1 minute ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

Uh...what Striker?

Gilda's attitude, speech patterns and slang used reminded me of Grunge rock, a form of rock that gained widespread popularity in the early 90's. Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Toad the Wet Sprocket were among the bands that played Grunge.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

Agreed.

When I was younger I used to feel jealous of my friends. Childishly, I felt left out whenever my friends were doing something without me. I think that this could've been a better story for Pinkie Pie than what got from the episode because of Gilda and Pinkie's behavior in the whole episode. People talk about Celestia, but Pinkie is another character I see the writers struggling with (well, they try, at least). What actually happens here is that the writers wanted the audience to think that Pinkie had set up the pranks at the party, but... What a twist! It was Rainbow.

I think that what they wanted to do is to show that Pinkie tried in her own unique way to approach Gilda, but when the gryphon felt frustrated, thinking that Pinkie was picking on her, she showed her true colors and lashed out at Rainbow unintentionally. This is that kind of story where if the characters behaved like actual people, they could've fixed the whole situation with a nice talk.

Yeah, I like this one too, but it's not one of the brightest. It is, however, very fun to watch.

I actually agree that if they went with that story of Pinkie feeling jealous of RD hanging out with Gilda and she tries to learn to cope with it and not be so ticked at Gilda (while Gilda herself doesn't come off as an asshole), that would've made a better episode.

It was a big mistake making that twist as I honestly believe and still that Pinkie set that party up to breakup RD and Gilda in revenge. Had they just made it so Pinkie set the pranks up, than I can at least buy that she wanted to bond with Gilda as it's very fishy that she essentially had RD do all the pranks and had Gilda get ensnared by all of them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

I swear, every time I heard Gilda speak, I thought Grunge Rock was coming back. Nirvana and Pearl Jam, your time has come again! Toad the Wet Sprocket, arise!

*Ahem* I agree Gilda's a pretty one-note bully, here. Unlike the next episode's antagonist, she doesn't have much else going for her besides being friends with Dash.

Helps it's the same English dub va as Revy from Black Lagoon which I like :)

As for next episode, I agree Trixie was more interesting in her introduction than Gilda was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuke87654 said:

Helps it's the same English dub va as Revy from Black Lagoon which I like :)

Quick! Someone find me a pic of Gilda dual-wielding a pair of Berettas!

Also... I want to to go to Griffonstone and find their Balalaika. Must be terrifying. :awesomecheer:

• Like 1

The sixth episode of season 1 and of the FIM series is Boast Busters. It is written by Chris Savino and it's storyboard artists are Kevin Schmidt and Alex Basio.

Originally, the character Trixie was actually supposed to be a boy unicorn until Chris Savino decided to change the character to the female Trixie. So if you ever wanted to know who Sethisto should thank for giving us Trixie, it will be Savino the writer himself. Notably, this is the first episode to not have the whole cast of the mane 6 have a speaking role as Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, both Andrea Libman characters, only appeared sporadically in the crowd. Due to Canada's Tree House TV's strict restrictions, the line where Trixie called Rainbow Dash a loser was edited out. This is also the last episode in the series to use the original fancier credit font it had. From Dragonshy and onwards, every FIM credits list has used a more bland credit font.

Plot can be summarized as that as a new showmare shows up in Ponyville, Twilight becomes concerned with herself as her friends dislike the new showmare for her boastful attitude.

Positives:

1. Trixie has become an endearing recurring character in the series. Like the last one with Gilda only leaving a bigger impact on the show is the Great and Powerful Trixie. This braggart 3rd person speaking unicorn showmare pony enticing personality, her turn for villainy later, finding new life as an EQG, and her glorious return as Starlight Glimmer's friend in S6. 

Now for here in this episode, Trixie did showed some things for folks to like about her in her fearlessness to confront RD, AJ, and Rarity when she got called out by them, humiliate them, and to punish them appropriately for their transgressions. Her stark contrast compared to the other more timid or nicer ponies is a nice change of pace and is a character I like. Especially, I' am happy to see her return as a justified villain in the S3 episode magic duel for these reasons below in the negatives section.

2. I liked the Ursa Minor and the feats Twilight pulled carrying the thing back to the cave with her magic. Probably my favorite scene in the whole episode was seeing Twilight handling the ursa minor using her telekinesis. Not only did she had good range in moving the beast back to it's cave in the outskirts of the everfree forest but also able to use several telekinetic moves in getting milk in moving a silo while holding the ursa minor with her own telekinesis still.  Also, the sight of a massive mythical creature in the Ursas is a minor build up of the world of Equestria that frankly I wish they do more of to develop this aspect.

Negatives:

1. Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Applejack were being total assholes towards Trixie despite what the narrative would have you believe. Now one major problem I had with the episode is the behavior of the tree mentioned ponies. Just because they didn't like how Trixie exaggerated or boasted doesn't mean it is bad as those two attributes are needed to be a  good showmare as she needs to entertain a crowd so having a good ego and not being afraid to exaggerate in order to attract the crowd's attention to be enthralled by her performance is a must for her. Not only are we told that those things needed to be a successful showmare is bad but they gloss over how the trio were heckling and trying to bully Trixie for her performance when she had done nothing to them. Honestly Trixie was probably the one that was treated most unfairly in being cast as a villain when Rarity, RD, and Applejack were far more antagonist worthy for their behavior towards her. There's a reason why I'm glad she punished those three on her return to Ponyville.

2. Twilight's subplot in fearing of being called a braggart was not only filled with plot induced stupidity, but it was really unnecessary to begin with. Twilight's subplot in trying to avoid being called a showoff and hated by her friends was stupid as hell. My reasoning for it is that it was actually all but said by RD and AJ that they would have no problems with Twilight if she went out to battle Trixie as Spike wanted her to do.

Spike: What we need is another unicorn to challenge her. Someone with some magic of her own.

Rainbow Dash: Yeah! A unicorn to show this unicorn who's boss.

Applejack: A real unicorn to unicorn tussle.

Twilight, they're all but begging you to go and fight her and yet you refuse to do it in fear of being called a showoff by them? Now if it had been because she saw no problem with Trixie's boastfulness, I actually would agree with her as Trixie is doing nothing wrong there, course her friends would probably be ticked at her for it. Either way, this subplot had no business of being written as it was practically dead on arrival and it was only used as a simple tool to give Twilight something to do in the episode.

3. Snips and Snails I loathe. Perhaps the biggest points of contention I have for this episode is the duo characters Snips and Snails. Not only do I feel they're offensive stereotypes, especially with Snails with the context of being slow witted, but how it was these two that caused the ursa minor mess to begin with. Because they were infuriated by Spike calling Trixie, their idol a fake they decided that hey let's prove she can do it by bringing an ursa major to Ponyville. They went and risked the lives of the populace of Ponyville all for the sake of proving to a naysayer that Trixie is as great and powerful as she said. For those who say that it wouldn't have happened if Trixie hadn't bragged about it, I'll point is this: if someone had said that in their military life they killed a bunch of bad guys, would it be prudent to go and find a gang just to prove to folks he can do it? Yea it's very asinine of what they did.

Then finally, after getting Trixie humiliated and having her cart destroyed, nearly risked pony lives with their stunt, their punishment is to only clean up the destroyed cart and to receive mustaches...

All I can say, those are why I despise those two characters.

Conclusion: This is easily the worst episode I have seen so far. While Trixie may attract interest from many folks for her personality, and Twilight lifting the ursa minor feat and character can attract minor interest too, however with how badly behaved Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and AJ were that the episode ignored in favor of treating Trixie as the villain, Twilight's idiotic and unnecessary subplot, and Snips and Snails characters and actions they've caused, Boast Busters is easily the worst episode I have seen yet.

Score: 4.5/10

Grade: F

• Like 3

I honestly wish I had something more to say than, "I pretty much agree with you." But... I pretty much agree with you. Applejack, Dash and Rarity were just big assholes and, as childish as this might sound, literally started it. It's VERY bad writing when, by the end, I wanted to slap all three of them and Spike.

• Like 1

The seventh episode of season 1 and of the FIM series, Dragonshy. It is written by Meghan McCarthy and storyboard artists Sabrina Alberghetti and Nicole Wang.

This is notably the first episode in the series that would use a bland credits list instead of the fancier one the previous six episodes would use before. According to an unauthorized show asset leak on September 21, 2015, Princess Celestia was referred to as Queen Celestia. The leak also revealed that despite what fans had initially believe, it was Dragonshy where Fluttershy's ability 'the stare' was actually referred to as such, not the later s1 episode staremaster. The confrontation between the dragon and the ponies was also originally more violent as Basil the Dragon, the primary antagonist of the episode, instead of simply throwing them to the ground at the entrance, the dragon actually throws them off the mountain save for Fluttershy and knocked them unconscious for it. Other than those mentioned originals that were edited out in the final product, there were no major plot changes in the Dragonshy episode.

Now onto the summary: when a Dragon tries to sleep on a nearby mountain, Princess Celestia tasks the mane 6 to coerce the dragon to sleep somewhere else as it's smog threatens to cloud Equestria in ash. However, one of it's members, Fluttershy is terrified at the prospect of facing against a dragon and slows the party down for it.

Positives:

1. The narrative for Fluttershy's story in this episode is superb.  In this episode, it would be Fluttershy's turn at having her character developed under Meghan McCarthy's pen. Here we are shown that the timid pegasus pony has a great fear in her that will be developed as the series progresses with her, Social anxiety. Now folks can point out that it was the fear of just simply facing the dragon itself that she was afraid of. What I would say is that while she is afraid of dealing with a creature that as she describes it as a huge, gigantic, terrifying, enormous, teeth-gnashing, sharp-scale having, horn-wearing, smoke-snoring, could eat a pony in one bite, totally all grown-up dragon, she is far more concerned with what others would view her as for showing her public fear about it. She does not want other ponies to view her as a coward that is terrified and scared of dealing with a creature, something that even her great animal care and instincts for it cannot overcome and thus her talents in caring for animals is meaningless.

Throughout this trek, while passing her fears up on other objects such as a mountain or cave, she also does everything she can to excuse herself from joining on this mission she was assigned to do by Princess Celestia whom her protege and student Twilight Sparkle will ensure it gets done, some of which were hilarious too. Than at the cave's entrance, when she has to go and faced the dragon with Twilight, she finally admits her fear for the dragon for her friends to realize and understand. This was a great wound to her pride as an animal carer as this shows that there is one creature even the great animal loving Fluttershy is too terrified of to deal with. This altered when Fluttershy saw her friends were in great peril, fearing far more the death of her friends than she were of the dragon at that moment, she overcame her fear and challenged the dragon directly. This not only caught the dragon off guard for how ferocious Fluttershy's stern speech towards him was, but it also helped to reveal that despite his tough dragon exterior, deep down he's a softie too. This would allow Fluttershy to use her great skills at caring for animals to good use as she manages to successfully convince the dragon to leave his abode for somewhere else.

That was an excellent moment of triumph for Fluttershy in overcoming her social anxiety as she was able to override her fear of being looked down upon for one moment in order to help save her friends showing that friendship really is magic. While her social anxieties would continue to plague her in the series for different reasons, here Fluttershy gets off to an excellent footing that will really hit it well for fans to be attracted to her character.

2. This is the first episode we are given a proper introduction to Fluttershy's pet bunny, Angel. While we had seen Angel Bunny before hand, this is the first episode where we really see how he actually is as a character. Our first impressions of him is that while he does seem to serve as Fluttershy's guide and aid when she needs it, at the same time he's also a jerk to her despite her care for him. While we certainly get a better look at him in later episodes in the series, I will do make note that the episode was the first to start creating Angel Bunny's character for the series to build up on.

3. This is probably the first episode to really emphasize Twilight as being the leader of the mane 6. While there has been past instances of Twilight showing some hint of her status with the mane 6, including the intro of the show, here this episode really hits it off and all but declares that Twilight is the leader of the mane 6 due to her taking overall command of the mane 6 at Celestia's behest and ensures that all of them go and deal with the objective at hand. While a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, I do have to give it a small positive for doing that.

4. Regardless of what your opinion on Rainbow Dash's behavior in the episode is, she, Applejack and Pinkie Pie proved to be effective in their roles for Fluttershy's narrative in the episode. Before I focus on Rainbow Dash, I will now focus on two other characters that I will say I liked as well. Applejack showed off her own selflessness and concern when she chose to help Fluttershy avoid climbing up the mountain and instead go the long way around despite how it would slow the party down waiting for them as it was the long way around. Than we of course see Pinkie Pie offering her own support to Fluttershy when she refused to jump a small gap on the mountain, singing a little cheer up song in 'A hop skip and jump'. This would help motivate Fluttershy to move forward, though she looked down and got scared for the jump only to realize it was a small one that a pony sized body can fit.

Those mentioned supporting roles would help in their own image as being helpful friends for those in need.

On that note: For those who are angry at Rainbow Dash for being harsh and mean to Fluttershy, not only did I see nothing wrong in what she did, but she was right to do so. Fluttershy was being a hindrance to the party and her past experiences with her as future episodes would tell would give her the ample knowledge to know that a scared Fluttershy is a useless Fluttershy and she has been imploring Twilight that she needs to get her off the team. It's rather fortunate for their sakes that Twilight didn't listened to her, but still Rainbow Dash had the right to behave like that as honestly I would've questioned why she's on the team too. In fact, I actually like the decision  to have a member on the team who doubts Fluttershy's worth and wishes her off so it can help make the conflict for Fluttershy more meaningful and rewarding when she does earn Rainbow Dash's respect after what she did to Basil the Dragon.

5. I liked that prep up scenes of the mane 6 sans Twilight and the episode's humor in general. Not only was it colorful in showing each of the remane five of how they prepare for their mission, but I just particularly liked of how humorous it was. Humor is also a good thing in the episode too.

6. I do like Basil the Dragon himself as well. One thing of positive that really enjoyed seeing in the episode was the portrayal of Basil the dragon, the red dragon himself. Here the episode really shows off that for the most part he's actually an alright bloke that seems to have a good nature on him and that the smog is merely a result of him sleeping and not doing anything harmful intentionally. We see that in the mane 6's attempts to get him off, his responses were understandable as he not only does not wish to be disturbed from his sleep and silently tells Twilight to go away and let him sleep, gets angry when Rarity tries to steal a part of his treasure horde, gets even more annoyed at Pinkie Pie's antics, and then finally gets pissed off when Rainbow Dash attacks his snout and seeks to move them off the mountain for their transgressions. 

It was there after Fluttershy stops being afraid of the dragon to save her friends from him. There, we see that despite the big guy's girth, he's really a softie of a dragon and didn't mean to cause trouble. There after Fluttershy helps convince him to leave which he willingly does.

This would be not only our first impressions of dragons outside of the pony raised Spike the dragon, but this is easily the most positive portrayal of them that we will see until S6's episode Gauntlet of Fire as we will find out later why in my review sessions.

7. The lesson of never lose faith in your friends as they can be a great source of strength when you need it most is a simple but very good lesson that still holds up in today's point in the series. I will say that I'm not a fan of alot of the lessons in S1 as I felt for the most part they were tacked on for the sake of meeting the quota of including an educational lesson for the young sprouts in the audience to learn and be taught by their carers. Here, I will say that this lesson uttered by Twilight at the end is not only a very effective one as we have come at points in our lives where when we needed help the most, our friends even at their expense can come and pull through for you in the end, but it's simplicity is also a very good lesson for young students to learn.

Negatives:

1. Despite the humor of it, Fluttershy yelling avalanche was there to force a scene and a joke. This is a small problem as for the most part it had a purpose and it executed it well. My issue what that scene was just how forced it was as not only did a simple leaf caused Fluttershy to yell Avalanche despite repeated warnings from the remane five not to, but she also inadvertently risked her friend's lives for it. Still I'm not going to push this point too hard due to how Fluttershy at least had a justifiable if exaggerated cause in that she was already on edge to begin with.

2. Rarity nearly managed to woo the dragon and could commence to convince him to leave, but due to her being strike with Plot induced stupidity, she would fail. One pony that I feel hurt the episode and is the worst negative in it was when it was Rarity's turn to convince the dragon to leave. Not only was she the best other than Fluttershy to do it, but she nearly succeeded it too as it seemed the dragon was going to listen to her honeyed words. However, Rarity allowed her greed for gems get the better of her as she decided that fetching his gems was more important than getting a dragon threatening Equestria off his mountain. This would result in the Dragon becoming infuriated at her deception but also would ensure it would be Fluttershy to save the day despite Rarity nearly having that moment too. Finally, her frustration at not getting any of the dragon's gems and the crown only served to further annoy me for Rarity's behavior in that scene.

Conclusion: Dragonshy is by far the best episode I have seen in my review rewatch of FIM series so far as this did  establish Fluttershy's conflict in the episode's objective to remove a dragon expertly and really is the first episode to give Fluttershy her series long social anxiety issues. I also enjoyed the episode's humor, spotlights on Twilight, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Basil the Dragon, Angel Bunny, and yes even Rainbow Dash. And it's lesson was really the first in the show for me to really enjoy and not feel it being so tacked on as the importance of having faith in your friends when you need them the most is a good lesson for folks to understand and rely on with especially great friends. However, this episode fails to achieve the perfect A+ score due to Rarity's plot induced stupidity moment in dealing with the dragon that knocked that gold star away from it. Still, this is easily the best episode I have seen thus far in my watch through.

Score: 9.0/10

Grade: B+

• Like 3

Oh yeah Dragonshy is pretty good. Also I don't get the hate for Boat Busters it has a simple setup of the cocky villain and with the theme of the show it is obvious why no one would like her. I'm not saying the episode is amazing but it was a good setup to bring Trixie who was an effective villain without even doing something big. She is a mean girl and she plays that role perfectly....better than Sunset Shimmer. I can say more about Boat Busters when I caught a rerun on Discovery while watching SU reruns on CN before switching to TTG.(I always change the channel.). But yeah Boat Busters does everything right and has a decent pay off. It was a good way to show us that there are other sway to be evil in MLP than causing an end of the world scenario.

Edit: I agree with Griffon Brush off though. I felt boat Busters did a better job than Griffon Brush off in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

Oh yeah Dragonshy is pretty good. Also I don't get the hate for Boat Busters it has a simple setup of the cocky villain and with the theme of the show it is obvious why no one would like her. I'm not saying the episode is amazing but it was a good setup to bring Trixie who was an effective villain without even doing something big. She is a mean girl and she plays that role perfectly....better than Sunset Shimmer. I can say more about Boat Busters when I caught a rerun on Discovery while watching SU reruns on CN before switching to TTG.(I always change the channel.). But yeah Boat Busters does everything right and has a decent pay off. It was a good way to show us that there are other sway to be evil in MLP than causing an end of the world scenario.

Edit: I agree with Griffon Brush off though. I felt boat Busters did a better job than Griffon Brush off in my opinion.

Glad you like Dragonshy :)

My reasoning for Boast Busters is more that she was forced into being a villain simply cause the narrative called her to be one but also the setup for it was very bad. Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash were bigtime hecklers to her stage performance when she didn't do anything wrong other than just trying to be a good entertainer. If it were the real life, Trixie would have had security kick those three out for being rude audience. Trixie herself was fine, but she was dealt a rather shitty hand that she had nothing to do with it other than the plot demanded it and she was treated as the bad guy when Rarity, Rainbow dash, and Applejack behaved far worse than she did. Course there were other issues about the episode like Snips and Snails and Twilight's idiotic behavior for their own reasons that I didn't like either that made it a pretty shitty episode imo.

Admittingly, Griffon the Brush Off wasn't good either, just I felt it did more stuff and better such as Pinkie Pie's character dynamics with Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash that I liked too and Gilda's antagonist role was more justifiable in comparison to Trixie's.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

According to an unauthorized show asset leak on September 21, 2015, Princess Celestia was referred to as Queen Celestia. The leak also revealed that despite what fans had initially believe, it was Dragonshy where Fluttershy's ability 'the stare' was actually referred to as such, not the later s1 episode staremaster. The confrontation between the dragon and the ponies was also originally more violent as Basil the Dragon, the primary antagonist of the episode, instead of simply throwing them to the ground at the entrance, the dragon actually throws them off the mountain save for Fluttershy and knocked them unconscious for it.

All of this is news to me. Hmm... Interesting. This is one of my all time favorites and I agree with all of your points.

Maybe not so much the second negative. Not that I think it's entirely excusable that Rarity would get distracted like that, but there is an argument to be made somewhere around here that Rarity kinda is like that. i guess it just doesn't bother me enough to deduct from my opinion of the episode. It's something that i like to say about MLP. Usually, there are three "pillars" in an episode: the characters, the humor and the charm. Everything else is just too good for me to complain too much about Rarity. But i definitively see where you're coming from.

• Like 1

I can see what you're saying Nuke but Trixie really was pumping herself up and not being able to handle criticism made her look like a butt. Let's remember this show is for little girls so this episode works better for them than us I think.

16 hours ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

I can see what you're saying Nuke but Trixie really was pumping herself up and not being able to handle criticism made her look like a butt. Let's remember this show is for little girls so this episode works better for them than us I think.

Aye I hear you about the targeted audience. I just wish they came up with a better reason for me to hate Trixie as I ended up hating Rarity, AJ, RD, Snips, Snails alot more than what Trixie was said to be bad for. As a result, the episode is not an episode that I believe one should let their child to watch other than purely for it being a FIM episode as it imparts a wrong view on how things work in that circumstance.

Look Before you Sleep is the eighth episode of Season 1 and of the FIM series. It is written by Charlotte Fullerton with storyboard artists Francisco Avalos and Mike West lending their expertise.

The episode's title is a pun on the meaning 'Look before you leap', and speaking of which, according to Charlotte Fullerton, the episode's original title was 'Opposites Attack' to emphasize the episode's narrative of AJ and Rarity trying to get along.

The episode's summary is that Charity and Applesack er I mean Rarity and Applejack are forced to enter into Twibright's ah, I mean Twilight's tree home after a nasty storm forces them to take up residence there much to their chagrin as neither AJ or Rarity wishes to spend time with each other any longer.

Positives:

1. This is the first episode that really starts explaining a bit on the relationship between Pegasus ponies and the weather they control. A first I noted here is that this episode was the first to actually give an explanation on how the weather works in Equestria a bit besides Pegasus ponies clearing clouds. When the Pegasus ponies miss a scheduled weather say like a drizzle, they're to make it up with a more severe weather. While this implies that all of the severe weathers that causes damage and even death in Equestria is a result of Pegasus incompetence, at the same time however it does help a bit on the lore of Equestria to where it would help us to better understand how weathers in Equestria work.

2. This is also the first episode where we got our popular Rarijack pair up. One thing to note here is that this is our first episode where we not only focus on these two and their dynamics towards each other, but also where these two start hitting it off with each other in their friendship. While I'm not going to say that I enjoyed it, however I will at least give the episode credit for having that happen at least.

Here we are shown in contrast between Rarity and Applejack where Rarity likes to pay attention to the little details and is very diligent and careful with her actions while at the same time prefers to be well mannered too. Applejack on the other hand is more relaxed if not unkempt in her manners as she doesn't fuss over those little details like Rarity does but at the same time she cares far more with the bigger picture and wishes to get that part done however it can be. Thus the two share a different take on things and as a result they immediately do not start liking each other as Rarity views Applejack as too disorganized, careless, and messy with whatever she sets her mind out too and Applejack in turn views Rarity as too prissy and pays far more attention to the less important stuff over the most important thing they should do.

This does at least does a good job of showing the two's differences and such a character dynamic can prove useful in future episodes as we've seen or in fanfiction stories for others to use for good character conflict.

Addendum, the episode's humor between the two does help build up the relative soft mood in the treehouse and their slumber party as my favorite was when they told thinly veiled attacks at each other's perceived problems as ghost stories.

3. I loved the headless horse scene. Easily my favorite moment in the episode was when after Rarity and AJ told their thinly veiled ghost stories that attacked each other's perceived flaws in AJ's story on Rarity's prissy attitude and Rarity on AJ's uncouth and rude behavior, Twilight takes over and tells her own ghost story which is the one on the tale of the headless horse, a clear twist on the classic tale of Washington Irving's the Legend of Sleepy Hallow. Here, not only did the frightful theme, the stormy and dark atmosphere, and the tension built up around them helps sell this scene for best effect in a kid's cartoon. This scene alone can make good fanfiction material for anyone that wishes to try a pony take on the classic Irving tale.

Negatives:

1. Rarity and Applejack's had their moments of overreaching their behavior towards each other. While the episode did hit off on the opposites attract trope well enough for us to see the working differences between Applejack and Rarity and be entertained by their constant annoyed attacks on each other, there were a couple of moments that did soured my mood towards them on both sides.

A. Applejack daring Rarity to go outside and ruin her mane by the rain. This was nothing but a pure spite move from AJ.

B. Rarity in her own spiteful but more understandable action when you consider how abrasive AJ was to her.

Upon retrospective, I do at least admit that the problem here isn't anywhere near as bad as I said it was so I apologize for treating this point more harshly than it deserves.

2. And to ensure that both Rarity and AJ can resolve their differences, Twilight, the ursa minor carrying unicorn was struck with a bad case of plot induced stupidity. In another case where Twilight gets struck by Plot induced stupidity, this time where Twilight panics and is paralyzed with indecision as her sleepover book, the thing she used to help guide her in the sleepover didn't told her of what to do when a tree comes crashing through your home. I'm sorry Twilight but considering there's a huge object that caused massive damage to your home, your first thought should've been how can I remove this instead of depending upon a book for an answer. Hell you have telekinesis that was strong enough to easily lift a building sized bear all the way from Ponyville to it's cave home, that alone can easily rectify the situation but because the episode's narrative needed Aj and Rarity to get along, we cannot have Twilight go 'rawr magic powers' on it. 

Conclusion: Look before you sleep is a much better start for the rarijack combo than I had anticipated or reviewed initially as the funny slice of life romp proves effective, but Twilight's major plot induced stupidity moment hampers the episode from achieving greater. 

Score: 7.5/10

Grade: C

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

Look Before you Sleep

Applesack and Charity I can forgive. Twilight was painful to watch in this episode, specially when re-watching it today. I don't even know how I would've made this episode. If the characters were to be "respected", the night would just have been normal and in the end it feels like one of those ideas that should just have been canned or left as a setup for another plot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

Applesack and Charity I can forgive. Twilight was painful to watch in this episode, specially when re-watching it today. I don't even know how I would've made this episode. If the characters were to be "respected", the night would just have been normal and in the end it feels like one of those ideas that should just have been canned or left as a setup for another plot.

I like to know more on what you thought was more problems with Twilight's behavior in the episode please. I like to improve in that viewpoint please.

@Nuke87654

I don't really have much more to say that you haven't said yet.

It's just that...

Twilight Sparkle: It's... Well, it's not okay. There's a giant tree branch in the middle of my bedroom, and the book doesn't say anything about having a giant tree branch at your slumber party. Or at least I haven't found that entry yet. Ooh... ah!

Applejack: What in tarnation are y'all doin' over there?

Rarity: Cleaning up this mess somepony made. Who was that again? Oh, right, that's you.

Applejack: We gotta do somethin'!

Twilight Sparkle: Baking... BFFs... Brothers... There's nothing in here about branches.

Applejack: [grunts] Rarity, for pony's sake, stop sweatin' the small stuff and help me get rid of this thing! I said hussle over here and help me! Look, I'm sorry, all right?

Rarity: What was that?

Applejack: I said I'm sorry! I shoulda listened to you when you noticed where this here branch would end up. Yer annoyin' attention to detail would'a saved us from this whole mess. But right now, ya need to stop bein' so dang fussy pickin' up all the little things and help me move the one big thing in here that actually matters! Please!

Rarity: Uh. Uh, but I'll get all icky.

Applejack: Consarnit! What the... eh... you... I mean, yes, ickiness is often a side effect of hard work. But y'all need to get over it, on account I just can't fix this mess I made myself. I need your help.

Rarity: Oh. Let's do this.

Twilight Sparkle: Well, they do have a section about backyard slumber parties. Is that what we're doing right now? Does this count as camping?

Twilight wasn't being sarcastic. The intention was to make Twilight look naive, but that wasn't being cutely naive. That was cringe worthy. I don't think a six years old would say anything like this unless he LITERALLY spent his whole life isolated in a vault with only books to be released into the world in a sick experiment.

Man... Not that any of the characters came out of this episode looking good, if you ask me, but Twilight took it to another level. I mean, in this kind of story, the idea is that you put the characters in a situation, blow it out of proportion and then you have one character that is the audience's anchor in the middle of the madness so that the audience can put themselves in the place of that character and relate to their reactions. This is formulaic and there can be variations of the idea, obviously. The problem is that Twilight seems... "Too off". It kinda reeks of flanderization. In the middle of something bad happening, Rarity is trying to make things pretty. Applejack is being short sighted. Twilight is looking for branches in the book. I don't like any of them, but it's like all of the took the short stick and Twilight managed to take an even short stick.

• Like 1

I actually don't have any real problem with Applejack and Rarity's behavior here. They've both got pretty different worldviews and come from things with a different viewpoint. Applejack's about the big picture, while Rarity focuses on the details. I can definitely see them having very little interaction before the series premiere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Metemponychosis said:

@Nuke87654

I don't really have much more to say that you haven't said yet.

It's just that...

Twilight wasn't being sarcastic. The intention was to make Twilight look naive, but that wasn't being cutely naive. That was cringe worthy. I don't think a six years old would say anything like this unless he LITERALLY spent his whole life isolated in a vault with only books to be released into the world in a sick experiment.

Man... Not that any of the characters came out of this episode looking good, if you ask me, but Twilight took it to another level. I mean, in this kind of story, the idea is that you put the characters in a situation, blow it out of proportion and then you have one character that is the audience's anchor in the middle of the madness so that the audience can put themselves in the place of that character and relate to their reactions. This is formulaic and there can be variations of the idea, obviously. The problem is that Twilight seems... "Too off". It kinda reeks of flanderization. In the middle of something bad happening, Rarity is trying to make things pretty. Applejack is being short sighted. Twilight is looking for branches in the book. I don't like any of them, but it's like all of the took the short stick and Twilight managed to take an even short stick.

Aye I agree that while the formula can work if the characters at least behave in a manner that is within character. As you mentioned, I just felt Rarity and AJ were too antagonistic to each other for me to really enjoy it and Twilight was just too idiotic for my liking.

1 hour ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

I actually don't have any real problem with Applejack and Rarity's behavior here. They've both got pretty different worldviews and come from things with a different viewpoint. Applejack's about the big picture, while Rarity focuses on the details. I can definitely see them having very little interaction before the series premiere.

True and I would've liked it more if they didn't went too far to having them go at each other's throats as it felt too mean spirited for my liking considering what they did to each other.

But I will list both of your's points in an update of this review.

• Like 1

Dude you just gave one of the funniest episode of season 1 and of all MLP an F. Okay...time for me to actually go on a rant. Not against you but against the modern cartoon reviewers.

1.  STOP BEING SO DAMN SENSTIVE TO MEAN-SPIRITED HUMOR.

I'm sick of tired of episodes that are fine and are made for comedy purposes getting ripped apart from the sensitive snowfalkes. All their arguments boil down to," Why is everyone so mean?!" You must have been bullied a lot in school.

2. the 90s were pretty much mean spirited central

If people can praise the 90s so highly and still consider it a golden age in animation. I really find it hypocritical for people to rip a show or an episode of anything on the sole basis for characters not being nice to each others.

3. Cartoons are for children. Remember that my friends.

No matter how much people like Sugar, Faust, and Hircsh push the medium forward. These are still for children. Mean spirited humor has always been a hotseller. Our society needs to stop being so sensitive.

Sorry about that. Nothing against you Nuke but I hate how the modern cartoon reviewers calls something bad base on the basis of, "WAHHH you're being mean to someone!" It just bothers me how sensitive everyone has gotten and think we should have tougher skin.

7 hours ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

Dude you just gave one of the funniest episode of season 1 and of all MLP an F. Okay...time for me to actually go on a rant. Now against you but against the modern cartoon reviewers.

1.  STOP BEING SO DAMN SENSTIVE TO MEAN-SPIRITED HUMOR.

I'm sick of tired of episodes that are fine and are made for comedy purposes getting ripped apart from the sensitive snowfalkes. All their arguments boil down to," Why is everyone so mean?!" You must have been bullied a lot in school.

2. the 90s were pretty much mean spirited central

If people can praise the 90s so highly and still consider it a golden age in animation. I really find it hypocritical for people to rip a show or an episode of anything on the sole basis for characters not being nice to each others.

3. Cartoons are for children. Remember that my friends.

No matter how much people like Sugar, Faust, and Hircsh push the medium forward. These are still for children. Mena spirited humor has always been a hotseller. Our society needs to stop being so sensitive.

Sorry about that. Nothing against you Nuke but I hate how the modern cartoon reviewers calls something bad base on the basis of, "WAHHH you're being mean to someone!" It just bothers me how sensitive everyone has gotten and think we should have tougher skin.

1. I enjoy mean spirited humor, it's just that this one in particular just felt like it pushed it further than I like to the point I felt the characters weren't in character. An example, would it make sense that AJ essentially force someone to ruin something they know they care very much just to be very spiteful? That's my issue with the episode, it wasn't AJ and Rarity being mean to each other, it was how far they pushed it just to simply be an asshole to each other despite how their characters have shown they aren't into such lengths. I mean how does it make sense the one who is proud at being called an honest and dependable pony is also one who would gladly ruin something you care about if you just are simply being an ass to them which we haven't seen since or the more understandable but still an asshole move on Rarity's part to essentially force AJ to apologize before she consider doing anything for AJ. Besides I felt it didn't do much of anything else in the episode for me to enjoy something else.

2. I know and I agree it's hypocritical if they miss the point of it or so as alot of the humor in the 90's is mean spirited and to critique stuff now for it without context is bad on their part.

3. Yes I agree with those points. That don't mean I can't criticize cartoons for their quality either. Especially one I' am invested in as I like it to be good too.

Understandable, I hope to avoid that honestly in my reviews as I dislike many of them too.

What do you have in mind for other parts in the episode I misinterpreted or so.

1. I felt it worked well within the plot since AJ isn't use to a sleepover and Rarity is. AppleJack is rough and there was an episode later in the series that did this plot again. So the show is going out of their way to show how one is fancy and rough. I found what they did to each other to be funny and how not only they resolve it but how both Rarity and applejack work together to stop the treehouse from being destroyed.

2. Not much to add here.

3. Yeah it's for kids doesn't protect it from criticism.

Well there was another one. You felt Twilight was being stupid for the sake of plot. I disagree with this. She was just trying to be a good friend and find a way to kill time. Also keep in mind she sent to ponyville to learn about friendship. If this episode happen after season 3 you would have more of a point but here. Her being naive to situation works out fine since she ends up being the glue to bring them together.

1 hour ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

1. I felt it worked well within the plot since AJ isn't use to a sleepover and Rarity is. AppleJack is rough and there was an episode later in the series that did this plot again. So the show is going out of their way to show how one is fancy and rough. I found what they did to each other to be funny and how not only they resolve it but how both Rarity and applejack work together to stop the treehouse from being destroyed.

2. Not much to add here.

3. Yeah it's for kids doesn't protect it from criticism.

Well there was another one. You felt Twilight was being stupid for the sake of plot. I disagree with this. She was just trying to be a good friend and find a way to kill time. Also keep in mind she sent to ponyville to learn about friendship. If this episode happen after season 3 you would have more of a point but here. Her being naive to situation works out fine since she ends up being the glue to bring them together.

1. Aye I bet they will do that plot again. It was never said AJ had never experienced a sleepover but just one where AJ was dealing with stuff that she wasn't used to doing like mud masks and neither is rarity use to sleepovers but just knows how to make use of mud masks and such as an example as it was never said that either have never experienced or had in doing sleepovers. From what I saw, it felt they pushed it too far to the point that both were being belligerent assholes and pulled some bad punches at each other for it that they normally wouldn't have gone to such lengths.

2. Alright.

3 Agreed.

My issue with Twilight's behavior is of how instead of using her noggin to solve the problem before her, she went and sought for it in the book to help solve it for her. This goes against the previous episodes shown where Twilight didn't needed a book to guide her on what course of action to take. It was a case of plot induced stupidity as without Twilight being hogtied by the book and she goes and use her telekinesis to lift it, which the boast busters episode showed she easily had the strength to lift the tree up, than Rarity and AJ never would've needed to come together to solve the problem on their own.