biggest missed opportunity for me, too. And it's something I think the show needs to address. You don't have to be enemies, but some people really are too different to be friends. And that's not a bad thing, either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

1. If you're not a fan of dry humor, you will consider this episode very boring. Now this is an episode that pretty much demands you to like dry humor as otherwise you won't enjoy much from this episode as we see the remane five awkwardly try to bond with Maud Pie.

Maude Pie is the single, solitary, most boring thing in this cartoon for me. In my opinion, she just can't hold an episode on her own. Another thing that bothers me is the whole "misunderstood" thing.

I cannot forget that scene where she's talking to Rarity about fashion and she says that her dress isn't saying anything because it's a dress. Ugh... She came out more as a jerk than anything.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 4:03 PM, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Yeah. That was the biggest missed opportunity for me, too. And it's something I think the show needs to address. You don't have to be enemies, but some people really are too different to be friends. And that's not a bad thing, either.

I agree, it's a lesson that needs to be told as folks have to understand that folks can be too different to work, but you don't have to be enemies and even be on good terms as you said.

On 5/4/2017 at 6:41 PM, Metemponychosis said:

Maude Pie is the single, solitary, most boring thing in this cartoon for me. In my opinion, she just can't hold an episode on her own. Another thing that bothers me is the whole "misunderstood" thing.

I cannot forget that scene where she's talking to Rarity about fashion and she says that her dress isn't saying anything because it's a dress. Ugh... She came out more as a jerk than anything.

I hear ya and I would agree as Maud is too dry to carry an episode on her own. She works great in short bursts or is carried by someone else like Pinkie Pie and Starlight Glimmer last episode, but I'd imagine the episode that has to rely on her to carry the episode won't do too well.

On 5/4/2017 at 8:12 PM, Anti-Villain said:

Maud Pie: the Horatio Caine of Equestria.

Yeah!

Today, I'm going to review the eighty fourth episode in the Friendship is Magic series and it's fourth season's ninteenth episode, For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils (\m/) It is written by Dave Polsky and the storyboard artists are Cory Toomey for the dream sequences and John Young.

Remarking on the pun of the title, Meghan McCarthy used this episode as part of her 2013 April Fools jokes where she called this episode 'For Whom the Sweetie Belle[sic] Tolls[sic]. This episode was listed as episode 20 according to the Zap2it list.

Sweetie Belle gets frustrated at Rarity for upstaging her in her stage play with her wonderful dresses meant to help her sister out so she decides to sabotage a head dress important for Rarity's client in revenge. 

Positives:

1. The episode's narrative makes great use of the story A Christmas Carol uses to weave a great story for Sweetie Belle. In For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils, it is Sweetie Belle's turn to learn to be a better younger sister for Rarity. Due to Sweetie Belle's frustration that Rarity's dresses upstaged her play, she gets furious at this and remembers a bad memory of how a similar event happened at her fifth birthday party where Rarity seemingly stole the attention from her for herself.

latest?cb=20140324143917

It's Sisterhooves Social all over again. 

In a fit of revenge, Sweetie Belle takes a single thread out of a key head dress for Sapphire Shores to humiliate her sister.

latest?cb=20140324154120

Just imagine if she had succeeded in her original plan here, this could be perhaps the show's most vicious moment ever.

Now of course, Sweetie Belle would sleep with a nightmare of Rarity upstaging another moment that she wanted to shine on her own. But the guardian of the night came to save her.

latest?cb=20140324164634

Still not a fan of hers.

Now Princess Luna would come to show Sweetie Belle the error of hers via a Christmas Carol style story where she visits Sweetie Belle's past event at the fifth birthday party show her the error in her judgement for Rarity that day, the near present where Rarity is clearly stressed out and worried about how the dresses she made for Sapphire Shores would fail and ultimately decides to just calm herself down and sleep well for the night, and finally the future where Rarity's career is ruined because of that.

latest?cb=20140324181536

This is one of the shows most grim dark moments here considering that this is a destitute Rarity living in despair for how her life is ruined and dreams crushed. 

After seeing all of them, Sweetie Belle soon regrets what she had done and would go on a furious attempt to correct her mistake and save her sister from her demise as Sapphire Shore's hand similar to how Scrooge would change his ways for the better.

Much like how Rarity learns in Sisterhooves Social to be a better older sister to Sweetie Belle, Sweetie Belle in turn learns to be a better younger sister to Rarity as she realizes that her sister has her best interests out for her and cares deeply for Sweetie Belle, and that her stage play itself likely would've failed without the dresses to wow the audience. 

latest?cb=20140325000657

Awe.

This also shows of how good of a story narrative A Christmas Carol has as this For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils can be considered the show's actual first use of it and it altered it enough to give this episode it's own identity and made a fantastic episode for Sweetie Belle and many others involved.

2. Rarity was fantastic in her supporting role in this episode. Of note, For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils has one of Rarity's strongest supporting roles in the series. Showing the growth she had incurred from Sisterhooves Social, Rarity shows herself to be an excellent older sister to Sweetie Belle where she makes the dresses to the best of her ability despite how she was putting off her time to make the career important dresses for her client Sapphire Shores. She was willing to risk her career in order to make her sister Sweetie Belle happy here.

latest?cb=20140324111448

Those are some of the finest dresses Rarity has made in the show too.

Then we see in the dream sequences that what Sweetie Belle saw was not what had happened. Apparently a couple of bully fillies had convinced the party goers to leave Sweetie Belle's party for it being boring and late and they had planned to humiliate Sweetie Belle for this. What Rarity did by showing the party favors that were supposed to be last was actually Rarity throwing a saving throw on her party and she succeeded it. Sweetie Belle even sees her sister actually gave credit of the party favors to Sweetie Belle in defense of her when they were pointing out how better Rarity was over Sweetie Belle.

latest?cb=20140324163547

Seeing her struggles and worry about the dress and how it gave us one of Rarity's most vulnerable moments on the show in the present, and a terrible bad future for her and how she will suffer for it, refusing to make dresses anymore cause her name has been trashed by an angry Sapphire Shores. 

This too was a great characterization of Rarity here as we see the impact of Sisterhooves Social leave a great impact upon her behavior towards Sweetie Belle despite how unruly she was being to her and of other actions she had done to help her sister out.

3. Princess Luna had a more interesting role in this CMC dream episode. In continuance of the great CMC dream arc they have going on, Princess Luna would provide support for Sweetie Belle and to guide her down a better path between herself and Rarity for their sakes. What makes this role more interesting than her last one with Scootaloo was of how Luna would remark that she too understands Sweetie Belle's plight of being under her older sister's shadow showing that this was a bit personal for her. She would use it as motivation to save their sisterly relationship as she reveals to Sweetie Belle several truths for her past, how troubled Rarity is in the present, and of what Sweetie Belle's actions would cause to help her change her ways. 

After successfully doing so, she doesn't stop there, she goes to help Sweetie Belle out further by helping to fix and even improve the headdress by adding a single mark that Sapphire Shores loves to help Rarity carry greater favor for.

latest?cb=20140324234643

One could say this was perhaps Luna's best role in the series even considering how we see her helping two ponies out with their problems and even show off a bit of that past regret for her own actions against her sister and of how she went to perhaps gain a bit of that assurance that she has improved in her character too.

4. The Dream Sequences are fantastic. This again highlights why I enjoy the CMC dream arc so much as this is where I felt DHX went all out to squeeze as much creativity and aesthetics as possible in them. Not to mention this is especially where I feel the show pushes the limits of it's rating where it shows off some rather dark asthetics to highlight the trembling fear the characters are going through. In this case, they made a fantastic use of the three visions of the past, present, and future that A Christmas Carol made famous of to weave some great dream sequences, most notably in the bad future dream for how rather ominous and dark it was.

latest?cb=20140324171042

They even showed of Sweetie Belle being a marshmallow in it. 

This and the other two episodes along with S6's A Hearth's Warming tale highlight that we should have more dream episodes or so as I feel DHX goes all out in them to make them great. 

5. Sapphire Shores receives her own character development here too. Sapphire Shores, the singing sensation and perhaps the Beyounce of Equestria returns here and she receives some interesting characterization here too. She does not brook insults and incompetence very well, intended or no, and she will go out of her way to punish you via poisoning your name and ruining your brand.

latest?cb=20140324181329

She's not a pony you want to deal with too much as it's clear she is an extremely high maintenance pony.

On a brighter note for her characterization, she does show she treats those she likes and respects well and would be friendly with them for it as she was to Rarity. She's also suspicious where she would refuse to even wear something simply out cause some weird crap happened to which she would surmise it's a sign to not do this. Also, she really likes dolphins, enough that simply putting them on her or giving her something that has an image of a dolphin would have her receive you more warmly. 

latest?cb=20140325000654

They swim with her in dreams. Also they gave subtle hints of it being her favorite in those dream sequences too.

It's been a while since we've seen Sapphire Shores but I would not mind her return if we're able to develop more this episode provided the meat to the foundation of her character.

Negatives:

1.  Applebloom and Scootaloo needed better characterization in their attempt to save Rarity. The only real flaw I could think of in this episode was that I felt Applebloom and Scootaloo needed better characterization here in terms of that I felt they should've taken Sweetie Belle's plight more seriously instead of fangirling over Sapphire Shores. We had a couple of these moments such as on the train ride where the girls sans Sweetie Belle was more focused on what their favorite Sapphire Shores song and when Sweetie Belle was pleading to the guard to let them in, after he accused them of being unwanted fans, Applebloom and Scootaloo would admit they are fans of her which only justified his view to keep them out much to their friend Sweetie Belle's chagrin.

latest?cb=20140324205909

This episode would otherwise be perfect if they had treated the situation more seriously.

Conclusion: For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils is a fantastic part 2 of both the sister episodes between Rarity and Sweetie Belle and the CMC dream arc episode. With great and good characterizations in Sweetie Belle, Luna, Rarity, and Sapphire Shores inserted into a great imagining of A Christmas Carol story without the holiday elements paired with some great animation in the dream sequences, we have one of Season 4's best episodes yet.

Score: 9.5/10

Grade: A

• Like 3

A few things with this episode...

1. Luna was awesome.

2. Rarity was awesome.

3. The episode itself was awesome.

4. Sweetie Belle... kinda came off as a brat, here. Rarity busts her flank to get those dresses done when Sweetie Belle springs the request on her the night before and gets them delivered. It's not her fault they were so good.

5. Whenever I hear the title of this episode, I think of this:

:D

• Like 2

On 5/6/2017 at 9:28 AM, Nuke87654 said:

latest?cb=20140324164634

Still not a fan of hers.

latest?cb=20140324181536

latest?cb=20140324181329

• Like 2

@Nuke87654

"For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils" is one of my favorite episodes of MLP.

Things I LOVED about the episode:

•  Sweetie Belle's dream sequence was a parody of "A Christmas Carol".
  • It's a Sweetie Belle & Rarity episode.
  • Princess Luna

Things I thought were ok:

• I didn't think having Scootaloo or Applebloom in the episode was really needed.
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2017 at 4:21 PM, Metemponychosis said:

@Nuke87654Agreed with every single word. Also, I would be willing to give out a huge amount of money if it could buy an analogous episode for Celestia.

I'd love for that one to happen too.

16 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

A few things with this episode...

1. Luna was awesome.

2. Rarity was awesome.

3. The episode itself was awesome.

4. Sweetie Belle... kinda came off as a brat, here. Rarity busts her flank to get those dresses done when Sweetie Belle springs the request on her the night before and gets them delivered. It's not her fault they were so good.

5. Whenever I hear the title of this episode, I think of this:

:D

Indeed, this is an awesome episode and reference :D

12 hours ago, Anti-Villain said:

Am still not a fan of Luna :P

Rarity looked cute in that outfit.

11 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Nuke87654

"For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils" is one of my favorite episodes of MLP.

Things I LOVED about the episode:

•  Sweetie Belle's dream sequence was a parody of "A Christmas Carol".
  • It's a Sweetie Belle & Rarity episode.
  • Princess Luna

Things I thought were ok:

• I didn't think having Scootaloo or Applebloom in the episode was really needed.

Agreed there, though I'd say they were needed for the stage and to help Sweetie Belle out as without them, she wouldn't have been able to enter the building on her own.

• Like 1

Today, I'm going to review the eighty fifth episode in the Friendship is Magic series and it's fourth season's twentieth episode, Leap of Faith. It is written by Josh Haber and the storyboard artists for this episode are Johnny Castuciano, Sabrina Alberghetti, and Carrie Mombourquette for assistance. 

According to Zap2it, this is the twenty first episode in the 4th season of FIM. 

Applejack struggles with a dilemma where she knows the tonic Grannie Smith is taking is a fake but at the same time doesn't want to ruin her new found confidence she has for swimming.

Positives:

1. I did liked the narrative it had for Applejack's plight. I will say that I did enjoyed Applejack's plight in this episode. While she had found out that Grannie Smith's tonic was a lie to sell for profit, due to how happy Grannie Smith was from it, Applejack would be tested at whether to let this lie live and ensure Grannie Smith can be happy for it or tell the truth and possible ruin it for her.

latest?cb=20140331150720

Here's AJ stuck in a trance as she ponders over this conundrum.

In Leap of Faith, this would eventually boil over where the Flim Flam Brothers would use Applejack's own lie to boost their own profits and sales and encourage the folks of Ponyville to go and buy their tonic up. Seeing folks believing and her dishonesty being taken advantage of was unsettling for the normally honest Applejack. Finally, this would reach it's breaking point when she sees Grannie Smith about to take an extremely risky high dive as she herself was high off her confidence for her swimming abilities and stopped her for it.

latest?cb=20140331175539

I know this is a silly cartoon, but how did Grannie thought she could pull that off? I wonder if marijuana is part of the thing?

Finally, Applejack would realize that her dishonesty despite being done for Grannie Smith's happiness nearly got her injured. She would tell the whole place that she had lied and that the tonic was fake. This would be further supported by a pony who had worked for the Flim Flam brothers but is now convinced from AJ that dishonesty isn't good in Silver Shill. Thanks to them, the Flim Flam brothers would leave Ponyville with their tails between their legs again. During this, Applejack has expressed remorse for her lie and hopes to make amends for it.

latest?cb=20140331181931

Which they will.

Impressed by Applejack's willingness to admit she lied, Silver Shill provided her with a coin as a memento, which would be her Rainbow Key.

latest?cb=20140331181704

Good thing she respected that sentiment cause a coin like that would be more suitable to spend then for a memento.

While I have an issue in it that I will explain below, I enjoyed Applejack's plight and considering how close she is to her family, not wanting to harm their happiness is what I imagine would be one of the few things Applejack would struggle telling the truth about. Here she learns that it's better to let the know the truth right away so they can be safer then to live a lie and take unnecessary risks cause of it. 

2. Grannie Smith undergoes another character development and hits it off well with Applebloom for it. This episode would be notable for giving another spotlight of character development for Grannie Smith where back in her youth, she was noted and famed high diving pony who would take high dives off from a really tall diving board, but in one incident injured her hip which took a long while to heal but her fear for diving grew worse to where she is scared of swimming. 

latest?cb=20140331085137

This would change when hearing how the Tonic can make a pony younger again, Grannie wanted to try it out as a way to be able to have the ability to swim well once again.

latest?cb=20140331124702

Which when you consider the tonic is fake, turns out it was all in her head.

This concerns Big MacIntosh and especially Applejack as she's worried of Grannie being in over her head while Applebloom herself is encouraged by this as she had wanted to try out swimming and thanks to Grannie now encouraging her to go out for such endeavors, this would start these two bonding with each other in the episode, and eventually resulting in Applebloom and Grannie Smith pulling off an awesome synchronization swimming together and winning the competition.

latest?cb=20140331164413

Nice display by them.

Thanks to the huge supply of tonics she had bought and the success of her synchronization swimming, she would get too confident as she would attempt to do a high dive attempt with a smaller pool then the one she had done the last time. This would cause AJ to finally put a stop to it and tell her that the tonic itself did nothing to improve her performance as it was false. She had it in her all along. As a result, Grannie Smith would take it a bit easier while at the same time be able to enjoy swimming with others as she retained her confidence in swimming.

latest?cb=20140331175243

This is one of Grannie Smith's best spotlights in the series and with how she hit it off with her grand daughter Applebloom which in turn helped AB out, this is one of Grannie Smith's best characterizations in the show.

3. Despite how repetitive the Flim Flam's song and dance was, it's still catchy. While the song and dance is essentially the same thing as the one they had from the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000, still it's a catchy song that still can entertain a crowd with how the beats are for it. As for their characterizations, it seems they've expanded from being sleazy thieves to lying salesponies in this episode, but other than that their characterizations are about what you expect of them if you watch them in their debut episode. 

Negatives:

1. I really do not like Silver Shill in this episode. A rather annoying problem in the episode was the character Silver Shill. Out of all the ponies to learn a lesson from the mane 6 in this season to tie into their Rainbow Power arc, he was among the worst ones in the season. My reasoning for this is due to he was characterized as some cowardly pony who was more than happy to lie and mislead ponies for his own benefit with the only sign of remorse from him being of how he told her that he had questioned whether it was the right thing to do or not despite how he was more than happy to be going on with the lie, but AJ convinced him that honesty isn't always the best policy. 

latest?cb=20140331172335

Despite his claim, that nice piece of coin and promotion he got from the Flim Flam brothers seem to suggest he's not hurting too much from it.

Then when he would come and turn around on the Flim Flam brothers when the crowd and AJ turns against them and vouches the tonics are fake. As a result of him not showing any real sign of him not liking what he is doing other than stating a 'maybe' which isn't supported and how cowardly he appears, it feels more of a case of him switching sides for his sake rather then out of a realization of his wrong doing.

In comparison to Coco Pommel, we see Coco clearly was not comfortable doing and following Suri Polomare and especially how Suri has chewed her out and threatened to fire her if she doesn't obey her. You can definitely feel she's doing it out of necessity rather then cause she likes it. This is unlike Silver Shill where I felt he showed little regret on his part and was enjoying his actions for the promotion the Flim Flam brothers gave to him and his turn to the good side felt more it was forced for the sake of providing someone to learn the lesson on honesty and more cynically out of a need to avoid getting ostracized alongside the Flim Flam brothers as the crowd was turning against them. 

latest?cb=20140331181659

Not to mention his name isn't exactly inviting.

Conclusion: Leap of Faith is a nice simple episode on Applejack's honesty being tested for it's worth and her going through a good story to realize that it's better to be honest then to let a person harm themselves living a lie. The Flim Flam bros return with their song and dance was catchy even if it was repetitive. Grannie Smith's development and characterization between herself and Applebloom was endearing and one of her better moments in the show. However, Silver Shill and his character would annoy me very much in this episode that would knock it down.

Score: 8.5/10

Grade: B

• Like 2

On 5/9/2017 at 11:40 AM, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

This episode was 'there' for me. Not the weakest of the Key episodes, but that's by dint of Rainbow Falls existing.

Aye, I'll admit though that it did looked better considering one flaw I thought was there 'AJ being struck by PIS) turned out there wasn't all along.